• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but, Ganondorf feels more like an exception rather than a possibility. Even entertaining the echo idea is weird

Different topic: So, will Geno maybe get his own Icon? We still don't know what the second Mario icon means.
I would give Geno the Starman icon to match the Mushroom icon, yet still show that he is different from the others. Think that would be cool for him to have.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would give Geno the Starman icon to match the Mushroom icon, yet still show that he is different from the others. Think that would be cool for him to have.
If he were to get his icon(It would happen if the two properties needed to be seperated due to Square still owning the character), I would see Exor being the icon. The icon needs to be something unique to SMRPG and SMRPG alone.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
If he were to get his icon(It would happen if the two properties needed to be seperated due to Square still owning the character), I would see Exor being the icon. The icon needs to be something unique to SMRPG and SMRPG alone.
Makes sense. But, I like the Starman. Could use that icon for the "spin-off" music from the Mario series as well. Just shows that Geno is different from Mario, yet still related.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
If someone were to “die” in Geno’s reveal trailer, who would you think it would be? They haven’t had a female suffer any gruesome fate yet. I think maybe Rosalina, her luma, P.Peach, or Kirby could be possible victims of the Nintendo serial killings. I say that thinking that the trailer might have a dreamy, star, galaxy esque theme to it. I guess it’s hard to say though seeing how Mario and Megaman were dropped in a Metroid themed Ridley trailer. Megaman kinda fits and Mario is just kinda there for whatever reason so who really knows who gets the “cut.”

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
If someone were to “die” in Geno’s reveal trailer, who would you think it would be? They haven’t had a female suffer any gruesome fate yet.
Technically Samus died to Ridley and Zero Suit Samus showed up?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but, Ganondorf feels more like an exception rather than a possibility. Even entertaining the echo idea is weird

Different topic: So, will Geno maybe get his own Icon? We still don't know what the second Mario icon means.
I doubt Geno gets treated like a "typical" 3rd party character. If anything, he'll be treated like a Mario character with the same icon.

If Geno were to ever get a new icon, I think it would require Dr. Mario to get a similar treatment.

However, I do think Geno will get a Super Mario RPG theme as his victory music (probably the battle or boss victory theme).

Dan

Smash Lord
Even though the surveys don't matter, I can never decide if I want to go with the characters I want, or the characters the public wants, which leads to the interesting point if I was choosing the characters for the game I would probably do what the people want: like personally, I want Midna, Krystal and Shovel Knight to be upgraded, but in reality it should be Waluigi, Ashley and Shovel Knight.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Spoiler alert: They’re the same person.
People said the same thing about Mario and Dr. Mario, but I've seen them on the screen at the same time. :grin:
And people have noticed that you can't rely on checking for empty spaces for how many characters are left because characters have been moved around in the image to fit other characters.

So, that's not going to be reliable for speculation
Yeah this has been known since the Direct. The dev team really putting down "I see a hole between Ridley and Young Link" nonsense! :laugh:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Even though the surveys don't matter, I can never decide if I want to go with the characters I want, or the characters the public wants, which leads to the interesting point if I was choosing the characters for the game I would probably do what the people want: like personally, I want Midna, Krystal and Shovel Knight to be upgraded, but in reality it should be Waluigi, Ashley and Shovel Knight.
I will NEVER understand the popularity of Waluigi, but who am I to judge? I typically feel the same way, I want to see the majority of the big fan bases to be pleased. That being said, I don't think Krystal is unreasonable at all. I think she still has a decent fan base, and frankly I think she's a much better character than Waluigi. I also feel she represents her series better than Waluigi does. That being said, there is no denying the overwhelming support that Waluigi is getting. I also feel if Wolf didn't get cut in Smash 4, Krystal would have been playable in Ultimate.

I actually wondered how people would treat any of those polls. Me personally, Geno is far and away my number one. The only character that I had even remotely close was King K. Rool, and he got confirmed. So any time I do a poll or a ballot, Geno is my obvious choice. If I had to choose any others, I look at the fan bases. I didn't get very far in Golden Sun, but I would love to see Isaac in. I think Skull Kid is an interesting character and I love the Legend of Zelda series. Bandana Dee is another character I have no ties with, but I want to see in because of the fans. The only other character I really want to see that I have any attachment to is Banjo Kazooie. I loved those games for the N64, but I'm trying to be realistic. I know they are a long shot. I'd like to see Dixie too. Even though I think she's more likely as an echo, I'd want to see her being a unique fighter. So for me, the polls are fairy easy.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I'm also in favor of Exor being the icon for Geno.

I understand people's want for him to have the Mushroom icon and be treated like a full-on Mario character but his situation is more complicated than that. Given that even Yoshi is distinguished from the Mario crew with his own icon, for me it's a no-brainer that the third party character is given his own icon as well.

After all, you wouldn't want kids coming under the impression that Geno can show up again in a Mario game. Not unless Nintendo is willing to outright buy the SMRPG properties.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm also in favor of Exor being the icon for Geno.

I understand people's want for him to have the Mushroom icon and be treated like a full-on Mario character but his situation is more complicated than that. Given that even Yoshi is distinguished from the Mario crew with his own icon, for me it's a no-brainer that the third party character is given his own icon as well.

After all, you wouldn't want kids coming under the impression that Geno can show up again in a Mario game. Not unless Nintendo is willing to outright buy the SMRPG properties.
It might just look odd having a separate series with the title "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars"

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
It might just look odd having a separate series with the title "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars"
Perhaps it's just me but that doesn't bother me too much. SMRPG's font is pretty iconic in itself and distinguishable from the regular Mario canon. Plus, we already have a precedent for this with Geno's Mii costume reveal.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
While the Icon would probably stay the same, i do wonder if we get a "sort by franchise instead of fighter number" option with the roster order , would Geno be put next to all the mario characters or Next to his fellow third parties?

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
If someone were to “die” in Geno’s reveal trailer, who would you think it would be? They haven’t had a female suffer any gruesome fate yet. I think maybe Rosalina, her luma, P.Peach, or Kirby could be possible victims of the Nintendo serial killings. I say that thinking that the trailer might have a dreamy, star, galaxy esque theme to it. I guess it’s hard to say though seeing how Mario and Megaman were dropped in a Metroid themed Ridley trailer. Megaman kinda fits and Mario is just kinda there for whatever reason so who really knows who gets the “cut.”
To be honest. I haven't really been a fan of the "killing" characters in the trailers. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I wish Sakurai would do something different. I love these characters too much. The last one with Luigi really rubbed me the wrong way.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
On one hand, I doubt they'd ever lump "Mario RPG's" into an icon

On the other hand, they did dump Mario Kart into a seperate section into at least one of the Smash games? I don't know.

While the Icon would probably stay the same, i do wonder if we get a "sort by franchise instead of fighter number" option with the roster order , would Geno be put next to all the mario characters or Next to his fellow third parties?
Probably next to Mario. It'd prolly be different if Geno was the main character and Mario was just along for the ride.
To be honest. I haven't really been a fan of the "killing" characters in the trailers. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I wish Sakurai would do something different. I love these characters too much. The last one with Luigi really rubbed me the wrong way.
As much as I'm not big on it (I really didn't care for Ridley's opening in the trailer and I LOVE the character) I think stuff like that makes the trailer more memorable. Seeing King Dedede get absolutely blasted by King K. Rool gives people a lot to talk about - it's a lot of risk and consequence

The Smash 4 trailers, in hindsight, really do not have that. The closest to is probably Villager using his net on Mario.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
I wanted to throw this down in here, as I've been making these points to sceptics in the Geno Discord so I thought it'd be time to put them here.

A lot of people are thinking that Square wouldn't have said yes to Sakurai WHEN (not if) he asked if they could have Geno playable. Square has been on a bit of a downward spiral in the eyes of us the consumers in recent history. We want Geno, and Square is doing effectively nothing with him. Consumers hate anti-consumer practices. I think that if Square wants/wanted to turn their reputation around (and they're a business, so they do), they'd want to give the consumers one of the highest requested characters in Smash history. This is merely speculation, but I think that during Smash 4 DLC days, Square said "Okay, we'll let you have Geno but you gotta put a Final Fantasy character in there too" which is how we got Cloud, and then since a lot of resources were spent on Cloud, Corrin, and Bayo, Geno was pushed off to the next game. In the meantime, Sakurai gives us a Mii Costume with a splash screen just to show that he knows what we want. I am a firm believer that the Mii Costumes we got late into Smash 4 are going to be indicative of the characters we get.

The only problem here is that while it's guaranteed that Square and Sakurai shook hands on Geno, it could've been Nintendo executives that initially said no because "who remembers a blue doll from a single spinoff game late into the SNES's life" until the ballot results came in. Of course, we got King K. Rool almost solely off the ballot, as not even the higher-ups at Nintendo were aware of the sheer magnitude of his popularity. I wouldn't say that Geno and King K. Rool got similar representation in the ballot, as it's fairly obvious King K. Rool was one of if not the highest placer on the ballot, but if we're saying K. Rool is a Tier 1, then Geno is among the likes of Isaac and Shantae in the lower part of Tier 1/upper part of Tier 2.

The stars seem to be aligning too much for Geno. Nintendo acknowledging Mario RPG on Twitter with the little Team Geno / Team Mallow thing seems to be the tipping point. Common sense confirms Geno in Ultimate.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I wanted to throw this down in here, as I've been making these points to sceptics in the Geno Discord so I thought it'd be time to put them here.

A lot of people are thinking that Square wouldn't have said yes to Sakurai WHEN (not if) he asked if they could have Geno playable. Square has been on a bit of a downward spiral in the eyes of us the consumers in recent history. We want Geno, and Square is doing effectively nothing with him. Consumers hate anti-consumer practices. I think that if Square wants/wanted to turn their reputation around (and they're a business, so they do), they'd want to give the consumers one of the highest requested characters in Smash history. This is merely speculation, but I think that during Smash 4 DLC days, Square said "Okay, we'll let you have Geno but you gotta put a Final Fantasy character in there too" which is how we got Cloud, and then since a lot of resources were spent on Cloud, Corrin, and Bayo, Geno was pushed off to the next game. In the meantime, Sakurai gives us a Mii Costume with a splash screen just to show that he knows what we want. I am a firm believer that the Mii Costumes we got late into Smash 4 are going to be indicative of the characters we get.

The only problem here is that while it's guaranteed that Square and Sakurai shook hands on Geno, it could've been Nintendo executives that initially said no because "who remembers a blue doll from a single spinoff game late into the SNES's life" until the ballot results came in. Of course, we got King K. Rool almost solely off the ballot, as not even the higher-ups at Nintendo were aware of the sheer magnitude of his popularity. I wouldn't say that Geno and King K. Rool got similar representation in the ballot, as it's fairly obvious King K. Rool was one of if not the highest placer on the ballot, but if we're saying K. Rool is a Tier 1, then Geno is among the likes of Isaac and Shantae in the lower part of Tier 1/upper part of Tier 2.

The stars seem to be aligning too much for Geno. Nintendo acknowledging Mario RPG on Twitter with the little Team Geno / Team Mallow thing seems to be the tipping point. Common sense confirms Geno in Ultimate.
I think this is exactly what happened. Things happened late in the DLC run of Smash 4. Everyone here knows as it's been discussed multiple times that we weren't going to get Cloud plus Geno. There just wasn't enough time and resources. Sakurai is well aware of Geno's popularity (again, he has mentioned it first hand) and I'm sure Square is aware of his popularity. I'm sure they get bombarded with tweets and such about adding Geno to Smash. Of course we'll never know the true results of the ballot, but we can assume that Geno was high up there on it.

In regards to the part about Square being in a downward spiral, I agree. You'd think they would want to try and do everything to appease consumers and give themselves something that fans remember. I know I'd be grateful if they let him in. There is always the possibility that Nintendo higher ups didn't want Geno, but if Sakurai wanted it, I'm sure it would have happened. I'd think Nintendo would have given him free reign. I'd be interested in seeing when Square and Nintendo started on good terms again.

I will never say Geno is a shoo-in, and I'll never be totally confident in him being included, but there is significantly more positive evidence for his inclusion for this game than negative. Billybae10K Billybae10K stated in his "Re-Rate Their Chances" video that if he were a betting man, he'd bet that Geno were in the game. While this is just his speculation, his videos are very well done, and he always keeps bias aside. He does a pretty thorough job in these videos looking at evidence and his own logic to determine these numbers. He gave him an 85% chance (which I believe is his second highest rating), and frankly, I think that's well deserved. I feel the same way. Based on things we've seen so far (E3, Smash Direct, other various interviews and such) I would bet on the fact that he is in this game. This is EASILY his best chance to get in thus far, and I am (cautiously) optimistic about him being included.

domriver

Smash Lord
hmmmm whos the next victim. In the Geno reveal i want it to be Bowser who kicks the can by Smithy! :D

D

Deleted member

I've been supporting Geno since the Brawl days. When a Mii costume based on him was released for Smash 4, I was like "CLOSE ENOUGH." But now he has another shot, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, I made a handful of potential alt palettes for him a few weeks ago, if y'all don't mind me sharing.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's interesting to see the different colors, but some are pretty extreme lol.

Did you see the artwork of Geno's capes?, the link to these was already posted in the thread, but I thought of putting them here for people who didn't see them. I think they're definitely cool for costumes:

~
And again, it's even possible for Geno to wear these pants:

I'm not saying he should nec wear pants, since he's a doll, but just putting it out there. :)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's interesting to see the different colors, but some are pretty extreme lol.

Did you see the artwork of Geno's capes?, the link to these was already posted in the thread, but I thought of putting them here for people who didn't see them. I think they're definitely cool for costumes:

~
And again, it's even possible for Geno to wear these pants:

I'm not saying he should nec wear pants, since he's a doll, but just putting it out there. :)
Huh, I've never seen those before. Interesting. If Sakurai wanted to, he could use those 5 additional ones for alternate palletes.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been supporting Geno since the Brawl days. When a Mii costume based on him was released for Smash 4, I was like "CLOSE ENOUGH." But now he has another shot, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, I made a handful of potential alt palettes for him a few weeks ago, if y'all don't mind me sharing.

That last one with "Pants"

I wonder if they'd do that for a couple of the alternate colors.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m finally making my rounds to different threads for characters I support. While i’ve never wholeheartedly supported Geno, it was only because I didn’t think he’d ever have a real shot at getting into Smash.

Now, with the Ballot, this is easily his best shot at getting into the game. He’d be a ton of fun, and I can’t imagine he wasn’t a big vote-getter. Here’s hoping we get lucky and get to see Geno make his Smash Bros. debut this December!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't know what Discord is, lol. I think someone has one

TBone06

Smash Ace
Saw this on the Skull Kid page: https://nl.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-NZNB6M9ML/instant/

Apparently this was on 4Chan. 705 people were surveyed. Geno finished third behind Skull Kid and Banjo Kazooie. Not that this means anything since we already knew he was extremely popular, but I found it interesting that he has a big fan base beyond SmashBoards. Always nice seeing things like this in my eyes.

I saw this too! That's crazy! I don't know if it's an actual leaker or if it's just a guy doing predictions, but it sure looks like he knows something based on everything he's been saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom