• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
LeakyPandy is 10% credible at best. They even closed their old Twitter account, and while they make it known as to what account it was, you can't see any of their old stuff on it.

Their sources, if they have any, give information that's worth crap.

Until the awards come and a new SE character is announced, or Skull Kid actually is a boss for whatever reason despite his small size making him a good choice for a fighter, there's no reason to give them the time of day.
iirc they've put all their info in a post on their twitter including everything they predicted / leaked on their old account, including the wrong stuff. So they're at least transparent there.

Pandy's gonna linger until Skull Kid shows up, one way or another.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
iirc they've put all their info in a post on their twitter including everything they predicted / leaked on their old account, including the wrong stuff. So they're at least transparent there.

Pandy's gonna linger until Skull Kid shows up, one way or another.
I think I saw that, but I wasn't sure it was everything. They may have gotten No More Heroes stuff correct, but I'm not sure as I don't remember what it was :S

Still, their source for the March direct, if it wasn't just a prediction, straight-up lied about its contents :I

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They talk about the game the characters from being nominated but not winning because of political drama - which Dragon Quest 11 is involved in
LeakyPanda? Yeh I like them. I'm not saying they're 100% credible, but they might have something. I do think though that the possibilities are endless, so I'm not convinced anyone has it right totally.
That said, If they'd choose the female lead for DQ 11, that'd be pretty awesome.
And I don't see any reason to keep shantae out of the running :D

I'll accept whatever's the actual deal in the end though.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Ugh, music update is Animal Crossing to coincide with Isabelle...Looks like the music theory is still alive and continuing to be correct. I wish it wasn't, I really do, as it would disconfirm my two most wanted, and it supports that godawful box theory...

I'm just hoping Geno either gets his own icon, or they make an exception and just post more Mario music. There are two mushroom icons in sound test, after all. Posting some Pokemon music would kill the theory too, if Incineroar is to be expected (which I believe he is.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Justy7s

Smash Rookie
Ugh, music update is Animal Crossing to coincide with Isabelle...Looks like the music theory is still alive and continuing to be correct. I wish it wasn't, I really do, as it would disconfirm my two most wanted, and it supports that godawful box theory...

I'm just hoping Geno either gets his own icon, or they make an exception and just post more Mario music. There are two mushroom icons in sound test, after all. Posting some Pokemon music would kill the theory too, if Incineroar is to be expected (which I believe he is.)
One Mario icon is for Mario Kart, it was like that in Wii U too iirc

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not sure if we should believe LeakyPandy. It would be devastating to Geno if you do, potentially.

But the pessimism in me, which is my gut feeling, is that the SE character is from Dragon Quest.

But people point out that LeakyPandy doesn't have a perfect track record

But at the same time, this leak is so specific.

But at the same time, I don't really see the leak being talked about a whole lot of people. I'm not seeing a lot of people taking Leaky Pandy seriously.

But again, it doesn't contradict Verg or the box theory. And while they aren't perfect, they have gotten certain info right.

Edit:

Literally no one but a couple Geno pessimists is even talking about this leak. Maybe I should just ignore it for now and see what happens.

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I can't take Leaky Panda seriously. No offense to the guy, but his credibility is pretty low.

Plus, c'mon...Sakurai is clearly giving fans what they want this time around. He knows people want Geno. He himself wants Geno, or at minimum wanted him at one time. If there's another Square Enix rep, why would it be anyone else?

I'm willing to bet, if it ain't Geno, we're not getting another Square Enix rep.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I'm not sure if we should believe LeakyPandy. It would be devastating to Geno if you do, potentially.

But the pessimism in me, which is my gut feeling, is that the SE character is from Dragon Quest.

But people point out that LeakyPandy doesn't have a perfect track record

But at the same time, this leak is so specific.

But at the same time, I don't really see the leak being talked about a whole lot of people. I'm not seeing a lot of people taking Leaky Pandy seriously.

But again, it doesn't contradict Verg or the box theory. And while they aren't perfect, they have gotten certain info right.

Edit:

Literally no one but a couple Geno pessimists is even talking about this leak. Maybe I should just ignore it for now and see what happens.

Personally think you should ignore the box theory too. We have no reason to believe the validity of a mock up made for the soul purpose of marketing. I'd wait to see a real box rather than a photo shopped imagining that was clearly made with the reveal structure in mind to avoid spoilers. I think Geno is safe for now. =)

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Thank you!
I'm getting tired of all this pessimism going around the Geno group. it would be one thing if we had something clearly saying Geno was unlikely. but everything has been things that could go anywhere and Geno's chances have remained the same the entire time. and those chances have been HIGH!

Come on people! a glorious future is awaiting us!! never has the sun shined brighter on our fandom!! never have our chances been so incredibly high!! we just have to wait a little longer for our wishes to reach star road so they may be granted!

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I can't take Leaky Panda seriously. No offense to the guy, but his credibility is pretty low.

Plus, c'mon...Sakurai is clearly giving fans what they want this time around. He knows people want Geno. He himself wants Geno, or at minimum wanted him at one time. If there's another Square Enix rep, why would it be anyone else?

I'm willing to bet, if it ain't Geno, we're not getting another Square Enix rep.
Man, I wish I could be that confident about Geno. The only thing I'm confident in is that my whole county is going to hear me cry like a baby if he's announced.

Personally think you should ignore the box theory too. We have no reason to believe the validity of a mock up made for the soul purpose of marketing. I'd wait to see a real box rather than a photo shopped imagining that was clearly made with the reveal structure in mind to avoid spoilers. I think Geno is safe for now. =)
In the Court of Law, you are innocent until proven guilty. When it comes to leaks, I would like to say that leaks are fake until proven true. Thus, the only thing we can truly rely on is official announcements by Sakurai and Nintendo (I had people chewing me apart about the Duck Hunt leaks back in the day just because I kept telling them 'It isn't true until Nintendo says it is.'). That being said, Corocoro Magazine is a VERY reliable source, and while Vergeben could be wrong he has yet to be so when it comes to Ultimate. So the closest we can get at this moment is that we will have 108 stages at launch and that we are likely to get Ken Masters as an Echo Fighter, Incineroar as a unique fighter to represent Gen 7 Pokemon, and a character that represents Square Enix.

You guys wanna know my big bust against the box theory? It's simple: I believe it's fake because it's not hype in the slightest. Yes, you read that right: my reasoning for why it's fake is because it's not cool and nobody wants the reveals to end that way. I KNOW it sounds dumb, but here me out:

1. Sakurai has been giving us everything we ever wanted, everything we ever thought about wanting and everything we didn't know we wanted. Why in the hell would he stop the long-requested reveals at just three unique characters and three echoes when it's clearly simple enough to make more echoes and the list of 11-plus-year-long has barely been half-way completed (Ridley, K.Rool, Daisy and Simon [which I didn't know was so requested back in the Brawl days until just recently] are here, but Geno, Issac, Banjo-Kazooie, Bandana Dee [which I'm upset I didn't know he had such a following as Kirby is one of my favorite franchises that I started playing with Kirby Super Star and the Megaton Punch was my favorite mini-game. I guess I just didn't know he was more than a regular Waddle Dee and I stopped playing Kirby games after Crystal Shards up until Super Start Ultra] and Rayman are still in the dark.). Let me know if there are more characters that were highly requested at the time, I'm going based off what I remember and what I've learned recently.

2. Sakurai has been hyping the crap out of this game. Let's take a look at all the crazy things he's done to make this game hype: I mean, it's called Ultimate, so even it's damn name is hype; EVERYONE IS HERE, and Sakurai meant it with all the returning cast; turns out he also meant it with newcomers and echoes; APPARENTLY HE MEANT IT FOR STAGES TOO, JEEZ!; LOOK AT ALL THE MODES WE CAN PLAY!; Hazard Toggle? Final Smash Meter? the surprise Stage Morph?; Sakurai is catering more to the competitive scene with many of his changes and the options available, yet he's also given casual so much as well; Sakurai has been leaving the big bombs at the end of each Smash Direct (Ridley, then K.Rool); he is also announcing all the characters before the game drops, likely to stay ahead of these dirty leakers ;); we also clearly have some sort or story mode coming that is big enough for him to likely dedicate the majority of a Smash Direct to...and there are likely other hype and ridiculous things I've missed. Now I know we all know all these things, but reflect on all that and then imagine Sakurai dropping Story Mode and Ken Masters and Incineroar plus five more stages...and that's it. As much as we have been given (and are hopefully grateful for), it would still be a bit of a Debby Downer if that was how the last Smash reveal went before the game launched. It frankly is a stark contrast with recent events, and thus I doubt Sakurai would let that be the end.

Add in that we still have all of October and November for Smash reveals AND that Sakurai isn't dumb enough to have a digital mock-up box spoil his greatest game of all time, and I think we can be safe that we have much more than just two characters and five stages on the way.

Side-note: I've been listening to SMRPG OST pretty much everyday since the Smash Ultimate train was officially on it's course at E3, and whenever I'm in this thread I turn it on. It's rather immersive, you guys should try it if you haven't already.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Music Theory doesn't necessarily support Box Theory, because it seems to suggest that we might be getting another Xenoblade and another Sonic character. But I don't put any stock into any theories that are based on circumstantial evidence. For all we know a second Kirby or Splatoon song could be posted next week or something.

EDIT: Also Ken is 90% a lock at this point and there's already Street Fighter music. And Dark Samus was revealed after the Metroid music.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Music Theory doesn't necessarily support Box Theory, because it seems to suggest that we might be getting another Xenoblade and another Sonic character. But I don't put any stock into any theories that are based on circumstantial evidence. For all we know a second Kirby or Splatoon song could be posted next week or something.

EDIT: Also Ken is 90% a lock at this point and there's already Street Fighter music. And Dark Samus was revealed after the Metroid music.
Echos don't apply to the music theory since music uploads have never been specifically tied to an echo. There was already Metroid music for Ridley and they have so far never showcased more than one track from the same franchise on the website.

That being said, it's still a theory and not proven fact.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Now the biggest point I see people bring up as to why Geno won't be in the base game is because they think the square character will be DLC announced before release. I would like to state my case as to why I believe this is a false belief.

Exhibit A: https://sourcegaming.info/2015/04/23/sakurai-on-dlc-its-all-about-making-players-happy/

"These days, the “DLC scam” has become quite the epidemic, charging customers extra money to complete what was essentially an unfinished product. I completely understand how aggravated players must feel. After all, a game should be 100% done at the time of release, and I would be livid if it were split up and sold in pieces."

Sakurai HATES day one/early DLC: his words are VERY strong here. He doesn't make DLC before the game is finished in order to sell it separately in order to make more money. he see's that as the scam that it is. his method when handling DLC is to start work on it after the game is finished. focusing all his and his team's energy on finishing the product and making it the best it can be.

The argument against this is "what about mewtwo he was announced before WiiU was out" yes, but he was also announced AFTER the 3DS version had already been out for a month! the roster itself was finished. only like another month till the WiiU game was coming out. which at this point was likely already finished as well just going through production of the product.

and when we first saw Mewtwo we didn't even get a full trailer for him. just a basic model, it was barely not a T pose! clearly there had not been much work put into him yet because of how Sakurai handles DLC

Furthermore Mewtwo was this special case "We originally decided to create Mewtwo on the premise that we would distribute him as a special thanks to users who bought both versions of Sm4sh" they planned on him as soon as they even did because the idea was to make a special gift for the fans that bought both games. This isn't going to be the norm for Sakurai in the future.

So I don't believe there has been any work done on DLC characters. much less talk about them since there is not gonna be a special gift this time.
So that Mystery Square Enix character along with Ken and Incineroar are all gonna be base game (side note if anyone was gonna be a last minute addition it would be incineroar. seeing his game out almost a year after the project plan was finished so they likely had to wait on final designs while everyone else was fully known who they were)

Also I think that mystery character is quite clearly and obviously Geno. you can throw Sora, DQ, and everyone else out the window because Geno IS the only option that would be on Sakurai's radar.
1:
"What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality.

Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?

Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests."

2:
"Sakurai: I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time"

3:
"Nomura: When we first talked, I asked “are you sure you’re okay with Cloud?” He’s not a character from a new game, after all."

"Sakurai: (laughs) This time, during Cloud’s development, I didn’t have any instructions like “he needs to be like this, he can’t be like this.” That saved us a lot of trouble.

Nomura: I’m also working hard on a project that handles many characters, so I try not to give orders like that. I’m always fighting against those restrictions."

4:
"Interviewer: Would you like to make another game together in the future, or do another collaboration?

Sakurai: It seems like it would be difficult to decide who would have what role, though.

Nomura: If we were to work together, I think I’d leave most everything up to Mr. Sakurai. By the way, do you know what you’re working on after Smash ends?"

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/21/sakuraixnomuraparttwo/

Sorry for the long post I'll try to use spoilers to make it not take the entire page

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
The Square character will not be announced before release (that's not how Sakurai operates), and Vergeben only said that it could be DLC because of being pressured about the box theory. I don't even know if one of his sources would even know about DLC at this stage, because of how Nintendo negotiates DLC much later than other companies.

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
Hey there, I thought I'd come show some support for Geno. Whilst I've never played SMRPG, I have seen quite the bit of people supporting him wholeheartedly, and even a lot of you coming over to help support my most wanted, Isaac. I think it's better that we support each other and ourselves rather than be at each other's throats, like certain other places. I have seen the Project M mod, and i'd be all for a character like that. He looks really interesting to say the least. Wish you all the best with Geno, and I'll be hoping for both Isaac and Geno to make it in.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Hey there, I thought I'd come show some support for Geno. Whilst I've never played SMRPG, I have seen quite the bit of people supporting him wholeheartedly, and even a lot of you coming over to help support my most wanted, Isaac. I think it's better that we support each other and ourselves rather than be at each other's throats, like certain other places. I have seen the Project M mod, and i'd be all for a character like that. He looks really interesting to say the least. Wish you all the best with Geno, and I'll be hoping for both Isaac and Geno to make it in.
Thanks you! Your guy's support is always appreciated. your group's positivity is something truly to be admired. and honestly after reading about all the options for an Isaac moveset I was really impressed! Isaac really would bring something unique and special to smash and I really hope both the blue and golden boy can make it in together.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, i suppose it’s possible that Geno or some other character got chosen as the first DLC already, but that seems horribly out of character for Sakurai.

When we saw Mewtwo, the Wii U version had gone gold and the 3DS version had already been out for over a month, so the game was already complete by most standards.

Already choosing DLC seems fishy to me all around. If characters are known about, they’re in the base game. The whim GameAwards leak is specific, but plenty of other leaks have been specific before, and I just doubt that much thought has been given to that whole situation really. Especially a Dragon Quest 11 specific character.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I don't think Geno is going to be DLC. If the verge leak about ken and Incineroar holds true, it wont be a hype note at all for us to end on. Why save these 2 for very, very last? It makes no sense! Especially since we know we have K. Rool now, he should have been saved for last knowing all that we know now.
That's why I believe Geno won't be DLC, he will most likely be one of the last announcements and it will be incredibly hype AF!!!1! :b::bee:

Klimax

Smash Ace
In my opinion, a Dragon Quest newcomer is impossible for the base game. The franchise is popular, yeah, but they don't have an iconic character except Slime. LeakyPandy is just some guy who made a bet against loz18 (and in my opinion, betting against a playable Skull Kid was pretty easy), there's no reason to believe him. Skull Kid as a boss was something credible, but a Dragon Quest 11 rep in Smash Bros ? Not at all.

Not every newcomers is from the ballot, but hey, they still take very popular and iconic characters.
Also, Dragon Quest 11 came out in mid 2017 in Japan and just came out on American's PS4. The game's not even on the Switch.

This is not serious at all in my opinion. I'm still pretty sure that Geno is the Square Enix character and that we're getting him during the next Smash Direct.
In my opinion, there's only one leaker that we can trust and that is Vergeben. The rest is just fake.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
In my opinion, a Dragon Quest newcomer is impossible for the base game. The franchise is popular, yeah, but they don't have an iconic character except Slime. LeakyPandy is just some guy who made a bet against loz18 (and in my opinion, betting against a playable Skull Kid was pretty easy), there's no reason to believe him. Skull Kid as a boss was something credible, but a Dragon Quest 11 rep in Smash Bros ? Not at all.

Not every newcomers is from the ballot, but hey, they still take very popular and iconic characters.
Also, Dragon Quest 11 came out in mid 2017 in Japan and just came out on American's PS4. The game's not even on the Switch.

This is not serious at all in my opinion. I'm still pretty sure that Geno is the Square Enix character and that we're getting him during the next Smash Direct.
In my opinion, there's only one leaker that we can trust and that is Vergeben. The rest is just fake.
I still believe in playable Skull Kid.

4 newcomers Sun (Isaac), Moon (Skull Kid), Stars (Geno), and a Sun and Moon character (Incineroar). After that we get a reveal for the new Pokemon game Pokemon Stars.

It's all connected

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Part of me thinks that Verg isn't telling us who the SE character is because he wants it to be a surprise and doesn't want to be "That Guy©." It makes sense in how he coincidentally didn't know about K. Rool but I kinda think he did and wanted people to enjoy the surprise. What about Ridley then? Every fake leaker in existence had him on their list and, based on Sakurai's statements, most of us had very strong doubts, especially when his Smash 4 incarnation was even bigger than the one in Brawl. Same goes for Simon, especially with Snake being gone and Konami being a buttplug of a company for the past 5 years. If true, I respect him a lot more for it because, sappy as it sounds, I want the full emotional impact of Geno coming back after 22 years of waiting.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Part of me thinks that Verg isn't telling us who the SE character is because he wants it to be a surprise and doesn't want to be "That Guy©." It makes sense in how he coincidentally didn't know about K. Rool but I kinda think he did and wanted people to enjoy the surprise. What about Ridley then? Every fake leaker in existence had him on their list and, based on Sakurai's statements, most of us had very strong doubts, especially when his Smash 4 incarnation was even bigger than the one in Brawl. Same goes for Simon, especially with Snake being gone and Konami being a buttplug of a company for the past 5 years. If true, I respect him a lot more for it because, sappy as it sounds, I want the full emotional impact of Geno coming back after 22 years of waiting.
I hope so!

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I
I also wonder if people like Vergeben are provided leaked info on purpose to hype these games up. If so they might not get handed all the info so in between all the speculation there’s surprises for us.

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
DQ11 is a new game not on the switch and its popular not for memorable characters, but for the player to role play in the world. You could probably argue "but Cloud wasnt on a Nintendo title" but Cloud at least has a massive following behind him and is the face of final fantasy, which Dragon Quest doesn't have(with the exception of a Slime, whixh is pretty much on level with Moogles/Chocobos).

I cant see Sakurai putting a character in Smash that both has no mainstream or cult following while also not being on a Nintendo title.

Dragon Quest and Lara Croft have never even been brought up till now to discount Geno's inclusion too.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
DQ11 is a new game not on the switch and its popular not for memorable characters, but for the player to role play in the world. You could probably argue "but Cloud wasnt on a Nintendo title" but Cloud at least has a massive following behind him and is the face of final fantasy, which Dragon Quest doesn't have(with the exception of a Slime, whixh is pretty much on level with Moogles/Chocobos).

I cant see Sakurai putting a character in Smash that both has no mainstream or cult following while also not being on a Nintendo title.

Dragon Quest and Lara Croft have never even been brought up till now to discount Geno's inclusion too.
People are exhuasting every possible character that isn’t Geno in an attempt to compromise his chances of getting in. This however strengthens his chances, because every new character that is brought up is seen as less and less feasible the more you scrutnize them. The only posssible thing we could see happening IS Geno.
Remain optimistic Gebros!

domriver

Smash Lord
Your support is always appreciated. Thanks.

I have still have a hunch that Geno has nice role in the mysterious mode which also means he will be in base roster. I wouldn't be to upset if he was announced for DLC right away though. Geno will be in guys 1 way or another. Sure we want him base but DLC isn't bad at all either. But im betting he is one of the last reveals in the final direct. :)

EDIT1:
Seems another point for verge on his information. The collection for castlevania is true. I dont have the link on hand but.... Yeah. hmmm.
The Prophet is correct again.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
People are exhuasting every possible character that isn’t Geno in an attempt to compromise his chances of getting in. This however strengthens his chances, because every new character that is brought up is seen as less and less feasible the more you scrutnize them. The only posssible thing we could see happening IS Geno.
Remain optimistic Gebros!
To summarize:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" -Obi-Wan Genobi

-Coco-

Smash Ace

People really need to stop saying this. I understand that we all want Geno and I think he's far more likely but DQ absolutely has an iconic character outside of Slime. The misinformation in this thread when it comes to DQ is staggering. Loto is to DQ what Cloud is to FF. Sakurai's favorite DQ is 3 and his entire identity is core to DQ 11. Also 11 is most definitely known for its cast same with 8, 11 is on 3DS and it's the definitive version. And 11 has been confirmed coming to Switch for a long time now.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Same goes for Simon, especially with Snake being gone and Konami being a buttplug of a company for the past 5 years.
Liked just because that was the best description I've heard of Konami that didn't involve a tirade of cursing and spitting fire, yet still managed to insult them while being accurate.
EDIT1:
Seems another point for verge on his information. The collection for castlevania is true. I dont have the link on hand but.... Yeah. hmmm.
The Prophet is correct again.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...-night-rondo-of-blood-seemingly-coming-to-ps4

Woof, does that make him right on non-Smash stuff now? Verg, calm down brother, give the other leakers a chance! Still waiting for his Minecraft thing to pop-up true so that his entire original leak gets proven true to all the haters.
People really need to stop saying this. I understand that we all want Geno and I think he's far more likely but DQ absolutely has an iconic character outside of Slime.
Do they REALLY though? Like seriously, I don't recall a single mock-up of other polls during the Smash Ballot having a DQ character with a high amount of individual votes. DQ has next to no chance of making it in unless Sakurai pulls another left-field gimmick while simultaneously earning backlash from a third or more of the Ballot fanbase.

Side-note: Turns out my boy Goemon actually got a good number of votes in mock-up polls, makes me wish I voted for him in the Ballot.

Side-note v.2: Geno in Ultimate = Geno Amiibo, right? So how fast do you think Nintendo will run out of Geno amiibos? How long do you guys think it will take before you have to pay like $50-$100 for an amiibo of the world's second-most loved puppet? My bet is like a week (7 days).

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace

Do they REALLY though? Like seriously, I don't recall a single mock-up of other polls during the Smash Ballot having a DQ character with a high amount of individual votes. DQ has next to no chance of making it in unless Sakurai pulls another left-field gimmick while simultaneously earning backlash from a third or more of the Ballot fanbase.

Side-note: Turns out my boy Goemon actually got a good number of votes in mock-up polls, makes me wish I voted for him in the Ballot.
Yes they do. Anyone who knows the franchise remotely knows Loto is the secondary mascot. DQ is just historically niche in the west. I never see any DQ representation on the polls but itd be very foolish to think Japan didnt vote for him at all given how popular his game is over there. Again I don't think DQ is getting a rep but the people in here need to stop spreading misinformation.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Yes they do. Anyone who knows the franchise remotely knows Loto is the secondary mascot. DQ is just historically niche in the west. I never see any DQ representation on the polls but itd be very foolish to think Japan didnt vote for him at all given how popular his game is over there. Again I don't think DQ is getting a rep but the people in here need to stop spreading misinformation.
Ahh, right: Goku's long-lost cousin Loto who also somehow survived the destruction of Planet Vegeta.

Jokes aside, just the results of the SSB4Dojo mock-up alone shows that Japan pretty much wants a lot of the same characters we do, with some cute exceptions like Klonoa, Adeleine, and Captain Rainbow. I legit just looked up Captain Rainbow btw, and I kinda want him in now. Bless you, Japan. Never change.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! I've joined recently and of course I'm team Geno! I've liked him since I played Super Mario RPG on the SNES (15 years ago! omg), and wanted his inclusion in this all-star battle (not the PlayStation one, LOL) since Brawl.
I really hope our dreams can be true, as evidence supports his inclusion. Also that's the only character I'd really ask for (mainly because my other requests are quite weird: Earthworm Jim, Goemon, Kat&Ana, Athena Asamiya, Rocket Knight, Fulgore, Quote, Curly Brace...hahaha), so I'll put here all my support.
Long live Geno! *salutes*

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Hey guys, just poppin' in to wish you good luck on getting Geno. I haven't played Super Mario RPG (yet), but from what I've seen of Geno he seems like he'd be a great addition to Smash Bros. Hopefully you guys get your wish like the Ridley and K. Rool supporters did!

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys! I've joined recently and of course I'm team Geno! I've liked him since I played Super Mario RPG on the SNES (15 years ago! omg), and wanted his inclusion in this all-star battle (not the PlayStation one, LOL) since Brawl.
I really hope our dreams can be true, as evidence supports his inclusion. Also that's the only character I'd really ask for (mainly because my other requests are quite weird: Earthworm Jim, Goemon, Kat&Ana, Athena Asamiya, Rocket Knight, Fulgore, Quote, Curly Brace...hahaha), so I'll put here all my support.
Long live Geno! *salutes*
Not to diss your other choices, but I feel you already know the likelihood of them turning out to be true.

Though I have to say, I'm all for a random Goemon approaching, but only if his trailer seems so troll it seems fake and he breaks the fourth wall and has a laugh track. Also, apparently Cave Story was a big deal, what did I miss?

Also, welcome to the Geno Is Best Puppet Club!

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
People really need to stop saying this. I understand that we all want Geno and I think he's far more likely but DQ absolutely has an iconic character outside of Slime. The misinformation in this thread when it comes to DQ is staggering. Loto is to DQ what Cloud is to FF. Sakurai's favorite DQ is 3 and his entire identity is core to DQ 11. Also 11 is most definitely known for its cast same with 8, 11 is on 3DS and it's the definitive version. And 11 has been confirmed coming to Switch for a long time now.
I love Dragon Quest, but I'm not delusional. In the West, most of the people know Cloud and they think about it at the moment you say "Final Fantasy". Is this the same for Loto ? That's probably the case for Japan, but not for the West.
Also, we have some polls about which characters the Japanese want in the game and it seems that they want Geno more than any Dragon Quest rep.

No one is denying Dragon Quest popularity, especially in Japan. It's just that, when it comes to Smash, the most popular Square Enix character is just Geno.

Saying that Loto has no chance compared to Geno doesn't mean that we are denying Dragon Quest popularity. Saying that Crono has no chance compared to Geno doesn't mean that we're denying Chrono Trigger popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom