• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Mariuigi

Smash Rookie
So I guess that means the best time to campaign for a character's inclusion in Smash is between games.

Also, was DLC for Smash 4 ever officially confirmed? Because this article talks about it like it's a thing yet I've been told it wasn't; I'm confused. :/
There's a a leak (The Sal Romano leak, that has a lot going for it) that has recently said that Character DLC is planned, but it's never been officially confirmed as far as I know.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
There's a a leak (The Sal Romano leak, that has a lot going for it) that has recently said that Character DLC is planned, but it's never been officially confirmed as far as I know.
This, he mentioned DLC just before E3. Other than him, the last real quote we have is when Sakurai wasn't looking into it a year ago

Staarih

Smash Master
Woah, this thread has been quiet for way too long now!

Anyway, seeing Rayman's trophy today, I immediately had mixed feelings about it and how it could relate to Geno. The good thing is, it seems that some 3rd parties may have representation outside of being playable characters, so we may get a Geno trophy at least if nothing else (or maybe even Assist Trophy). The bad thing in this, of course, is that he might not be playable. But honestly, I think I'd take ANY piece of Geno I can get, so hopefully he gets at least a trophy. A HD model of him would make me super happy.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
I would be content with him just getting mentioned in some capacity at this point (Trophy, AT, Playable, etc.). He's been MIA for far too long.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I'd take a mention for Geno as well. He needs to be in the game in some sort of fashion. I wish he would be a playable character, and now that the Gematsu Leak took a hit, I can't help but get my hopes up.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Well, before yesterday I'd say a Geno trophy was more likely than a Rayman one.

Poor Ubisoft, they gave the models with as much work as they did cause they knew playable rayman in smash would sell their games like crazy, and they just got a trophy. A cool looking one at least.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Well, before yesterday I'd say a Geno trophy was more likely than a Rayman one.

Poor Ubisoft, they gave the models with as much work as they did cause they knew playable rayman in smash would sell their games like crazy, and they just got a trophy. A cool looking one at least.
That's what happens when you shaft the company you promised exclusivity on (Legends) and have continued to screw over (Watch_Dogs).

I hope something like this doesn't happen to Geno, but then again that would require Square to actually model him.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I actually found the Rayman trophy to be far more exciting than the Robin/Lucina reveal because of it's implications! Also, since the Gematsu Leak seems less trustworthy, my hope for Geno has returned! But yeah, I'd settle for a Geno trophy at the very least. It would be so cool to see a new, 3D model of him, created by the Smash team.

Also hi Geno fans! Keep up the good work! I noticed a video I made is in the original post, cool ;D

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Geno's chances are better then ever.

His popularity was probably still relatively high when the roster was finalized.
Gematsu isn't credible, so the specific characters aren't guaranteed as only new comers left.
Rayman getting a trophy means third parties have been interacting with Nintendo for Smash.
Square is a Japanese based company that may have a better working relationship to obtain Geno.

I don't know, anything can happen, his inclusion would reignite the dead souls who have given up on him, and he would go back to being one of the most highly requested characters/ wanted characters.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I am so excited I don't know what to do with myself.

And if Geno isn't in, I hope we get some sort of nod to the game. A theme from Mario RPG, or something. The smallest little taste of nostalgia from my favorite game is enough for me.

Also, I made this a few days before the Lucina/Robin reveal :'D

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I still hope and dream he gets in but I'll gladly take a trophy. Just means that Sakurai and Square are actually talking with one another rather than let it get to our heads about why nothing has come up. With the big push from Brawl, I'm still slightly amazed there still isn't anything SMRPG related for this game.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I still hope and dream he gets in but I'll gladly take a trophy. Just means that Sakurai and Square are actually talking with one another rather than let it get to our heads about why nothing has come up. With the big push from Brawl, I'm still slightly amazed there still isn't anything SMRPG related for this game.
I think that with Rayman as a trophy and no known Ubisoft rep that this is an extremely viable possibility

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
The Rayman trophy also had me thinking about Geno. Makes me think Sakurai is going through other companies to get rights. I hope some Mario RPG song could be in at the very least.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Add me to the supporter list. Geno was one of my favorite characters in Mario RPG!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
While yes I do definitely support Geno, but I don't think he should get in over the likes of Ridley or K Rool. Metroid and DK are so vastly underrepresented, whereas Mario's fairly well repped.

This makes me hypocritical as I'm not counting Paper Mario as part of the Mario franchise as much as it's own RPG flavor thing, which Geno would also possibly be a part of

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
While yes I do definitely support Geno, but I don't think he should get in over the likes of Ridley or K Rool. Metroid and DK are so vastly underrepresented, whereas Mario's fairly well repped.

This makes me hypocritical as I'm not counting Paper Mario as part of the Mario franchise as much as it's own RPG flavor thing, which Geno would also possibly be a part of
I'm in the same mind of thinking when it comes to Mario RPGs. I believe a Mario RPG character should be in as a nod to those games. Though I think Geno could do better than Paper Mario, but that is probably more of my personal bias for Geno. I liked the early Paper Mario games, but Geno is such a unique character.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping that they give the Retro/Obscure slot to Geno. The Mario RPGs have been vastly underrepresented in Smash, despite being a big series/set of series. I think the only reference to any of them in game comes from Peach's frying pan attack.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Yeah, I think K. Rool and Ridley will get in before Geno as well, but hopefully Smash4 exceeds expectations!

Also, add me too the supporter list too please :D

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, I think K. Rool and Ridley will get in before Geno as well, but hopefully Smash4 exceeds expectations!

Also, add me too the supporter list too please :D
Smash 4 is already exceeding expectations with the random Rayman trophy, Megaman's FS, and us getting Robin instead of Chrom, I can safely say Smash 4 will be the best one out there.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Geno's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Hmm, well Ranger is obvious, but Geno is also the fastest member of your party in Mario RPG. It could be interesting to see a speedy ranged character. And the roster could use another (unique) ranged fighter to compliment all the physical hitters.

He would have to be balanced out very well though, a Ranged Speedster could easily be the cheapest character in the game. I would expect him to be a glass cannon.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hmm, well Ranger is obvious, but Geno is also the fastest member of your party in Mario RPG. It could be interesting to see a speedy ranged character. And the roster could use another (unique) ranged fighter to compliment all the physical hitters.

He would have to be balanced out very well though, a Ranged Speedster could easily be the cheapest character in the game. I would expect him to be a glass cannon.
How would Geno fare against Zoners like :4marth:?

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
How would Geno fare against Zoners like :4marth:?
That's a very good question! Zoners like Marth would probably be his greatest threat, aside from other Rangers and Speedsters.

It's fun imaging how the fight would go. Granted, I haven't put any intensive thought into how his moveset would be, Geno would probably start on the defensive, and Marth would have no choice but to go on offense. So the fight would become mostly hit and run for Geno, then going in for combos when given the opportunity.

He would have to have a few physical moves to pull off some cool combos, but if he's a unique Ranger I think most of his attacks should be ranged, perhaps similar to what we know of the Mii Gunner. I really can't imagine how ranged combos could work, well, other than combos like Samus Laser and Missile spam, which really isn't a combo. It might be more of a pattern, shooting bullets from his fingers, missiles from his elbows, stars from his hands and his hands themselves to keep people moving around. Then timing his slow and powerful Geno Beam from time to time. His physical attacks should work on getting people away from him so he can continue shooting all his stuff.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
That's a very good question! Zoners like Marth would probably be his greatest threat, aside from other Rangers and Speedsters.

It's fun imaging how the fight would go. Granted, I haven't put any intensive thought into how his moveset would be, Geno would probably start on the defensive, and Marth would have no choice but to go on offense. So the fight would become mostly hit and run for Geno, then going in for combos when given the opportunity.

He would have to have a few physical moves to pull off some cool combos, but if he's a unique Ranger I think most of his attacks should be ranged, perhaps similar to what we know of the Mii Gunner. I really can't imagine how ranged combos could work, well, other than combos like Samus Laser and Missile spam, which really isn't a combo. It might be more of a pattern, shooting bullets from his fingers, missiles from his elbows, stars from his hands and his hands themselves to keep people moving around. Then timing his slow and powerful Geno Beam from time to time. His physical attacks should work on getting people away from him so he can continue shooting all his stuff.
The ideas are endless, aren't they?

It's so great to see us back in hyping shape that I'm actually adding my most wanted back on my roster. Thanks, guys!

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
The ideas are endless, aren't they?

It's so great to see us back in hyping shape that I'm actually adding my most wanted back on my roster. Thanks, guys!
*gasp* you took him off at some point?!

It is nice to be hyped about Geno again :) I was pretty hopeless when Gematsu seemed like gospel, but after this past Monday.. Everything is exciting again! I wish Sakurai would acknowledge him sometime, even if he doesn't make it in.

Staarih

Smash Master
The excitement is contagious haha, the Rayman trophy really worked its magic. I'm all up for Geno! I'm secretly wishing the Brawl polls had some sort of impact in these games... but I'll definitely take a HD Geno trophy if him being playable doesn't work out. I just hope for some Geno and SMRPG content in the game.

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
The excitement is contagious haha, the Rayman trophy really worked its magic. I'm all up for Geno! I'm secretly wishing the Brawl polls had some sort of impact in these games... but I'll definitely take a HD Geno trophy if him being playable doesn't work out. I just hope for some Geno and SMRPG content in the game.
I remember most of the characters that appeared in Brawl were the most wanted characters in Melee, like Wario, Diddy, Dedede, etc. If history is any indicator he really could show up! Geno was highly requested (if I remember correctly, that supposed "poll" where he was in 2nd place wasn't really a poll, it was a list of the characters Sakurai received mail for the most, which I think is even better than placing 2nd on a poll). Ridley, K. Rool, and Mega Man were also highly requested characters, and the Blue Bomber made it in :D I hope all these most wanted characters make it in.

But yeah, just some sort of Mario RPG representation would be incredible, an HD Geno Trophy would still make me squeal in glee.

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
You know, if Geno doesn't show up, I hope the Mii Fighter clothing customizations are vast. Akin to Soul Calibur's character creator. If I could get a Mii Gunner to look like Geno, that would be great.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
This thread always makes me smile. Geno clothing would be awesome. I just want to see Geno in HD. Character, trophy, whatever.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
@ TerminalMontage TerminalMontage , just wanted to say I'm a fan of your work. I remember reading Side Quests back in the day. Content creators like you are what keep Geno popular and give hope that Geno will come back in a game.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
@ TerminalMontage TerminalMontage , just wanted to say I'm a fan of your work. I remember reading Side Quests back in the day. Content creators like you are what keep Geno popular and give hope that Geno will come back in a game.
Thank you! It pleases me to hear you remember Side Quests! (I've working on the next episode! I hope to bring it back to life!) With the little bit of internet popularity that I've managed to scrounge up, it would be an absolute waste if I didn't try to promote my most favorite video game character of all time!

I actually have a few ideas for more Geno related animations, but they take so long to make and I'm trying to work on other projects.. But hopefully I'll make them one day!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Add me to the supporters list if you want!
I was a big Geno fan back wen Brawl's roster wasn't all revealed, and I wanted him very much (especially because back at the time there were, with my surprise, so many supporters of him).
Now I'm a bit less obsessed with him, because even if he's cool and all, I realized that he's a character who has a role only in 1 game and it's a spin-off. Yes, I still like him and all, but I'm fine even if he's not playable.
Anyway, since he's popular and SMRPG is a great game (my favorite RPG of Mario and one of my favorite RPGs in general, because of how it's simple and there aren't long cutscenes), I'd like if he is represented in at least one of the 2 versions of the game.
If not playable, as trophy or as assist... if Rayman's trophy is in, why not a Geno trophy? Well it's all in the hands of Square Enix I think, I hope they will allow Sakurai and his team to represent this awesome character in Smash.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
We still haven't seen much of any of the highly requested characters. (Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool)
It's still possible that Sakurai is saving the best for last, for the ultimate push of hype before the games release.
Rayman trophy was very random.
Perhaps Geno playable will be just as random, if not more so.
Who knows following the trend for best for last and random rayman, anything is possible.

In the very least, it exists in the realm of possibility, although only time will tell.

Top Bottom