• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf 2.1-3.0 Video Archive [Closed]

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Are you talking about when the Fox side B'd onto the stage and I opted to stomp? I hard read that recovery, maybe I should've just done an insta aerial side B and took him off the stage

CORY

wut
BRoomer
no, the last stock of game 2, where you landed a stomp near the ledge and didn't chokeslam (i can't remember what you opted for instead...)

like, in my heart, i was all "IT'S HAPPENING!!!!!!!" then you just beat fox's face in normally, which is cool, too. but not as flashy : p

Nevermind

Smash Cadet
Vs. Mewtwo (match starts at 1:08)

Could I get a bit of critique on this match? I realize I made a couple of really stupid decisions with my specials that kept the set closer than it should've been; but outside of that, how would you guys suggest I improve?

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
no, the last stock of game 2, where you landed a stomp near the ledge and didn't chokeslam (i can't remember what you opted for instead...)

like, in my heart, i was all "IT'S HAPPENING!!!!!!!" then you just beat fox's face in normally, which is cool, too. but not as flashy : p
I atoned for this and won a crucial game against a Ness player in a MM by stomping him on a battlefield platform and aerial chokeslamming him off the stage. I have made it a big part of my game when I have a lead now haha

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice

Bazkip

Smash Master
There's a regional tourney this weekend for which I want to fully prepare, so I was hoping some of you could look over this set (it's relatively short - only two matches) and give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong. Thanks! ^^

Nevermind (Ganon) vs. Vorosh (Mewtwo / Sheik)
Don't Wiz Foot while recovering close to the stage like you did at 2:56, I know it feels safe and you want your jump back but it's so easy to punish and that's exactly what happened there, it costed you the stock.
Similarly, don't SideB onto the stage unless you're certain you're gonna get it (IE: When they've committed to some action), at one point in game two you did that when he was just standing still far from the ledge.
You also threw out a couple of random dairs, not something you really want to just toss out in the neutral. It's mainly used for punishing.

Your movement is really solid and you put in a good effort, those matchups are really tough so you just need to be able to significantly outplay your opponents to win. Or wait for 3.5 lol.

Also unrelated but whoever's running the stream needs to fix that mic, sounds like the boost is way too high, clipping like crazy. They should also be deinterlacing the video.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
There's a regional tourney this weekend for which I want to fully prepare, so I was hoping some of you could look over this set (it's relatively short - only two matches) and give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong. Thanks! ^^

Nevermind (Ganon) vs. Vorosh (Mewtwo / Sheik)
don't have too much on this, i didn't see any glaringly obvious issues.

but, first: those commentators were pretty bad.

second: the biggest thing i noticed is you seemed to like to aerial wizkick a lot. there were some times that it didn't feel like it would be safe to do, and (especially 2nd game) it felt like you were throwing it out as a panic move to try and get back to the ground quickly, which isn't a very good plan, especially if it's predictable or the opponent isn't currently busy with something else.

Bazkip

Smash Master
but, first: those commentators were pretty bad.
Please don't do this, it adds nothing to the conversation and, as a commentator, being told that feels bad man.

Give feedback so that @ Nevermind Nevermind may relay it to them or don't say anything at all.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Ganondorf Videos? Where art thou?

Since there is no place thread to post Gannondorf videos I've turned this into an archive for them
Please help contribute!

I just thought you might love this Ganondorf video.
I've been working on creating legitimate move sets and lists to Turbo Mode for all Characters, and Ganondorf is byfar one of the greatest threats in Turbo Mode for many reasons. Here is a list of NON-INFINITE combos, REAL combos, combos that ACTUALLY work against moving characters and competitive opponents:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfRGfJvhJkU
Like I said, thought you might enjoy this one a lot.

bandi

Smash Cadet
Good Day Gentlemen!

Haven't beein here for a long time.
I read the Ganon Forum is healthy and alife, good to see that.

Just a few days ago a friend brought back a game capture card and we started streaming. There's still much to be done about the stream, however we're slowly but steadily upgrading it.

We did some (very) late night freeplay and weren't really sober but we've had a somehow cool match. Please take a look at it :D.
http://www.twitch.tv/tlr_sam/c/5195979

We're not a really big Project M community in Austria but we have some really good players. I'd be quite awesome if ya old Gerudo lot could occasionally take a glance at the stream.

Feedback is much appreciated!

CORY

wut
BRoomer
oh, i do that, too. sometimes i raise a fist in victory. this is more for new ways to crush their spirit if it's a game winning ganoncide.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Had an...interesting set yesterday
Lots of weird **** ups

Also how edgeguard Lucario

Last edited:

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, you can go for the dair spike (it usually feels really delayed), or keep hitting them away with the tip of up air (might only work on his up-b).

CORY

wut
BRoomer
against lucario, uair seems to work quite well, due to it's spread helping to deal with the speed he moves. if you can get a solid read on where he'll be, bair and fair would be better options, due to power. i wouldn't dair, unless he's coming in from a really low angle. it takes too long to come out and if lucario has any options on recovery, it gets pretty difficult to time and space dair properly.

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
Oh man... I hope you guys dont mind some AI practice. I actually just went to my first PM event last week and had a friggin blast, and as it turns out I think I might have a secret love for Ganon. I need to space out with my nair more, that I already know. AND I ****ed up what would have been an otherwise fairly clean 4stock. But I'd love some tips to improve my general play with him.

The only other character I play 'seriously' is Roy and I find that there's a lot of overlap between the two, so that's why you see me constantly fishing for dairs/fairs. But when you're playing bots, how can you not!?
(P.S. sorry again for posting me vs. AI- I know that's not much fun and if it ****s up the thread I'll be sure not to do it again. But you got to admit- that DK had some serious balls to stare me down so hard. Thanks again for any advice!)

Last edited:

Stalled

Smash Apprentice
^You need to aerial flame choke more often instead of the grounded one, since the former has guaranteed followups. You also need to flame choke less in general, It's not too big of a deal against a donkey kong bot but thats something that could cost a stock every time its whiffed.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
@ Charmilio Charmilio how much human experience do you have? playing against cpu's can work, but you need to have a good idea about how humans would normally want to react, and all the viable options out of setups and situations. i think one of the clash tourney guys has a video on shadow boxing, which is basically that.

your basic tech skill looked solid, though. just keep shining that up and learn timings for platform wl's and sh-bair/uair-wl, since those will be generally useful, but you don't want to miss them ever ;x (ok, sh-bair/uair-wl isn't so bad to miss, but if you're aiming to do it and you flub, it's a big missed opprotunity...)

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
^You need to aerial flame choke more often instead of the grounded one, since the former has guaranteed followups.
Yeah, I usually just get the jitters and input the side-b a second too fast and SD like I did in that set. Whenever I'm in friendlies I get a little too greedy with the chokes and try to chain them super hard- it's only ever gone well like once. But I appreciate the advice; it didn't even cross my mind to follow up with an aerial.

@ Charmilio Charmilio how much human experience do you have? playing against cpu's can work, but you need to have a good idea about how humans would normally want to react, and all the viable options out of setups and situations.
Yeah, going to a live event showed me that. I do play netplay semi-regularly, and my buddy actually just got set up so we'll be able to spar more often. I know bots are pretty unreliable practice, but I enjoy having a moving target. I practice in training mode pretty often but when they just stand still it's arguably even more annoying to train with.

WLs are something I need to get more consistent at I think, ESP with playing Roy/Ike and all. Ganon has a comparitively delayed jump (really close to Ike's, actually) so I have to adjust accordingly. I also want to work on ledge cancelling my down-b into a shffl'd air move but I think that's gonna need some more work. Thanks for the advice! (And trust me, I've missed uairs more than I'd like to admit- I'm not so sure how safe they are but I love the range they cover)

CORY

wut
BRoomer
oh, uairs are really good : p they're also pretty safe, afaik. they auto cancel absurdly quick after the hitbox stops, too, so you can almost be safe with a reverse uair hitting at the last few frames then auto cancelling and using the range to roll or something to get away from grabs (or if you crossed up, doing goofy stuff like close range autocancel uair into utilt, using the reverse hit to catch them trying to do something to you and pulling them into the stomp).

and i was asking about the human experience, because you don't want to use comps as anything other than moving targets. if that's really all you use them for, though, then you're doing good. just don't want you to develop bad habits in regards to cpu stupidity because that will hamper you really bad against people ;x

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
^You need to aerial flame choke more often instead of the grounded one, since the former has guaranteed followups. You also need to flame choke less in general, It's not too big of a deal against a donkey kong bot but thats something that could cost a stock every time its whiffed.
and i was asking about the human experience, because you don't want to use comps as anything other than moving targets. if that's really all you use them for, though, then you're doing good. just don't want you to develop bad habits in regards to cpu stupidity because that will hamper you really bad against people ;x
don't mean to spam the thread, but this happened after me and my friend streamed some practice. Talk about bad habits.
thank god I watched that stuff on b-reversing.

Last edited:

Stalled

Smash Apprentice
lol, but yea, instead of jumping away after every aerial flamechoke you can follow up with an attack most of the time (there's a way to di out). Against zss probably only a jab, but maybe a down angled ftilt or a dtilt. At some percents the jab sets up for a shffl fair which would be the kill.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Video dump incoming:

Video from the 8/14 ePG Monthly:

vs. Bladewise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA9XNEjGxUc&

Videos from the 8/30 ePG Weekly:

vs. AKI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiG2Dz4Qvno&
vs. Vish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVker3Ho6Wk&

Videos from the 9/16 ePG Weekly:

vs. Punk Panda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iYUj-GI8Do&
vs. Chevy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op2C3ARU_DQ&

None of these are particularly notable, and I haven't gotten much footage recently. Not to mention the matches I mentioned forever ago (against [P4K] Big D and [P4K] Firefly, as well as the Another Castle stuff) have yet to be uploaded. So, uh, yeah, not much of an update, but here you go.

As always, critiques are much appreciated.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Er, was that footage from forever ago saved anywhere off Twitch? Cause if it wasn't, and "forever ago" means more than 2 weeks ago like I'm assuming it does, then that stuff is probably gone.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Few things:

try to make use of nair more, especially that first kick. It will always beat Falcon's in a nair war. It sets up a sick tech chase.

be a little more careful about using your double jump to escape tumbling, veteran players like Vish are good at reading those and punishing.

I saw you going for the dthrow cg, you probably would've gotten it if you jc grabbed. I generally prefer up throw - the straight upwards trajectory minimizes the influence of DI and you get such insane follow ups.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
vs aki:
something you might have noticed near the end of the set, but you always buffered a roll backwards. aki definitely did and started to run further before grabbing, or otherwise punishing, you.

in general, you seem to favor rolling backwards when you feel your pressure game is over, but it's not terribly often. i just feel like if the odds were being played, backwards roll would be slightly favored. you also seem to go for more random wizkicks when you're in last stock, loss of control situations.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Er, was that footage from forever ago saved anywhere off Twitch? Cause if it wasn't, and "forever ago" means more than 2 weeks ago like I'm assuming it does, then that stuff is probably gone.
Oh yeah, forgot about all that Twitch nonsense. Yup, footage is gone forever, ugh...

Few things:

try to make use of nair more, especially that first kick. It will always beat Falcon's in a nair war. It sets up a sick tech chase.

be a little more careful about using your double jump to escape tumbling, veteran players like Vish are good at reading those and punishing.

I saw you going for the dthrow cg, you probably would've gotten it if you jc grabbed. I generally prefer up throw - the straight upwards trajectory minimizes the influence of DI and you get such insane follow ups.
Yeah, a lot of **** ups in that set. I choked at the end of game two and three so hard, ha.

Maybe I'm not applying it as correctly as I should, but I feel like I actually trade nairs with Falcon quite often when the game devolves into nair wars, which tends to put Ganon in a worse position than it does for Falcon, at least at low-mid percents. Either way, definitely something I'll have to look into.

vs aki:
something you might have noticed near the end of the set, but you always buffered a roll backwards. aki definitely did and started to run further before grabbing, or otherwise punishing, you.

in general, you seem to favor rolling backwards when you feel your pressure game is over, but it's not terribly often. i just feel like if the odds were being played, backwards roll would be slightly favored. you also seem to go for more random wizkicks when you're in last stock, loss of control situations.
You're definitely correct. It was something I had noticed during the set actually, yet I couldn't bring myself to change my ways for whatever reason. Other Ness players must let me get away with it, because the backwards roll feels sooooo right, ha.

Also, Hail Mary Wiz Kicks are a really terrible vice. Don't go down that path, kids.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
you honestly seem to catch your bad habits pretty quickly, but you'll still engage in one or two instances of something when it starts to go south, before you see what you're doing and stop : p so, you have good cognizance of the situations when you put yourself into them. i guess it's just something for you to watch out for when you feel yourself losing control.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
The Another 62-bit tournament footage was not lost, but was in fact uploaded onto an alternate account as a few bulk videos in order to avoid the Twitch wipe.

So, uh, footage!

vs. Gimpyfish62: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AI3VgqFg7k#t=1h5m30s
vs. Bladewise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AI3VgqFg7k#t=1h41m
vs. Hostility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQ4lWGkkLA#t=12m30s
vs. Gimpyfish62: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQ4lWGkkLA#t=46m10s
vs. Bladewise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQ4lWGkkLA#t=1h1m40s

Honestly, a lot of my play looks a little gross to me now, since I've incorporated a lot more waveland tech into my game since this tournament, but footage is footage. As always, critiques are much appreciated (though this footage is old, so it may not be as relevant now).

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
so, you don't seem to use ftilt much at all. you seemed to start using it very much against gimpy in your second set with him, when you were basically just styling everywhere, then you seemed to be using it to space stuff you thought was going to come from bladwise (second set as well), but not really getting hits with it.

i always thought of it as ganon's best move, but am i overrating it? i ask because you're clearly a much better player than i am : o

Top Bottom