• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Well, here it is
Yeah, I don't trust that list. Some of these front runners are just flavor of the week popular choices or completely random(I am sorry, in what reality is WART a front runner?). Plus, they clearly did not do there research. Why isn't Geno in the third-party section? I know he is kinda a Nintendo character owned by a different company, but still.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, I don't trust that list. Some of these front runners are just flavor of the week popular choices or completely random(I am sorry, in what reality is WART a front runner?). Plus, they clearly did not do there research. Why isn't Geno in the third-party section? I know he is kinda a Nintendo character owned by a different company, but still.
Well, again. It was a poll of who voted on 4chan. A lot of them could have been troll votes

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, again. It was a poll of who voted on 4chan. A lot of them could have been troll votes
It's a shame we don't have a more concrete list for the American or European side. Not that in the end they will be accurate to what the ballot got(I am pretty sure no one saw Bayo coming), but it is still nice to see.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's a shame we don't have a more concrete list for the American or European side. Not that in the end they will be accurate to what the ballot got(I am pretty sure no one saw Bayo coming), but it is still nice to see.
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

"It seems that this list of characters is what Japanese users believe is popular in the West. "

LOL

---

BTW, I got into a little spat in RTC over Isaac after the guy flat out said Geno is not getting in Smash.

Those kind of little petty arguments are actually what I kind of wanted to avoid people doing. Then I go and do it myself.

I'm kind of an emotions near the top kind of person

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

"It seems that this list of characters is what Japanese users believe is popular in the West. "

LOL

---

BTW, I got into a little spat in RTC over Isaac after the guy flat out said Geno is not getting in Smash.

Those kind of little petty arguments are actually what I kind of wanted to avoid people doing. Then I go and do it myself.

Huh. That certainly would explain some things.

Oh. Did not notice the added edits. I saw that a couple of minutes ago. I do not know much about Issac and I do think he is unlikely, but in many ways he kinda reminds me of Geno. Not as potent as Geno, but still similar. It appears his fans are still fighting for his inclusion after all these years, and perhaps the idea of another achieving the goal of being pulled out of obscurity and age, especially with someone as strange of an existence as Geno, might be threatening to some people. Especially when you consider the idea that Issacs following has been waning over the years, as well as the slap in the face of his AT removal. Kinda went on a spiel there, but it was something I noticed. And I clearly know what many have gone through here in this chat. Both sides have gone through a downward of popularity, it just so happens that much is in Geno's favor. But please, don't do anything rash, especially in the RTC. The way IU see it, in a couple days it will be Geno's turn to be re-rated, and there we can state our evidence as a collective. Everything from Sakurais word, to the costume diffrences, to the Nintendo SMRPG anniversary tweet. That is the way I see this best handled.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have a confession to make though

I actually did vote Abe Lincoln on the poll, at least once.

Love me some Codename STEAM

So it's not like they are 100% wrong

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Official ballot.

I voted for Geno mostly

But also Blastoise, Abe Lincoln, Banjo Kazooie, K Rool, and Ridley
I only voted once in case voting more than once on the same device over wrote votes, and I voted for Shantae. Honestly, I don't think many people here voted for Geno. If I recall correctly, Cloud and Square's involvement was revealed till after it closed, so there was little hope for Geno fans due to Square being typically stingy. That and a lot of bandwagoning.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I only voted once in case voting more than once on the same device over wrote votes, and I voted for Shantae. Honestly, I don't think many people here voted for Geno. If I recall correctly, Cloud and Square's involvement was revealed till after it closed, so there was little hope for Geno fans due to Square being typically stingy. That and a lot of bandwagoning.
I was the creator of the Smash 4 Geno thread so I wasn't going to not Vote geno

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I was the creator of the Smash 4 Geno thread so I wasn't going to not Vote geno
Make's sense. Anyway, with the Geno rerate coming up on RTC, I think we should actually prep ourselves for it. I do not recall what is the exact date, but it is soon. Prep our evidence, state our chances and wants in advance in this chat, that kinda thing. The key thing holding Geno back from being taken seriously in the boards is a lack of that concentrated voice. The only place you can get the full list of evidence are in this chat, but this is our chance to bring it to place where it can be more widely seen.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

LOL

---

Me too. I never try and dump on someone else's character. I'm happy for anyone who can get their favorite in. Like who you want. But don't dump on my character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
(I am pretty sure no one saw Bayo coming)
I saw her coming from base game, I legit thought ''she'll be in Smash." the moment Nintendo invested in her future.

So there were a few of us. We were always talked down and called crazy, but we were there.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I was one of those supporters that defended and supported Bayonetta's inclusion for the longest time. Though I stopped predicting her last minute, I always felt that she was going to be in, and I could never shake the feeling away until she was confirmed playable as the ballot candidate.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As for poll results, I think virtually every "exit poll" result you're gonna find is going to be inaccurate because of how wildly different each polling smash community is in terms of their opinion, I think.
Though you might be able to interpret patterns from some, it probably won't reflect the actual poll at all because then you also have to consider how many people polled vs how many people are part of these communities that voted in an "exit poll".

...I voted for Paper Mario [insert Tidus laugh here]

Staarih

Smash Master
SourceGaming's newest Rate That Character video is for Geno:

65% as an Echo, 50% as unique.

The first time I've heard Geno being an Echo... and for Mii Fighter for all things. Sounds pretty nonsensical, like, wouldn't that be basically the same as what the costume already is? This Echo Fighter thing is really going crazy, sounds like every character has a shot as one nowadays.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013

The first time I've heard Geno being an Echo... and for Mii Fighter for all things. Sounds pretty nonsensical, like, wouldn't that be basically the same as what the costume already is? This Echo Fighter thing is really going crazy, sounds like every character has a shot as one nowadays.
Honestly, if that were the only way that Geno would make it into this game as playable though (DLC or otherwise), I'd take it. A playable Geno in any aspect outside of being a costume or playable Assist Trophy (if such a mode would ever become a reality) would be a dream come true. Who knows, maybe he'd be upgraded to semi-clone or a brand new moveset next game too.

TL;DR: be grateful if he is an Echo or semi-clone.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

As unsavory as that is at first glance... it's not like it doesn't make sense.
I'd rather he be unique but if Sakurai decides he wants to do something weird I've never been against it haha.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice

He would be better off as his own character, he is in Legacy XP and his moveset is really good, revolving around range kind of like these two.:ultlink::ultsamus:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
He would be better off as his own character, he is in Legacy XP and his moveset is really good, revolving around range kind of like these two.:ultlink::ultsamus:
Geno should be his own fighter. End of story. I've waited long enough. It's his turn.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Geno should be his own fighter. End of story. I've waited long enough. It's his turn.
I second this, I don't see them going through all the trouble to get him to make him an echo. It bothers me too the people in the comments on the YouTube video talking about his relevance. Ice Climbers, ROB, Duck Hunt, Pit and Game and Watch didn't have relevance either. Sure Geno's situation is a little bit different as he wasn't the main character, but I think he represents a game that was crucial to the history of the Mario RPG series.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I absolutely do not want to see Sakurai taking shortcuts for Geno. We supporters waited over 10 years to see him, and I would rather not see Sakurai respond with clone treatment.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Geno's abilities are far too unique for him to be a suitable Echo of anybody. It's kind of weird that he was even made a Mii gunner costume in the first place, despite how grateful I am for that. His magic attacks are too versatile and the Timed Hit mechanic one no other new character could have. Even his weapons loadout is too cartoonish and varied to really represent him right as a clone or a Mii costume. He just wouldn't work out as an Echo character.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Btw, I took a look and saw that the RTC for Geno should be tomorrow.
Edit: The 25th actually. I was really drowsy.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
The same people who think Geno is a possible candidate to be an echo fighter of Mii Gunner are the same idiots who think Isaac is a possible echo fighter for Robin

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
mii fighter echos are a interesting concept. Miis were always the unfortuante casualty of smash 4, being based around what is possibly the biggest flop in smash (custom moves) and a "standardized" version may be good to let them in comp. Geno as a Mii Gunner however? Just because Sakurai said he'd be *like* a mii gunner doesn't mean he was the mii gunner, if gunner was more original I wouldn't mind but a lot of gunner's moves are based on other characters like Samus so it would feel like a dertaive character of a derative character. Ain't feeling that idea, even if when Geno's out of the question I wouldn't mind a way to create a standard mii character.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
The same people who think Geno is a possible candidate to be an echo fighter of Mii Gunner are the same idiots who think Isaac is a possible echo fighter for Robin
Isaac and Geno as echo fighters will be trash they got unique move sets as there stand along character its mature.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I'd probably give him a 50% too, honestly. I think it makes sense.

They gave Ridley a 50% chance, lol. And he got in

Gonna ignore that echo fighter thing...

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490

I would think that a third-party character being an echo of a first-party character wouldn't really slide with both Square and Sakurai.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Geno as an echo seems super unlikely...

in fact I think Daisy, our one new echo fighter that we know of, might exist partly because sakurai might feel newer/younger mario fans wont recognize Geno. Daisy is an easy way to give the mario series a newcomer young fans DO recognize instead of having Geno be our ONLY new mario character, again someone young fans would not recognize and might be completely confused by his inclusion.

This is probably the worst case of "echo hype" yet.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Geno as an echo seems super unlikely...

in fact I think Daisy, our one new echo fighter that we know of, might exist partly because sakurai might feel newer/younger mario fans wont recognize Geno. Daisy is an easy way to give the mario series a newcomer young fans DO recognize instead of having Geno be our ONLY new mario character, again someone young fans would not recognize and might be completely confused by his inclusion.

This is probably the worst case of "echo hype" yet.
I highly doubt Sakurai feels that way at all given what he's said about Geno. He's wanted Geno in since the Brawl days too. The only reason Geno even is a Mii costume in the first place was because circumstances beyond Sakurai's control kept him off of the roster, and the Mii costume was his way of giving us at least something. Those were his words, paraphrased.

I'm pretty sure he just made Daisy an echo because it was an easy and cheap way for him to beef up the roster. I honestly get the impression that they're tired of making new, unique characters because it takes such work to make a wholly-new model, with wholly-new animations, and to balance every single aspect of the character's moves and play-strategy.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Somewhere...

in the alternative universe...

Geno takes up 3 slots in the smash roster

One of them being Geno with a modern design

The other one being Geno & Mallow as duo with the original SMRPG designs

The last one being Geno-Kun from Super Mario-Kun manga as an echo fighter of Geno

Also Geno Mii stays

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
One of them being Geno with a modern design
Actually, would Sakurai change Geno's design to be a bit more modern? That is what he did for Pit, and Geno's design might need to be touched up a bit. I imagine he would do something similar to what Smashified did.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually, would Sakurai change Geno's design to be a bit more modern? That is what he did for Pit, and Geno's design might need to be touched up a bit. I imagine he would do something similar to what Smashified did.
He's definitely getting touch ups if they add him as a character. There is no question about that/

I wonder if it'd be better if they try something knew or just simply updated like his Smashified art.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
i'd think they'd only do a large design update if they had plans for him (I wouldn't be surprised if a sakurai wanted to do a kid icarus reboot for a while). While it would be great to see SMRPG world return and save us from the mediocrity of mario rpgs for the last 5 or so years, I would imagine it would be unlikely unless square is gonna stick to their doubling down on switch titles (Maybe octopath success will determine).

That being said, we haven't seen much of geno outside of some a game that used that pre rendered sprite style that quickly went out of fashion, and a breif showing in a gba game. i don't expect modern vs classic levels of difference, but some mild changes to make him look better in full hd would make sense.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
He's definitely getting touch ups if they add him as a character. There is no question about that/

I wonder if it'd be better if they try something knew or just simply updated like his Smashified art.
If they were to something new(Which I am kinda half expecting if they do bring him in), I imagine it would mostly come down to giving him more clothing. I like Geno's design and he is a wooden toy, but you gotta admit, it is a little awkward nowadays that his only articles of clothing is a cap, a tiny cape, and boots.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
If they were to something new(Which I am kinda half expecting if they do bring him in), I imagine it would mostly come down to giving him more clothing. I like Geno's design and he is a wooden toy, but you gotta admit, it is a little awkward nowadays that his only articles of clothing is a cap, a tiny cape, and boots.
I think his current design is perfectly fine, actually. It's simple and to the point, which I prefer over most of the overdesigned characters you see nowadays.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Personally, I think they'd mostly keep him the way he was in his Mii costume. The difference would be the presentation; with the Mii costume, they could get away with it looking how it did since it's, well, a costume. There isn't a lot of depth to it. If Geno comes as a full character I feel like they would design him to resemble real wooden dolls. The fabric and wood textures, the way his joints move, etc. It would keep the design of Geno relatively identical while giving him that extra push.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom