• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf will be a good character.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
We don't know if anyone in brawl got changed badly for the worse; the game came out in January. Why are so many people judging ganon based on what they know about melee and a buncha videos of crappy ganon players. Like in melee there will probably be counters in brawl, and some characters will probably be better than others, but did you forget that skill is actually a factor in smash. After brawl has been out long enough for ganon players to become skilled at this game, not melee, and they say he sucks, then he sucks.
Skills VS characters? That's a false debate.

And what the hell is your sig supposed to mean?

flashfox

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to rewrite what I wrote in the other thread.

If you don't have what it takes to main Ganondorf then get out of these threads, honestly. Pessimism doesn't help anyone, and it shows a coward right away.

I'd rather charge headfirst into certain death, knowing I'm giving it my all, than to be a coward. Its a personal choice that nobody can tell me is wrong. So if you can't understand that, get out.

Ganondorf is my main.

~Shin_Ganondorf~
Right, you have no idea what charging into sure death with all the information possible will do to make sure that you do the most damage possible. If you don't understand that, get out.

You may call me a coward, but my ability to survive and reproduce favor me for natural selection.

You have NO right to tell me that I should live my life and my way of ganondorf the same way you view Ganondorf. So don't try to kick me out of threads. If you can't see the hubris in your post, maybe my retyping of it will make it clearer to you.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Right, you have no idea what charging into sure death with all the information possible will do to make sure that you do the most damage possible. If you don't understand that, get out.

You may call me a coward, but my ability to survive and reproduce favor me for natural selection.

You have NO right to tell me that I should live my life and my way of ganondorf the same way you view Ganondorf. So don't try to kick me out of threads. If you can't see the hubris in your post, maybe my retyping of it will make it clearer to you.
Hey guys... guys...

Guys, it's a game. Relax a little.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Hoping ganon will be good, I hear from some early character impressions that he is still a good tech chaser.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Haha, the two guys above. "I'd rather charge headlong into battle and face certain death for my beliefs!" "It's my life and I'll live it with Ganon how I see fit!" This isn't an afternoon soap on Telemundo - Christ, there HAS to be a better cause to live or die for than Smash Bros. :D ... :| Or is there?

Catmunnies

Smash Apprentice
Skills VS characters? That's a false debate.
What's a false debate? Do you not believe that some characters in melee were better than others, or do you think that the character you play as decide the battle more so than skill does? Really, saying that one character is better than the other is just an opinion, but here's something that's not an opinion; skill is a factor in smash. If it's pro vs pro battle and one person has a low tier character and the other has a high tier character, the person playing the low tier may be at a disadvantege, but he can still win, if the gap between him and his opponent is big enough, he get's lucky, or his fighting style counters his opponents fighting style. If you disagree with that, it doesn't matter, because again, it's not an opinion.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
What's a false debate? Do you not believe that some characters in melee were better than others, or do you think that the character you play as decide the battle more so than skill does? Really, saying that one character is better than the other is just an opinion, but here's something that's not an opinion; skill is a factor in smash. If it's pro vs pro battle and one person has a low tier character and the other has a high tier character, the person playing the low tier may be at a disadvantege, but he can still win, if the gap between him and his opponent is big enough, he get's lucky, or his fighting style counters his opponents fighting style. If you disagree with that, it doesn't matter, because again, it's not an opinion.
I'm not even gonna argue, I know it's useless. They'll never understand...

*cries*

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
I used ganon and did not feel slow

I used his Uair and Bair most, his Dair is too slow for anything other than edgeguarding, samegoes for his Fair...I even managed to use his Warlock Punch

His recover does suck...you cant jumb after a wizards foot anymore

Catmunnies

Smash Apprentice
I'm not even gonna argue, I know it's useless. They'll never understand...

*cries*
Understand what? I really have know idea what you're disagreeing with? I don't think you understood my first post on this thread. What I was trying to say was that if the player sucks then character sucks. How are we going tell if a character is good or not, if we're all n00bs, and that includes people who already own the game, because brawl hasn't even been out for a whole month yet.

McgDynasty

Smash Rookie
Thank god im not the only one who thinks that he is still good i just played Brawl yesterday and i used Ganon.He may be a bit slower but he packs one hell of a punch. His Final Smash is dece as well. Im going to enjoy running that monster:p im going to main ike then my sub characters are Snake, Ganon and Link and any other characters i pick up along the way.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
Hell yea! And that's coming from cosmo!

Wait... you are the cosmo right?
Lol, "the" Cosmo. I've only played the game once so far, I'm not really good at it yet, I'm still using way too many melee strategies, I got some new ideas though that I'll try out soon.

also I dont think ganon will be a good character in the end, I just feel the captain is horribly awful.

~Shin~

Smash Apprentice
The only reason I stated that was for these reasons. I'm being honest here.

I was upset because of work (yay) and I vented my frustrations, I apologize.

What I didn't like was this, I read a lot of posts dissing, and bringing Ganondorf down as a character. These are opinions that anyone can have, however. Do you like it when somebody next to you disses something you love ? Takes an idea you respect and just throws it into the dirt? And if its your friend, or a friend of a friend? It hurts, doesn't it.

Well, I was a little ticked, and the fact is, this is how I saw it.

If you bash something, and keep bashing it, what do you gain? What are you doing by tearing down something like Ganondorf, a character that people like to play. You don't gain anything, you spread a paranoia that may not be true. And you also flaunt in the face of people who love the character, like me.

I'm a person who doesn't give up.
Ganondorf was high tier in brawl, but in tournaments he was low or bottom tier and thats because everyone played TOP tier, and ONLY top tier. I knew I would lose every big tournament, but I kept trying. I wrote a 27 page guide on Ganondorf, early on, won a few tournaments, and continued on to be one of the best Ganondorfs around. I didn't give up and people respected me as a Ganondorf player.

heres what Kyle said at a tournament
Somebody walked up to me and remarked to Kyle. Heh.. he plays Ganon. he said it in a way as if saying "i'll never get anywhere" and kyle said "Hey, he's got heart. More hear than you will ever have."

Do I give up? Hell no.
So when you see somebody like me, playing Ganondorf, and GAnondorf is a bad character in melee or Brawl, are you going to come up to me and tell me my character sucks? No, because you should know its like pointing yourself out as an honorless f**k. Do people like that exist in the world? There are a dime a dozen. What do I think about them?

They have their own opinions, they can do what they want.

On the fifth day of work, where your understaffed for three hours and your manager scolds you because he's angry and can't take it? ... yea, my tongue gets a little lose.

If you don't like Ganon, fine. I respect your right to share your opinion. But I don't have to listen to your garbage, I don't have to listen to your downtalking. Why don't you bring something up instead of tearing something down. Do you follow?

About three years ago I talked with my friend and I had this exact problem. I freaked out...

because you know what. This was my friend, who said I hurt his feelings by sharing my opinion... I was like, .. holy crap, I just offended my best friend by just saying how I felt... How can I .. still share my opinion, but, not hurt people?

Its a hard lesson in life. I'm not all the way there, but i'm trying.

deebz435

Smash Journeyman

What I didn't like was this, I read a lot of posts dissing, and bringing Ganondorf down as a character. These are opinions that anyone can have, however. Do you like it when somebody next to you disses something you love ? Takes an idea you respect and just throws it into the dirt? And if its your friend, or a friend of a friend? It hurts, doesn't it.

If you bash something, and keep bashing it, what do you gain? What are you doing by tearing down something like Ganondorf, a character that people like to play. You don't gain anything, you spread a paranoia that may not be true. And you also flaunt in the face of people who love the character, like me.

Ganondorf was high tier in brawl, but in tournaments he was low or bottom tier and thats because everyone played TOP tier, and ONLY top tier. I knew I would lose every big tournament, but I kept trying. I wrote a 27 page guide on Ganondorf, early on, won a few tournaments, and continued on to be one of the best Ganondorfs around. I didn't give up and people respected me as a Ganondorf player.

Somebody walked up to me and remarked to Kyle. Heh.. he plays Ganon. he said it in a way as if saying "i'll never get anywhere" and kyle said "Hey, he's got heart. More hear than you will ever have."

Do I give up? Hell no.
So when you see somebody like me, playing Ganondorf, and GAnondorf is a bad character in melee or Brawl, are you going to come up to me and tell me my character sucks? No, because you should know its like pointing yourself out as an honorless f**k. Do people like that exist in the world? There are a dime a dozen. What do I think about them?

On the fifth day of work, where your understaffed for three hours and your manager scolds you because he's angry and can't take it? ... yea, my tongue gets a little lose.

If you don't like Ganon, fine. I respect your right to share your opinion. But I don't have to listen to your garbage, I don't have to listen to your downtalking. Why don't you bring something up instead of tearing something down. Do you follow?

About three years ago I talked with my friend and I had this exact problem. I freaked out...

because you know what. This was my friend, who said I hurt his feelings by sharing my opinion... I was like, .. holy crap, I just offended my best friend by just saying how I felt... How can I .. still share my opinion, but, not hurt people?

QFT, Shin I could not have said any of that better myself. This speaks to more than the people you are trying to get the message to, everybody could learn from this.

triforceswordmaster

Smash Apprentice
ok, i like ganon too, i think he'll be decent and fun to use. i also don't like it when people diss ganon. but i don't freak. christ, hes just a character. in a video game. however, shin, i do repect your gaming intelligence.

Sajun88

Smash Apprentice

Do I give up? Hell no.

I know exactly how you feel man. I played Jigglypuff for like 2 years during Melee's reign and the whole time people laughed at me, but I kept on. I ever got to go to any tournaments but the people that I did play against soon learned not to laugh just because of my character choice.

I get really tired of people talking about tiers in Brawl. There are no freaking tiers! Every character is balanced in every single way, they all have pros and cons but none of them have just pros, and Yoshi, DK, and Jigglypuff don't have just cons. It gets really old hearing people yap about that when it isn't true.

So thanks for your post it's the same thing I've been trying to tell people forever.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I know exactly how you feel man. I played Jigglypuff for like 2 years during Melee's reign and the whole time people laughed at me, but I kept on. I ever got to go to any tournaments but the people that I did play against soon learned not to laugh just because of my character choice.

I get really tired of people talking about tiers in Brawl. There are no freaking tiers! Every character is balanced in every single way, they all have pros and cons but none of them have just pros, and Yoshi, DK, and Jigglypuff don't have just cons. It gets really old hearing people yap about that when it isn't true.

So thanks for your post it's the same thing I've been trying to tell people forever.
I know you just said you're tired of people talking about tiers, but I feel like I must tell you this...

Jigglypuff was one of the best characters in Melee. :) In fact, the most recent and last big Melee tournament, Pound3, was won by Mango, a Jigglypuff player.

~Shin~

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and as for the whole "its just a game." argument. I know where your coming from. I used to say that a lot.

I don't anymore though.

I'm a sales person for a hardware store, and I love my job. I LOVE helping people with their needs; qualifying them for their product, asking them what they think of a product they've tried, and working with them on rebuilding their entire house from the ground up.

Is that something that I can get emotional over?

Well, when I started thinking about everything in general... anything I do with my time is worth my time. Its worth my love and hate, and also worth my expression.

I think getting upset and emotional over a video game is very just. When I play this game, my time and money, my emotions go into this game. I compare this game to some of my earlier competative sports. Sparing with padded weapons was a big one for me. Infact I still have the swords in the back of my car. You can get very emotional if you fight a master and your a beginner.

Good sport and poor sport are part of your characters, which we can learn through competition.

When somebody gets upset about the game, I don't make them feel worse, I try to ask them questions and understand from their point of view.

At one tournament I had a friend that didn't do well in a tournament scene. They got downtrodden (wow, that a word?) and were getting upset about tiers and all. I took them away from the scene and just hung out and talked.

Just being friends is important.

Competition, and competative sports are very useful for looking inward. If you have a problem with losing, your friends will know before you know.

We can learn a lot about ourselves through competition. And we can better ourselves.

In Oregon, we try to set the stage for a VERY friendly environment, I am part of that. I guess through sharing that, you can understand why i'm trying to overal get people to talk positive, uplifting things. (even though I didn't do a good example early early on. Everyone has their limits, and I know we all understand that.)

~Shin_Ganondorf~

---yay smash boards is back up

I'm definitely liking Ganondorf after learning how to play him somewhat in Melee. He's an absolute BEAST. Hitting people with his moves is just so satisfying. That said, I hope he retains his beastly ways in Brawl, if not improves. And I stand by my claim that he and Marth have the best Final Smashes in the game.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Heh, I reallly hope he doesn't suck, but afer hearing nothing but negativity from most high level players that I know, I have my doubts.

I'm very hopeful though, I really love his new design. You have to think, some charactersare going to really suck in Brawl, that's just the nature of fighting games. Of course, we have to figure who does and doesn't suck, but he along with Ike and a few other characters are under alot of pressure.

Or the game could be completely balanced and low tiers will only be slightly less awesome than the high tiers.

@Dark Paladin...He doesn't play the wayhe does in Melee, and it's the Ganon pros that are calling him out.

>_> lurk moar

triforceswordmaster

Smash Apprentice
yeah shin, i hear where you're coming from. i was a little pissed when i heard ganon got nerfed. however, he looks like he can be pretty good. i've been practicing as bowser in preparation for his apparent new slowness. guys, don't sweat it, he'll be fine. even if he turns out to be a non competitive character, hey, he still looks cool and his over b and FS are sweet. no matter what, he'll be fun to use.

MeLeo

Smash Cadet
ZOMG, check out this video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ldQmo3JBR0&feature=PlayList&p=E2491865F54AC855&index=103

Throughout the match, the Ganon player quickly spams (what i guess are auto-cancelled) SH Dairs! ZOMG!
I've never seen any other Brawl Ganon video like this. WOW. Can this be REAL!?

Look at 1:09!!! He Dairs Ike and auto-cancels.
Look at 1:09 - 1:14!!! Right after he Dair kills Ike, he hops around Dairing like a rabbit and ends with a DSmash!!!

Is this video for real!? Can Ganon do this with his other aerials if timed just right? If so, Ganondorf just got a whole lot better.

Magus420

Smash Master
As long as you start the aerial right as you leave the ground for a shorthop I'm pretty sure you can do that with all of his airs except f-air. While there's no landing lag you still have to consider the time between when it hits and when you land, which is still 'lag' basically. In most cases there's enough of it to be able to see and react to the aerial coming out and get in fast enough as he lands.

If you can get enough air control with it I can see it being good when next to someone where you'd be able to do it, and in case they shield it be able to pull back out of shieldgrab range and then like jab/d-tilt/forward-B/SH u-air or something when you land.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
First off, I'd like to say I'm not a Ganon player at all. Never really was my style at all or anything, but I always played against a ganon main (Renth) so I know pretty much all the tricks of how to play him.

In my opinion, in brawl, I think Ganon is gonna have a good ground game. His aerials are good and all, but they have huge lag if you mess up with them. His specials are actually looking vastly improved (with the exception of his down-b no longer giving his jump back...) but on the flip side, your Up-B recovery has actually been kinda buffed, since it seems to go higher, faster, AND best of all, it'll hit them at the end of it if they're near the ledge. I think that's going to prove very useful.

Anyway, good luck to all you ganon players, hope he turns out for the best!

Edit: Off topic, but Magus, I've seen your signature for like, a year now, and still have no clue wtf it's about. Just throwing that out there.

~Shin~

Smash Apprentice
luls, I know what you mean. Me and my roomies keep looking at it going "wtf IS that!?"

<3 magy

~Shin_Ganondorf~

triforceswordmaster

Smash Apprentice
yeah timat, his smash attacks come out faster now and his foward smash is supposed to be stronger. it looks like some of us might have to change our ganon strategy.

Pistbag

Smash Cadet
I'm going Ganon in a tournament tomorrow. After watching most of the Ganon videos on youtube I can conclude: don't use dair unless for punishment or edgeguard. Full jump bairs/dairs work pretty well. I should try and avoid short hopping aerials since they have more lag time now thats there is no l-canceling, spacing with dj bair/dair would do. You can tech chase with his forward b and also have the option to land jab after. My main offense will probably be trying to punish my opponent with as much shield grabs as possible because his forward b can now shield grab and up-b out of shield. I'll see how well I'll do with this and post results.

Shrunk!!!

Smash Cadet
Mooresville, North Carolina (aka boring as hell)
Lol, "the" Cosmo. I've only played the game once so far, I'm not really good at it yet, I'm still using way too many melee strategies, I got some new ideas though that I'll try out soon.

also I dont think ganon will be a good character in the end, I just feel the captain is horribly awful.
Don't put yourself down. From all the videos i've seen of you, you play a great Ganon.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Anyone who thinks that Ganondorf sucks now is just wrong. People sucked with Ganon at first because he is a COMPLETE different character. When I first played him, almost none of my attacks connected. Then I got used to it and now Ganondorf is one of my best characters again. His dash attack is da pwnz. ;)

Top Bottom