• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Terry strikes me as one of those characters added over general popularity rather than Smash fandom. Plus SNK is huge in Latin America, which is a market Smash has never really tapped before.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Terry strikes me as one of those characters added over general popularity rather than Smash fandom. Plus SNK is huge in Latin America, which is a market Smash has never really tapped before.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._american_nintendo_website_smash_bros_switch/

With the exception of Goku topping the charts (which makes sense because DBZ is a cultural phenomenon in Latin America) they really aren't looking for anything too different from the rest of the world

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Most of this isn't even worth responding to because you didn't address his Smash demand and instead focused on his popularity in general, which I never denied.

Also lol at you thinking that I didn't know who Terry was until August, or that I never played KoF. That was maybe the most condescending thing I've ever read on here.

Terry Bogard was never historically a popular character (unless you count fringe top 100 or something, which I do not) within the context of people asking for him in Smash Bros. That's not me being ignorant, that is fact. Go ahead and formulate a response about how people bought SNK games on Switch though. Has nothing to do with how many people asked for him to be in Smash Bros
You know what, that's fair. I didn't really address that because I wasn't acting as if he had a lot of Smash fan base support.

I was saying that doesn't matter.

Those of us who spend every day talking about how we hope our character gets into Smash on a forum aren't the only ones who matter.

Also there is no way for me to quantify your intelligence or personal experience and if you felt insulted that's on you. I was simply using statement that I saw that I didn't agree with and offer an essay in response as I normally do.

I believe other than mentioning the FGC community, that about covers it all.

Terry is the poster boy for both the game that started SNK getting big and that face of their biggest franchise as well as the poster boy for the game that caused Smash to even begins the development of existing. That's all that really matters. Terry is a worthy pick indeed.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Ahh, maybe I'm starting to see what that 'Smash Bubble' that EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman was talking about.

See, it doesn't matter if a character is #1 most requested or #1,377 most requested, as long as the demand is there the possibility is there.

Just because a fan base isn't vocal in every poll on every social media site doesn't mean they don't want their character and that their wishes aren't being heard.

Terry is like Joker, but far more iconic: Joker was requested for Smash but Joker fans thought it was ridiculous so they never said anything past a certain point and since people convinced them of so, they went silent. Suddenly, the protagonist of the most popular JRPG in recent years makes it to Smash. Terry is the face of a fighting game franchise that rivals Street Fighter in terms of existence and appeal. There was a time where Terry was just as iconic as Ryu, if not MORE so (hell, they had not one but TWO crossovers!), but then business things happened and the games stopped for a while. However, the love for the characters and the games didn't die out fully, and now they are back and seeing lots of success...enough to bring back another old title to the modern age and support it for an extended period while also getting a guest character in another big fighting game.

Terry is big...but not to the average Smash fan. That's not Terry or SNK's fault though: a bunch of SNK games dropped on the Switch and they sold extremely well. If you are a Smash fan, and you DON'T know about Terry, you are either young or...I'm sorry to say, but you may have limited horizons on video games. There is a reason why the Smash community and the FGC are still so far apart even now, and one of the reasons is that Smash fans live in this 'Smash Bubble' where if it isn't on their radar and what they think should happen or is likely, they don't know about it. There are SO many Smash pros that do not play any other game competitively and sometimes they don't play other games.

Just because YOU don't know Terry or didn't ask for him, and just because a good chunk of the Smash fan base didn't ask for him doesn't mean those who love Smash as casual romp once and again but are big into other games didn't want him. That is the alley Joker and Terry waltz in from. Hell, in some ways, that where Hero waltz in from. The only character thus far in the FP that was heavily demanded by SPECIFICALLY the Smash fan base was B&K.

So first off, it's not all about you or your group. Other people like Smash, even if it's not the most important thing to them, and that have character wishes too. Just because they don't voice their opinions about their character until there are well over 1000 pages on a website with many of them filled with nothing related to the character because everything that can be said about them has been said...doesn't mean they don't exist.

If I have to, and believe me I already WANT to, I will post here the giant Twitter chain that pointed out how relevant Terry Bogard is to gaming as well as reaction videos to his inclusion where people got hype as **** AND I will bring in Maximillian's Legacy series with which he is currently playing through all the big name games that Terry was in. There is someone in the comments in those videos going crazy deep into the lore of the games and sharing them with his audience and I may even quote those and share them as well.

It may not be a big deal to you, but there is a whole portion of a continent that lost their collective **** as well as a Western fan base who loves ALL fighting games and not just one. Frankly speaking, you all are the ones missing out. I would encourage you to play some KoF, Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting just like I would encourage people who don't understand my love for Geno to play SMRPG. Put someone else's controller in your hands, see what it's like.

I suppose I should say this has been my Ted Talk right about here, but I don't get the meme so idk.

EDIT: As a last-second edition, keep in mind that Smash is also about iconic picks. Not everyone wanted Snake or Sonic and Megaman was equally matched on those who wanted him and those who thought he was dead and should be forgotten.

Terry is iconic. He is easily the second face of fighting games. Anyone who played multiple fighting games growing up knows about him even if they didn't play his games all that much. Where it not for the business issues, SNK would still be rivaling Capcom and SF and frankly they are again considering how stale SF has gotten.

Terry is an icon. That means he's a piece of gaming history. That alone makes him worthy of a Smash pick. Remember that fan demand isn't the only factor.
Your Joker comparison is way, way off for one particular reason: Impossibility. Most people considered Joker as far more of a “Playstation character” even with his appearance on 3DS, and that made his perceived chances incredibly unlikely.

Terry, on the other hand, had basically nothing stopping him from getting in other than his relative obscurity. Calling him the “second face of fighting games” is kind of absurd when Scorpion exists, and even past that it’s arguable that other characters like Mishima or even Kyo are more known these days.

I’ve mentioned this comparison before, but if Terry was such an iconic, popular pick, then... why was his announcement absolutely dwarfed in hype by a seventy-five cent costume of a skeleton?

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I’ve mentioned this comparison before, but if Terry was such an iconic, popular pick, then... why was his announcement absolutely dwarfed in hype by a seventy-five cent costume of a skeleton?
It really is night and day. Look at the view counts.
1571862843888.png

1571862849430.png

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, to be fair, I think the Sans Mii costume would have eclipsed almost any other character reveal. It's friggin' Sans.

EDIT: and Megalovania

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
View attachment 243235
View attachment 243236
Yeah, people can say all they want about "General popularity" vs the Smash Bubble but objective metrics like view counts speak for themselves.

Also a cool Geno-related thing popular YouTuber The Completionist just released his Top 10 most wanted Smash characters

Our boy got number 2 (Geno's his personal number one but he put Crash at number one because it'd be an overall bigger deal).

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Your Joker comparison is way, way off for one particular reason: Impossibility. Most people considered Joker as far more of a “Playstation character” even with his appearance on 3DS, and that made his perceived chances incredibly unlikely.

Terry, on the other hand, had basically nothing stopping him from getting in other than his relative obscurity. Calling him the “second face of fighting games” is kind of absurd when Scorpion exists, and even past that it’s arguable that other characters like Mishima or even Kyo are more known these days.

You right on that, I keep forgetting Joker was kind of an exclusive due to Persona being mainly a PS thing. I've never played a single SMT or Persona game but damn I really should get Persona 5 as the music and general art direction is my cup of tea.

As far as Terry not blowing up...well I think it's been explained. Terry isn't popular in recent years as much as he was in the past. It's only very recent that SNK is back in the FGC sphere with KoF14 and now Samurai Showdown. Also, Smash fans don't play much for fighting games outside of Smash and Nintendo fans don't branch out from Nintendo games too much...so there's that.

Nearly any character would have been dwarfed by the Sans outfit, let's be real here. If Geno had been announced instead of Terry, Sans would still be the buzzword way over Geno. Sans it current internet culture while Terry has faded away and only recently begun his return to glory. Sans is not only a meme but a popular character for a insanely popular indie game that still has some relevance currently.

Just be glad Geno wasn't released with Sans costume. Be glad...

Geno is a worthy pick indeed.
I agree.

Has someone already done Geno on Thanos for 'I am...inevitable.' or did I just make up something great?

Hey, who did the crab Geno thing? We need 'Thenos' right naow!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Terry's probably coming early November if I had to guess. Terry one week, Pokemon the next. Things have been so bone dry that I'm not expecting a full on Direct until January at the earliest. Despite a ton of leaks, GameFreak doesn't really seem to care so I'm not expecting a final Pokemon presentation like I used to. Best case scenario is that we get a Smash Direct in December to announce 5 and 6 but there's nothing right now to suggest that's going to happen.
Bone dry? Look, I am not saying an Nintendo Direct will happen in November, but what about any possible nee games they have to reveal that they haven't before? Would they include those in the next Direct, if it happens before the end of the year?

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I’m frankly glad that Nintendo’s not focusing on demand within the Smash fandom. I’m happy to see big requests get answered now and again but if that’s all we got it would be boring. I couldn’t care less what brings the most “hype” to the Smash community.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Because memes and shock factor.

That's literally the only reason.

The same thing would have happened if Sans was released along side ANY DLC character. Hell, in some ways he overshadowed BANJO when it happened.

In fact, I'd say well over half the cast, DLC or otherwise, would be overshadowed by him were they to be announced in this day and age along side him.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
You right on that, I keep forgetting Joker was kind of an exclusive due to Persona being mainly a PS thing. I've never played a single SMT or Persona game but damn I really should get Persona 5 as the music and general art direction is my cup of tea.

As far as Terry not blowing up...well I think it's been explained. Terry isn't popular in recent years as much as he was in the past. It's only very recent that SNK is back in the FGC sphere with KoF14 and now Samurai Showdown. Also, Smash fans don't play much for fighting games outside of Smash and Nintendo fans don't branch out from Nintendo games too much...so there's that.

Nearly any character would have been dwarfed by the Sans outfit, let's be real here. If Geno had been announced instead of Terry, Sans would still be the buzzword way over Geno. Sans it current internet culture while Terry has faded away and only recently begun his return to glory. Sans is not only a meme but a popular character for a insanely popular indie game that still has some relevance currently.

Just be glad Geno wasn't released with Sans costume. Be glad...

I agree.

Has someone already done Geno on Thanos for 'I am...inevitable.' or did I just make up something great?

I support this. Give us Genos...wai-

wynn728 wynn728 , that's what I see when he mentioned him the past two games. Please don't resort to pr, either, because Sakurai does shoot characters down and it's not because of that. (I know 4th party but still)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, Sakurai has support for Geno, so...
He hasn't put his money where his mouth is, that's for sure. The support that puts the character in the game is worth infinitely more than the support of saying the equivalence of "yeah I like him" in a random interview. As it stands clearly Sakurai loves every character who isn't Geno that is in the game more than he loves Geno, and he never said a word about more than half of them.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I’m frankly glad that Nintendo’s not focusing on demand within the Smash fandom. I’m happy to see big requests get answered now and again but if that’s all we got it would be boring. I couldn’t care less what brings the most “hype” to the Smash community.
Yes I like it when companies show contempt for their fans too. Especially the ones that will still be playing their game and buying all the DLC for the entire lifespan of the game. Those are the ones you don't want to please

Far more important to satisfy the whims of a guy who's never owned a Nintendo console in his entire life so he can recognize one playstation character while playing Smash at a friend's house. Nintendo needs to spend a lot of money to make sure he says "oh neat" and never thinks about it again

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
You probably say that because you don't have any other characters that you would really want to see so you're content with whatever happens.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Also there is no way for me to quantify your intelligence or personal experience and if you felt insulted that's on you. I was simply using statement that I saw that I didn't agree with and offer an essay in response as I normally do.
Oh come on. You put me in the "Smash Bubble", insinuated I didn't know about Terry or didn't play any of his games, and said i was either young (i'm 27) or have limited video game horizons all because I stated that people weren't clamoring for Terry to join Smash Bros.

All I did was point out that I think Geno is going to happen but added that I'm well aware that he could be passed over for someone such as Terry who is objectively much less popular within the context of demand to be added to Smash. Everyone proceeded to jump on me and assume I was either saying he was a bad choice or undeserving, and then assuming I didn't know who he is. I was stating a fact at face value. I will never say that Terry doesn't deserve to be in smash.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
this is honestly one of the saddest things I've seen in my life.
I dunno, the crowd looks pretty happy to me, in both videos. :ultpacman:
That was me, and while I'd love to do a Thano edit, I honestly don't think my fragile human body would be able to withstand all the dank energies that would be required to produce something of that magnitude.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I dunno, the crowd looks pretty happy to me, in both videos. :ultpacman:

That was me, and while I'd love to do a Thano edit, I honestly don't think my fragile human body would be able to withstand all the dank energies that would be required to produce something of that magnitude.
You should attempt it anyways. The hardest choices require the strongest wills, afterall.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
got it (cropping on it is awful, i know)
g-g-g-g-g-geno.png
I have like 10 more OC Geno memes, some for if he gets in and some if he doesn't.

Gold Lannister

Smash Cadet
Well, the popularity of terry is dropping every day here in Brazil as arcades become increasingly obsolete.
The best known fighting game here is by far Mortal Kombat, followed by Street Fighter and Tekken.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I support this. Give us Genos...wai-

wynn728 wynn728 , that's what I see when he mentioned him the past two games. Please don't resort to pr, either, because Sakurai does shoot characters down and it's not because of that. (I know 4th party but still)
I know Sakurai keeps saying he likes Geno, but we also see that Geno isn't going to be the Fifth DLC Fighter. I believe that Sakurai really cares about Geno when he actually makes Geno playable, because it's so much easier to say "I hear you want him and I want him too," then following through with it.

Firox

Smash Master
I think "refreshing" would be a more apt term, really.
Yeah, I think that's probably more accurate. Regardless, and like I've said before, when other fan groups (or even straight-up Geno antagonists) admit his chances are good, that's a really great sign. It's a heck of a lot better than some troll dropping in just to drop a huge duke and then run off.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, I think that's probably more accurate. Regardless, and like I've said before, when other fan groups (or even straight-up Geno antagonists) admit his chances are good, that's a really great sign. It's a heck of a lot better than some troll dropping in just to drop a huge duke and then run off.
Yeah, I'd really rather not gatekeep those kind of people. As long as no one is popping in to be a troll and stir drama, I have no issues. To the non-trolls, I just say, well... welcome to our crazy corner of the internet! I hope you like star bits, because we have a lot of 'em. We have some pie, too. You want some pie? What's your favorite? We're dying to know!

I concur. I don't see it as contempt towards the fans, but more trying to keep things fresh while also dropping fan wants at the right time. If we were just chopped liver, we wouldn't have gotten Banjo and Kazooie. Besides, that desire to seek new and interesting additions that people didn't think of gave us some cool stuff to work with. Hero is awesome, Joker made me happy (insanely so after I went through P5 and came to ADORE him as a character — I love Persona, but at the time, I hadn't gone through 5), and... well, I already liked Terry before Smash, so I'm biased rofl.

My judgment is likely very muddled, though, given my only remaining most wanted is Geno. After he gets his time in the sun, I really won't have more to ask for, and I'll just... be hype for whatever else happens. :drflip:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Yes I like it when companies show contempt for their fans too. Especially the ones that will still be playing their game and buying all the DLC for the entire lifespan of the game. Those are the ones you don't want to please
"I'm glad answering fan requests isn't the focus" ≠ "I don't want them to please the fans." I literally said that I'm happy to see them answering fan requests now and then(which they will almost certainly continue to do, and with any luck Geno will be one of them). But please excuse me for not putting characters on a pedestal just because the incestuous circlejerk that is the online Smash community has been asking for them. Suggestions by fans are, at the end of the day, nothing more than data, and I don't think satisfying them by specifically using their suggestions is paramount. I also don't enjoy the pissing contest of who gets their wishes answered by daddy Sakurai that comes with this mindset.

All of the fighters we've gotten as DLC so far have enriched Smash as a crossover game, IMO. Clearly not everyone feels the same way, but I think you're underestimating the value these left-field picks bring.
You probably say that because you don't have any other characters that you would really want to see so you're content with whatever happens.
You probably say that because you don't know me.

Okay, granted, it's true that I'm content with just about whatever happens, but there are plenty of characters I really want, it's just that my enjoyment of the game isn't contingent on whether or not they get in.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The important takeaway that some people don't understand is:

A) A silent opinion, no matter how large, is worthless.
This is a really dumb stance to take as a business. You're actively looking to increase customer engagement with the less vocal consumers and also attract new consumers. Looking to the silent opinion is kind of a major part of business and it's goal #1 to keep expanding your reach. You can't do that by just listening to the same vocal people who already buy your stuff. You can't completely forget about them and their input, but you do actively look to new areas.

Silent opinions are something people should be aware of at basically all times too. There's more power in the unheard public opinion then you think, and it can absolutely surprise you and overwhelm you if the right moment strikes.

Surprise surprise, people want to see the reactions to a completely unexpected out of nowhere, near absurd inclusion than a leaked beforehand character trailer that probably doesn't resonate with the "Nintendo Direct reactions" crowd to begin with.

Far more important to satisfy the whims of a guy who's never owned a Nintendo console in his entire life so he can recognize one playstation character while playing Smash at a friend's house. Nintendo needs to spend a lot of money to make sure he says "oh neat" and never thinks about it again
They aren't showing contempt for you, they're including other options people like. Something not for you is not some slight against you or the people who voted on the ballot.

And yeah? That one dude, if he buys a brand new Switch and ends up buying more Nintendo stuff, is worth a hell of a lot more than you just buying DLC characters to Nintendo and their business. Most people won't actually put their money where their mouth is in "protest" to who is being included in Smash, and will buy them anyway, and a seemingly majority of people are pretty happy with the recent third party focus, so Nintendo just doesn't have a reason to look upon what they're doing with any sort of negative evaluation. Like this would be more of a point if people were wholly unsatisfied with the inclusions, but the evidence points to quite the contrary.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about this 'Smash Bubble' as its coming off as an insult. 'Oh, you're just in a Smash Bubble. You aren't aware to what actual people want.'

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Also it is kind of getting annoying when most of the fan requested characters have been relegated to Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes, and Spirits while characters that people have been really quite about are getting in. I've been saying for a long time that Sakurai must've hated that Ballot if he's not willing to put in that many requested characters in Ultimate anymore.
God just give it a rest for once. It is basically every other day you say the same schtick about "oh I guess Sakurai doesn't care anymore," or "Sakurai hates the ballot," or whatever comment you have.

Let's see, because of the Smash ballot we have every single character in Smash history returning, Ridley, the Belmonts, Dark Samus, Chrom, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Banjo & Kazooie, probably Geno, and maybe even more. Just because Sakurai isn't making every single DLC fighter a "ballot choice" doesn't mean he hates the ballot now/doesn't care. But I know, it is absolutely POINTLESS to ever change your mind on this. You want to continue to revel in your own self-pity and contempt for certain characters being Assist Trophies and Spirits. Yep, Piranha Plant is a character, get over it. You literally accused Slime Scholar for something he didn't do just so it could fit your previous argument. This continuous argument is so ****ing tiring. Sakurai worked his ass off, and clearly cares about the fans. I agree with the things Ovaltine and others said, I am GLAD they don't always pick high fan requests. ESPECIALLY when there are people like you. That is the only time I don't want a character someone wants: when they're entitled and constantly spewing how the developers have contempt towards them for not picking certain characters. What YOU don't seem to understand is that it ISN'T contempt towards fans. But you can't get that, and it is evident by your constant spewing of this same old garbage.

I have said before that I am not saying you can't criticize Sakurai, but you just constantly spew this same played out argument that is clearly false. But because you take characters as Assist Trophies/Spirits as the developers having contempt towards fans and/or not caring, you perpetuate this idiotic mindset. If you or anyone else thinks this is "toxic" or "too harsh," I have no idea what kind of behavior wynn is displaying then. People get annoyed when there are spammers and people get off topic, well I'm tired of this stupid passive-aggressive argument constantly being spewed. But I know that this will likely be brought up again and wynn will continue to spew it.

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
God just give it a rest for once. It is basically every other day you say the same schtick about "oh I guess Sakurai doesn't care anymore," or "Sakurai hates the ballot," or whatever comment you have.

Let's see, because of the Smash ballot we have every single character in Smash history returning, Ridley, the Belmonts, Dark Samus, Chrom, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Banjo & Kazooie, probably Geno, and maybe even more. Just because Sakurai isn't making every single DLC fighter a "ballot choice" doesn't mean he hates the ballot now/doesn't care. But I know, it is absolutely POINTLESS to ever change your mind on this. You want to continue to revel in your own self-pity and contempt for certain characters being Assist Trophies and Spirits. Yep, Piranha Plant is a chatacter, get over it. You literally accused Slime Scholar for something he didn't do just so it could fit your previous argument. This continuous argument is so ****ing tiring. Sakurai worked his *** off, and clearly cares about the fans. I agree with the things Ovaltine and others said, I am GLAD they don't always pick high fan requests. What YOU don't seem to understand is that it ISN'T contempt towards fans. But you can't get that, and it is evident by your constant spewing of this same old garbage.

I have said before that I am not saying you can't criticize Sakurai, but you just constantly spew this same played out argument that is clearly false. But because you take characters as Assist Trophies/Spirits as the developers having contempt towards fans and/or not caring, you perpetuate the idiotic mindset. If you or anyone else thinks this is "toxic" or "too harsh," I have no idea what kind of behavior wynn is displaying then. People get annoyed when there are spammers and people get off topic, well I'm tired of this stupid passive-aggressive argument constantly being spewed.

Ya your right let’s get back on topic. Geno chances are looking good babyyyyyyy. Oh and the wrym stuff as well I guess lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom