• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
I probably didn't read your earlier post very carefully. That said, yeah, Sakurai can't hide behind that for PP. He wholesale chose that DLC. The rest are on Nintendo. I doubt he could've justified an easy Bonus Character unless they were first party or Nintendo partially owned them(which fit PP and Mewtwo specifically, in that order respectively).

I don't think the idea was simply WTF. It's like he said; not a major character and not a heroic character. That usually applies to Mooks. Geno would've been great, but that requires a lot of extra licensing. Him getting a Spirit this time around is probably the best he could do.

A good point was brought up about relevance. There's no denying that Geno is basically unused, not even slightly in marketing(the only real advantage B&K has. Well, a consistent re-release technically too, but they're in the spotlight/promoted), which gives a slight advantage towards a company willing to license out the character for bigger stuff. The costume in itself is not small by any means like a Spirit is, which is still good, but not good enough, of course.

If SMRPG was coming to the Switch, things might be a bit different. SE in this case would be more than willing to have the character used more often. The fact there was a struggle to get a re-release in general for Download on a console or even the SNES Mini shows how little SE really cares for the particular game. It doesn't help that despite owning the characters, it's not really their world to work with. It's a Nintendo world. This means that it's not much of their own unique stuff that would be getting love. There could be other licensing stuff like how different people own different songs and designs too, that make it more difficult to work with. It'll never probably be revealed why they don't attempt to do much with it, though the fact it's a Mario character means Nintendo always has to be a part of it. This might be the simple reason why; it's a pain to get both together unless there's a severe amount of fan requests, and they're super damn sure(both companies, not just one) it'll easily sell. Mario in itself sells, sure, but Turn-Based RPG's are not as popular as they used to be. Coupled with Paper Mario not doing so hot, and it might not be the best time to strike. There's also things like not being sure how to continue the series(SMRPG2 pretty much fell wayside and became Paper Mario. So what can you do with the ideas now?). I'm sure they can make a grand sequel that'll do well, but are they sure they can pull it off? Us having faith in them isn't going to help if they aren't sure on it.

For a caveat, you've seen many series die like F-Zero. The reason it's not revived is they can't think of something that'll make it fun and accessible, and something that Mario Kart couldn't also do. The extreme speed makes it very difficult to win, even for very good players, so the game can be difficult for some to get into. It's not a beginner friendly game. That makes it harder to revive as is. They can't rely on just a vocal minority saying it should come back. They have to be sure it's worth spending money on to get it revived. You can apply that to a lot of franchises, really. It's simple and a generic way to say it, but it's always about business. Incidentally, SMRPG2 would do better than F-Zero sales-wise by virtue of being Mario.
I'm just gonna say that giving square ownership of any of the original assets from smrpg that aren't FF related was a massive ****ing mistake. Nintendo was smart enough to still keep ownership of characters like dark samus amd king k rool despite them not being nintendos creations. So why the hell they decided to let geno and mallow belong to square I'll never know. And it sucks because smrpg did alot for jrpgs in the west and was iirc the first big jrpg to sell equally as well overseas as it did in Japan. So it seems kind of disrespectful for square to basically treat the game like some unwanted child compared to all of their other ips. Who knows if something like even ff7 would have become as massive as it was if it wasn't for the influence of smrpg

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I'm just gonna say that giving square ownership of any of the original assets from smrpg that aren't FF related was a massive ****ing mistake. Nintendo was smart enough to still keep ownership of characters like dark samus amd king k rool despite them not being nintendos creations. So why the hell they decided to let geno and mallow belong to square I'll never know. And it sucks because smrpg did alot for jrpgs in the west and was iirc the first big jrpg to sell equally as well overseas as it did in Japan. So it seems kind of disrespectful for square to basically treat the game like some unwanted child compared to all of their other ips. Who knows if something like even ff7 would have become as massive as it was if it wasn't for the influence of smrpg
Lol, imagine thinking SMRPG was the first big jrpg in the west. I don't even know where you're getting your numbers, since most of it's sales came from Japan. Thinking FF7 wouldn't be as massive without SMRPG is nothing but ignorance.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Lol, imagine thinking SMRPG was the first big jrpg in the west. I don't even know where you're getting your numbers, since most of it's sales came from Japan. Thinking FF7 wouldn't be as massive without SMRPG is nothing but ignorance.
Well excuse me. I'm not sure what was the first big jrpg in the west but from everything I've heard jrpgs did way worse in America then in Japan. And BTW I didn't say that it sold better in America than in Japan. I said that it was equal between the two and that smrpg was the first to be a big success in both countries and not super one sided in Japan. It sold 200,000 copies in its first month. Also wasn't the literal point of smrpg for it to literally be the best starting point to get people more into jrpgs. That slapping mario in a jrpg would open more people up to the genre.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Well excuse me. I'm not sure what was the first big jrpg in the west but from everything I've heard jrpgs did way worse in America then in Japan. And BTW I didn't say that it sold better in America than in Japan. I said that it was equal between the two and that smrpg was the first to be a big success in both countries and not super one sided in Japan. Also wasn't the literal point of smrpg for it to literally be the best starting point to get people more into jrpgs. That slapping mario in a jrpg would open more people up to the genre.
The first big jrpg in the west was FF7, period. And no, SMRPG played no role whatsoever in that success. In the end, Mario RPG still found a onesided success between the west and Japan, even with the mario brand. So no, it's not an influential game. Honestly, you need to be more grateful, Geno is just a sidekick from an spin off released 25 years ago, a mii costume is already too good for him.

Last edited:

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Warned for flaming
The first big jrpg in the west was FF7, period. And no, SMRPG played no role whatsoever in that success. In the end, Mario RPG still found a onesided success between the west and Japan, even with the mario brand. So no, it's not an influential game. Honestly, you need to be more grateful, Geno is just a sidekick from an spin off released 25 years ago, a mii costume is already too good for him.
Oh never mind I thought you were a logical decent person. Turns out your just a ****ing asshole who came into the geno thread to talk **** and make his fans feel even worse about themselves. Why don't you crawl back to twitter or reddit with the rest of your pals and spread your "geno bad" garbage there where it's actually wanted.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Actually.... SMRPG does sort of play a role. It was created for the sake of getting the US into JRPGs. Is FF7 the bigger game? Of course it is, but SMRPG is more important then what people know

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, SMRPG is the only reason we have two other Mario RPGs in general. It influenced both quite a bit. The action commands come from there, and they went different directions. Mario & Luigi plays very similar to SMRPG in many ways, including a similar mapstyle(but more 2D), but also uses the same concept of "almost identical enemies, just swap their sprites out!". Paper Mario took the 3D factor more directly, while increasing the uniqueness of the Action Commands moreso at first, but also stuck with the concept a very limited inventory, They both have always had some form of leveling up/experience, respectively. However, it's worth noting that only M&L used the same experience type(everything goes up, you can get extra bonus for one stat). Both still use Flower Points, but Paper Mario focuses more on "just three core stats" too, much like SMRPG.

You won't get the awesome game you love in either of those if you're just a SMRPG fan, but there's no doubt it had a huge impact on how the games work. Also, Paper Mario had the normal party system similar to SMRPG, while M&L took a completely different turn. PM did start to go at it differently after TTYD, but there's always some kind of "partner" with Mario. Even if it's just an exposition fairy. It wasn't really till TOK that they gave an all-new set of partners that don't work like any previous game(being NPC-controlled). Not a good thing, imo, but it's unique nonetheless.

I'd love a true sequel. They have tons they can do. There's a crapload of Mario lore to work off of. You have a giant cast to work with, not requiring a ton of made-up enemies either. ...Or mostly renames. Finding a reason for Mallow and Geno to return would be interesting as well. Geno's easy; threaten the Star Road again. Mallow was there for his family. So... maybe kidnap his family/do something to his town? Peach and Bowser aren't hard to get on Mario's side anyway. You could also add in Luigi alone, but who knows.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Trolling
Actually.... SMRPG does sort of play a role. It was created for the sake of getting the US into JRPGs. Is FF7 the bigger game? Of course it is, but SMRPG is more important then what people know
Wrong, it doesn't matter the reasons it was created for, what matters is what it achieved. And it certainly didn't turn JRPG's into a major genre in the west, nor did it played any role in the success of Final Fantasy VII in the west.
Oh never mind I thought you were a logical decent person. Turns out your just a *ing asshole who came into the geno thread to talk * and make his fans feel even worse about themselves. Why don't you crawl back to twitter or reddit with the rest of your pals and spread your "geno bad" garbage there where it's actually wanted.
I'm a logical person though, that's why I know better than to think Geno would be a good choice. Face it, Geno isn't as popular as you think, and SE/Nintendo turning him into a costume isn't disrespectful in the slightest.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you click on that guy's name, you should see three options of follow, ignore, and start a conversation.

I heavily implore anyone who hasn't to choose ignore, like I did.
Or report it. I've found that more useful.

Sad thing is there are some legit points here. But for the most part, it's more littered with "talking down to you/the fans" and making them feel bad. So... it's obviously not in good faith.

Like, they are right that Geno isn't that freaking popular. The game is still not as known as it could be. There's the argument of FFVII doing fine on its own, but to be frank, FF1 on its own was massive in the West too. Dragon Warrior 1 was nowhere near as big, and still had a strong impact overall in the West. So FFVII being the first big JRPG? Nope. That'd be DW1 or FF1 at the very least. Depending if you think DW1's influence is less important than its overall sales. Cause it influenced tons of JRPGs to come, Western made or not. Even SMRPG takes from both games overall. The item management is blatantly based upon DW1's design. One item per slot. The equipment has the same rule too(and it doesn't free up a slot when used, a key thing). Meanwhile you can tell the aesthetics and battle system are closer to FF, including a bonus boss. The way the magic works in SMRPG is far more DW-inspired, as the whole point was having similar but upgraded spells with similar names. FF later on adopted a better idea than Fire 1, Fire 2, etc. But that took some time. Dragon Warrior, albeit, had a lot of odd names from the Japanese version, like Fire and Firebane is really supposed to be Hurt and Hurtmore. Very different concepts of what the spell is "like". But the overall idea of slightly changing/updating names for stronger spells? Very much a DW thing. Or DQ if you want to use that acronym.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I think Super Mario RPG was definitely provided a huge boost in terms of jrpgs getting popular in the west. It's hard to say if it influenced the success of other jrpgs like FF6 or 7, but a lot of people including myself do credit this game to getting them interested in the genre as a whole. Like you don't really hear Earthbound discussed as much as Super Mario RPG when it comes to games that introduced one to the genre.

On top of that, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are huge on their own and they wouldn't be where they are without Super Mario RPG's success. I don't necessarily care for the later entries of either franchise but I do admire seeing fans of 64/TTYD or Mario & Luigi games.

In terms of Geno and Mallow's licensing. I'm not sure when the decision was made for Square to own those characters. We're they planning on making more games with them before the cartridge/disc break up? It's unfortunate we won't know the full story, but part of me still wishes that they were at least more open to celebrating this amazing collaboration they once had.

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
I don’t get why people think Geno isn’t popular. Sure, he may not be AS popular as other characters, but he’s still a huge figure in the gaming community, especially Smash.

Characters that aren’t popular don’t get years upon years of talk and conjecture.

Characters that aren’t popular don’t get baseless haters, trolls, and pushback/backlash. (Talking about him and saying, “he isn’t popular, lol” actually has the opposite effect than you think. If you are talking about him, even to flame, it’s because you know who he is. Guess why you know who he is? Thanks for speaking about him more too!)

Characters that aren’t popular don’t get forum posts about forum and more forum posts made about them, good or bad, if they aren’t popular.

Wether people like it or not, he is a popular character. Talking about how much you hate him only increases his popularity. You wouldn’t talk about him, if you didn’t care, it’s simple.

———

On a side note, SMRPG was my big rpg. I was six years old when I played and beat that game. It didn’t even know Final Fantasy existed until a good 8 years later. Coincidentally, I was in Japan when I learned about Final Fantasy!

We didn’t have the internet to tell us about every game back then. (At least, not as easily available). We couldn’t just download games and look up other fandoms.

I would say most games from the east didn’t really become popular in the west until the internet started to become more easily accessible. Most games in the west were made for, well, the west. (Based off my own experience, not any actual research)

I can also say that people under 30 don’t really know what it was like back during that time. Of course, there’s always the difference between reading about something and living something.

That being said, SMRPG was my gateway into JRPG, as it was for many of my friends growing up.

Hmmm… I know that was a bit of a post so, if you read all of it, you get a cookie!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think Super Mario RPG was definitely provided a huge boost in terms of jrpgs getting popular in the west. It's hard to say if it influenced the success of other jrpgs like FF6 or 7, but a lot of people including myself do credit this game to getting them interested in the genre as a whole. Like you don't really hear Earthbound discussed as much as Super Mario RPG when it comes to games that introduced one to the genre.

On top of that, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are huge on their own and they wouldn't be where they are without Super Mario RPG's success. I don't necessarily care for the later entries of either franchise but I do admire seeing fans of 64/TTYD or Mario & Luigi games.

In terms of Geno and Mallow's licensing. I'm not sure when the decision was made for Square to own those characters. We're they planning on making more games with them before the cartridge/disc break up? It's unfortunate we won't know the full story, but part of me still wishes that they were at least more open to celebrating this amazing collaboration they once had.
For the last part, SE does own a lot of stuff they directly made on their own, or partial rights. So anything unique from the game being owned by them is a consistency thing at this point. But that's also cause SE likes properly paying their employees for their work. We have no way of knowing if Geno and Mallow are a joint ownership at this time. I imagine the various re-imaginings of enemies aren't fully owned by SE. Geno and Mallow are different in that they're 100% SE, just in a Mario game. They didn't take a model/design and slightly update it(like Chained Kong) either. It's like the difference between what's called Original Generation(see: Master Hand) and Original Character(see: Giga Bowser). One is clearly a very unique character, while the other is taking an old one and modifying it for use. Of course, licensing doesn't work any differently for each normally, but it can depending the context. Cause, well, SE.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
So no, it's not an influential game.
See, that’s where it depends on how you define “influential.”

Did it ascend to the levels of FF VII? No.

Was it a major player in the JRPG scene when it first hit the shelves? Not that I can tell.

By several metrics, SMRPG is a rather obscure little game. Sure, it was groundbreaking for the Mario franchise, bringing a whole lot of “firsts” for the series. And sure, it was the forerunner to both Paper Mario and M&L, but I don’t think anyone argues that it pulled the weight of a game like FF VII, in terms of sales and impact to the genre.

H o w e v e r, That’s one of the biggest reasons you’re wrong about SMRPG. Think about it…For a game that obscure (relatively speaking), it’s had a crazy level of staying power in the community. Even today, people all over the place absolutely love the game, and it’s enjoyed a very robust community of fans. All of this, despite Nintendo and Square barely acknowledging it even exists.

One of the big misconceptions about the Geno fanbase is that we only care about getting him in Smash, as if that’s somehow separate and distinct from the game SMRPG itself. But that’s missing the whole point. In fact, I’m guessing that most of us here would rather see a SMRPG reboot/revival, than Geno being playable in Smash. Him getting playable in Smash is one of the most accessible vehicles for him (and SMRPG in general) to get back on the map.

So how does a game as “obscure” as SMRPG enjoy such a vibrant and growing fanbase more than two decades later? Probably not because it was influential…But because it was (and is) significant.

And personally, I care more about a game’s significance than its influence.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Repeated/continued trolling
What you think is irrelevant, what matters is what actually happened, and fact is, Mario RPG still failed to make the genre mainstream in the west.
Also, How could Mario RPG have influenced the success of FF6 when you know, FF6 was released 2 years before Mario RPG.

I don’t get why people think Geno isn’t popular. Sure, he may not be AS popular as other characters, but he’s still a huge figure in the gaming community, especially Smash.

Characters that aren’t popular don’t get years upon years of talk and conjecture.

Characters that aren’t popular don’t get baseless haters, trolls, and pushback/backlash. (Talking about him and saying, “he isn’t popular, lol” actually has the opposite effect than you think. If you are talking about him, even to flame, it’s because you know who he is. Guess why you know who he is? Thanks for speaking about him more too!)

Characters that aren’t popular don’t get forum posts about forum and more forum posts made about them, good or bad, if they aren’t popular.

Wether people like it or not, he is a popular character. Talking about how much you hate him only increases his popularity. You wouldn’t talk about him, if you didn’t care, it’s simple.
Imagine thinking Geno is a huge figure in the gaming community, at this point, he is better known as a joke request in the smash community rather than an actual character.
He is 'so popular' that he is only ever discussed in Smash speculation, the Mario fanbase doesn't care about him, the Square Enix fanbase doesn't care about him, even most of the smash community doesn't care about him. Which is why despite his fanbase having two golden opportunities last game of proving his popularity, he was still ignored three times in a row, with little backslash whatsoever towards Nintendo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Rule of thumb; you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If you can only present your point by talking down to others, you're doing it wrong. It doesn't help anyone nor makes them want to reply back in a polite fashion. Always be polite and courteous. It always works better.

Now to touch on something; yeah, it's common we look at fanbases and think our character is very very popular among multiple ones. Geno is a bit less than we think, but he's pretty clearly legit popular. Or at least enough for Sakurai.

It sucks he's not in, but just cause he missed the boat a lot doesn't... mean anything in particular. There's multiple explanations.

Last edited:

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
I do think Geno fans do need to show a little more humility regarding the character. Yes he has his fanbase, but he is ALSO a character from an RPG released 25 years ago. It comes across as incredibly entitled and hypocritical to demand Geno to be added to Smash, and then attack the other characters that do get selected.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do think Geno fans do need to show a little more humility regarding the character. Yes he has his fanbase, but he is ALSO a character from an RPG released 25 years ago. It comes across as incredibly entitled and hypocritical to demand Geno to be added to Smash, and then attack the other characters that do get selected.
To be fair, how many are actually demanding? A tiny few? Most just want him in because they like the character. Key term being "want".

...That said, see my above message. This doesn't help. Though I agree we need to be less trying to attack other fanbases/characters specifically(the hatred only begets more hatred) and figuring out cool ways to incorporate Geno into Smash first and foremost. There's already neat fanmods, which helps imagine him in practice. :)

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
I definitely don’t see what you are talking about. Requesting and demanding are two different things. I haven’t seen “demands” for Geno to be in Smash. I think Geno supporters have a black cloud over their head created by people who flame, troll, misinform, and create hyperbole. People just look at the cloud from the outside, but don’t actually look at who that cloud is raining on. They don’t bring an umbrella and get to know us. The just let the negative opinion rain on us and use that as fact.

What I do see as hypocritical is how people say we complain and cry when the majority of us show displeasure at most. Then come in and laugh, throw rocks, and troll us when he isn’t revealed. They shoot guns then toss them at us and say, “look at how they’re acting.” Yet, when other characters are chooses, we congratulate them and say, “hopefully we have better luck next time.”

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I definitely don’t see what you are talking about. Requesting and demanding are two different things. I haven’t seen “demands” for Geno to be in Smash. I think Geno supporters have a black cloud over their head created by people who flame, troll, misinform, and create hyperbole. People just look at the cloud from the outside, but don’t actually look at who that cloud is raining on. They don’t bring an umbrella and get to know us. The just let the negative opinion rain on us and use that as fact.

What I do see as hypocritical is how people say we complain and cry when the majority of us show displeasure at most. Then come in and laugh, throw rocks, and troll us when he isn’t revealed. They shoot guns then toss them at us and say, “look at how they’re acting.” Yet, when other characters are chooses, we congratulate them and say, “hopefully we have better luck next time.”
My two biggest issues were really the hyperboles and the revisioning. This isn't so much to make a generalization, but during the time of Banjo & Steve's peak disagreement, many Steve fans went from making hyperboles and really awful rhetoric against anyone who dared mention they supported Banjo, to playing victim when Banjo got confirmed for the game and crying about the trolling they received, only to double down on hyperboles and double standards against anyone who wanted Geno, Lloyd or another long standing Smash Bros request.

Or when someone who wanted K.Rool for years and has went thru a similar situation just will try to revise history and pretend Geno never truly mattered to anyone who has been around for Smash Bros.

I usually look down on the double standards like that and it has definitely soured my experience in both terms of being a fan of the series as well as just speculation as a whole. I think worst of all, it made myself my own worst enemy and my cynicism of the whole situation has ruined my reputation with a lot of other users both here and other places.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I find the idea that wanting Geno in smash to be a sign of entitlement to be a particularly nauseating form of personal attack.

You can justify picking on anyone over anything with that kind of a blithe, blatant dismissal of other people's feelings. People are allowed to support who they want and to be upset at who they want. You can't just tell other people what the correct way to feel is.

How about no one pick on anyone over their personal Smash preferences?

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Also, I get that every fanbase has some bad apples, but the Geno fanbase as a whole is probably the least entitled bunch out there. Between recognizing that SMRPG hasn’t made a meaningful return to the spotlight outside of Smash, and the constant attacks from detractors who call us delusional cultists…There’s not a lot of room for us to be entitled.

How about no one pick on anyone over their personal Smash preferences?
I second this.

Firox

Smash Master

———

On a side note, SMRPG was my big rpg. I was six years old when I played and beat that game. It didn’t even know Final Fantasy existed until a good 8 years later. Coincidentally, I was in Japan when I learned about Final Fantasy!

We didn’t have the internet to tell us about every game back then. (At least, not as easily available). We couldn’t just download games and look up other fandoms.

I would say most games from the east didn’t really become popular in the west until the internet started to become more easily accessible. Most games in the west were made for, well, the west. (Based off my own experience, not any actual research)

I can also say that people under 30 don’t really know what it was like back during that time. Of course, there’s always the difference between reading about something and living something.

That being said, SMRPG was my gateway into JRPG, as it was for many of my friends growing up.

Hmmm… I know that was a bit of a post so, if you read all of it, you get a cookie!
Another key thing to consider:

People always try to compare Geno/SMRPG's popularity to the likes of Cloud, Sephiroth and FFVII, but note that FFVII has had WAY more exposure over the years (appearances/references in Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia and FFVII remake, not to mention Smash itself). Meanwhile, Geno appeared ONCE in a game that's over 20 years old, yet people STILL remember and revere him. Regardless of SMRPG's fiscal success or lack thereof, the fact that a secondary protagonist like him could leave an impression that's transcended decades is no trivial matter. I've seen droves of more forgettable video game characters come and go over the years, yet this magical puppet boy from the stars is STILL talked about by Sakurai and Smash fans alike. I'd call that a non-trivial impact.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Worth noting among the two threads, yes, a few people went pretty crazy over the disconfirmation stuff/etc.

"A few" being the thing. This isn't common among the fanbase. That applies to all fanbases. Every fanbase has toxic people. That's just going to happen. But they don't reflect on the whole either, so.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Piranha Plant was a perfectly fine addition, Sakurai loves to add oddball out of left field fighters (Such as R.O.B., G&W, and Wii Fit Trainer). Im also pretty sure Plant was intended for the base roster but made the early purchase bonus. Besides Plant represents the most iconic set of enemies in gaming.

As for SMRPGs importance, its one of those games i feel we can not really gauge. I doubt gaming at large would be that different without it, since FF and DQ still would exist, but It definately made the Paper Mario games possible, so anything influenced by them is indirectly influenced by it.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i thought of a stage that would be perfect for Geno i think shape shifting between 3 stages would be a great idea and each one will have a stage hazard
here is my example
first you start in the forest maze

the stage hazard in the background will be Bowyer and he will shoot Aero upward and then fall on any fighter on stage and it will cause them to stop their movement for few seconds if it hits them.
after a minute passes the stage would shift to Bowser's keep

the stage hazard in the background will be Exor and he will use corona which will be a horizontal attack in the middle of the stage but in the air.
after a minute passes the stage would shift to the Factory

the stage hazard in the background will be Smithy and he will use sledge which will be vertical attack that would target fighter which comes down from sky and it spikes downward if the fighters gets hit in the air or make them stuck on the floor if the fighters got hits on the floor.

after a minute passes it goes back to the forest maze repeating the whole process
you can also turn off stage hazard if you want
i thought this was the best idea for SMRPG stage mainly because it focus on memorable areas while also introducing the Smithy gangs which are the main enemy in SMRPG

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Rule of thumb; you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If you can only present your point by talking down to others, you're doing it wrong. It doesn't help anyone nor makes them want to reply back in a polite fashion. Always be polite and courteous. It always works better.

Now to touch on something; yeah, it's common we look at fanbases and think our character is very very popular among multiple ones. Geno is a bit less than we think, but he's pretty clearly legit popular. Or at least enough for Sakurai.

It sucks he's not in, but just cause he missed the boat a lot doesn't... mean anything in particular. There's multiple explanations.
I'll tell you what though, that Ignore button was a good piece of advise. When some people can't be reasoned with or blatantly demonstrate that they only exist to troll, it's best to simply not entertain them. At the end of the day, they don't really care whether a character is popular or deserving to be in Smash. They're simply sad under-actualized people that can't help but cling to an irrational hatred of a fictional character. It's tragic really. Imagine being a creature so miserable that your only joy in life is sharing your misery with the world rather than finding a common fulfillment with others.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Imagine being a creature so miserable that your only joy in life is sharing your misery with the world rather than finding a common fulfillment with others.
I almost feel bad for the hundreds of GameFaqs users that won't know what to do with themselves when Smash Speculation is over and they have no fandoms left to harass.

I got some of my first tournament level matches with Geno yesterday. It didn't go super well but some of the wins were definitely worth it.
geno.jpg

I'm considering funding Geno costume on every tournament set up for my area just to give a tiny boost in sales numbers. Won't do much but seems appropriate to bless every set up with a playable Geno

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Super Mario RPG could not have influenced FF6. It came out two years after. Gotta remember, Super Mario RPG was a really late release on the SNES. To put things into perspective, Super Mario 64 was released a couple months after Super Mario RPG.

Super Mario RPG did a very nice job of introducing people to the genre, but earlier SNES classics like FF6 and Chrono Trigger already started to make JRPGS more mainstream. FF7 solidified the genre's success.

If anything, I think they helped Mario RPG, which isn't a bad thing, mind you. Games helping other games is a good thing.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: I managed to show an authentic EBay bid to mom, and she gladly paid for it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'll tell you what though, that Ignore button was a good piece of advise. When some people can't be reasoned with or blatantly demonstrate that they only exist to troll, it's best to simply not entertain them. At the end of the day, they don't really care whether a character is popular or deserving to be in Smash. They're simply sad under-actualized people that can't help but cling to an irrational hatred of a fictional character. It's tragic really. Imagine being a creature so miserable that your only joy in life is sharing your misery with the world rather than finding a common fulfillment with others.
My message was to the people trolling, specifically; instead of saying jerk things, just prove your point with facts and always be respectful.

That, and yeah, don't engage a troll. Ignore and report. Usually engaging tends to lead to bigger issues, including flame wars. So best to not let them get that kind of response~

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure I saw a post someone made about leaks in the new Guilty Gear game and that they were adding Geno to it. I'm trying to find it now, but I'm having trouble, but I KNOW I saw it. I think maybe this could mean good news for Geno to come to Smash because it means Square is willing to license Geno out to other companies, like Nintendo possibly.

Top Bottom