• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gears of War

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Box Art:

Genre: Third Person Shooter
ERSB Rating: RP (It'll be M)
Platform: Xbox 360
Developer: Epic Games
Publisher: Microsoft Gaming Studios
MSRP: $59.99 Regular Edition, $69.99 Collector's Edition
Release Date: November 12, 2006

Gears of War is Epic Games' first Xbox 360 game, and is one of the most visually impressive titles in the system's early stages. Played through a third person perspective, Gears of War allows players to assume the role of Marcus Fenix, a former war hero who leads a team of other warriors against a nightmarish race of creatures called the Locust Horde.

Utilizing the Unreal 3 engine, GoW was one of the biggest titles at Microsoft's showing. Marrying next generation visuals and a revolutionary tactical ombat system, the game seeks to allow gamers to experience a game that will engross them in a story of war and survival. A rich, dynamic world filled with an unprecedented level of awaits gamers. Characters in the game literally come to life with amazing detail and a physics-integrated animation system that has them reacting intelligently to the events around them. Not only that, but gamers can use their surrounding environments like never before. Suppressing the enemy with blindfire, disarming enemies and creating your own cover using your surroundings will all be commonplace in Gears of War.

Unlike other shooters, Gears of War is all about teamwork in a big way. All game modes, levels and scenarios are designed specifically to encourage co-operative play, whether it be with A.I. partners or human players. Epic Games is pushing for a game where your A.I. teammates would be nearly indiscernible from fellow human players, with unique characters that have different strengths, weaknesses and personalities. On top of that, voice recognition will be available for players, and obviously voice chat to discuss strategy with your friends. In addition to voice chat, gamers will be able to experience individualized matchmaking, view player statistics, earn player achievements, customize their games, and build and personalize their gamer profiles over Xbox Live.

Videos

Everyone at E3 loved the Gears of War multiplayer, click here to read all about it on IGN.

Impressions of the E3 demo and other things from E3.

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
As great as it looks, I just don't want regurgitated space marine drivel, so I want to hear much, much, more about the story.

captain ahab

Smash Cadet
half past a monkeys a** and a quarter to its balls
i would also like to here more about the story, but this game looks phenomenal its graphics are really crisp and its good to play a gun game that strays off of the first person view, im lovin the whole "war torn" feel of the environment and if it has some good multiplayer this game is almost enough to sell me a 360 alone.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Lol, my topic got bumped. Now to watch it die again.

Anyways, while it's been bumped, for anyone who cares (no one?), there's going to be a "BIG" announcement this week regarding it. A demo? A release date? Gamer pictures on Xbox Live?! Alright, that final one wouldn't be big at all. My source is Mark Rein though, he posted a topic in the Gears of War forums last week on Epic's site just saying "BIG announcement next week."

And just for the sake of things I updated the first post with links to E3 demo impressions, E3 multiplayer impressions, trailers and posted new screens instead of the screens that were up from the old build.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
This game is looking oh-so-much better now that it runs at more than two frames per second. Infact, it's looking pretty damn sexy. <3

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Oh and just recently they finally got the game running well using more than one of the 360's cores. Before it was just running on one out of the three, one of the reasons the framerate was so low.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
This game looks great, the graphics are some of the best on the system. The, "stop and pop" gameplay looks awesome. Can't wait to play this, which will probably be the best shooting game(on the 360) until Halo 3 comes out.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
You realize the Halo 3 trailer says "2007" for a reason, right? Halo 3 won't hit till late 2007.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
At least we'll have Gears of War and plenty of other shooters to wait until then(Army of Two).

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Gears of War is incredible. I've finished the first act of the campaign on the difficulty setting "Hardcore". The last part of the act... wow. I was being chased... well, I had to lure this huuuge thing outside and I could hurt it. My heart was beating so fast while doing it.

Anyone else with a 360 that wants to play some multiplayer or do some online co-op? I was just playing the multiplayer for about an hour and it's also a lot of fun. The matches are pretty fast but I played over 20 rounds of the same gametype on the same level and it was still as fun as the first time.

The 360 finally looks to have something I can play day after day with my friends... it's about time.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
=|....meh...it looks ok,nothing i'm anticipating......*expects people to go WHA?,ZOMG jOO N00B U TEH SUXORS!!!!111*
ZOMG JOO N00B TEH SUXORS!!!111

Just kidding.

Gears of War is a pretty amazing game. I'm getting a 360 just to play it after trying it at my friend's house. The online mode is really kickass. It'll definitely take hours off my life. =P

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
CSHD, we should play sometime, versus or co-op. My gamertag is Amorasaki, naturally. That goes to any other players here, too. A SWF game would be fun.

I have to admit though, I have just started act 1. I jumped right into multiplayer and haven't stopped to continue solo.

I feel like all I am going to be using the 360 for are FPS games : (

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I haven't played the game since Friday... Viva Pinata is so freaking addicting. I'm gonna play Act 4 with a friend over Live tonight, and then I'll probably finish the game up this weekend.

Nite

Smash Champion
I haven't played this game yet. It looked so amazing though when I saw someone playing it at a smash tournament this weekend. The graphics are breathtaking and the gameplay looks fun as hell. I hope I can play it sometime.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I was in a film class in school and a substitute teacher let some kid play it during class (!) by bringing in his XBox 360. The game definetly looks pretty cool, and I'll make sure that I check it out sometime.

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
I stopped playing multiplayer for a while to give the campaign a go. I've been limiting myself purposefully to savor it. About 1/2 an act every night, in a dark room by myself. Very fun, act 3 was incredible for me, very tense scary through the factory (and that rain!). Then underground in the mines I was just taking in the beautiful scenery. I mean... caves in a FPS, ho hum. But seriously, gorgeous here. After I was finished with this act (and the fact that I didn't really like act 2), I felt bad that there is no way to choose levels to re-play after you've beaten them.

I stopped tonight at halfway through act four, leaving the fight up the steps to the Fenix estate for tomorrow. I heard that part is a good segment so I'm looking forward to it.

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
I just finished the game. I tried to do a co-op hardcore for the RAAM boss battle, but he kept running straight towards him and warbling something I couldn't hear on his mic. He died, then I would die trying to revive him. After like 5 tries of this I just kicked him out and did it myself on casual. It's still not an easy fight IMO. Wish the ending cutscene was longer.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I feel really bad when I see you're online and I'm playing Viva Pinata, Amo. Still haven't touched Gears of War since the 11th... Finishing up Viva Pinata (3 more achievements) and then I'll probably stop playing till I beat Gears of War and the co-op patch for Viva Pinata comes out.

Own3dGuerO

Smash Apprentice
Gears Of War kind of puts Halo 2 to shame.
Yeah I went to my first GoW LAN 2 nights ago.
All I can say is I played it for 13 straight hours with my friend on XBL and yeah it's very unique.The only problem I have with it is that the chainsaw attacks are pretty cheap.
Along with the explosive nades.
Yeah GoW is killing Halo until next year once Bungie finally release Halo3.
Until then GoW will make ALOT of fans.

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
Lol cshd, every time I see you you've got that viva pinata thing going. Nice gamerscore too. I feel like such a newb with my 1 month old 360 and my not really caring about achievements.

I beat RAAM on hardcore solo last night too. Next thing I'll try is doing the campaign on hardcore. I am not looking forward to
the imulsion wretches in act 3, and that traincar in act 5 where the wretches break in through the roof and windows. God that was tough even on co-op.

COD3PWNER

Smash Cadet
Gears of War (AMAZING!)

I played this game a while at a Virtual Arena (place to go and play video games on big screens) and I loved it. The multiplayer was awesome with 4 people. The people who made this certainly knew how to make a gory as h-e-double hockey sticks game too. They made awesome guns such as the machine gun with a chainsaw on the bottom.

Own3dGuerO

Smash Apprentice
I played this game a while at a Virtual Arena (place to go and play video games on big screens) and I loved it. The multiplayer was awesome with 4 people. The people who made this certainly knew how to make a gory as h-e-double hockey sticks game too. They made awesome guns such as the machine gun with a chainsaw on the bottom.
Hah exactly.
I wish they had a Virtual Arena in Sac.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
I never want to fight General RAAM in insane mode.
For some odd reason, my partner lost his torque bow, so we had no choice but to wait till he shot out the krills to us (or some well placed grenades). Took us like 7 shotgun shots + 4 sniper shots in his head to kill him.

th0rn

Smash Lord
For people who play online warzone, did anyone notice how insanely quick and effective the pistol melee is? Good range, one hit and there's enough stun time for another quick hit and they're down. Too good.

Own3dGuerO

Smash Apprentice
I never want to fight General RAAM in insane mode.
For some odd reason, my partner lost his torque bow, so we had no choice but to wait till he shot out the krills to us (or some well placed grenades). Took us like 7 shotgun shots + 4 sniper shots in his head to kill him.
I was stuck with a Pistol when we fought RAAM.

I accidently threw my default gun away for a bow.
Ah that was not good.

Took us like 6 tries to figure out how to take him out on insane.

=\

Sirias

Smash Champion
OH MAN! This game... seriously. IT WAS SO KOOL!

The first time I played it I didn't wanna let go of the controller. Addictive? Majorly. For me, anyway.

It's not as addicting as SSB... but it's still awesome. Like Halo. Seriously, awesome game, I loved it. And still do! Until my cousin gets it online it's just not gonna be as good as it could. Well... Offline 4-player is good enough for now~ <3

th0rn

Smash Lord
I agree, this game is pretty addictive. My right hand is in pain from playing it so much the other day. Not to mention I have an upcoming smashfest this saturday...

Top Bottom