• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Melee Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
tbh mike i think for the benefit of the brawl ******s we should alternate between one $1 a month, standard $5, and the $10 for the monthly.
it'd work out the best for everybody, since most of the melee vets wouldn't be hugely interested in the $1 so the brawl kids would get to play each other. Melee players who will go there regardless like me or fmtl or toasty (who are most interested in teaching noobs) will be able to help and give a goal.

PB&J

Smash Hero
it should just be 10 and people need to stop being cheap..if u lose five its like its only 5 but when u lose 10..you will want to get better...

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I'm going to make an extremely dumb post. Why is it dumb? Because I don't attend tournies anymore lol. But I feel my 2 cents might be useful.

I don't think anyone should be complaining about entry fees too too much. An increase is neccessary honestly. Remember when average tournaments in GA were 15$ for melee singles, and not this 5$ stuff? A lot more money was given out as a prize, and there was a lot more incentive to go. A low entry fee also means a low payout, and low payouts arn't worth attending when the drive is somewhat long, and the prize is poor. It just makes sense to not be worth it.

So, I agree an increase in entry fee is a must. I realize that specifically Waba is being focused on, because for some reason they are suddenly becoming the focal point of GA Melee. However, that should not deterr it's participants from wanting a larger payout.

My solution? Give Waba their cut, but increase the rest of the entry fee to go toward the tournament's pot. Also, start taking a cut from the main entry fee and put it toward a larger pot for the monthly tournament. Better still (and I'm sure this got said earlier by someone, I can't remember who), if someone wants to host another "major" tournament at Waba (like something else alongside the TO series) they could come up with a way of collecting a little pot money to go toward a much larger pot.

Big money attracts more people, especially OOS. If you want Iori and -Chad- and etc to show up more often, then increase the stakes.

Side note: I got told about other fighting game tournies with people MM for thousands (three 0s) of $. ****ing insane lol.

SleepyK

gerbil your post is stupid

1) have fun convincing cheap high schoolers to play in a tournament in a game they are only vaguely interested in, especially for more than $1. $15? rofl.
2) yeah $15 was average back when melee was popular and the game was big. Also $15 was normal for large tournaments, not small ones.
3) waba doesn't take any of the pot, there's just a door fee. weeklies aren't about having huge turnouts, they're about improving your local community and attracting new players.
4) smash bros MMs have never gone above 100, and 20 is considered a lot. DireVulcan chewed us out about this a long time ago (us being the smash community) about how we're cheap when it comes to money.

this isn't about being cheap or anything. even back when melee waba monthlies were $10 entry fee, people hardly came to those (outside of a few exceptions) because there wasn't enough hype for oos to be interested and GA's melee community barely fills a top 10.

SleepyK

don't forget about the tacos, chicken sandwiches, and other $1 fast food items

Purple

Hi guys!
Side note: I got told about other fighting game tournies with people MM for thousands (three 0s) of $. ****ing insane lol.

They have money in their pocket from working a job along with their prize money from games. 25-100 is pretty decent to them. I would assume that 1000 dollar+ mm's are sponsored

Plus people are actually willing to give people money to money match it against others. Sponsoring if you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUH-...A87B0EF1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=43
this mm is for 3000 dollars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9FLu3fzC40
this mm is for 6600 dollars

it should just be 10 and people need to stop being cheap..if u lose five its like its only 5 but when u lose 10..you will want to get better...
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium] Not disagreeing or agreeing with the statement, but still, take baby steps for competition.

You have to remember that this is a game that some people aren't extremely interested in. They're not going to pay full price.[/FONT]

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Melee players who will go there regardless like me or fmtl or toasty (who are most interested in teaching noobs) will be able to help and give a goal.
I can't guarantee my attendance but I'm always willing to help out less-than-skilled would-be Melee kids since a lot of really good players were just as gracious to me when I was a COMPLETE scrub. I could tell that they'd rather spend their time playing better people, but they could see that I honestly wanted to get better and not just so I "wouldn't lose"...but they could tell I was really interested and was enjoying Melee more and more as I got better

so yeah.
be nice.
take constructive criticism.
and the MAIN thing to keep in mind when learning Melee [especially technical stuff] is that your goal is NOT to win friendlies. It's to progress. The results of friendlies are good for your personal motivation, but don't let losses get to you.

It's all too common for newer/less skilled players to become greatly discouraged when playing better/good people to the point where they give up altogether or develop an attitude that hinders their ability to improve greatly.

Just pick different and small goals whenever you sit down to play friendlies and each match, work on one or two of those things until you can do them on command. Then it'll just click one day and you'll do it on instinct [like short hopping, wavedashing correctly, not missing L-cancels, teching, etc].

again: winning a friendly is immaterial at your level so don't get hung up on it

That's how I learned relatively quickly, anyway >_>
What the fuck do you mean HAVE to eat like 50 burgers?
"a challenger has appeared"

SleepyK

i still want to see Daniel-Zaman just eat normally, once.

PB&J

Smash Hero
so um sionce were talking about nothing..everyone should go to melee gigs on the 27th..mango +Lucky and shiz will be there..yes i said it..umm..carpool or something...this will be epic and mango is not going jiggs only falco and fox

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
thousand dollar MMs in other games happen not because people have jobs so they have the money, but it's actually quite the opposite. a number of the top players don't have jobs so they live off tourney $$

i remember when a smasher could do that (aurafox...)

Gerbil

Smash Champion
thousand dollar MMs in other games happen not because people have jobs so they have the money, but it's actually quite the opposite. a number of the top players don't have jobs so they live off tourney $$

i remember when a smasher could do that (aurafox...)
**** you just spoke a legends name XD

*listens to the music come from above*

Kinda makes me think of others I havn't seen in years for one reason or another... (Blake)

Rayku

Smash Lord
**** you just spoke a legends name XD

*listens to the music come from above*

Kinda makes me think of others I havn't seen in years for one reason or another... (Blake)
Aurafox was the first person to ever 4-stock me :(

Rayku

Smash Lord
Anyway.

When is the Panel getting together (if one has been formed)? I thought that a meeting was going to Go Down after Smash or Die 7

Gerbil

Smash Champion
This is the GA Panel Rayku... you know that meetings never happen till about 4 weeks after the initiated date LOL.

@Pokemon - I'm getting into it, but how do you guys level up to 100 the quickest with the proper EVs? I've got infernape at 83 but it feels like "**** this is taking forever"

Rayku

Smash Lord
This is the GA Panel Rayku... you know that meetings never happen till about 4 weeks after the initiated date LOL.

@Pokemon - I'm getting into it, but how do you guys level up to 100 the quickest with the proper EVs? I've got infernape at 83 but it feels like "**** this is taking forever"
just level them to 50. There's no reason to go any higher

Handorin

Smash Hero
As long as he gives us some of the money he earns from the rap album he makes afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom