• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting the Grab

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone I searched the I.C's forum and there is alot of threads about what to do when you have grabbed your opponent. I didn't see any threads for different ways to get the grab. So maybe we can all compile our ideas or techniques to get the grab so we can pull of grab combos, CG's and alt throws to your hearts content. I can edit this post as suggestions roll in.

As far as grabs go we have at our disposal the standing grab, dashing grab, Pivot grabs and pivot wave grabs (let me know if im missing any)

Now I currently dont have anyone to really play with so ill be going by what I have seen in videos, me messing around with CPU's(I know dont even say it) and what i've read here on smashboards.

-De-sync ice blocks can cause the opponent to shield spot dodge or roll which could lead to a dashing grab.

-In the standing Nana De-sync thread by Dreamscythe theres a really good idea for making grabs safer, the super grab. basically you grab with one I.C and the other rolls behind the opponent so even if you miss the grab you can still defend yourself or follow up.

-De-sync squall hammer. If you hit with it you should be able to get a grab while the enemy is stuck in the hammer.

-De-sync Blizzard and grab while being stalled by the attack. or if opponent shields or rolls react with a grab.

-If an opponent trys to hit you with a laggy attack you can spot dodge to grab or Perfect shield to grab.

-Shiled grab when opponent press attackbutton while hanging on a ledge..
A smart opponent won't fall for it, but if you jab 1 or 2 times while they're hanging there you can trick them into thinking their "climb up attack" will hit you! same with the stand up attack if opponent doesn't roll or tech.

Keep the ideas coming If you add something to the thread I'll edit it up here and post the names of people that added ideas.

I would like to thank
-Demonic Trilogy,MrNaruhodou,Falcos_feather and Dreamscythe

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
quick question for anyone If an opponent trips and you hit him with a jab or ice block would he stand up like when there on the ground after a failed tech or would it just knock them back ? I would check but its too late right now.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Great thread, man. I have a few ideas but I would need to play Brawl more in order to test them out.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
quick question for anyone If an opponent trips and you hit him with a jab or ice block would he stand up like when there on the ground after a failed tech or would it just knock them back ? I would check but its too late right now.
No, that wouldn't work. They would need to be comepletely on the ground as if you DThrow to FAir'd them at 40+.

Falcos_feather

Smash Apprentice
Shiled grab when opponent press attackbutton while hanging on a ledge..

A smart opponent won't fall for it, but if you jab 1 or 2 times while they're hanging there you can trick them into thinking their "climb up attack" will hit you!

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice

A smart opponent won't fall for it, but if you jab 1 or 2 times while they're hanging there you can trick them into thinking their "climb up attack" will hit you!
I used to do that to my nub friends in melee. Most of them didn't ledge hop can;t believe I didn't think of that

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman

i've never thought about that.
great tip.

Slush

Smash Cadet
Wow, theres a lot of great ideas here, thanks everyone. What I usually do is try to get them occupied (desynched nana attacking them, or have them fighting nana first) then I'll go in for the grab.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I'm trying to get the hitlag desynch down because I feel like that'll open up some **** opportunities. Sadly, though, the Wii is broken so I haven't been able to practice anything ever since my last tournament.

One of my ideas is double Uair -> hitlag desynched doublejump Nana Fairspike while Popo fast-falls ->grab

Most people usually airdodge after the first Uair and the Fair is just laggy enough to maybe catch them out of their airdodge, methinks. Getting Nana to double jump and then Fair may be tricky though. I'm thinking that doublejumping with up on the analog and Fairing with the c-stick may work.

I dunno though. I've been going weeks on end without smash of any kind in between tourneys. I guess you guys could try it out.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
usually, when i focus solely on getting a grab i get *****. but waiting for the opportunity (you know when you naturally grab with any other character?) to present itself works wonders. your opponent EXPECTS you to try and grab every other second, so not focusing much on it will open up opportunities that your opponent won't worry about until it's too late...

Smasher89

Smash Lord
hmm, not sure, I´m not able to test this, but dode to do an utilt>grab might work, I would like to want if it works against R.O.B since noone here uses him against my ICs yet^^ and when they do I want to have an edge in knowing the matchup better then the one icking him up...

Not sure, but dashattack to dairspike to grab should work on low %

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Are you sure the Pivot Wave Grab works to get a grab? I don't even see how you can get a grab with the little bit of slide that you get from the Ice Climbers' PWG.

I've done it like...once, and I think they were running at me.. v.v

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure the Pivot Wave Grab works to get a grab? I don't even see how you can get a grab with the little bit of slide that you get from the Ice Climbers' PWG.

I've done it like...once, and I think they were running at me.. v.v

Well if you did it once then the answer would be yes. I wasn't saying that I use it often it's just something the the ice climbers can use.

Top Bottom