• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
So~ I attempted to send an email to Nintendo regarding Geno's ownership status under their legal department. I mentioned nothing of Smash; my only intent was to learn something. I didn't quite get what I was looking for, but felt like sharing the reply anyway:

Man, I love Nintendo's customer service.
Wow, even Nintendo employees want Geno in Smash. I have no idea how to feel about that.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
So~ I attempted to send an email to Nintendo regarding Geno's ownership status under their legal department. I mentioned nothing of Smash; my only intent was to learn something. I didn't quite get what I was looking for, but felt like sharing the reply anyway:

so nintendo of america actually wants him to be in SSB4 :love:

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
so nintendo actually wants him to be in SSB4 :love:
One Nintendo customer service employee casually promoting the Smash ballot =/= the opinion of the company as a whole.

Don't get carried away and start telling everybody Nintendo wants Geno in Smash now.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
One Nintendo customer service employee casually promoting the Smash ballot =/= the opinion of the company as a whole.

Don't get carried away and start telling everybody Nintendo wants Geno in Smash now.
i won't why are you talking to me like this? but it was very interesting to see nintendo of america mention about voting for Geno in smash ballout because the last time we heared nintendo talks about Geno was in 2006 (alphadream doesnt count)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
i wont but it was very interesting to see nintendo of america mention about voting for Geno in smash ballout because the last time we heared nintendo talks about Geno was in 2006 (alphadream doesnt count)
It also doesn't count when they're not the one to bring Geno up, they're just answering a question regarding him. Though, they didn't really even answer the question, did they? They just redirected Steelia to something vaguely related. Classic Nintendo.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
OMG i finally found this!!! i was searching for this since 2014

this is should Geno alt custom if he is going to be in SSB also another alt custom without Geno hat
also i found another interesting things from SMRPG that has never be seen in the actual game (you can just see the text in the game but you cant see what you actualy have). click at the spoiler to see it

THIS IS INCREDIBLE I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS. I have the strategy guide, which shows Geno's flame textured robe, and I always figured there might be renders of the other armors in the game.. This is cool.

Someone mentioned they were rooting for Shovel Knight, though I haven't seen or heard the comment myself.
They haven't pushed too hard. Ross tweeted about it, that's it. Still got a couple hundred favorites/retweets though.

Last edited:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman

I freaking cried when I saw this.. this is amazing T^T <3

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
It also doesn't count when they're not the one to bring Geno up, they're just answering a question regarding him. Though, they didn't really even answer the question, did they? They just redirected Steelia to something vaguely related. Classic Nintendo.
That's not the point though; the point is that instead of being given a generic canned response which is what usually happens when people ask these questions, the customer service rep discusses Super Mario RPG in a way that indicates that he/she knows what the game is about and who Geno is. The rep specifically says that it'd be cool if Geno was in Smash; they clearly were emboldened enough to give their own genuine, individual opinion on the matter. The rep must feel quite strongly about it if they were willing to go out on a limb like that; that sort of thing is kind of frowned upon in customer service.

The mere fact that a customer service rep at Nintendo was willing to come out and say that, through an official customer service channel no less, is enough to show that at least some people at Nintendo know about the matter and look at it favorably. That alone should be enough to give people here hope.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's not the point though; the point is that instead of being given a generic canned response which is what usually happens when people ask these questions, the customer service rep discusses Super Mario RPG in a way that indicates that he/she knows what the game is about and who Geno is. The rep specifically says that it'd be cool if Geno was in Smash; they clearly were emboldened enough to give their own genuine, individual opinion on the matter. The rep must feel quite strongly about it if they were willing to go out on a limb like that; that sort of thing is kind of frowned upon in customer service.

The mere fact that a customer service rep at Nintendo was willing to come out and say that, through an official customer service channel no less, is enough to show that at least some people at Nintendo know about the matter and look at it favorably. That alone should be enough to give people here hope.
It's not a huge stretch in costumer service to empathize with the customer wherein the situation calls for it to reflect favourably upon the company, which is what not answering the actual question but showing interest in Geno (and Nintendo's own products) does. Think about it, they didn't answer the question and they redirected the sender to something new Nintendo has released, which wasn't related to the question in question. And now everybody is going on about how great that customer service was.

And it was, I mean they didn't even answer the question and they promoted their own agenda but still left a positive impression. That's skilled customer service, but all in all that's still a pretty canned response. Don't let it fool you. You should see what happens if you make an inquest about another character known for being a popular Smash request.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
It's not a huge stretch in costumer service to empathize with the customer wherein the situation calls for it to reflect favourably upon the company, which is what not answering the actual question but showing interest in Geno (and Nintendo's own products) does. Think about it, they didn't answer the question and they redirected the sender to something new Nintendo has released, which wasn't related to the question in question. And now everybody is going on about how great that customer service was.

And it was, and that's definitely nice to see, but all in all that's still a pretty canned response. Don't let it fool you. You should see what happens if you make an inquest about another character known for being a popular Smash request.
But no one here cares whether the original question was answered or not; the whole point is that the customer service rep's response is important enough on its own that the original question no longer matters.

I've lurked and watched these character campaigns for years; a response like the one we saw today is one that has never been given before. It's not a canned response, a canned response would have been a short blurb saying that only Square owns the rights with no indication of the rep's personal feelings toward the matter at all. The fact that they mentioned Geno and the rep expressed desire to see Geno in Smash, by itself, alone, is proof that this is not a canned response and is genuinely their opinion. There's nothing fooling anyone here and the importance of the response isn't invalid in any way.

If you truly feel that this is just a form letter meant to make the writer feel better, then I invite you to send them a similar question about another character like Banjo Kazooie and posting the response here; if it's extremely similar save for some name swaps then your statement will have some basis. Until then, I have seen (and received!) actual canned responses so I know that this is not one of them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But no one here cares whether the original question was answered or not; the whole point is that the customer service rep's response is important enough on its own that the original question no longer matters.
Sure no one here cares, but that's because people here just want to hear Geno and Smash in the same sentence from anyone somehow related to Nintendo. However the point of customer service is to address the questions and concerns of the customer, which didn't happen here. The rep's response is only important if you care about what they have to say, and people here care more about Geno in Smash than Geno's ownership, but Geno's ownership was the issue brought to customer service. So yes, people here might care more about what the issue was diverted to, but unless you got an answer to the original question, unless it was solved, which doesn't seem to be the case, the original question still matters.

It's nice that someone at Nintendo cares about Geno, but that doesn't change anything, and you're no more informed now than before the question was asked, so obviously it matters.

I've lurked and watched these character campaigns for years; a response like the one we saw today is one that has never been given before. It's not a canned response, a canned response would have been a short blurb saying that only Square owns the rights with no indication of the rep's personal feelings toward the matter at all. The fact that they mentioned Geno and the rep expressed desire to see Geno in Smash, by itself, alone, is proof that this is not a canned response and is genuinely their opinion. There's nothing fooling anyone here and the importance of the response isn't invalid in any way.
How convenient the response would change to include Smash right after the poll went up then, now that Nintendo actually wants to hear from people like the type who would send in asking about Geno, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I didn't mean it was canned in that it wasn't personalized at all, just that it had all the hallmarks of a canned message, namely lack of answering the question and a roundabout way of promoting something of the company's that wasn't related to the question. And btw they still could've said all they did say plus the fact that Geno was owned by Square, that at least would've been answering the question.

If you truly feel that this is just a form letter meant to make the writer feel better, then I invite you to send them a similar question about another character like Banjo Kazooie and posting the response here; if it's extremely similar save for some name swaps then your statement will have some basis. Until then, I have seen (and received!) actual canned responses so I know that this is not one of them.
I mean I could... or I could just send in a question asking about Geno's legal ownership...

But I've gotten way off from my original point, which was simply that one customer service rep's opinion, authentic or not, doesn't inherently equal Nintendo's.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
THIS IS INCREDIBLE I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS. I have the strategy guide, which shows Geno's flame textured robe, and I always figured there might be renders of the other armors in the game.. This is cool.

I told you in one of my old posts here back in 2014 that one day I am going to find this and post it here ;)

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
So yes, people here might care more about what the issue was diverted to, but unless you got an answer to the original question, unless it was solved, which doesn't seem to be the case, the original question still matters.

It's nice that someone at Nintendo cares about Geno, but that doesn't change anything, and you're no more informed now than before the question was asked, so obviously it matters.
I'd noted something like that in the post-review survey, but the... empathy?... of the rep really caught me off guard. It felt personal and genuine, when the last few days I was expecting nothing more than an obvious automated reply. If their division doesn't have access to the info I need to know, or cannot answer with 100% certainty, it can't be helped and I don't blame them for it. I prefer the honest answer I received versus "I think Geno is owned by Square", which would still leave me questioning.

Sure, I didn't get a "true" answer, but at least I know now that asking Nintendo isn't where I need to go for it.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
That's amazing ! Even if it's only a rep of the customer service, and not Nintendo as a whole, it made my heart jump when they told their desire to see Geno back. Filled me with hope and made me smile after the day I had. :)

Going back on the topic of Youtubers : I remember when I went to Markiplier's charity stream he did for the depressed and bipolar. He was playing Super Mario World (I think this is it) and he told us that he was very excited when he saw that the SNES emulator was running perfectly and he mentionned about (hopefully) doing a playthrough of SMRPG ! He told us about how the game was awesome and he would love to play it again. Maybe we can talk about it to him (I wanted to ask about it after he was done but I was too shy >//w//<" )
Plus he have a friendship with the Game Grumps, he may be rooting for Shovel Knight along the GG but if we can request him to play SMRPG, it'll be great ! Plus he's a "new popular" Youtube channel and he recently hit the 7 millions subs'. :)
plushe'sasweetheart

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
Geno Stream for a noble cause (with out ulterior motive)
....That's actually brilliant. I know, personally, I'm in college, so my time would be HELLA limited...but I could make time to help if someone seriously organized this with definite times and such. Maybe we could bring in competitive Geno supporters and people who would bring the necessary influence to get us above 15 viewers.. We should hold onto this idea.

Last edited:

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
Wow, even Nintendo employees want Geno in Smash. I have no idea how to feel about that.
Double post, but necessary.
If we shared that response, it would show our demand goes beyond just a couple of angry young adults on a forum! Publicity is publicity, and what we need is convincing publicity

N3ON brings up an excellent point for us leading the charge to keep in mind, but the masses are a different story. They want reassurance, and they eat up all information. This is a handy tool in the upcoming persuasions.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I'd noted something like that in the post-review survey, but the... empathy?... of the rep really caught me off guard. It felt personal and genuine, when the last few days I was expecting nothing more than an obvious automated reply. If their division doesn't have access to the info I need to know, or cannot answer with 100% certainty, it can't be helped and I don't blame them for it. I prefer the honest answer I received versus "I think Geno is owned by Square", which would still leave me questioning.

Sure, I didn't get a "true" answer, but at least I know now that asking Nintendo isn't where I need to go for it.
so we should go and send a massage to square enix again about the ownership of Geno? square enix said "contact to nintendo" when the first massage was sended to them so if we sended them again will they give us a clear answer?

Last edited:

Sinn

Smash Lord
so we should go and send a massage to square enix again about the ownership of Geno? square enix said "contact to nintendo" when the first massage was sended to them so if we sended them again will they give us a clear answer?
Hm, not necessarily. I mean, we could try, saying, "We contacted Nintendo and they were unable to give us an answer. Is there any other channel you can recommend for us?" or something to that effect. But there's always the possibility that both of them can't answer the question for similar reasons.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
But there's always the possibility that both of them can't answer the question for similar reasons.
hmmm... something is telling me that square enix and nintendo are trying to keep something secret will happen about Geno and mallow in the future wich is why they dont give us a clear answer and they talk about different things that has nothing to do about the question that we asked them :smirk:

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
hmmm... something is telling me that square enix and nintendo are trying to keep something secret will happen about Geno and mallow in the future wich is why they dont give us a clear answer and they talk about different things that has nothing to do about the question that we asked them :smirk:
My thoughts exactly. They are maybe planning something.
For now, let's just focus on finding people to help us out. Should I request Mark to see if he can play SMRPG after he finished his Drunk LP ?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
N3ON said:
Sure no one here cares, but that's because people here just want to hear Geno and Smash in the same sentence from anyone somehow related to Nintendo.
You're not getting the point. The reason why no one here cares is because the empathy in the response itself is important enough to stand on its own and make the original question irrelevant. The original question does not matter in the face of the response we got. It just doesn't. The fact that a Nintendo customer service employee wants Geno in Smash and was willing to say so in a response is what's important here, not the original question, not misunderstandings of what the message means for everyone here or baseless speculation that it's just a marketing ploy.

N3ON said:
How convenient the response would change to include Smash right after the poll went up then, now that Nintendo actually wants to hear from people like the type who would send in asking about Geno, isn't it?

I didn't mean it was canned in that it wasn't personalized at all, just that it had all the hallmarks of a canned message, namely lack of answering the question and a roundabout way of promoting something of the company's that wasn't related to the question.
This question was asked many times during the Brawl days when Nintendo had a similar poll going on, and no one ever received a genuine, personal response like this when they asked about the Geno copyright issue. No indication the employee knew about the situation or cared, no acknowledgement they even knew what Super Mario RPG was, none of that.

There isn't anything canned about the message at all and the fact that it doesn't answer the question doesn't make it so. If it was canned, it would've read like every other canned message we've gotten over the years -- it wouldn't have made any indication about the writer's preferences at all or even mentioned Super Mario RPG at all.

There isn't some conspiracy going on here. I'm sorry that you're upset that people are glad to hear that a Nintendo employee knows about Geno and wants him in Smash, but trying to argue that the letter is part of some grand marketing conspiracy on the part of Nintendo to make it seem like customer service reps actually care when they don't is absurd and baseless. We have legitimate reason to be pleased/excited and to argue that we don't because they didn't answer the original question is nitpicking at best and trolling at worst. Is it really that hard to accept that the customer service rep might genuinely have not known the answer to the question and that the rep was expressing the way they felt about the situation as an individual? Is it really that hard for you to see that no one here thinks the customer service rep's opinion reflects Nintendo's and that the reason people are pleased by the message is simply because of the fact that it shows Nintendo employees themselves know about the situation and look at it favorably?

Again, if you really think this is some marketing ploy by Nintendo, then I invite you to prove it by sending them a similar legal question about another third party like Banjo-Kazooie or whoever and posting the response here. If the responses are extremely similar then we'll believe you.

Sinn

Smash Lord
My thoughts exactly. They are maybe planning something.
For now, let's just focus on finding people to help us out. Should I request Mark to see if he can play SMRPG after he finished his Drunk LP ?
As much as I don't want to latch onto secret dealings without sufficient reason, I did wonder if perhaps they've been in the process of acquiring the Mario RPG IPs from S-E. It would make sense, but I don't think there's enough reason to believe it yet.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
As much as I don't want to latch onto secret dealings without sufficient reason, I did wonder if perhaps they've been in the process of acquiring the Mario RPG IPs from S-E. It would make sense, but I don't think there's enough reason to believe it yet.
Again, it's just a game theory ! Maybe they are, maybe not. Hopefully they are. It would great if they do.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha this thread is so active and it keeps me at the edge of my seat!

The following is a copycat news play-back report;Lolzcat-like font edition:

kiteinthesky
>OMG-lolz! WE GOT A RESPONSE FROM A REAL PERSON & NOT A ROBOT!!! :# :3 Lolz wiiiiii!!!!!!!!!

N3ON
>haha It is a real personLOLz- neat, but not what we are looking for Professional Grade, non-emotionalaly charged feedback lolZ.
PshNothingPersonalKid.jpeg

GenoBoost
>GUYS LOOK! LOLZ!! (Gasp) I am helping MAKE HISTORY!!!! :D

Last edited:

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! I was a huge supporter of Geno for Brawl way back in the days. This might be the best chance we'll ever get to see him return in any game ever again and who knows, if he shows up in Smash as DLC we could get him in a bunch of Mario games following that. Just imagining a Geno Amiibo is amazing. Let's make this happen.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha this thread is so active and it keeps me at the edge of my seat!

The following is a copycat news play-back report;Lolzcat-like font edition:

kiteinthesky
>OMG-lolz! WE GOT A RESPONSE FROM A REAL PERSON & NOT A ROBOT!!! :# :3 Lolz wiiiiii!!!!!!!!!

N3ON
>haha It is a real personLOLz- neat, but not what we are looking for Professional Grade, non-emotionalaly charged feedback lolZ.
PshNothingPersonalKid.jpeg

GenoBoost
>GUYS LOOK! LOLZ!! (Gasp) I am helping MAKE HISTORY!!!! :D
I usually don't joke about this (to not be rude) but there ARE a good number of us typing like this...

In other news I used different computers at my school to send in 3 votes today.

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
That's amazing ! Even if it's only a rep of the customer service, and not Nintendo as a whole, it made my heart jump when they told their desire to see Geno back. Filled me with hope and made me smile after the day I had. :)

Going back on the topic of Youtubers : I remember when I went to Markiplier's charity stream he did for the depressed and bipolar. He was playing Super Mario World (I think this is it) and he told us that he was very excited when he saw that the SNES emulator was running perfectly and he mentionned about (hopefully) doing a playthrough of SMRPG ! He told us about how the game was awesome and he would love to play it again. Maybe we can talk about it to him (I wanted to ask about it after he was done but I was too shy >//w//<" )
Plus he have a friendship with the Game Grumps, he may be rooting for Shovel Knight along the GG but if we can request him to play SMRPG, it'll be great ! Plus he's a "new popular" Youtube channel and he recently hit the 7 millions subs'. :)
plushe'sasweetheart
As a big Markiplier fan well I think he voted shovel Knight and he wouldn't vote Geno (because mannequins and puppets scare him) Still would love to see him play super Mario rpg tho

Last edited:

TailsFan92

Smash Cadet
Just imagining a Geno Amiibo is amazing. Let's make this happen.
1). Super Mario RPG/Geno merchandise is very rare to come by, even online
2). Regular Amiibos in general are also very rare to acquire.

If Nintendo were to announce a Geno Amiibo, you would have to pre-order that thing the minute that they announced it and made it available to pre-order because that thing would be gone so fast and would be near IMPOSSIBLE to find afterwards......... But honestly I would slap my money down on the table so hard to get my hands on a Geno Amiibo.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
I usually don't joke about this (to not be rude) but there ARE a good number of us typing like this...

In other news I used different computers at my school to send in 3 votes today.
No worries mate, I wasn't aiming to step on toes, just lighten the mood. :) Also, nice.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
1). Super Mario RPG/Geno merchandise is very rare to come by, even online
2). Regular Amiibos in general are also very rare to acquire.

If Nintendo were to announce a Geno Amiibo, you would have to pre-order that thing the minute that they announced it and made it available to pre-order because that thing would be gone so fast and would be near IMPOSSIBLE to find afterwards......... But honestly I would slap my money down on the table so hard to get my hands on a Geno Amiibo.
Oh totally dude, no doubt. It would be amazing though.

Who remembers Beware The Forest's Mushrooms being found on the Brawl disc though?

There's no way Geno's never been considered by the team. I'm usually optimistic but now I feel like this could really be the time. He's the character (along with his fans) who never really goes away despite being pretty much unused for 20 years.

Oh totally dude, no doubt. It would be amazing though.

Who remembers Beware The Forest's Mushrooms being found on the Brawl disc though?

There's no way Geno's never been considered by the team. I'm usually optimistic but now I feel like this could really be the time. He's the character (along with his fans) who never really goes away despite being pretty much unused for 20 years.
**Disclaimer**
that video is fan made. only the name was found. not the music. it could be from something else.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
**Disclaimer**
that video is fan made. only the name was found. not the music. it could be from something else.
Oh really? Well, if the name was still found that's still something more than we're used to.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Oh really? Well, if the name was still found that's still something more than we're used to.
I remember reading people said that the filename could've just as easily been referring to background music from the original Mario Party.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Haha y'all are the best! Keep up the good fight and keep on supporting our Star-Sent savior in blue :D

I think we all need to reconsider our angle, and perhaps make our thread more approachable to everyone. Maybe try to get his popularity back up to where it was during the Brawl days. Question is, how do we do that?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Top Bottom