• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia - Totally Official Tournament Legal Stage Discussion Thingy. (BARLW)

wavemasta170

Smash Rookie
i think that lylat cruise should b there. its a prettybasic stage if u actuall know how to play the game good. and bridge of eldin is not that hard its easy to jump iover the fat guy. but then again it can distract u from playing.
i think that lylat cruise should b a starter.

Rayku

Smash Lord
I think Bridge of Eldin doesn't have any question as to its legality or not.

I personally think Pictochat should be counterpick. If anyone else agrees with me, I'll come up with some reasoning. ZOM~B thinks Green Greens should be legal, but only because he kills stuff with Jigglypuff at 80% (while I kill him at 57).

Umby

Smash Master
Pictochat should probably be a legal CP. I'm a little iffy about Green Greens. Maybe we should try and temporarily legalize it to see the effects?

Rayku

Smash Lord
Pictochat should probably be a legal CP. I'm a little iffy about Green Greens. Maybe we should try and temporarily legalize it to see the effects?
Hehehe. New stage ban against Lounis :) Don't want Luigi killing me at 20

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
What's the goal you're looking for in the competitive scene character wise?

Do you want people to have to master several characters or would you like to allow someone to pick up one character and be able to master them and compete at a high level. You have to take that into concideration. Also keep in mind that "FUN" has nothing to do with competitive rules. I have fun with bombs, mines, hammers, and bats. Let's allow those!

All these are 100% legit in my opinion.

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Delfino

Unsure of these because I don't have much experience or knowledge of the gay stuff that can happen on them.

Green Greens
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion

I don't think any other level should be legal. I'm not going to waste time listing my reasons why because there are too many followers and opinionated people in this community that it wouldn't matter. Unless you want to hear them.

Please have a good reason for pictochat.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
i think that lylat cruise should b there. its a prettybasic stage if u actuall know how to play the game good. and bridge of eldin is not that hard its easy to jump iover the fat guy. but then again it can distract u from playing.
i think that lylat cruise should b a starter.
What's the goal you're looking for in the competitive scene character wise?

Do you want people to have to master several characters or would you like to allow someone to pick up one character and be able to master them and compete at a high level. You have to take that into concideration.
The counterpick system exists for a reason. Still, despite some characters having disadvantages, it's VERY possible to only play one character and place well. See BigLou with Luigi and Kismet2 with Falco. Only, to be able to do this, they had to overcome hurdles of bad matchups. (Sheik ftilt lock on Falco etc)

With MK you have to overcome... . . . An almost even matchup(but still favorable) with snake and wario.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
The counterpick system exists for a reason. Still, despite some characters having disadvantages, it's VERY possible to only play one character and place well. See BigLou with Luigi and Kismet2 with Falco. Only, to be able to do this, they had to overcome hurdles of bad matchups. (Sheik ftilt lock on Falco etc)

With MK you have to overcome... . . . An almost even matchup(but still favorable) with snake and wario.
"The counterpick system exists for a reason. "

Were you going to state that reason...or?

"it's VERY possible to only play one character and place well"

The goal is winning. The one character you're talking about is MK.

Biglou and kismet2 haven't won a pot worth bragging about.

Now use reading comprehension and go back to my question and answer it. What's the goal?

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
"The counterpick system exists for a reason. "

Were you going to state that reason...or?

"it's VERY possible to only play one character and place well"

The goal is winning. The one character you're talking about is MK.

Biglou and kismet2 haven't won a pot worth bragging about.

Now use reading comprehension and go back to my question and answer it. What's the goal?
The goal, in my opinion, is to create a fun and diverse tournament scene. I don't want to watch mk dittos for the last 10 rounds of every major tournament. And quite frankly, if you remove MK, every character has bad matchups or bad stages or both.

I'm not saying that you have to play more than one character. Obviously you don't if you play MK. Obviously you don't if you're already winning with just one character... and no pots worth noting? Obviously you haven't been paying attention to Kismet's wins. $400 in two tournaments isn't anything to scoff at. And Reflex occasionally wins tournaments with JUST pokemon trainer. (though nowadays I think he uses wario more often, this was the case for the February waba)

The goal is not to force a player to play more than one character -- but rather to reward extensive knowledge and smart counterpicking. Of course knowing more about characters and being able to play more characters is going to give an advantage. Or should, anyway. The closest you can get to CPing MK is "mk ditto on my favorite stage"

Edit: That being said, the goal of the counterpick system is to allow the player with more skill to win. If you're beaten on your counterpick, the other person obviously outplayed you. So if no outplaying occurs -- the winner of the neutral or "the more skilled" player, will win. Against MK you have to win the neutral AND your counterpick (which would be the same) while they only have to win one. (If you've ever seen MKs CPs it takes some serious outplaying)

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
The goal, in my opinion, is to create a fun and diverse tournament scene. I don't want to watch mk dittos for the last 10 rounds of every major tournament. And quite frankly, if you remove MK, every character has bad matchups or bad stages or both.

Want? This isn't about wants. If you want to take care of your wants create a smash club of the people who share your wants. This is about money. That's why money is on the line. If it wasn't about money then there would be tournaments with no entry free and no prize.

I'm not saying that you have to play more than one character. Obviously you don't if you play MK. Obviously you don't if you're already winning with just one character... and no pots worth noting? Obviously you haven't been paying attention to Kismet's wins. $400 in two tournaments isn't anything to scoff at. And Reflex occasionally wins tournaments with JUST pokemon trainer. (though nowadays I think he uses wario more often, this was the case for the February waba)

400 dollars in 2 weeks is nothing. It's good to a kid and that's about it. Also, look at kismets competition. He has a handful of people to be better than. He doesn't have a nation, he doesn't have the world. He has like 5 people to worry about.

The goal is not to force a player to play more than one character -- but rather to reward extensive knowledge and smart counterpicking. Of course knowing more about characters and being able to play more characters is going to give an advantage. Or should, anyway. The closest you can get to CPing MK is "mk ditto on my favorite stage"

So the goal is to create people to have to be skilled with a variety of characters. There's my answer, from you. Now we need more answers from others.

Edit: That being said, the goal of the counterpick system is to allow the player with more skill to win. If you're beaten on your counterpick, the other person obviously outplayed you. So if no outplaying occurs -- the winner of the neutral or "the more skilled" player, will win. Against MK you have to win the neutral AND your counterpick (which would be the same) while they only have to win one. (If you've ever seen MKs CPs it takes some serious outplaying)
The counterpick system forces you to have to play more than one character and be good with them at a high level. Example? Rainbow cruise. My Diddy vs MK on Rainbow cruise. It's an extremely unfair advantage. Luckily I know how to play MK.

BTW my argument is in the quote.

False statement.
We live in Georgia.
$100 to $200 is worth bragging about, as that's about as big as a pot gets here.
:p
100-200 dollars is spending money lol. M2K IMO doesn't make what I personally think he deserves. M2K plays the game like a professional Athlete plays their sport. M2K deserves much more money. Look at halo players. You think
M2K plays any less than them? He probably played melee just as many if not more hours than Any Halo pro

Umby

Smash Master
Please have a good reason for pictochat.
In regards to it's legality:
Pictochat has a consistent/unmoving base for a stage. That's already a plus as compared to something like WarioWare. The main issue then becomes how to regard the stage hazards. In comparison to other stages, they really aren't all that bad. You have have some stage changes that hinder movement, but you also have those on PS1 and Delfino (though to a lesser extent). You have spikes blocking the blastlines occasionally. But that means you're getting thrown/hit into them. If a throw or attack is sending you that way and you're getting killed by spikes, it's likely your not getting killed any earlier than you would have if you had gotten sent out there and been edgeguarded. Exploding rockets. There are two of them. There's no random pirate ship bombarding you with a bunch of them homed into your location. You can also shield them. The Flames? They give you a crash course in learning to DI. The only stage hazard that I'd considered to be a "real" problem when concerning if Pictochat should be legal is the roller coaster. But that's just one of the many stage hazard phases, all of which last for only a short amount of time and a majority of which aren't really life threatening/don't make ******** character specific tactics even more ******** (i.e. MK Tornado on Luigi's Mansion).

In regards to it being a counterpick:

It has a good ceiling height for the characters that need it. Obstructions can somewhat prevent camping, and force approaches where characters like ROB or Marth reveal the weakspots on their underbellies. Sonic has a couple of properties in his Spin Dash that he can abuse on this stage. If FD is banned by the opponent, D3 could possibly use this as an alternate stage to abuse his chain grab, that is until a stage hazard gets in his way. I'm sure this more to it, but that's all I have off the top of my head.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Luckily I know how to play MK.
Why do you even play Diddy?

Whatever your answer to that question is why MK should be banned, frankly. If it's only about the money, the only thing we should EVER see is MK dittos with the occasional snake vs MK on halberd/green greens.

Player-1

Smash Legend
The counterpick system forces you to have to play more than one character and be good with them at a high level. Example? Rainbow cruise. My Diddy vs MK on Rainbow cruise. It's an extremely unfair advantage. Luckily I know how to play MK.

rainbow is like diddy's best stage, especially against MK =)

Rayku

Smash Lord
Personally, I think that some of us weren't born with silver spoons in our mouths, and don't get some of the nice things. $200 is -NOT- spending money. That's food money that needs to be spent wisely.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Man. You know what I can do with $200?
A LOT.
Thats food for a good amount of time yo.
Surely not money you can just blow off on whatever unless you live off of your parents or something(like your High Schoolers :|)

wavemasta170

Smash Rookie
yeah i agree money is an important thing and considering how bad the economy is and peple cant even get jobs, $200 can definitely help u out of a spot ya know?

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I think Rainbow Cruise should be banned.

I'm pretty sure Jamaal agrees with me.

Umby

Smash Master
Why not just use your ban on it

Though it's hard to avoid either way, some people would not like to waste their ban on a stage like Rainbow Cruise when they need to ban another stage in general. I prefer banning Yoshi's Island vs most characters (as Sonic) for example, and were I to actually have concern against MK on Rainbow Cruise, I would hate to have to worry about striking it out instead of a stage I have problems on in general.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Battlefield is as close to neutral as anyone's going to get...

PICTOCHAT FOR NEUTRAL

Top Bottom