• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf's Up Tilt

D

Deleted member

The one where he charges for a second and then unleashes a powerful Volcano Kick.

Is there really a use for this move in a 1 vs. 1 setting? I was harshly told there wasn't.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
There is no use for it in any setting.

At best, it's a not-very-committal edge guard/ledgetrap attempt with (technically) the potential to 2-frame if you're the luckiest son the world ever saw.

Even there, though, Ganon has significantly better options.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Essentially what SaltyKracka said. It has application for edgeguard but that's it. Or on For Glory and the opponent doesn't know what they're doing.
And you were 'harshly' told in the Competitive Impressions thread after you stated 'I refuse to believe that Utilt serves no purpose,' which shows that you're not willing to accept something that time and time proves not to work in most For Glory matches, let alone tournaments. That thread is probably the place where the most scrutiny is given, so don't take it too hard; learn from it :)

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Its a good edgeguard option vs fox and falco when they are illusioning. Also if you space it right you can pull Ike onto the stage while hes aethering if he doesnt go for ledge sweet spot. Also if you break someones shield its a free stock. Also its good on Up Bs that dont ledgesnap ala Cloud Mac etc. Also **** what u heard yo

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
Even in the rare situations it could be used (e.g. characters that don't ledgesnap) D-air is usually the better and easier option.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
It's a bad move, but It DEFINITELTY has its uses.
In the right situations, it's low risk / super high reward.

I agree, though, that Ganon often has better options in those same situations.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Yup. I've used utilt away from the edge as an effective edgeguard move, it somehow clashed with getup attack and still killed.
It's possibly Ganon's ultimate disrespect tool, but at the price of getting punished horribly if you don't know how and when to use it.

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
One niche situation is trapping people trying to land onstage, beneath the platform, on BF, even though it's still risky. For example, Dthrow to utilt when you're beneath the platform. This is less risky than a lot of situations, and it makes your opponent have to decide whether to try to land on the platform (utilt sometimes covers), land just at the ledge (in range of utilt), go for the ledgesnap (you're safe, and still might hit), or double jump away (you're safe).

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
but at the price of getting punished horribly if you don't know how and when to use it.
Actually, there are a lot of characters that can only "Light Punish" it, if not used in an optimal situation.

The same cannot be said about Warlock Punch, which all characters can "Heavy Punish" with ease.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Actually, there are a lot of characters that can only "Light Punish" it, if not used in an optimal situation.

The same cannot be said about Warlock Punch, which all characters can "Heavy Punish" with ease.
Huh, always thought it could be easily punished.
What kind of punishes are considered lightly punishing the kick?

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
It has huge coverage but actually not too long of endlag so the opponent either has to risk punishing before hand, or wait for the move to finish, in which case they need to cover a lot of distance very quickly. A light punish would be a quick, light hit that doesn't set up for much, i.e. some DAs or projectiles. Obviously don't do it to Samus if she's got a charge shot ready to blow, or to quick characters that could start a combo easily from a timed aerial like Sheik.

Corgi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corgi-of-Time
I have nothing to add that hasn't been said already, but as an edge guard tool it works surprisingly well on the likes of Mac, Cloud, and Falcon because of their inability to snap to the ledge/ extended hurtboxes/ slow animations.

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
In doubles your partner canhit you to cancel up tilt. Obviosly not on FG, because of the no friendly fire. However, in terms of usefulness with a partner it can be incorporated in some interesting ways.

Even just camping by pacman's fire hydrant makes Ganon mobile during his pose. Sadly it lacks the super armor of warlock punch.

I've seen people go for throws into it or even get behind him and walk to push him into range. At first it seemed like a novelty. Now I know better.

If you just NEED to make up tilt useful start playing doubles and practice certain setups. Play by tourney rules. Hell you might appreciate Ganon more in doubles in general. I sure do.

DatGanonDoe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3669-2463-7192
Granted, I'm in a pretty low tier (60% win rate over 10,000 matches), but I play Ganon exclusively and use his utilt all the time with pretty good results. It's my favorite move no question.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
The move basically sums up Ganon. If you were told not to use that move, that person should have also told you to not play Ganon. It’s your job to send nay sayers to the shadow realm with everything at your disposal.

Next you’ll tell me I shouldn’t eat % for taunting at the right moment... pfft

1FC0

Smash Lord
The one where he charges for a second and then unleashes a powerful Volcano Kick.
I am not sure which of his Utilts you mean. Is this the one where he has that windbox? Or is it one of the other ones?

Top Bottom