• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting the most out of yoshi's chaingrabs.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Against some characters, instead of simply dash grabbing after a grab release, you can dash dance to grab. In other words, flick the control stick the opposite direction and quickly flick it back and grabbing at the same time. Because you are retreating and catching your opponent with the tip of yoshi's tongue, you would be able to land more grabs.

I have tested it on metaknight on final destination with both methods from one end to the other. Normally you'd be able to get 4 grabs in. By dash dancing pivot you are able to get 7.5 in (that .5 was from being able to grab mk offstage). It's a considerable amount more, but we won't always be playing on final D and we won't always have a full stage walkoff. So realistically, you'd be able to get about 2 more grabs in than usual.

Again, it's something that works but unless you perfect your timing, i don't recommend using it. You pretty much have to time it perfectly, a lot of times you'd try it to early only to get a roll instead. Not flicking the control stick fast enough would just have you foxtrot on the opposite side.

If yoshi's grab chewing did more damage, I'd go all out crazy on this, but they don't. It could be useful if your opponent is at higher percentage. If you want to improve your yoshi but don't know how....practice this >_>

I will do some tests on level 9 computers, with different percentages, and on different maps. This would give a rough idea on how much more damage you can expect from those extra grabs.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I really don't see this being that useful and probably didn't deserve a thread.

We had three new techy threads tonight.

We need a tech thread stickied this is getting ridiculous.

Depster

Smash Champion
The only problem with it is, is that so many grabs already take frame perfect timing, that MK is almost the only one that it would help with, though what is wrong with having more against MK?

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
The only problem with it is, is that so many grabs already take frame perfect timing, that MK is almost the only one that it would help with, though what is wrong with having more against MK?
yep, it would only work against characters on the easy chaingrab list.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Nothing wrong with it, but you miss, your screwed.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Not exactly, and that would put you at a horrible position. You'd miss then go towrds MK, he could easily charge an Fsmash a bit.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Ok, so there's like a set amount of grabs though? Like it said four before the dashdance thing, so is 4-6 an accurate number? Then times however many chews I guess, and that would change with percentages obviously.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Also who cares about stale moves. If you keep chewing, it refreshes your other stale moves. Is it possible to pivot grab the other way for CG-able people. like you dash past where you would normally CG them and do a pivot grab.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Normally not. They'd have to have a release or knockback similar to Wario to do that.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
this could be useful to get the right position for the release spike ;o
That would be the best use for it.

If you know the distance you get from both dash dance and normal grabs, you'd be able to use a combination of both in order to reach the stage sweetspot.

Top Bottom