• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Alright then, the "post-announcement clarity" is coming in now, let's talk.
  • 3 Minutes?
Certainly longer than average, and just looking at both Ultimate and Smash 4's trailers only a few reach over the 2:30 mark. Let's go through them.
  • Rosalina : 2:42, the CG portion of the video is actually longer than the gameplay portion though. It was kind of a fakeout since it was Kirby in Mario Kart and that's what the previous part of the direct was about if I remember correctly.
  • Palutena : 3:01, half the trailer is the animation but it did also technically reveal 2 characters with Dark Pit at the end
  • Robin : 2:52, Multi-reveal of both Lucina and Robin
  • Cloud: 3:02, It's Cloud. They also showed literally everything about him, from the costume to the summons to the limits, they knew what they had.
  • Corrin : 2:31, Barely scraping over. Not much to say about it?
  • Bayonettta : 2:34, Barely as well, though you can argue Bayo had more a lot unique mechanics to show
  • Simon : 3:04, Double Reveal along with Richter.
  • Hero : 3:01, Had all the Heroes alongside them
  • Terry: 2:33, Awesome Long Intro, explains itself.
  • Byleth : 3:55, Jesus this is long. About half the trailer is the cutscenes though.
So what does it mean if the trailer is 3 MINUTES? Either a pretty long intro scene, a multi-reveal/character with notable costumes, or, as I notced, this list includes every trailer with characters voicing over them I think, so that's seemingly a factor in slightly lengthening them. Just some combination of these 3 things.

• FIGHTER reveal.
That thing says singular and we've never had non-Echoes/non-veterans get revealed in the same trailer as someone else. Sakurai likes giving each new character their own chance to shine. I'm thinking no double reveal.

• Brief message from Sakurai
First off, no Sakurai Presents, huh? Are they just not doing one? Why not? We know 7 is releasing SOON so whats the deal? Is it just going to be next week? BUT WHY NOT JUST DO IT NOW? It's really weird and even weirder they wouldn't just drop the trailer, Sakurai is doing a brief message. For what? To apologize for the wait, uhh ok? We get it, it's cool. Maybe to announce an upcoming presentation? Then why not just do that now? I am confused.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
  • 3 Minutes?
Certainly longer than average, and just looking at both Ultimate and Smash 4's trailers only a few reach over the 2:30 mark. Let's go through them.
  • Rosalina : 2:42, the CG portion of the video is actually longer than the gameplay portion though. It was kind of a fakeout since it was Kirby in Mario Kart and that's what the previous part of the direct was about if I remember correctly.
  • Palutena : 3:01, half the trailer is the animation but it did also technically reveal 2 characters with Dark Pit at the end
  • Cloud: 3:02, It's Cloud. They also showed literally everything about him, from the costume to the summons to the limits, they knew what they had.
  • Bayonettta : 2:34, Barely as well, though you can argue Bayo had more a lot unique mechanics to show
  • Byleth : 3:55, Jesus this is long. About half the trailer is the cutscenes though.
So what does it mean if the trailer is 3 MINUTES? Either a pretty long intro scene, a multi-reveal/character with notable costumes, or, as I notced, this list includes every trailer with characters voicing over them I think, so that's seemingly a factor in slightly lengthening them. Just some combination of these 3 things.

• FIGHTER reveal.
That thing says singular and we've never had non-Echoes/non-veterans get revealed in the same trailer as someone else. Sakurai likes giving each new character their own chance to shine. I'm thinking no double reveal.

First off, no Sakurai Presents, huh? Are they just not doing one? Why not? We know 7 is releasing SOON so whats the deal? Is it just going to be next week? BUT WHY NOT JUST DO IT NOW? It's really weird and even weirder they wouldn't just drop the trailer, Sakurai is doing a brief message. For what? To apologize for the wait, uhh ok? We get it, it's cool. Maybe to announce an upcoming presentation? Then why not just do that now? I am confused.
The Monster Hunter Direct immediately followed that Partner's Direct. That'd be crazy if the announcement was that a Smash Direct would follow, or even if it'd be coming soon. But you're right, it'd be weird to not just say that today, so the announcement is weird. It's probably just a "Sit tight a little bit longer, release and Presents coming soon", or something.

MattX20

Smash Hero
  • 3 Minutes?

• FIGHTER reveal.

My guess is that it's going to be a dynamic scene followed by the gameplay, stage, stage cameos (they've been in every DLC stage with the fighters in some capacity, so I think that trend will continue, and the closure of the scene.

D

Deleted member

Wait... why are we talking about the time in a reveal? I don’t think there is any point talking about it is there. We’re not sure how brief Sakurai’s message is. We’re not sure how long the trailer is maybe slightly or over than 3 minutes? We’re all just gonna have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
the year is 2020 and, like many times dating back to adolesence, i find myself in the geno support thread. i'm anchored and bunkered down with my brothers and sisters in smash ready to face the moment of truth once again. for the time has come that we steel ourselves to unleash victory cries in unimaginable glory or to experience the profound disappointment that being loyal to your bones brings when it's not rewarded

yet i know that even if it's the latter, i will line right back up into formation alongside the geno army to wait patiently once again until the war is won

the circle of life continues. may tomorrow be our day

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Well everyone, here we are. The end of the long road.

After three months of "next week for sure" and dead lead after dead lead, we've made it: The reveal of Challenger 7.

This next reveal is important for a number of reasons. For one, we're coming off the dud that was Byleth and the much better but not as hype Min Min. The Fighter's Pass so far doesn't have what you'd call a "Pass Seller" character. Joker was a pass seller and a huge statement for what they were going for. It's two years later and we still talk about the Joker reveal, that's how monumental it was. After two first party characters with one bad reaction and one 'okay' reaction, we're all looking for something big.

Another thing is the overall atmosphere in the Smash community. Let's face it, we're more divided than ever: Top players have been outed and exiled for some truly despicable things, no in-person events has bred more and more negativity about the online infrastructure, the long LONG wait has started in-fighting everywhere, and the reactions to Byleth and Min Min haven't done much favors to paint the Smash community in a good light to outsiders looking in. A good reveal would really get people buzzing and positive again.

The fate of Smash Hype and the fate of the Fighter's Pass sales may actually hinge on this one reveal... Like say... a very long awaited fan request.

Tomorrow may or may not bring Geno home, but no matter what happens it's been a privilege to be on this ride. I joined the Genobros because I felt a kinship with you guys, having been ridiculed and belittled for a year and a half over wanting Banjo in Smash. I got my wish, and you've waited long enough to have yours too.

Let us all wish on a star tonight.

1601490083795.png

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
  • 3 Minutes?

• FIGHTER reveal.

I might add that isabelle was about 2 mins but extended to 3 with the animal crossing reveal with tom nook.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I don't know, I get a weird feeling about all this. Not necessarily bad, but there's certainly something in the air. Might as well get it on paper now that going into this that I think 7 is either Geno, another first party potentially, or maaaaybe Dante but I lean towards him way more on 8 and later. Leaning towards Geno obviously but like I said, something feels a little off.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I genuinely think the bit with Sakurai at the end is just to tell us when to expect the deeper presentation for the character, maybe even a release date.

There really hasn't been a consistency for how characters are revealed, lmao. Joker is revealed day 1 with no gameplay, Hero and Banjo get proper full trailer reveals and introduce the Sakurai Presents format, and both characters are released the same day as their presentations, Terry is announced but his trailer isn't "complete" until the day he releases, EVERYTHING about Byleth was kept a secret until the full presents but still needed a week in the oven for marketing, Min Min gets half-revealed with the whole guessing game we had to do for ARMS and also needed time before her proper release after the Sakurai Presents, and now we're just getting a reveal with a brief message after that MIGHT lead into the proper date.

Keeps things interesting at least, haha.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I genuinely think the bit with Sakurai at the end is just to tell us when to expect the deeper presentation for the character, maybe even a release date.
I agree. He already apologized on twitter so it's not gonna be a repeat of that, and we obviously are gonna learn when the character is gonna be coming out / full presentation time (if there's any)

pinshadow

Smash Lord

There really hasn't been a consistency for how characters are revealed, lmao. Joker is revealed day 1 with no gameplay, Hero and Banjo get proper full trailer reveals and introduce the Sakurai Presents format, and both characters are released the same day as their presentations, Terry is announced but his trailer isn't "complete" until the day he releases, EVERYTHING about Byleth was kept a secret until the full presents but still needed a week in the oven for marketing, Min Min gets half-revealed with the whole guessing game we had to do for ARMS and also needed time before her proper release after the Sakurai Presents, and now we're just getting a reveal with a brief message after that MIGHT lead into the proper date.

Keeps things interesting at least, haha.
Here's the thing though, based on the skipped general posts we know 7's Update Posts were put in the system already, the update is clearly ready to go, so they are getting released SOON, as in next two weeks. And if that is the case, why wouldn't they just wait until then to do the reveal? Unless they aren't doing a Sakurai Presents, which just...why?

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Here's the thing though, based on the skipped general posts we know 7's Update Posts were put in the system already, the update is clearly ready to go, so they are getting released SOON, as in next two weeks. And if that is the case, why wouldn't they just wait until then to do the reveal? Unless they aren't doing a Sakurai Presents, which just...why?
I think the Sakurai presents is tied to a General Direct (or a Smash Direct) and that's why they're not doing it the traditional way, just doing a reveal like the old Smash 4 days.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I think the Sakurai presents is tied to a General Direct (or a Smash Direct) and that's why they're not doing it the traditional way, just doing a reveal like the old Smash 4 days.
But that's my thing, if 7 is getting released soon (which literally everything points to) then the Sakurai Presents would have to be in the next couple weeks right? And if that is the case, why not just wait until then to do the full reveal? Why drop the trailer by itself?

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
But that's my thing, if 7 is getting released soon (which literally everything points to) then the Sakurai Presents would have to be in the next couple weeks right? And if that is the case, why not just wait until then to do the full reveal? Why drop the trailer by itself?
My current guess is that the character is third party and they wouldn't allow a reveal to be in a Sakurai Presents, so they're doing this format instead.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I think they may be wanting to reveal 8 / shadowdrop 7's release in a General is my guess. As for why not both, I think that's because both 7 and 8 cause a bigger impact with some distance between them rather than together in the same presentation. As for who 7 and 8 are, I'm predicting Geno and Chief.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Woah, it has been awhile. I took a long break from Smash speculation and decided to pop back in today since the DLC drought has ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom