• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
This may be my dude Geno’s last chance to get in. He is by far the longest standing character request aside form Ridley. But now Ridley is in Smash so who knows if Geno will finally get his chance. This could go down as the greatest Mario series character reveal of all space and time!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If they were to something new(Which I am kinda half expecting if they do bring him in), I imagine it would mostly come down to giving him more clothing. I like Geno's design and he is a wooden toy, but you gotta admit, it is a little awkward nowadays that his only articles of clothing is a cap, a tiny cape, and boots.
i think its possible that a Geno redesign would cause him to wear some stuff from SMRPG that we couldnt see in game i will show some examples of what he can wear (he cant wear Jump Shoe P.25, B'tub Ring P.68, Attack scarf P.101 though since they are exclusive to mario and peach) and i would actually be happy about if it happens

Work Pants

Super Suit

EVEN LAZY SHELL

also lets not forget about all the capes that he had in SMRPG

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i think its possible that a Geno redesign would cause him to wear some stuff from SMRPG that we couldnt see in game i will show some examples of what he can wear (he cant wear Jump Shoe P.25, B'tub Ring P.68, Attack scarf P.101 though since they are exclusive to mario and peach) and i would actually be happy about if it happens

Work Pants

Super Suit

EVEN LAZY SHELL

also lets not forget about all the capes that he had in SMRPG
If anyone's curious, Mario Wiki actually has pictures of all the armors

https://www.mariowiki.com/Armor

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I kind of feel like there has been some antagonism in the speculation forum recently, which I haven't exactly kept away form.

I've got this poll going on here
https://smashboards.com/threads/bleeding-between-fandoms-finding-the-common-ground.455951/

The goal being the show common ground between fandoms

It's not always US vs THEM.

A lot of the time they are also part of us. Or at least that's the hope of it
Geno is one of the most hated popular characters there is tbh, because he doesn't really rep anything important. People are too caught up on that imo.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Venn Diagram.jpg

It looks like from my (Less than a day) poll results the most fandoms that have common ground with Geno are K Rool and Isaac.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I kind of feel like there has been some antagonism in the speculation forum recently, which I haven't exactly kept away form.

I've got this poll going on here
https://smashboards.com/threads/bleeding-between-fandoms-finding-the-common-ground.455951/

The goal being the show common ground between fandoms

It's not always US vs THEM.

A lot of the time they are also part of us. Or at least that's the hope of it
Where's the K. Rool, Geno and Banjo-Kazooie option?

Also having a poll where users can type in entries would probably be more helpful as there are any number of combinations of characters users want. It wouldn't be hard to write up a bot to find the most commonly submitted groupings of characters to help establish common ground amongst Smashboards users either, if you made the poll that way...

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Where's the K. Rool, Geno and Banjo-Kazooie option?

Also having a poll where users can type in entries would probably be more helpful as there are any number of combinations of characters users want. It wouldn't be hard to write up a bot to find the most commonly submitted groupings of characters to help establish common ground amongst Smashboards users either, if you made the poll that way...
Smashboards has a 50 option limit. 5 characters was the most I could choose and still be able to put all the options

The problem I have with making single option polls having people choose multiple options would be that people would treat it much more like a popularity contest and at least some people would be much more inclined to only select 1 option. There would also people some people that do not realize they could select more than one option.

But that would be interesting to test

If I have a few characters and have all the character combinations written out and force a 1 option selection, at least for this I can get a more accurate result. Even if just for these 5 fandoms.

Another thing I can do is make multiple polls with some option changes so removing and adding some characters and over time I could get a result on EVERY fandom. But that would take time.

---

There is also the fact I don't think I've seen any animosity toward the Banjo Kazooie fandom. These are the fandoms I've seen at least some animosity between the last couple days. I also wanted to add Dixie, but 5 was the most I could do with the limited space

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just realized Mario's "Shirt" item is overalls.

Pants

Apparently you wear shirts over your legs in the Mario universe

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just had a thought, do you think they would put Geno under the Super Mario series banner or make a unique banner for him alone due to his third party nature?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, it's not like it would be the first time a character from the Mario universe got there own section. Look at Wario, Yoshi, and DK.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I mean, it's not like it would be the first time a character from the Mario universe got there own section. Look at Wario, Yoshi, and DK.
Wario and DK's individual games are loosely connected to Mario - he only directly shows up in cameos like Wario Land 1 or Donkey Kong Country 2, and for the most part, they're separate entities from the Mario series.

Yoshi's a different case (most of his supporting cast consists of baby versions of pre-existing Mario characters), but that could have been early installment weirdness for Smash, since Yoshi's Story was a thing at the time. Maybe they thought it would be bigger than it wound up being?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Wario and DK's individual games are loosely connected to Mario - he only directly shows up in cameos like Wario Land 1 or Donkey Kong Country 2, and for the most part, they're separate entities from the Mario series.

Yoshi's a different case (most of his supporting cast consists of baby versions of pre-existing Mario characters), but that could have been early installment weirdness for Smash, since Yoshi's Story was a thing at the time. Maybe they thought it would be bigger than it wound up being?
Geno and SMRPG is in a weird place too though. We all obviously know he's not owned by Nintendo, SMRPG is a one time spin-off from Square 22 years ago. It's a Mario game, but no more than Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion is. It can easily be seen as it's own thing, if they chose to. Put a little star as the icon. I can see it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Geno and SMRPG is in a weird place too though. We all obviously know he's not owned by Nintendo, SMRPG is a one time spin-off from Square 22 years ago. It's a Mario game, but no more than Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion is. It can easily be seen as it's own thing, if they chose to. Put a little star as the icon. I can see it.
I think they are more likely put Exor as the icon. He is probably the single most iconic thing in SMRPG, only really rivaled by Geno. Plus, Kirby already has a star icon.

Thani

Smash Cadet
Geno with the Star Cape as one of his colors would be really great. Patriot Mario costume will finally have a friend.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think they are more likely put Exor as the icon. He is probably the single most iconic thing in SMRPG, only really rivaled by Geno. Plus, Kirby already has a star icon.
I meant this star specifically

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
i don't get the antagonism for the character in a world where final fantasy already has a rep and square is involved from day 1. If we only did relevant characters, the game would get predictable quick, and good characters would get lost in the midst of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is the same series that included a meme dog and made it work

I mostly want him because he would be something fresh and exciting, gunner/mage types are under repped and a hybrid would be great to see over swordsman/brawler no 20 or whatever

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
i don't get the antagonism for the character in a world where final fantasy already has a rep and square is involved from day 1. If we only did relevant characters, the game would get predictable quick, and good characters would get lost in the midst of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is the same series that included a meme dog and made it work

I mostly want him because he would be something fresh and exciting, gunner/mage types are under repped and a hybrid would be great to see over swordsman/brawler no 20 or whatever
It is a touch strange. Looking at the Bleeding Between Fandoms pool, the 4th highest vote as of now is the choice that brings in everyone except Geno, which I find interesting when compared to the others that exempt one character. There just seems to be this strange antagonism towards Geno. One person in that chat blamed the fans for there dislike of the character, so did something happen related to Geno fans after he was disconfirmed for Brawl? I am just confused with this prevalent anger.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I would think Exor for sure. Exor is featured on all marketing for Super Mario RPG and really set the tone for the game, both in the beginning and the endgame.

The Mario mushroom COULD be used, but if you think about his third-party status and what it took to get him, it would be odd to classify him as a typical Mario character.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I mean, that has nothing really to do with SMRPG specifically. When I see a super star, I think of the classic Mario side scrollers and Mario Kart. Especially Mario Kart.
How about 7 stars like this then?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
How about 7 stars like this then?
That would fit, but I fear there would be a ton of Dragon Ball memes to follow. I just feel Exor fits the best for the same reasons Xigger said above.
I would think Exor for sure. Exor is featured on all marketing for Super Mario RPG and really set the tone for the game, both in the beginning and the endgame.

The Mario mushroom COULD be used, but if you think about his third-party status and what it took to get him, it would be odd to classify him as a typical Mario character.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
If anyone's curious, Mario Wiki actually has pictures of all the armors

https://www.mariowiki.com/Armor
Awesome! I'd love me som Happy Cape if he gets into Smash. It looks pretty dope!
View attachment 149978

It looks like from my (Less than a day) poll results the most fandoms that have common ground with Geno are K Rool and Isaac.
Does not surprise me at all.
We are all bunch of irelevant joes who looks for a second chance to shine.

It's actually pretty funny, since I associate all of them with huge fan-demand since Brawl.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Geno hasn't starred in any of his own games.(no pun intended) Although if Square and Nintendo would've maintained their relationship in the late 90's I believe Geno always had the potential to get his own series.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That would fit, but I fear there would be a ton of Dragon Ball memes to follow. I just feel Exor fits the best for the same reasons Xigger said above.
If his announcement trailer started with the seven star icon, it would lead to so many reactions because of the Dragonball misconception. That'd be interesting to see.

Exor is fine, but I just feel it's a little too much, personally. Doesn't really matter at the end of the day though, I'd take the Mushroom just as well as long as Geno made it.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Geno hasn't starred in any of his own games.(no pun intended) Although if Square and Nintendo would've maintained their relationship in the late 90's I believe Geno always had the potential to get his own series.
Well ... Waluigi did not get his own series either, but he is really popular too.

Still ... Since you mention it. What type of game would you like to see Geno have, or focus on? It's a question I'd like to open for everyone, as it seems like it could be a fun discussion topic.

"Geno: The lost puppet."

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Well ... Waluigi did not get his own series either, but he is really popular too.

Still ... Since you mention it. What type of game would you like to see Geno have, or focus on? It's a question I'd like to open for everyone, as it seems like it could be a fun discussion topic.

"Geno: The lost puppet."
That last comment came off very cute lol

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I imagine it would stick with its RPG roots. Geno would be of course the protagonist this time around and team up with characters that are new for the game and characters that share his sort of darkhorse status. I also feel like Rosalina would play a role in the game as well, be it as an important npc or a party member.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Awesome! I'd love me som Happy Cape if he gets into Smash. It looks pretty dope!

Does not surprise me at all.
We are all bunch of irelevant joes who looks for a second chance to shine.

It's actually pretty funny, since I associate all of them with huge fan-demand since Brawl.
The interesting thing is K Rool is both the fandom that mixes the most with other fandoms and simultaneously the fandom that doesn't

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The interesting thing is K Rool is both the fandom that mixes the most with other fandoms and simultaneously the fandom that doesn't
That's because the fanbase is so huge.
It's like every big fanbase. Plenty of different characters. That's why one should never compare one for the other. We are all accountable for our own actions.
And, because of that, there are of course plenty of people who just loves other characters as well, like me.

I did not know who Geno was when I wanted him. I just thought he looked epic. Then I heard his theme, and I was blessed.
Geno was this mysterious, cool kid on the block. I loved his potential, and thought he'd be cool.

Back in Brawl, Geno, King K. Rool, King Dedede, Isaac, Skull Kid, Sonic the Hedgehog and Samurai Goroh were my most wanted characters.
What a great time that was, hehe.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The fandom for K Rool has A LOT of people in it

And the fans are either fans of K Rool and a bunch of other people or fans of JUST K Rool and don't care about anyone else.

Geno or Isaac, for example, don't have a lot of people that ONLY care about Geno or Isaac. In fact, a lot of Geno or Isaac fans are also K Rool fans.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i feel they are going to put the star road as the icon for any SMRPG rep since this is the most important thing to fix in SMRPG and this is what you have to carry on your main quest and even the name of the game has the world "stars" on it so it would make more sense to put the star road instead of Exor which is a boss that could defeated by one single Geno whirl

even though kirby already has a star icon the star road will look different since it looks damaged

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno's symbol in the game is just a regular Star, but I think the Starman would be more visually appealing

However, I suspect he'd just get the Mario Mushroom Icon

Staarih

Smash Master
I think the Starman from Mario would be a fun emblem for Geno - it's a star so it suits Geno, but it's not the Mario mushroom so it differentiates Geno from the rest (let's face it: he is a special case not only because of Square, but also being from an RPG game, untypical for Mario characters) - yet the Starman is still from the Mario franchise so some connection is there.

...but I'm guessing they'd still go with mushroom. I don't honestly really care what icon he uses as long as he gets in haha.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
My only concern if he uses the mushroom icon and counts as a Mario rep is that we would never hear the end of it from Captain Toad, Paper Mario and maybe Waluigi supporters how an "undeserving" third party Mario character made it in over them. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom