• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Started with Brawl, WTF is Going On?!?!

Wunobi

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I'm so ready to get flamed to death right now, but regardless. I really want to get into SSBB. I was at MLG Columbus for Halo and I just couldn't stop coming over to watch you guys play, it was so much fun, so much more lighthearted, and overall way cooler haha. I saw some dude in a Luigi hat kicking *** (Lou?), and thought his playstyle was pretty awesome. So anyway, how does one get into Brawl? Hows does one get good in Brawl? Anything at this point would be really awesome. Thanks in advance!
(Keep in mind I am absolutely clueless)

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
First, the guy with the green hat was BigLou.
Second, welcome on SWF/The Luigi boards.
Third, everything from learing about AT's/MU's and just practicing will get u better at the game.
So, just read all the topic's here, come by the GD once a while and try to play offline/wifi for actually knowing how good u are and what can approve.
Also, if you can get matches of you online of youtube orso, you can post it in the critique thread so others can give you advice.
I hope this cleared things up.

TreK

Is "that guy"
First, you need to know the ****load of rules we **** to make the game tournament viable. Most players tend to look down on the casual players, which is stupid and disgusting, but still happens.

As for going into the tourney scene succesfully, AFAIK, first people usually learn their characters by fighting cpus until they can 3 stock all the level 9 without gaying (= you shouldn't be abusing the fact that they always airdodge after being hit or that they suck at recovering to the stage. Just try to learn and recognize the situations where you're able to hit and create them legitly). This, actually, is easy and shouldn't make you proud when you are done beating them. However, it will be a sign that you understand and know your character and its foes well enough.
Then you go deeper thanks to smashboards : we have a plethora of videos in which you can see the best people play and use their movepools in a way you may have not thought of, or you can learn techniques and tricks. The Luigi boards aren't even the only place where you can learn how to play better. The 'tactical discussion' subforum has LOADS of threads about the mindset you should have when you play, the ways to make the most out of every situations, and other general stuff.

After doing that little training, we usually go to our first tourney, get *****, and come back home. BUT you should come back with questions for us, advices from the people who beat you, and more importantly, a little more experience. All of it will make you a better player. You'll get better and better at every tournament you go to, and hopefully you'll meet people that live near you, which will organize smashfests and invite you, which will add to the fun you have when playing, and to your own skill.
There's a section in this site where you can find the tournament listing, you should find one near you easily.

Lastly, I wouldn't advice playing wifi, Brawl's wifi lags so much that you'll feel like playing another game when competing in person... Playing wifi was my biggest mistake, but for some people it turned out to be good (ie ADHD came from wifi and is one of the three best players in the world in most players' opinion now).

btw, Luigi is top tier, it's just that noone knows about it yet. Good choice my dude =3

Wtf... Did I just.... Post something smart ? =O

BSP

Smash Legend
Lastly, I wouldn't advice playing wifi, Brawl's wifi lags so much that you'll feel like playing another game when competing in person... Playing wifi was my biggest mistake, but for some people it turned out to be good (ie ADHD came from wifi and is one of the three best players in the world in most players' opinion now).
Well, Wifi is actually pretty good for getting MU experience. Granted it's not the same thing as an in-person tourney, it still helps you improve. Like you said, ADHD played wifi and look where he is now (of course, that comes from talent too lol).

Wtf... Did I just.... Post something smart ? =O
Yep.

See, if we had Luigi's MUs done, Wunobi would have an easier time to look at who he needs to watch out for...(aka we need to get MUs done)

And welcome to SWF.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Aww, browsing the other character boards late at night brought me a smile :) I can't give Luigi advice, but I can give advice on getting into the game in general.

1. Play the game by yourself first. This means going through Classic mode with several of the characters (if not all of them just to see what they're like). At least try to unlock all of the characters first. This will get you acquainted with how the game works (though don't get used to items lol, they won't matter for long).

2. Play the game as your chosen main. If you do choose Luigi, then play as him against CPUs so you get more acquainted with his moves.

3a. Come read a guide. The Luigi Boards have all of their important threads listed in one thread, and you can find a slew of information to take your game to the next level.

3b. Watch videos. See how the pros do it, remember what they do, and try to emulate them. Don't just watch videos; pick them apart and analyze everything.

4. Play other people/wifi. This can be brought in earlier, but it is especially important after all of the other steps. After learning what your character can do, you need to play other people to learn how he/she actually does in matches. This will be the longest stage of development, as it's an ongoing process and takes a while to even get up to speed.

5. Don't get discouraged. Competitive Brawl is not an easy thing to get good at. It may seem lighthearted, and I supposed compared to other tournament games it is, but there's still a lot of work involved in progressing, and you're going to be bad for a while. You say you're a Halo guy, so I doubt you have a problem with fighting through the noob stage; just stick with it.

6. Don't main Metaknight. Ok, maybe this one isn't a rule, but if you don't know already, he's accepted to be the best character in the game. If you choose him, prepare to have your character constantly hated on (cuz haters gon hate).

And that's about it. Brawl really is a fun game to play; the wide cast of characters and stages provides a lot of variety in gameplay, and since every character has a unique personality you feel closer to him/her than you would just a guy in a suit with a gun. Also, the communities great and (mostly) friendly, so welcome to Brawl and enjoy it.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
My cat just ***** my long post so here is the tl;dr version.

Brawl is ****. Biglou is a rapist (the good kind). And listen to me even though I'm kinda mediocre cuz I post a lot.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
wifi sucks, whatever you do, don't take it seriously if you play it.
He's partially right; wifi can suck if you don't keep yourself within limits. Generally, I only play people in my state or those adjacent to it; otherwise, a significant amount of lag can really mess up gameplay, especially if you're new to the game. While wifi does not emulate in-person gameplay exactly, it's still a good way to become acquainted with what tactics which character uses; for example, you could see some of the banana tricks that Diddy Kong pulls. Several top Brawlers have used wifi as a practice tool. It can be useful, but at the end of the day real life matches are much more important.

Variable

Smash Ace
He's partially right; wifi can suck if you don't keep yourself within limits. Generally, I only play people in my state or those adjacent to it; otherwise, a significant amount of lag can really mess up gameplay, especially if you're new to the game. While wifi does not emulate in-person gameplay exactly, it's still a good way to become acquainted with what tactics which character uses; for example, you could see some of the banana tricks that Diddy Kong pulls. Several top Brawlers have used wifi as a practice tool. It can be useful, but at the end of the day real life matches are much more important.
Wifi can limit your success, and learning experience but overall it's a great tool, and if you don't go to many tournaments, or don't have much offline practice I think everyone should use it. That is unless you live in Alaska or something where your excluded from the rest of the population... But yeah, only play people in your state or along it's borders. Anything further is just a waste of time. But Wifi is a great teacher if you can get good practice without lag, use it to your advantage. I suggest getting an All is Brawl account and start playing people. It will give you a lot of experience and you'll most likely improve.

Top Bottom