• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Actually, the Lloyd is the Lloyd from Mother 1.

Or Roy's cousin, who also uses a fire sword but wears glasses.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So I’m just gonna throw it out there that Sabi went to investigate the Tales stuff 7 hours ago and has yet to post any follow up. I don’t know how long getting info from their source usually takes, but I can definitely envision a scenario where they asked “Is it Lloyd?” and the response was “Yeah but don’t tell anyone or I’ll get murdered by Nintenjas”

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I was just thinking. I saw this post a month ago of a guy asking a Nintendo rep who the next DLC character is and he said Terry.

Plot twist: The next character is also named Terry. What other Terrys are there?

D

Deleted member

I was just thinking. I saw this post a month ago of a guy asking a Nintendo rep who the next DLC character is and he said Terry.

Plot twist: The next character is also named Terry. What other Terrys are there?
Terry Crews confirmed for Smash

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So I’m just gonna throw it out there that Sabi went to investigate the Tales stuff 7 hours ago and has yet to post any follow up. I don’t know how long getting info from their source usually takes, but I can definitely envision a scenario where they asked “Is it Lloyd?” and the response was “Yeah but don’t tell anyone or I’ll get murdered by Nintenjas”
They're probably trying to tell us right now, except the loud clacking of their keyboard keeps alerting the Nintenjas.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
They're probably trying to tell us right now, except the loud clacking of their keyboard keeps alerting the Nintenjas.
If my only contribution to this community is that people start saying “Nintenjas” then I did not live my life in vain

Dad left us, he went to get cigs and never came back.
hE dID NoT he’s investigating all the SECRET SUPER SMASH BROTHERS ChaRACTERS

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Will the Smash speculators find out who the next DLC character is? Find out on the next episode of The Smash Bros. Show!

Really, with all the interesting and crazy stuff going on recently, this could actually work as an anime, including leakers actually getting killed by Nintnenjas if they are found out.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Bruh didja read the first link? There’s a whole lot of Lloyd specific stuff in there (including the fact that Sakurai literally said Lloyd is the best character to represent the series)
Not this argument again...

I've read the link, and it even gets a lot of information messy.

The big thing is that the dude mentions that Sakurai says that Lloyd is the best character to represent the series, which is not true. All Sakurai stated was that Lloyd was a popular pick in the ballot, and that he felt that Lloyd was a good pick FOR A MII COSTUME. Sakurai NEVER stated that if Tales got an actual character it would have to be Lloyd specifically.

On top of this, need I remind you that this was a LONG, LONG TIME BEFORE Yuri's game was even on a Nintendo Console?

Yuri's game came out in early 2019 for all modern consoles, before that he was stuck on the Xbox 360 for an international release and PS3/X360 for a JP release. So Yuri pretty much had 0 Nintendo relevance which was a hard hit against his chances. The only thing he had going for him were his two appearances on the Project X Zone games; which were incredibly niche.

The only other good point that blueneuronDOTnet brought up was that Scott Menville, isn't really talking about Smash anymore. But that doesn't really matter as there are a dozen other reasons why he could have avoided talking about Smash, and I doubt Menville knew he would voice Lloyd in Smash Ultimate over a year before Lloyd's actual release.

Everything else works in both Lloyd and Yuri's favor.

I've talked about how popular Yuri is within the Tales fanbase plenty of times before (he's banned from his own official popularity polls), so I'm not going to bother with going through all that again. Lloyd on the other hand isn't nearly as popular.

So in the end, the only thing Lloyd has going for him against Yuri is that he is better known within the Smash fanbase. Even then, Smash demand has only gotten Banjo in so far, no one else.

I'm not denying Lloyd is a likely character, what I am saying is that Yuri is just as likely as Lloyd. Other then the Mii Fighter from almost 3.5 years ago, Lloyd has nothing going in his favor compared to Yuri.

It is up to Sakurai to decide between Lloyd (Smash popularity) and Yuri (general popularity).

Also Persona 5 used the phantom thieves logo as the main icon, and Cloud used the Final Fantasy 7 logo as the main icon. Yuri has MUCH more reason for the book to be his icon (assuming that is a Smash icon) compared to Lloyd. Why would Lloyd use the save symbol associated with Vesperia onwards, rather then something relevant to him?

I see them both as likely, which is why I refer to a potential Tales character as Yuri/Lloyd.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If y'all don't believe Vergeben is legit despite getting most of his Smash info right, getting some stuff right for other games, and Sabi trusting him, I don't know what to tell y'all.

Just because a leaker gets something wrong doesn't mean they're a liar, else we'd have forgotten about Sabi already with that whole Jonesy thing.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Not this argument again...

I've read the link, and it even gets a lot of information messy.

The big thing is that the dude mentions that Sakurai says that Lloyd is the best character to represent the series, which is not true. All Sakurai stated was that Lloyd was a popular pick in the ballot, and that he felt that Lloyd was a good pick FOR A MII COSTUME. Sakurai NEVER stated that if Tales got an actual character it would have to be Lloyd specifically.

On top of this, need I remind you that this was a LONG, LONG TIME BEFORE Yuri's game was even on a Nintendo Console?

Yuri's game came out in early 2019 for all modern consoles, before that he was stuck on the Xbox 360 for an international release and PS3/X360 for a JP release. So Yuri pretty much had 0 Nintendo relevance which was a hard hit against his chances. The only thing he had going for him were his two appearances on the Project X Zone games; which were incredibly niche.

The only other good point that blueneuronDOTnet brought up was that Scott Menville, isn't really talking about Smash anymore. But that doesn't really matter as there are a dozen other reasons why he could have avoided talking about Smash, and I doubt Menville knew he would voice Lloyd in Smash Ultimate over a year before Lloyd's actual release.

Everything else works in both Lloyd and Yuri's favor.

I've talked about how popular Yuri is within the Tales fanbase plenty of times before (he's banned from his own official popularity polls), so I'm not going to bother with going through all that again. Lloyd on the other hand isn't nearly as popular.

So in the end, the only thing Lloyd has going for him against Yuri is that he is better known within the Smash fanbase. Even then, Smash demand has only gotten Banjo in so far, no one else.

I'm not denying Lloyd is a likely character, what I am saying is that Yuri is just as likely as Lloyd. Other then the Mii Fighter from almost 3.5 years ago, Lloyd has nothing going in his favor compared to Yuri.

It is up to Sakurai to decide between Lloyd (Smash popularity) and Yuri (general popularity).

Also Persona 5 used the phantom thieves logo as the main icon, and Cloud used the Final Fantasy 7 logo as the main icon. Yuri has MUCH more reason for the book to be his icon (assuming that is a Smash icon) compared to Lloyd. Why would Lloyd use the save symbol associated with Vesperia onwards, rather then something relevant to him?

I see them both as likely, which is why I refer to a potential Tales character as Yuri/Lloyd.
You've brought up this argument before and tbh I think it's just the most trivial thing. Who cares if he was talking about a mii costume? Why would it be different for a character? He says it has to be Lloyd to represent tales. You act like it's this smoking gun that ruins that statement, but it really sounds like you're just in denial and grasping at straws to find some way for it to be Yuri instead of Lloyd.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I mean yeah probably but where’s the fun in that?
Fun is for losers, actually.
Wow okay. Fine. You want fun? I'll give you fun.

The date was November 27th 2019.. it was just a day after the great speculation massacre. Sabi had planned to meet his source that evening. On the way to their standard secure meeting spot, Sabi had the strange feeling he was being followed. But, he paid it no mind. Sabi and his source promised they wouldn't tell another living soul where this meeting spot was. Sabi gets to the location and waits on a nearby bench. Several hours have passed by this point and the sun is starting to set. The source still hasn't arrived. "That's strange. They are never this late." Sabi said to himself. He looks into the distance just to see a bunch of humanoid silhouettes jumping through the tree lines....

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Wow, okay, so I just got caught up after reading through quite a few pages.
Lloyd, cool, I guess. I vaguely remember him being in Super Smash Flash. We have anime swordsmen, but do we have anime dualswordsmen?! :shades:

I wonder if by the end of the DLC cycle for Smash Ultimate if we'll have enough individual characters with swords to fill an entire tournament with. ;)

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
If y'all don't believe Vergeben is legit despite getting most of his Smash info right, getting some stuff right for other games, and Sabi trusting him, I don't know what to tell y'all.

Just because a leaker gets something wrong doesn't mean they're a liar, else we'd have forgotten about Sabi already with that whole Jonesy thing.
And Maxwell. Don't forget Maxwell.

Sabi's current trend of bravely saying characters AREN'T going to be #5 should be damning but for some reason we need to humour them because ???

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

TBH I don't trust any leaks that mention Jonesy or Fortnite. I will accept any character. Even a Call of Duty character. Except for Fortnite. Hell no.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Hypothetically speaking, if FP5 is miraculously Monokuma, and all of the characters that were rumored (Lloyd, Ryu Hayabusa, Dante, Doom Slayer, Crash, ect) end up being post pass, I might have a heart attack of hype.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hypothetically speaking, if FP5 is miraculously Monokuma, and all of the characters that were rumored (Lloyd, Ryu Hayabusa, Dante, Doom Slayer, Crash, ect) end up being post pass, I might have a heart attack of hype.
Don't do that. Don't give me hope. Half of that list has my top most wanted. That would be so dam awesome. I need that Scrum Debate music.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Let's dissect this, piece by piece.

3: How do you know this? Like Cats pointed out, we literally just got Banjo this pass. And still complaining about the Nov Direct won't mean anything. It's been a year, give it up already. Like I said before, it's like complaining about Dark Pit and Lucina. I think Sakurai's made some weird choices this game but I don't endlessly complain about it.
Yes, Banjo got in, but just because we got that one character doesn't mean that fan request is still on the top priority. There may be some consideration to it, but not the same amount as it use to be back in E3 2018 to November of that year.
The order of characters that we got were Incineroar> Plant> Joker> Hero> Banjo> Terry Bogard. So out of the six fighters that were announced since the Final Smash Direct we got one requested fighter. Base Game Smash Bros is answering as much fan requests and DLC is all about going in a different direction where fan requests wasn't going to hold as much weight as it use to.

4: Yes, Hero and Terry ARE in fact fan requests. Erdrick's thread on here was fairly popular. Erdrick had fans going back to the Brawl days. People have wanted a Dragon Quest rep for a while now, like it or not.
Terry also had a thread on here that was fairly active, mind you it was still a relatively small thread but it showed that Terry had genuine fans.
Like I said before, just because YOU don't want the character, doesn't mean others don't. People wanted Erdrick, and they got him with Hero. They also wanted Eight, and they got him with Hero.
If you look hard enough you will find a request for every character in existence. I'm sure people wanted Piranha Plant all the way back in Melee at some point. So I guess that means every character is a fan requested character because there's always going to be few people out there wanting that character.
5: That didn't answer my question. Yes, anyone can get in. But the way you handle someone with legitimate chances is that you shut them down because YOU didn't get your most wanted. So obviously "anyone" can't get in.
So be more specific: Who do you think has a good shot?
I ain't shutting a character down because I don't like them, I shut down leak characters that's been going around. I wanted Dante but I sure wasn't going to believe that leak. You're not ever going to get an answer from me on who I think has a good shot. There are hundreds out of third party characters out there and we've been getting curve balls. People thought that Resident Evil was the most likely Capcom franchise to be given a playable fighter, and now they're Spirits. Who bloody knows what character has a legitimate chance of getting in? Who knows what's on characters and franchise are on Sakurai's & Nintendo's radar. If they ain't a Mii Costume, Assist Trophy or a Spirit then they have a good chance. When Joker was revealed I give up guess on what character was getting in. Hell, I guess that we were going to get a fighting game character revealed at EVO for a long time and turned out that I was an entire month off. There's no predicting Smash Bros now.
6: DQ was a bandwagon to memers. The same people who backed Gordon just recently. Same thing happened with Minecraft and Steveposters.
HOWEVER. this doesn't mean that Hero was a bandwagon pick, only discussed after leaks. Like I said before, this doesn't mean that "barely anyone talked about Dragon Quest getting into Smash until Brave was datamined", this is a bogus statement and you know it.
People have talked about DQ and Terry getting into Smash LONG before leaks ever happened.

This is solid proof that DQ had presence since the Brawl days:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-hero-of-dragon-quest-iii-erdrick-joins-the-battle.455758/
Look at the date this was made. January 2008. I remember Teeb even showing up in this thread and the Seven Squares thread as well. They STILL supported Erdrick after all these years.

This is also solid proof of Terry not being a bandwagon pick.
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...gard-thread-now-with-a-discord-server.455179/
Look at the date this was made. June 2018.

They were NOT discussed recently like you claim they were. Memers bandwagoned behind those characters, but there were genuine fandoms behind those characters.
I chose the term "barely anyone talked" as a way to say that there may have been some conversations about those characters but not to the extent of other characters that were talked about when it came to speculations. I wasn't saying that nobody ever talked about Hero or Terry, just not that many people talking about those two before hand when compare to how other characters are talked about.

Last point. You obviously don't think Geno is happening, so why are you still here then? You're as bad as the randoms that come in here from places like GameFAQs and tell us our character is never happening, then leave instantly.
I've been here since March, back when I was naive and thought that Geno had a legitimate, and every other board is basically dead. This is the only board that brings up random leaks and that Sabi & other insiders responds to from what I can tell. I want Geno, but now I've came to terms that he just ain't going to happen. Love to be wrong, but it seems like this will be the only thing I'm going to be right about.

Droodle

Smash Lord
You've brought up this argument before and tbh I think it's just the most trivial thing. Who cares if he was talking about a mii costume? Why would it be different for a character? He says it has to be Lloyd to represent tales. You act like it's this smoking gun that ruins that statement, but it really sounds like you're just in denial and grasping at straws to find some way for it to be Yuri instead of Lloyd.
Even if you think it's trivial, it really isn't. Sakurai stated Lloyd was a good pick for a Mii Costume and nothing more, don't try to read into it. On top of that, Tales was literally mentioned in two sentences in this entire interview, and other then this Sakurai has literally never talked about the series (that I could find). EVEN on top of that, when have Sakurai's interviews ever been indicative of anything getting into Smash 100%? (Ridley too big for Smash).

On top of this all my other arguments still stand beyond that:
-Sakurai stated the Lloyd stuff before Yuri had any games (outside Project X Zone) on a Nintendo Console.
-Outside of Smash, Yuri is still the most popular Tales character (usually the most popular 3rd party characters of a series get represented in Smash as a character), he earns Bamco a lot more money then Lloyd. Fujoshi's would literally buy out all the Yuri merchandise created from Smash.
-Tales of Vesperia: DE released on the Switch in 2019, making Yuri more relevant compared to any other Tales protagonist at this time.
-Nintendo is actually picking the DLC and not Sakurai, and Vesperia makes more sense to advertise from a money-making perspective compared to Symphonia for both Bandai-Namco and Nintendo (Unless Symphonia HD gets ported to all modern consoles again.)
-So far the only DLC character that got in due to fan-demand is Banjo.
-The book icon (assuming it's for Smash) is linked to Yuri not Lloyd. You don't see Joker come with Persona 4 TVs as his icon, and you see Cloud come with the FF7 icon.

So when people are only able to defend Lloyd 100% getting in over Yuri through two sentences Sakurai said 3.5 years ago, you could say I'm a bit skeptical about that.

Also lol at me trying to really grasp at straws to come up with an argument for Yuri getting in. I always say Lloyd/Yuri because I'm 50/50 on their chances and they both have good reason to get in. I just get annoyed at people who let their biases ruin speculation.

Try coming up with an argument for why Lloyd is DEFINITIVELY getting in over Yuri, and don't use the interview as anything definitive please. Because outside of the interview (2 sentences), all I can use to defend Lloyd's position is that a small group of Smash fans want Lloyd in more vocally then Yuri.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Whoa, hold on, can somebody sum up 1830-40 for me, please. That is a huge jump in less than 12 hours. Something big happen?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom