• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting KOs

RichBrown

Smash Master
So I recently realized that getting KOs is sometimes a problem for me against top level players. I figured this would be a good discussion, since after all the goal of the game is to KO your opponent.

Similar to my other random ideas topic, just list as many different ways as you can think to get KOs, whether it be character specific, gimps, anything whatsoever that results in your opponent getting KOed.

Some stuffs I do:

1. Run at them, pivot just outside their range, then pivot grab/react to what they do: This is an old mindgame I used last year then totally forgot about then recently remembered. It's already hard enough to tell what Olimar is doing, so pivoting in front of them makes it look like you whiffed a pivot grab, when in reality you're very much mobile. Nice to do when you have a blue in front, leads to a quick throw (subnote: when you grab with a blue and they are in KO range, throw as fast as you possibly can so they can't DI).

2. Land-Usmash/Dsmash: Got this from playing weruop at Genesis. I used to have a horrible habit of just waiting to feel that hit on my shield for a grab, and he KOed me a lot by landing behind me (and sometimes even right in front of me) and FF-airdodge-smash.

3. Snake specific: KO after getting Dthrown. Just get up, and then Usmash. And before Dabuz rolls in here because he searched his name (<3) and says that's impossible, sometimes you just gotta wait like a second before you get up, it'll throw off their timing. I've KOed many a snake this way, and it also makes them think twice about doing the Dthrow too. This also isn't too bad for any sort of tech chase situation.

4. Reading their rolls with a charged Dsmash: idk apparently I'm good at this. You can also do this out of grab release.

5. Usmashing when they are on a edge of a platform: usually you get lucky and they fall off, and then you can just smash them again. I think most of you already know this one :p

6. I thought of a good one but then I forgot ugh

After that, I'm a little thin on getting KOs, apart from just hitting them with a KO move. So go ahead and list whatever you have.
Hilt if you feel this belongs in the random ideas topic or somewhere else just lemme know.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This deserves it's own thread.

A solid way I've gotten many KOs is to get the opponent to use their second jump somehow (easy on characters with bad aerial mobility like Luigi. :D), short hop an upb when they're within range, and then punish their airdodge with a dsmash. The timing on the dsmash is sooo nicely synched. Sometimes they'll have bad DI and they'll die around the 90s if you dsmashed near the edge. It's quick and effective.

ALSO, time your running upsmashes to when you think they'll dash at you. Many times they're too focused on spacing perfectly to expect any aggressive action from you. Al ly hits M2K with dash attacks all the time because he'll do this.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
if i grab at med-high%'s, i'll bthrow/fthrow across the stage rather than towards the edge, sometimes they di into it enough to carry them to their death on the other side of the stage

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Wow I don't remember reading this O:

Good read though rich. I think talking about kill options in general would be good for us.

Cook

Smash Master
I think this one's obvious, but early on in the matchup I like to jump at my opponent's shield a few times to find out if he's a shielder or a spot-dodger. If he's a spot-dodger then I hold onto that knowledge until it's KO time, then I jump at him like I'm gonna f-air, then n-air the spot-dodge.

When it's kill time I also like to foxtrot around so that I can quickly run in either direction for the up-smash/grab/f-air. I think it catches people off guard from time to time.

If I grab with a non-killing pikmin at kill percents sometimes I'll just pummel until the grab release; sometimes people panic and roll or spot-dodge. This doessn't work that often, though.

Intentionally whiffing an up-b sometimes makes people run in to punish, then you can get them with whatever (short hop up-b, obviously).

I'm guessing you guys probably already do these things or they don't work against good people, but you never know.

Noa.

Smash Master
When an opponent is on the ledge andare going to jump off from it I like to dair spike them onto stage and tech chase them into a dsmash.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I rely a lot on purple Uthrow, and Usmashing on my oponents openings. Opponents sheild a lot when they are about to die, so Uthrow with purple is the quickest kill move via throw.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
it wasn't dabuz who came in rich, it was me. it does not work against good snakes, unless it's a rare occasion they mess up. most good snakes dont.

-- in refence to you dsmashing after his dthrow

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
I agree that this thread should be updated. I use aerial attacks to rack up damage along with throwing pikmin, as well as doing mind games and being less predictable is one of the ways I try to increasing my chances in getting KO's with Olimar

Top Bottom