• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting the best of grenades: A personal guide and invitation to discussion

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
Grenades are sometimes undervalued, and I'm here to value them.
Since they're slow and unlikely to hit with, I've seen at least one criticism of sheik's grenades. Since I've fallen in love with them and relished exploring their usefulness with a zeal emphasized by the uselessness of the move it replaced, I thought I'd share my thoughts here. To me, the grenades represent the crux of sheik's new crowd control game. They're disruptive and cumbersome, and the chief misunderstanding I see about them is people who think too much about the damage they do (inconsistently any) moreso than the behaviors they cause (consistently tons).

First, do no self-harm
Getting the most out of grenades is all about learning when it's safe to put them down. They have a long startup time, but you have relative control over when you pull the pin and regain control quickly afterwards, so it can be easy to set a grenade where and when you want it while something is keeping your opponent indisposed. Once the string is pulled, it's like a free action: something in a place you picked on the stage is sucking air and blowing up, and that causes all kinds of disruption for, thanks to your shrewd judgment, no self-cost. When it's safe to put grenades down varies wildly from situations so all I can say is experiment and use your judgment. Seek, and ye shall find. Some characters create fewer openings than others. But any time you can find a time to put the grenade on the field for "no cost", it creates chaos you can use to your advantage of the sort I will describe hence. I put "no cost" in quotes because putting a grenade down must usually be done in favor of -some- action or another as a strict principle of time management, but I like it for its capability to take control of the battlefield when more directly aggressive actions don't feel safe.

One of my favorite techniques for creating a safe zone to put grenades down is to pop people who are over 100% with a single needle and throw a grenade down while they're recovering from it. It's an extremely easily acquired opportunity to make their life more difficult.

Crowd control: Pressure
There's a whole world of grenade use that has nothing to do with damaging your opponent with them. Once the string is pulled and you're free to move, every reaction your opponent makes to the grenade works to your advantage. Look, one characteristic of smash is that it's impossible to defend one way without opening yourself up in another. A popular response to grenades being dropped right on someone is throwing a shield up, and this is a perfect opportunity to grab them. An advancing roll can be punished, and a retreating roll can be used as an opening to refill a hand of needles. Jumping out of the way can be intercepted. And so on. Just watch out for direct charges and make sure you put the grenade down when and where it's hard for them to retaliate thus. It's hard to quantify, but I'd put it like this: the grenades give them something they have to deal with while your hands are free, and you get to take advantage of how they deal with it. Remember, you were clever and put the grenade down when they can't use it as an opening to attack you, so you're forcing them to deal with something annoying for free while you stand at the ready to capitalize.

Crowd control: Disruption
The vacuum does a lot of weird ****. Since it's chaotic it tends to disadvantage players affected by it by causing them to do something not exactly like they meant to, one way or the other. It's hard to make a list of this since it's so unpredictable, but grenades are generally about taking advantage of whatever comes. I've had fighters sucked backwards narrowly miss smash attacks, creating openings. I've had grenades pull fighters doing low recoveries away from the ledge, causing them to accidentally pop up in to the sky instead of grab the ledge, where they could be struck. You never know what the vortex will do, but again: Remember! You've learned to throw grenades out when it's safe to do so. They're like a free action, and you can use whatever pleasant surprise they bring to your advantage.

It should also be noted that the grenade itself striking for 1% when it comes out can be a funny interrupt that then causes the grenade to be unpinned directly on top of them. I've had quite a few people try and grab or attack me after they were hit directly with the grenade, only for it to subsequently blow up on them. That said, throwing a grenade directly at someone is NOT completely safe, and is against my main thesis about when to use grenades, so tool around with caution here.

Sometimes it DOES do actual damage
As I've mentioned before, the grenade's a gift box. You never know exactly how it's going to benefit you. Using it as often and disruptively as I do, it's not unusual that eventually someone just gets sucked in and blown up. That's all I can say. It happens. You never know. Like everything else about the grenade, use it to your advantage. Sometimes I'm predicting people will shield the blast so I run up to grab them, but they don't even shield correctly and end up getting blown up by the grenade directly in to my hands for me to pummel. It looks sick. I never know when it's going to happen, but it happens.

I hope this has helped change the way somebody thinks about grenades!

Last edited:

JuJux

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff. I always use that "no cost" time to charge needles tbh.
The only rare way I use grenade is when someone will grab the ledge and it's too late to perform an edgeguard, so I nade just where my opponent is supposed to do a get up (so my Sheik stay just where my opponent is supposed to roll). With a good timing you can limit his options :
- If he stays on the ledge : The nade will blow his face.
- If he does a get up attack : same ****.
- If he shorthops on the stage : The vortex will get him on the explosion.
- If he just gets up : He has to shield so it's a free grab (and with extremely good timing he gets damages from the nade as well).
- If he rolls : It's a free standing grab (you don't even have to move)

So what's left for him that is "safe" from taht nade :
- Dropping down and regrabbing the ledge : meaning a free BF/Fair for us.
- Jumping : meaning a free Fair/Uair/Bair (BF on some cases) for us.

Of course it's all about mindgame, the meaning of this is just making your opponent what you want him to do.

Plus : If you feel like the nade will blow on your opponent, do a BF, it will link with the "lag" of the explosion but it's kinda hard to do it in reaction (at high% at least) so you have to buffer it, so just do it when you're sure the nade will blow on him.

On an other note : It's kinda funny performing a nade on pikachu's Bneutral but since the BF do the same job with a way better reward/risk ratio, it's kinda pointless, just lolable !

Last edited:

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
You're absolutely right that free time is well spent on charging needles. To that I'd say the grenade is something nice to do for yourself when you already have a full hand or if the opening is large enough for a grenade but too small to collect many needles. Your ledge guarding pressure is very well done and I'll adopt some pieces of it!

I've done the grenade-fish chain. I once got two red lightning effects within a split second of each other that way. Gratuitous, but satisfying.

Last edited:

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
I don't have the game yet, but I'm glad to see someone using Burst Grenade. I don't see much talk about it and I've wanted to experiment with it. I've thought similarly to the use of Burst Grenade as pressure even if it doesn't do damage to the opponent.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
It works! An open mind and a determination to get the most out of grenades will take you far. It's like, every time you can safely put a grenade down, the field is in your favor for a couple of seconds, and that can be all sheik needs. The difference is tangible. I feel much safer and more in control when a grenade is in the process of going off. You just have to make sure the not-safe period is well-timed and well-protected, but I've said that a hundred times now, haven't I?

moy00

Smash Rookie
I use it a lot against projectiles. When the grenade collide with a projectile, it take the hit then explode a bit further.
Very effective against DeDeDe.

Last edited:

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
I use it a lot against projectiles. When the grenade collide with a projectile, it take the hit then explode a bit further.
Very effective against DeDeDe.
I recently noticed that too. The flying off the string behavior seems specifically suited to hitting the projectile user, doesn't it? How consistent is your success with it, and what projectiles have you found it works accurately on? Right now, I pull that trick off more by accident than at will, but it seems like an awfully elegant projectile counter.

Last edited:

moy00

Smash Rookie
I didnt test the trick in-depth, for now i use it mostly against Samus and DeDeDe. Its working well on mario's fireballs and link's boomerang aswell, probably on zss laser too, etc... Its not really hard to land if u can read the projectile game of your opponent, or against slow projectiles.

(it break Samus and Lucario's neutral B, dunno if it work when they are fully charged but i think so)

Last edited:

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I ended up hitting SK92 with a bunch of grenades at DVDA#4 yesterday. It made for a nifty, albeit risky, mindgame, but it worked pretty well because none of the other sheiks used grenades and he didn't know the move's properties. I don't see myself trying something like that again, though. The dark horse effect will only go so far, I fear. I also really love it on the ledge, and this is where I see it having at least 80% of its use. Next time I get the chance to play, I want to experiment with holding the string a little longer and timing it with my opponent's recovery, but I'm not sure exactly how fast it falls off the ledge. With ledge-snaps not happening as fast as they did in brawl, I think that they could be really nasty. They do great damage and their knockback is decent too.

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
It's interesting to witness, but it seems that high level Sheik players rarely use the grenade when engaged in the game.

It seems that in an situation that you would want to use the grenade, a better line of options is available.

For example, launching someone at near 50% towards the top right of the blast zone with you in the middle gives you considerable leverage.

Choosing to hop, cast the grenade out and extend it towards them may offer you disruption, damage, a kill, or nothing.

It is never an equal probability but you do have the odds mostly in your favor.

However, what if you could further press the advantage in your favor by dashing, jumping, and vanishing in their face to read an air dodge?

That's when the practicality of grenades fell for me.

After watching Orion and Denti over the weekend, I saw they placed Sheik off stage more than they would a grenade.

The grenade has good utility, obviously, but if you notice for a second that anytime the grenade is in motion, you are not.

All of your game rides on that string unti you pull it and the reward does not *usually* compare to what you can do yourself with your presence, aerial attacks, and speed.

But then there are niche applications to the grenade such as fishing one way off stage in order to bar entry, creating a trap, and then BFing them.

If you use it in order to box them in, in order for them to waste a dodge on the grenade instead of you, then I see its practicality.

Despite that, I still saw that a solid rush down game showed results a lone grenade would not.

Basically, you'll now when you have used it right. Otherwise, you'll see opportunities you could have taken escape you.

Last edited:

FierceFox

Smash Apprentice
"The grenade has good utility, obviously, but if you notice for a second that anytime the grenade is in motion, you are not.

All of your game rides on that string unti you pull it and the reward does not *usually* compare to what you can do yourself with your presence, aerial attacks, and speed."

My thoughts exactly. Grenade Burst may have more power than we currently know, but at this point, it seems pretty clear that using it limits not only the opponent, but also yourself. I recently picked up Sheik as for-fun character to use against my brother, but from what I've intuitively picked up is that it's all about knowing when to use them. NOT about whenever there's chance to use one, use one. For example, when playing Sonic using a Grenade Burst against a charging spinball will often be useful.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
I've never really found the item relevant. It disappears fast and is generally difficult to get because of the requirements for the grenade to appear.

The OP information for grenade is pretty outdated anyways, I think I might post something with newer information/applications on them actually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom