• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GC controllers? Bullscav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
Since there seems to be an general belief that Brawl will use GC controllers, I felt like this was needed:
IGN said:
Under the direction of series creator Masahiro Sakurai, Super Smash Bros. Brawl will feature classic, GameCube-style combat -- not Wii-style motion-controlled combat. That means players who prefer to play the game with the traditional control setup can look forward to using the GameCube control-style they're already accustomed to.

"We found that trying to implement too much motion-sensory functionality can get in the way of the game. We're looking at keeping the control simple, as it has been," said Sakurai. "The Wii hardware has sockets for the GameCube controller, too. So I'll just say now that you may not want to throw away your GCN controller yet."
If you find as much as ONE word in there that says that Brawl will use GC CONTROLLERS, tell me please. No more news has come out concerning the control since then on neither IGN nor smashdojo.com. If this has been said before, delete this topic.

Scav edit: Changed title to a slightly better 4-letter word

Eaode

Smash Champion
You're absolutely right, but I think you're over reacting. There's still a strong hint in there, nothing is certain. People just like to be hopeful.

I've posted a traditional Wiimote+nunchuck control scheme before, and it doesn't seem that awkward

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Duker, if you find as much as ONE word in there that says that Brawl will NOT use GC CONTROLLERS, tell me please. The Gamecube controller is a more ideal setup for a game like smash. Of course, we all know it is a possibility that they'll implement some funky control scheme using the Wii remote and nunchuk, but I won't be one bit surprised to hear them announce that it will use Gamecube controllers.

TaikaAli

Smash Apprentice
Personally i would love to use only GC controller. But as some people have said: "You play wiis game with wiis controller." I agree with that but still i would no like using any other than loved Cube controller.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Metal Slug Anthology is one Wii title that uses Gamecube controllers. I think the Dragonball Z game does as well. There really is no reason not to use Gamecube controllers.

suedoaet

Smash Apprentice
yeah duker u r def overreacting, plus as buzz said its dosent say anything about NOT using the controller. I think buzz might be wrong about implementing a wii mote setup. i think it will be classic controller and cube controller thats it. and by classic controller i mean wii's new suped up snes controller which btw is tight!! u should def not worry, and def not throw away your controller, well maybe it might be a ****ty controller i am planning on buying a new gc controller actually next wiik, hahah i made a funny

Sensai

Smash Master
Buzz said:
Duker, if you find as much as ONE word in there that says that Brawl will NOT use GC CONTROLLERS, tell me please. The Gamecube controller is a more ideal setup for a game like smash. Of course, we all know it is a possibility that they'll implement some funky control scheme using the Wii remote and nunchuk, but I won't be one bit surprised to hear them announce that it will use Gamecube controllers.
Thank you.

The thing is that it hints strongly at using a GC controller, while also saying that motion sensing isn't the best way to go.

And, as someone else said, they're not going to fix what isn't broken. Melee is still one of the top 10 best selling GC titles, as it has been since it's release. It's one of the handful of reasons to get a GC, 'cause it's a great game. The control is good....why would they risk it?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Traditional controllers work fine with fighting games, I'm not too sure how well/poor the Wii Remote would work with fighting games such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Why change a good thing? And yes, i am open to new things so don't say that I won't change my opinion.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
There really is no reason not to use Gamecube controllers.
That's where you're wrong, my friend.

If you went to your local gamestore, you'll notice that SSBM is still for sale... and new.

How long has it been? 6 years now?

Do you think they'll be selling Gamecube controllers SIX years from now?

I doubt it. If anything, GCN controller compatibility won't be more than an option.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
The control is good....why would they risk it?
Tell that to Super Mario DS. >_> Nintendo would risk it because they want to push the idea of a new and innovative form of control. It doesn't seem far-fetched that they would do it; they forced Super Mario DS onto the DS when it didn't really work out. They could very well do the same thing for Brawl.

Although it's interesting to note that Gamecube controllers are slowly being phased out. Apparently, they're not being sold anymore at Nintendo World Store, and the implications of that--especially concerning SSBB--is a bit scary.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
The FIRST day Brawl was announced, we were told the game would use Gamecube controllers. I don't feel like searching for it, because I'm not the one that's challenging it. Go back and find the first reports of the game from E3 2006.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Technically no they didn't. They said "you might not want to throw away your GC controllers yet."

So it's more confirmed than Duker would believes, but less than others think.

And as I've said before, I don't care how confirmed it is. Brawl won't be using the GC controller for its primary input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom