• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf 2.1-3.0 Video Archive [Closed]

Bazkip

Smash Master
Here's a couple of matches from our weekly today

VS another Ganon (he got shreked. Sorta)
Ignore the failed ledge cancels >_>

VS Bidoof (I got shreked :c)

Edit: If you leave feedback, post some for Firzen as well, here comes by here too.

Last edited:

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace

Bazkip

Smash Master
Videos from the 7/29 ePG weekly:

vs. Silent Wolf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF7bJiIcFkQ
vs. Vincessantly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzXEcTbPIIc
vs. Blu2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IirHHylcqic
vs. #FreeToby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UgICvvVn44

I have some good ones from the 62-bit Gaming Another Castle tournament and today's GameClucks that have yet to be uploaded, so be prepared for that. As always, critiques are greatly appreciated.
That bair jab was so beautiful

Last edited:

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Videos from the 8/5 ePG weekly:

vs. Bladewise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ_K0Q21hKM
vs. Hostility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRa-8tdsY1M

Videos from the Another Castle tournament should be coming soon. Unfortunately though, videos from the last GameClucks are apparently lost to the internet. Which sucks, because I managed some big upsets over P4K's Big D and Firefly that I was hoping to watch again/show off. Oh well.

As always, critiques are much appreciated.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i can't critique your gameplay too much, but i'm curious why you went yoshi's story in g3 vs hostility, rather than green warlock zone. was the train of thought "get that smaller stage for easier kills"? i think i would've snap picked ghz if it went unbanned, but maybe it's way better for falco than it is for ganon and i'm just not in the know.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I can't speak for Headcrab, but I like having platforms against Falco. They help me deal with lasers better. I know that Falco players like them for combos as well, but I figure that you're going to get combo'd in this matchup a lot anyways, so you might as well have some platforms to help deal with lasers.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I took Hostility to FD game one because I wanted to experiment and see if my powershielding/chain grab was good enough to counteract his natural affinity for the stage (my favorite stage in the matchup is Smashville, normally).

This was a bad idea, though game one worked out for me somehow.

As for game three, I pretty much just wanted to play on Yoshi's, should've gone to Ganon Hill Zone though.

Last edited:

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I finally got some tournament Ganon matches recorded!

S@PP Weekly WFs: SCG|FlashingFire (Snake, Ganon) vs Eggman (Luigi) -- I went G-dorf in games 3 and 4.
S@PP Weekly GFs: SCG|FlashingFire (Ganon, Snake, Marth) vs Eggman (Snake, Luigi) -- G-dorf in games 1-4 and 7-9.

Eggman is an extremely patient and stubborn player with a Brawl background. I really don't like playing against Luigi (a hard-to-punish character with great ground control) as Snake (a character whose main strength is his punish game and likes to stay on the ground), so I went Ganon to win the spacing game and get some guaranteed follow-ups out of Flame Choke and Jab. From rewatching the matches myself, I noticed that Eggman started to anticipate my Flame Chokes and Wiz Kicks, which netted him a lot of free damage and KOs. Also, Luigi Cyclone is a MASSIVE pain in the butt to deal with. Great priority, great speed, great combo starter, and my only reliable punish was Uair out of shield. It's really annoying to successfully punish the cyclone only to have Luigi rev another one up immediately. I probably could've handled the fireball spam better, too.

Any additional feedback is appreciated!

CORY

wut
BRoomer
in the first vid, you started edgehogging game3, to force luigi to recover more on your terms, but kinda stopped. i think if you had supplemented that more with u/bair edgeguards, while edgehogging, it would've made things much simpler for you.

best example i can find is at about 17m10s. you get luigi off the stage, go for the edgehog, and refresh ledge invuln. luigi's clearly within uair's rear range, which has a low angle, and you just keep jumping. if you'd hit him with a uair at least once, you could've forced a much better situation for yourself. i think there were a few examples of this on the drac's game, as well.

overall, it looks like you give luigi a little bit too much leeway when he's recovering offstage. that might be due to lack of knowledge in that matchup and wanting to stay safe, since he got a lot of quick gimp kills on you from light hits at the ledge, but i think it led to a lot more tense situations for you overall.

edit: watching gf's now. holy crap, you make snake look easy. : o

against luigi, it looks like you should work on learning wavelands and sh-bair-wl, to be able to threaten more space at neutral.

a lot of the luigi issues look like it's matchup experience, not knowing when you can and can't follow up on stuff, which i can't help too much with, sadly. don't have any local luigis that i play often.

Last edited:

Kr0sS

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! Name's Kr0sS. I've really only been playing PM for about two months now. Picked up Ganondorf and he has been, by far, my favorite character. I'm not really fond of the high speed, low drag that most of the guys in my area love (especially Astro- he's a local Lucas/Mario/Sonic player and usually my practice partner). These videos here are from the second ever tournament I've been to for anything Smash related.

I know I really need to work on my L-canceling literally -everything-, but any other advice you guys could give would be appreciated greatly.

Kr0sS(Ganondorf) v Tetheta(Marth)

Tetheta is relatively new to Smash, so far as I know. I probably could have played the MU a lot better than I did here.

Kr0sS(Ganondorf) v Vase (Jigglypuff)

I really should have won this set. LAnded lots of flame chokes, but I've never played against a Jigglypuff so I really wasn't sure what to do. Should have followed up with a few Warlock Kicks on her- she's so light that I probably could have killed her a couple times just with that alone.

Appreciate the feedback guys!

EDIT: Also god I look like a fatass.

Last edited:

MerzA

Smash Cadet
Finally got around to recording something again, looking for some harsh critique. (Watch the entire thing!)

I think my tech skill (wavelanding, consistent L-cancels, ledgehop aerials, dacusing and chain grabbing) are starting to get very consistent, but my decision making process is still ****. I feel like if my standard approach isn't working then I'm just left helpless (mostly against characters that trap me in shield)

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
in response to your comments: if you're just now getting very consistent with tech skill, that could still be hampering your mental aspect, since it might still be slightly draining off bits of "mental energy" that could be better used towards the game at hand. otherwise, a lot of it's just going to be grinding out stuff for a good while and figuring out what works where and when and how and all that jazz. gonna watch then i'll comment more on it after that...

edit:
ok, so after the first game it looks like you just had some finger flubs, hard to comment much on that. iirc, you can flame choke a grounded egg roll and win? i could be wrong on this, but it feels like that should be about right? i'll have to wait for confirmation, my setup's not setup so i can't test right now...

overall, i can't comment on major flaws. i don't see anything terribly obvious that you shouldn't be doing, but i would recommend using slightly more side b once you get control of the match. you do a good job of not overextending with random ones in neutral, but once you get control it seems like you could use it to better effect in your mixups.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
and now my turn!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNmNx3YMhZo
tear me a new one! i don't feel bad about this match, i didn't lose to being outranked and i only really lost the second match to stupid misplays.

he also said he'll get the denti ganon ditto up sometime tomorrow, so i'll post that up and you guys can point and laugh at how denti makes me look like i just learned to play smash : D

CORY

wut
BRoomer
and triple posting so everyone can see denti's dorf making me look even scrubbier than usual! : D

Kr0sS

Smash Rookie
From what I can see, especially in that second video, you rely way too much on short hop bairs as an approach tool to the point where you're just hopping around throwing them out in a vague hope that you'll catch something. Denti also caught you a lot just standing there and shielding and punished accordingly with some pretty nasty side-b punishes. I don't think I saw you DACUS at all in either video, so you should try and work that in- especially on lighter characters like Ivysaur that you can't chaingrab. I know it's another thing in the long list of stuff I'm trying to work in to my own gameplay.

The only other thing I can really think of is uair. Use it more. It comes out really quickly and hits in a wide arc around Ganondorf. One of the kills you got on Ivysaur (the one where you bounced him off the side of the stage) was pretty friggin' sweet and a good example of just how kickass Ganondorf's uair is. Work on chain grabbing heavier characters, too. Ganondorf's grab range is so weak that if you actually manage to land one, you need to make it count hardcore. Lucas, Ganondorf, Samus, Marth, etc- you can get all of them up to 50%+ easy with Ganondorf's ability to dthrow chaingrab them, and then you can follow up with a fair or a bair to really send them flying.

All in all, though, you're definitely a pretty good Ganondorf player. Your technical skill is way better than mine is (I can't L-Cancel reliably to save my life), but there are some habits you've formed that can definitely get you in trouble.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Lucas, Ganondorf, Samus, Marth, etc- you can get all of them up to 50%+ easy with Ganondorf's ability to dthrow chaingrab them, and then you can follow up with a fair or a bair to really send them flying.
You can't chaingrab Samus for ****, man. Way too floaty.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
cool. i was noticing the lack of uair after watching them. that's one of the things i'm going to work on next time i lab (namely, doing quick/instant sh uairs without eating my double jump like a dummy...).

i'll watch for relying too much on bair. i think a lot of that was me just getting used to doing sh-bair-wl, so it's stuck in my head really hard. i'll make sure to mix up approach/wall options more, then. i'll also work on moving more, then. didn't think about standing still too much... part of that is that i don't know what to do against ganon. i almost go into total noob mode in the mirror, i'll get all "WHAT! SIDE B GOES THROUGH SHIELDS! HOW DO PEOPLE DEAL WITH ME?"

i don't care much for his dacus. it moves quickly, but the hitboxes just don't take up much space : / i should probably keep an eye out for using it on floaties out of dthrow, but even then i think there're still better options, generally...

and yeah, my one chance to chain grab on ghz, i totally flub it : / i think the other times i figured he would get on a platform/offstage (or he got on the platform/offstage when i thought he wouldn't : /). i'm getting better at reading di and habits for the chaingrab, i just need to practice it and not flub inputs.

the other thing i really noticed was that i waste my double jump a lot. like, jump empty doubljump aaaaaaand... yeah, why'd i do that? or jump-dj-aerial, for no reason. i can't even figure out what's going on in my head to make me want to do that...

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Toon Link has been my main for a bit. But I love fighting: Marth, Mario, Pit, Captain Falcon, and Roy with Ganondorf, and have a very hard time not picking him when I get the chance for those MUs.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Goddamn, I really need to DACUS more as Ganon. Mostly just for floaty matchups where it can combo off of jab. It kills mad early

Bazkip

Smash Master
Vex is 2stronk, though strangely there wasn't much in the way of videos of him until that tourney. There's a few from SKTAR 3 (two doubles one singles) which seemed like not many considering he placed 13th in both singles and doubles. Well, at least we got vids now.

In other news, here's some vids of a local Ganon main. He's pretty good, and always places well. Feel free to give him some feedback here, I'll relay it to him.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Videos from our latest weekly

I got shield grabbed so much urrghhh

This was just bad I suck rip

too hype

Top Bottom