• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GaW vs Falco

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Before I start, lol at topic only because it has been said this is such an easy match up for G&W. People are stupid. This is not an easy match up for G&W; however it's not easy for falco either. I don't even think there's a Falco vs G&W thread in the Falco boards.

Let me give you an idea on how good Jungle Japes is for Falco. I got it banned in Florida. Don't take him there.

Actually, Hylian's right. Average Falcos will fall into the bair spam; however on good falcos that know how to adapt, you're going to get punished for it.

Unless you space that b-air perfectly, Falco's dash attack is fast enough to punish that very little lag when you land. About 90% of G&W's moves have a substantial amount of lag which is going to seriously hinder his ability to stay top tier for too long. A falco can win this match-up by just spacing every G&W attack and immediate dash attacking after it.

The reason why Falcos and G&W's think its a bad match up for Falco is because Falco's really like to be inside of their opponent ****** their shield. Ever since melee, Falco has been too aggressive. This habit has carried over to a game where you get punished hard for that (All of G&W's Smashes killing at 90%).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W is more hindered by the startup of his attacks than the ending lag. If he fullhops B-air there is no ending lag, and he gets to do one more attack before he hits the ground. His Smashes as you know are safe on block. G&W's main weakness is once you get inside his range, he doesn't have many GET OFF ME attacks.

Also, Snake's F-tilt outspeeds G&W's D-tilt by 2 frames, which sucks even though the D-tilt is generally safe due to having ZERO ending lag.

Falco is FORCED to be on the offensive in this matchup. He cannot laser camp in this matchup as long as G&W ducks. All approaches he does from the front WILL be ***** by D-tilt you're aware, right?

Basically, most of Falco's better options are limited simply by the fact G&W can crouch, which gives G&W the matchup advantage.

And G&W will stay in the top tier. U-air stalling alone justifies this, not to mention a matchup advantage vs DDD.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
G&W is more hindered by the startup of his attacks than the ending lag. If he fullhops B-air there is no ending lag, and he gets to do one more attack before he hits the ground. His Smashes as you know are safe on block. G&W's main weakness is once you get inside his range, he doesn't have many GET OFF ME attacks.

Also, Snake's F-tilt outspeeds G&W's D-tilt by 2 frames, which sucks even though the D-tilt is generally safe due to having ZERO ending lag.

Falco is FORCED to be on the offensive in this matchup. He cannot laser camp in this matchup as long as G&W ducks. All approaches he does from the front WILL be ***** by D-tilt you're aware, right?

Basically, most of Falco's better options are limited simply by the fact G&W can crouch, which gives G&W the matchup advantage.

And G&W will stay in the top tier. U-air stalling alone justifies this, not to mention a matchup advantage vs DDD.
Dtilt has cool down lag, or at least frames where a hitbox is none existent and yet G&W can't move... I've punished it even when I didn't shield it or airdodge through to the other side. It is really punishable if it gets shielded, and it's not too hard for Falco to throw a shield up when he gets within Dtilt range.

His smashes are generally safe on block but you can punish them with a fast counter attack if you are close enough when you shield.

Falco is not forced to be on the offensive, even if Dtilt out ranges a lot of his moves. G&W doesn't have a good projectile or move that forces Falco to approach.

Crouching under lasers is one thing, but it doesn't automatically give G&W an advantage. He really has the advantage over Falco because he has stronger kill moves, does more damage overall if you disregard Falco's CG, has better overall range, recovery, edgeguarding, etc. than Falco. Being able to dodge the lasers by ducking is a minuscule detail in the big picture.

Hylian's 6:4 for G&W sounds right. It can be more or less for either side depending on the stage you pick.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Crouching under lasers is one thing, but it doesn't automatically give G&W an advantage. He really has the advantage over Falco because he has stronger kill moves, does more damage overall if you disregard Falco's CG, has better overall range, recovery, edgeguarding, etc. than Falco. Being able to dodge the lasers by ducking is a minuscule detail in the big picture.
I perceive this differently than you do.

The key thing is Falco can't do anything from a distance if G&W simply ducks. If G&W wants to be ultra gay, he can stall out all match and wait for Falco to approach him. Ducking ultimately makes the situation so that nothing can happen unless Falco makes a move. This makes him predictable.

The ROB forums themselves promote that ROB should ledgecamp until Falco approaches. If G&W can avoid lasers by SIMPLY DUCKING, I don't see why you wouldn't do that for as long as necessary.

I'm pretty sure that the idea to winning in Brawl is that if something helps, it should be abused. I don't see why G&W wouldn't simply crouch all day since Falco isn't doing anything to him at that rate, and he has the positional advantage when crouching since the D-tilt usually punishes Falco's best approach options.

Hell, I was at the Fox matchup discussion. Emblem Lord made a big point that Fox's options are limited to mediocre approach simply due to the fact G&W can duck under his lasers and wait and then D-tilt when Fox approaches. I don't see why this is any different for Falco, since G&W clearly has a range and priority advantage against his approaches too.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
A2ZOMG, What I meant was, yes it is an advantage for G&W, but there are other bigger reasons as to why G&W out classes Falco. I just meant the ability to avoid lasers by crouching is a small advantage he has compared to an advantage he has like range over Falco. But yes you are right, crouching is a fine option in a lot of situations. Biggest disadvantage crouching has is that G&W isn't very mobile while he is doing it, but that is easy to get around.

Top Bottom