• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Pwned with wolf

Absoltrainer

Smash Rookie
I'm new, but have decided to main wolf. Recently though I just get creamed around the middle of the matches. It's not cause I'm not sheild grabbing, stage scarring, Flash Canceling, short hopping etc.

I got most of the moves down. My problem is simply combos.

From what my friends tell me, I start out extremely strong usally getting the first kill, but as the game goes on, I get too predicatble and it's easiar to counter my moves. I know i probably am getting to easy and predictable. I'm not really sure of some good combos.

Any tips for combos?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
ANYWAY...

...it doesn't sound as if you need new combos as much as you just need more versatility to your playstyle. Just try mixing up your playstyle and using mind-games.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Fair to Bair to Bair to Bair to Bair to Bair to Bair to Bair to Bair to Bair to Dsmash works. That's how I get all my kills.

And being unpredictable is stupid, don't worry about playing smart or adapting or anything, it's the combos that's going to get you the win, not playing smart, don't listen to what anyone else tells you.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
nair to reflector to fsmash is a r4p3 comb0

...also, there are barely any combos in this game and the ones there are hardly matter. You're looking in the wrong direction.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
The wolf boards seem to be pretty funny as of late.

As for actual combos, they're not stuff you'll be using too much, besides the standard SHFF bair > whatever (fsmash is my favorite). FF uair is worth a mention, since it autocancels you can combo it into utilt and usmash sometimes, but combos are certainly not something to focus on.

This is brawl, it's not about combos, it's about 'mindgames'. Just work on being less predictable, it improves as you play better people who keep punishing you for it.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Actual combos are an outdated concept in Brawl. I'll give you some approaches though since one of the risks of playing Wolf is that you play a somewhat predictable character.

First off you NEED to Shine counter more (shine = reflector). It's hard to create openings with Wolf sometimes and this move greatly aids that. It's extremely quick and sets you up for your smashes. Nair to Shine to D-Smash or F-Smash makes a great approach. Nair is a deceptive move in its own right but it lacks a hitstun so use it at your own risk. D-Throw to Fire Wolf at mid percentages is also a good surprise move. You don't use (and not supposed to) Fire Wolf for conventional attacks but that move is deceptively good when you use it sparingly. Serious though only use that to follow up a Down Throw and then you can follow up with a Fair after that. Wall of Wolf a.k.a Bair spamming is also a nice way to keep opponents on edge. Its predictable but there isn't move you can do against it if you're on the defensive already. And if you can do the Boost Smash that's one more interesting/effective way to approach.

Oh and scaring isn't a must use move but its useful. I like canceling my Wolf Illusions since a lot of higher level players try to think ahead and predict what your going to do/where you're going to go and doing can throw off people. It requires timing and a lot of practice to get down though.

Also if you spam F-Smash a lot...stop. It's great as a punishing attack or when you have some distance but very punishable itself (ironic isn't it).

Mast3rofDarkness

Smash Rookie
I'd say that Wolf is good at a battle and plays differently than the Starfox clones Flaco and Fox. I tried playing Wolf but I'm better with Falco.

try some other charaters and see if your good with them

Top Bottom