• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
Will Geno get a voice if he joined SSB4? or he will be silent like Megaman and pac-man I am really wondering how his voice will sound like :rolleyes:
Because of things he's said like "Yo Smithy! Stop making those things and hand over the Star piece NOW!"
and "Hey! Chill out!" and then "I serve...a higher authority..." "Well, we won the battle. Now I hope we don't lose the war..."and other serious stuff. He'd need a hell of a range in VAing. I think something like your stereotypical anime protagonist (Or maybe even "protagonist's cool but powerfully chill sidekick friend").

EDIT: Looked up some quotes...and I thought this one fit beautifully when explaining our cause or votes:
"I'm "♥♪!?", but it's hard to pronounce so... Call me "Geno", after the doll. I chose him because he looked the strongest out of all the dolls."

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright, so, the interesting this about this poll is that it's not simply just asking for who people want but why they should be added. In this sense, this poll also has a depth of negotiation to it. When it comes to negotiation, there are three major rules to remember:

1. The person who cares the least has the most power in negotiations. This may sound strange especially since, in this case, they're asking us what we want. The key though is that we want to convince them that THEY want Geno to be in Smash because they already know that we want him. This means that when making arguments, avoided anything emotionally charged. No pleading or begging either. The moment we get into pure fanboyism, the moment we losing any real bargaining position. This being said, don't flood the poll with votes either and, if you must vote, make sure your vote is well thought out.

2. Know which buttons to push. In negotiations, you need to know your client and what's important to them. In this case, we're dealing with Sakurai. When it comes to Smash characters, what does Sakurai value? He's talked about it in the past: brings something new to the table that nobody else does, means something to both Nintendo and the fanbase alike, and has a lot of creative potential. In 500 words, you need to touch on these things so think carefully before writing.

3. Be assertive, not aggressive, and strive to be as professional as possible. Let's face it, Nintendo's not expecting a lot of level headed votes in this poll. They are expecting rabid fanboyism, emotional outbursts, and grade school levels of communication. This is why many of the votes will probably be simply disregarded. This means that while many fans come forward covered in Dorito dust and wearing basketball shorts, Geno fans need to come in wearing business suits. It's not really serious business but if we want to set ourselves apart, we should try to play the part.

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
Alright, so, the interesting this about this poll is that it's not simply just asking for who people want but why they should be added. In this sense, this poll also has a depth of negotiation to it. When it comes to negotiation, there are three major rules to remember:
logic follows.
Excellent points, but I think one last thing to keep in mind is that we will DEFINITELY have people revoting... so with that in mind.. people, if you must re-vote, don't plaster a spam message into each submission. That's a great way to get our movement discredited.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Yes, this, EXACTLY. This is exactly what I was going for when I posted my vote. I reasoned that Geno has many fans who would be interested in him, lots of potential for being a unique character to play as, and is relevant as a symbol of the entire facet of Mario RPG games out there. That's the kind of reasoning that matters from the game designers' perspective.

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
So, we're gonna need to mount up support and kick it into overdrive. Phil Spencer (Of microsoft infamy) has just given his official support to include Banjo & Kazooie in SSB4. That's bad for all major factions. I love the games, but Banjo gets MAJOR support.

EDIT: Check my later post for clarification on this statement. Love all potential inclusions.

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
So, we're gonna need to mount up support and kick it into overdrive. Phil Spencer (Of microsoft infamy) has just given his official support to include Banjo & Kazooie in SSB4. That's bad for all major factions. I love the games, but Banjo gets MAJOR support.
With a Microsoft man saying that, and the Gamegrumps pushing Shovel Knight.. Geno's got some tough competition.

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
With a Microsoft man saying that, and the Gamegrumps pushing Shovel Knight.. Geno's got some tough competition.
I'd love to ask Square-enix the same question, but I'm dreading the result (if we got a response). Then again, if you want to win the lottery, you have to buy a ticket, right?

Sinn

Smash Lord
I'd love to ask Square-enix the same question, but I'm dreading the result (if we got a response). Then again, if you want to win the lottery, you have to buy a ticket, right?
As they say in Attack on Titan, you can't win if you don't fight. I say we ask. An official statement saying yes would be great. And remember, even if Geno has TONS of support from fans and Nintendo wants to do it but Square says no, we're dead in the water. Getting Square to be on board with this may be an important step.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I really hope we don't fall into the trap of seeing this as a competition and seeing fans of other characters as enemies. That's the kind of behavior that alienated everyone else from Geno fans back during the Brawl days. This isn't a zero-sum game or a competition; we have no idea how many DLC characters Nintendo's going to make or what their criteria is and we must keep in mind that it's ultimately Nintendo's decision who they're gonna put in. I don't want to take part in an effort to alienate and drive away others.

We must also take into consideration the possibility of DLC assist trophies and that if that is a thing, then lots of the characters people suggest will become ATs. Maybe even Mallow if we're lucky.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Seeing what that single Microsoft tweet did for Banjo-support, a similar thing for Geno (even just a "he'd be a cool addition"-comment) would help immensely. Not sure if we'd ever get that though haha! Lots more campaigning to do I guess.

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
I really hope we don't fall into the trap of seeing this as a competition and seeing fans of other characters as enemies. That's the kind of behavior that alienated everyone else from Geno fans back during the Brawl days. This isn't a zero-sum game or a competition; we have no idea how many DLC characters Nintendo's going to make or what their criteria is and we must keep in mind that it's ultimately Nintendo's decision who they're gonna put in. I don't want to take part in an effort to alienate and drive away others.
I see how my message could be taken that way, sorry for the poor choice of words. What I mean is that we really need to galvanize and produce support, not turn sides. Without major support, we don't compare. I'm not saying we attack or isolate ourselves, but we should definitely take care of our own affairs along the way.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey, I know our main concern is Geno and all

But Phil Spencer just said that if Banjo is seriously considered for Smash, they'd allow him in

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros

But Phil Spencer just said that if Banjo is seriously considered for Smash, they'd allow him in
Impeccable timing, we just discussed (as result of this bomb drop) how support should be all-inclusive, though Geno-focused. I feel that we should try not to burn bridges, even if they go on all-out assault (in way of slander.) Perhaps we can reach out to them and ask for mutual support?
EDIT:
Opinions on doing this with Bayonetta's support force, too? They seem to be the other big boss making waves aside from Geno and ( almost guaranteed) Banjo.
DOUBLE EDIT:
Redundant points i made. We should do this with everyone Geno supporters also want to support. Now I'm done posting for a bit.

Last edited:

Sinn

Smash Lord

Not gonna lie, BK would be pretty cool. Like, I've always ignored the possibility of them showing up due to the whole Rare/Microsoft thing, but BK was a huge thing on N64 and is probably as deserving of a spot. Of course, I still want Geno more >.> <.<

How would a mutual support thing even work? Like...I know we need to reach more people who have a platform that can reach out to others (like the thing mentioned about Game Grumps supporting Shovel Knight or DM Brandon who already has been promoting Geno). It's all a matter of knowing/getting in touch with the right people to spread the message.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't support Bayonetta

Edit: Personal preference and all

Last edited:

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
I don't support Bayonetta
Fair enough, I mean we support them as representatives of Geno, but only as individuals do we pick who to do this for. In other words, make it know that Geno Fans support "XYZ" and make an actual effort to spread the word of those characters amongst us. you can alwyas opt not to, but each character deserves some sort of recognition among the fanbases (if they actually go ahead and support us also).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe we should see if Square Enix would be willing to allow Nintendo to use Geno

I think they are more tight lipped though, and the main members are Japanese

Sinn

Smash Lord
Maybe we should see if Square Enix would be willing to allow Nintendo to use Geno

I think they are more tight lipped though, and the main members are Japanese
Who here can write in Japanese? I mean, optimally we'd want to hit them in their American and Japanese offices, but you're right about their higher ups being in Japan.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not going to lie, Geno's still my favorite video game character of all time but if Banjo and Kazooie made it in, I would **** bricks, make a house out of them, and happily live there for a year. In other news, Reddit's doing an ongoing poll on who all people have voted for so far and Geno's actually in the top 20 right now.

Warning: Massive Picture inside:

Last edited:

trumpet Thief

Smash Rookie
My partner and I will be uploading a cover of 'Forest Maze' on our Youtube channel in about two weeks once it's ready to get any video game music fans subscribed to us to vote for Geno if they are otherwise undecided. As long as people keep talking about him and supporting him, I think we can reach pre-Brawl levels of support for him!

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
Because of things he's said like "Yo Smithy! Stop making those things and hand over the Star piece NOW!"
and "Hey! Chill out!" and then "I serve...a higher authority..." "Well, we won the battle. Now I hope we don't lose the war..."and other serious stuff. He'd need a hell of a range in VAing. I think something like your stereotypical anime protagonist (Or maybe even "protagonist's cool but powerfully chill sidekick friend").

EDIT: Looked up some quotes...and I thought this one fit beautifully when explaining our cause or votes:
"I'm "♥♪!?", but it's hard to pronounce so... Call me "Geno", after the doll. I chose him because he looked the strongest out of all the dolls."
proof that Geno is stronger than Mario....

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Sinn said:
How would a mutual support thing even work? Like...I know we need to reach more people who have a platform that can reach out to others (like the thing mentioned about Game Grumps supporting Shovel Knight or DM Brandon who already has been promoting Geno). It's all a matter of knowing/getting in touch with the right people to spread the message.
We could find the other groups that want Square characters in, unite in the name of epic justice, and campaign both Square and Nintendo to get Square to get on board with letting their characters in Smash.

Last edited:

Sinn

Smash Lord
[quote="Sinn, post: 18896340, member: 70861"]
We could find the other groups that want Square characters in, unite in the name of epic justice, and campaign both Square and Nintendo to get Square to get on board with letting their characters in Smash.
That actually sounds like a pretty decent idea. Plus there's the fact that I wouldn't really mind other Square characters (coughCronocough) showing up if Geno can't make it.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Ok, so who wants to go talk to the Cloud fans and who wants to go talk to the Crono fans? Should we make a separate Facebook page dedicated solely to getting Square on board? If so, would anyone want to make it?

I think it'd be better for us to focus on American execs for now until we can get in touch with the Japanese fans somehow (there were a LOT of Japanese Geno fans back in the Brawl days -- who knows now?). I really wish we could find someone that can speak Japanese.

We all can just tweet @SquareEnix and beg them to let a character in Smash or something. Contacting Square execs has always been so hard.

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
Did y'all guys know that you can actually vote on your New Nintendo 3DS XL or original 3DS on your in internet browser to vote different ways!?!
While not officially condoning reposting through 3ds, those who have no access to the internet otherwise can find this very useful.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Ok, here are some Twitter accounts we can tweet to: http://www.ign.com/wikis/game-companies-on-twitter/Square_Enix

I can't seem to find any Crono or Cloud or Sora threads anywhere here. I remember there being a Crono thread a long time ago. What happened to everybody?
I suspect that Crono support may have died down with the realization of how few third party characters ended up in Brawl. And Cloud, for instance, has only been tangentially related to Nintendo via games like Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Final Fantasy Theatrhythm, for instance. Not that this makes him an impossibility, but I can understand the lower likelihood of people getting behind him based on that.

In any case, a barrage of tweets may get some attention from S-E, but again, we'll probably need a sizable amount. Also, there are people like me who don't really have a twitter >.> <.< Should I just make one for the purpose of tweeting at them? Would that work/be helpful?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I suspect that Crono support may have died down with the realization of how few third party characters ended up in Brawl. And Cloud, for instance, has only been tangentially related to Nintendo via games like Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Final Fantasy Theatrhythm, for instance. Not that this makes him an impossibility, but I can understand the lower likelihood of people getting behind him based on that.

In any case, a barrage of tweets may get some attention from S-E, but again, we'll probably need a sizable amount. Also, there are people like me who don't really have a twitter >.> <.< Should I just make one for the purpose of tweeting at them? Would that work/be helpful?
We don't have to contact them only through Twitter; I'm sure there's a Square Facebook page somewhere we can inundate with messages too. I leave the search for other Square social media pages to better folks.

Hey PsychoIncarnate, if this becomes a thing would you be willing to put a short message in the OP with Square's social media stuff telling everyone to beg Square to endorse putting one of their characters in Smash?

Top Bottom