• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting a new CG controller.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
I have switched from using the wiimote and nunchuck controller style and transferred back to the good ol' gamecube controller. I am now very comfortable to using the GC controller. However, the one I have is not the best for me for several reasons. Here's a pic of it (Plus my uber computer in the background):

I've had this controller ever since I bought our gamecube bundled with melee back in 2007 or so. I have managed to keep it relatively clean. You cant see from the pic because my mom's camera sucks, but the surface area of the controller around the start button is smooth from my thumb rubbing against it from using it for a long time. The L and R buttons are in good shape, the springs still are very good in them, unlike my brothers. None of the buttons are sticky or hard to press.

I love this GC controller, and it was my first one too. However, I want to get a new one. Here's why:

- I want to customize my controller by painting it, because it will make it easy to tell mien apart from other peoples. However, I cannot do this because some of the screws have some weird crap gumming up the holes where you put the screwdriver in. Idk wtf it is, but it makes it so that I can't unscrew the case off! Yuck!

- Now when I brawl, my hands get sweaty. This is a HUGE problem, because the analog stick AND the C stick both have a bad grip. My thumb just slides right off of the analog stick during battle, and this gives me less maneuverability because I have to make sure my finger doesn't slip. This is not as much of a problem with the C stick because I just flick it when I need it.

- It feels like it's gonna break or something. When I'm pressing buttons, the thing creeeeeeeeeeeeks like an old wooden door. I hate that noise! It's probably just because it's old, and it doesn't affect the buttons at all.

- I've used other controllers made 3rd party manufacturers such as Mad Cats. The "Wings" on the sides that you place your palms on are much longer and placed at a more ergonomic angle than the stock controllers. It also has good grip there too, which makes sure my hand doesn't slip. It just makes me feel like I have better control. I can still use one that is of the standard gamecube design, but I really loved using one that was more shaped to my hands.

- My stupid brother ripped the grip entirely off of his GC controller, so he wants to use the one I have now. I'm gonna give him this one so he'll stfu and stop whining at me.

SO! I just wanted some input on what kind of controllers you guys use, and what kinds have the best grip etc. Here's that I'm aiming for:

- Exceptional grip for the analog sticks is key.
- No strange extra buttons that will ban you from tourneys. (Ex. Macro buttons)
- Preferably fits well to the shape of the hands.

Thanks a lot for reading. I don't care about price range on this one. Sending links to places such as Amazon or Ebay would be greatly appreciated. I'm really asking what the best controller you have ever used was, and where you got it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
- I've used other controllers made 3rd party manufacturers such as Mad Cats. The "Wings" on the sides that you place your palms on are much longer and placed at a more ergonomic angle than the stock controllers. It also has good grip there too, which makes sure my hand doesn't slip. It just makes me feel like I have better control. I can still use one that is of the standard gamecube design, but I really loved using one that was more shaped to my hands.
the analog sticks on third party controllers are almost universally terrible, I'd really recommend against it

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
I read your topic and thought, "there's a controller made for chaingrabs?!"

I suggest you stick to nintendo brand GC controllers (do NOT fall for imitations like I did and waste money). Nintendo-brand lasts the longest and works smoothest. There's simply no substitute.

Echofinder

Smash Rookie
my GC Controller has like 6 years old (or more) and still works but its pretty dirt :p

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I thought there was some stupid lawsuit or something and Nintendo wasn't allowed to make GC controllers anymore.

Or is that just GC controllers to be sold in America or something?

ehhhh

Top Bottom