• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf 2.1-3.0 Video Archive [Closed]

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
so, you don't seem to use ftilt much at all. you seemed to start using it very much against gimpy in your second set with him, when you were basically just styling everywhere, then you seemed to be using it to space stuff you thought was going to come from bladwise (second set as well), but not really getting hits with it.

i always thought of it as ganon's best move, but am i overrating it? i ask because you're clearly a much better player than i am : o
I haven't really thought about how often I use it, but I would consider f-tilt to be a (phenomenal) situational move. It's minorly punishable, and in many circumstances against characters who are not gimped/edgeguarded easily, there are moves that yield a higher reward.

That said, it's a great spacing poke, and in any matchup against a lightweight character with poor recovery (spacies and whatnot), it can outright kill (or at least lead to a kill) at mid-high percent.

I should probably work it in more, but I try not to think of good play as "use this move more" or "use that move less." Everything has a time and a place, and you don't want to become predictable. F-tilt is juuuuust punishable enough that it's a move I don't like to throw out willy-nilly unless it will lead to something good, y'know?

GlowingOrangeOoze

Smash Cadet
Headcrab, I've probably watched the combo you got on PunkPanda at 5:23 like 20 times now.
I'd post the link but I don't have 10 posts yet :/
bbl, labbing WLs out of aerials.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Headcrab, I've probably watched the combo you got on PunkPanda at 5:23 like 20 times now.
I'd post the link but I don't have 10 posts yet :/
bbl, labbing WLs out of aerials.
Ha, thanks.

Wavelanding out of aerials opens up a lot of potential for Ganondorf. I highly suggest getting it down as soon as possible.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm not applying it as correctly as I should, but I feel like I actually trade nairs with Falcon quite often when the game devolves into nair wars, which tends to put Ganon in a worse position than it does for Falcon, at least at low-mid percents. Either way, definitely something I'll have to look into.
For some reason I completely forgot about this. The way you do this is you space yourself in Falcon's maximum running SH jump range, maybe closer if you've got quick reactions. This gives you enough time to do a SH of your own in response to his. By the time Falcon is in range to connect with his nair, you are actually either level with him or higher - it's at that point your nair wins and puts him in a really crappy position.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Videos from the weekly, advice is appreciated.

Obviously he was sandbagging me (lol ganon dittos) but I felt I played pretty well here.
Should've won the first match though, messed up an edgeguard (meant to double jump uair offstage but the jump never happened) and he was able to Ganoncide me to bring it back to even, and I played the next stock badly. Probably could've done a bit better against his Wolf too, haven't really played against that character much. Wasn't too bad though. Other than that accidental Warlock Punch blargh.

This was just a total disaster, I didn't know what to do. HE'S SO SMALL AND FAST AND HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO EDGEGUARD THAT ;_;

I really need to stop SDing so much.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
from the wakka vids, you need to learn more when moves allow you to keep a combo going and when it would send too far away. there were a couple instances where you uair'd at a percent that you could've done something like an aerial flame choke and gotten more potential upside (the uair sent too far away to follow up, but not far enough away to set up for an edgeguard), or dtilt rather than ftilt (something i'm trying to work on, too). other than that, it mostly looked like a few flubbed inputs here and there that spelled doom : (

against pika, try more uairs, especially any time you get the rat above you. it should beat out his dair unless pika gets a really good read or you mis-space. and if you can get pika to stay grounded, try for mixing up a bit more with grounded flame choke. it's not as ideal as aerial, followup-wise, but it's faster and longer, so if you're playing a spacing game at neutral with tilts and can get him to shield close to that distance, you should be able to catch him with grounded flame choke into [stuff].

CORY

wut
BRoomer
so, watching the first match, and against fox you shield his wakeup attack and can't grab him.

really, pmdt? REALLY? @Project M pls.

and, yeah, set1 was super chokey : ( you made a few mistakes, but they didn't seem to be really habitual. and, dare i say it, you had g2 in the bag D : something that popped into my head while trying to play vicariously: try rar-uairs when you have someone on a platform, closer to the stage edge? i thought about it when you had his lucas on the left side of bf, knocked down, and you were running up to him. it might send low enough to set up an edgeguard situation (or it just might be way too situational to keep in mind constantly...). you had some really crazy good control in that fox match, though. there was one stock that you just kept him on the platform with uairs and then knocked him off with a bair for the edgeguard setup.

you seem to like dair oos to punish stuff, when nair is generally better, and uair/bair are positionally better (dependant on where the opponent is). in general, actually, you seem to massively underuse nair. fresh, if you ac it, you should actually be +3 on shield (iirc, 2nd hit also does 12 damage. using the simple shield stun calculation, (12+4)/2=8 and ganon's landing animation is 5 frames. 8-5=3, hence, your advantage) which is super super good.

Purple Stuff

Smash Cadet
Bazkip: It's kinda hard to critic a choke set. You're not playing your best when feeling pressured, so you might be doing things that are uncharacteristic of your normal play. Giving advice about things you don't normally do won't help much unfortunately, or at least I believe it won't.

You stepped it up versus fox though. I am curious on why you keep briefly popping into shield after aerials. Is that from L-canceling and holding the button too long? Or a conscious decision? Ganon's shield just feels like a death trap to me. I try and stay out of it as much as I can.

I got some matches of my own here from netplay. They are Ganon vs. Wolf sets. He only just started playing the character apparently, which explains his performance. I don't really know the match-up myself. I've played him once before, against his lucas. Very solid lucas, got stomped out.

The Rest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBo0HOgaRw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L4TR65YmjI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDAeMzwyjvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unqRsPNtBQs

Bazkip

Smash Master
so, watching the first match, and against fox you shield his wakeup attack and can't grab him.

really, pmdt? REALLY? @Project M pls.

and, yeah, set1 was super chokey : ( you made a few mistakes, but they didn't seem to be really habitual. and, dare i say it, you had g2 in the bag D : something that popped into my head while trying to play vicariously: try rar-uairs when you have someone on a platform, closer to the stage edge? i thought about it when you had his lucas on the left side of bf, knocked down, and you were running up to him. it might send low enough to set up an edgeguard situation (or it just might be way too situational to keep in mind constantly...). you had some really crazy good control in that fox match, though. there was one stock that you just kept him on the platform with uairs and then knocked him off with a bair for the edgeguard setup.

you seem to like dair oos to punish stuff, when nair is generally better, and uair/bair are positionally better (dependant on where the opponent is). in general, actually, you seem to massively underuse nair. fresh, if you ac it, you should actually be +3 on shield (iirc, 2nd hit also does 12 damage. using the simple shield stun calculation, (12+4)/2=8 and ganon's landing animation is 5 frames. 8-5=3, hence, your advantage) which is super super good.
I die a little inside everytime I miss a grab when my opponent is directly in front of me.

Cheers for the advice, I do definitely overuse dair in general even though I know it's not ideal. It's just so satisfying to land...going for Bizzarro things I guess lol. I'll try to keep it in mind.

Bazkip: It's kinda hard to critic a choke set. You're not playing your best when feeling pressured, so you might be doing things that are uncharacteristic of your normal play. Giving advice about things you don't normally do won't help much unfortunately, or at least I believe it won't.

You stepped it up versus fox though. I am curious on why you keep briefly popping into shield after aerials. Is that from L-canceling and holding the button too long? Or a conscious decision? Ganon's shield just feels like a death trap to me. I try and stay out of it as much as I can.
I choke so frequently that I kinda do need critic on it, or at least advice on how to avoid choking that much :\

As for the shielding after aerials, it's not on purpose. It's probably cause I autocancelled them unintentionally and then ended up in shield when I tried to l-cancel.

Last edited:

Purple Stuff

Smash Cadet
Netplay versus a Pikachu. Never played against pikachu, Could definitely use some tips. I think I started to adjust second round, but not sure. Not really the analytical type of fighter, mostly go off instinct so I find it hard to adjust in-game.

(Forgot to hit record earlier, so first stock isn't shown. I SD'd at high percent that stock.)

First Match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uY3bQKzzlI

Tips?

Last edited:

GlowingOrangeOoze

Smash Cadet
First off, that jazz you pulled at 1:52 was snazzy AF

My only criticism would be I think you commit very hard and should do a bit more reacting or otherwise taking options with more coverage. e.g., the fair at 1:10, the DACUS at 1:18, or the SH Dair at 1:23. Take that last example: a shield dropping or WD OoS off the plat would've kept more options open for you, but instead you were tantalized by the possibility of electric boots.

idk if it's weird to offer advice without first showing footage of my own play, but I can't post links yet anyway so
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Purple Stuff

Smash Cadet
First off, that jazz you pulled at 1:52 was snazzy AF

My only criticism would be I think you commit very hard and should do a bit more reacting or otherwise taking options with more coverage. e.g., the fair at 1:10, the DACUS at 1:18, or the SH Dair at 1:23. Take that last example: a shield dropping or WD OoS off the plat would've kept more options open for you, but instead you were tantalized by the possibility of electric boots.

idk if it's weird to offer advice without first showing footage of my own play, but I can't post links yet anyway so
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not weird at at all. It's advice coming from a different perspective, so it helps.

Taking note of your advice on reacting more and choosing better options. Something I'll need to work on.

This pikachu kept recovering far into the stage every time he was knocked off. Is that a normal thing with pikachu? Edge guarding him was kinda weird, I had to do it either closer to the center, or I would try to catch him flying by from the edge with a dacus.

GlowingOrangeOoze

Smash Cadet
I haven't played vs. any PM pikachu mains, but given that pika can recover using midair jump and skull bash before resorting to his very long upB, you have to be prepared for all manner of recoveries. Quick Attack can auto sweetspot if aimed at any downward angle, so they can recover safely to the ledge from a lot of positions. Further, if they recover onstage, they still have quick attack cancel to make them less punishable. I'd say pikachu is one of the characters you're least likely to successfully edgeguard unless you manage to get him offstage low.

My advice would be to stay onstage, somewhere between center and the edge, closer to the edge so they don't just recover for free, but back enough that you can punish a careless QAC option like pre-emptive bairs. It's not a glorious strategy, but it keeps stage control in your possession and keeps the possibility of punishing on-stage recoveries or forcing ledge recoveries. Of course, if they get predictable, don't hesitate to give them a face full of that purple stuff.

Last edited:

Purple Stuff

Smash Cadet
New vid against a falcon. Man, I've really taken a liking to ganon's neutral game lately. Been trying to put some theory-craft stuff I worked out in the lab to actual use in-game. Wavelanding off a platform then rushing back in with side-B for the scoop has been pretty legit lately.

Bazkip

Smash Master
This post needs to be here.
Go watch these everyone.
TLDR HERE'S SOME GOOD GANONDORF VIDEOS WATCH GAME 5 VS ISH'S ZSS KTHNX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=outCpJu6rUY#t=18min25s

The above video refuses to acknowledge timestamps. Scroll to 18min25s to skip to the goodies, or just watch the whole set.

For a while there I was the top rated Ganondorf in the world at PM and now I'm not even on there. I can't help but wonder if this is because I have absolutely zero videos posted in this thread therefore people think I don't play at all anymore. On the contrary, PM has been my main game since a year ago and I have either been ranked or competitive with ranked players in all the areas I've lived on the WC from Seattle, to SoCal, NorCal and even this desolate unpopulated hell hole I call my home town of Hanford just south of Fresno where the struggle is real and I drive 3 hours every weekend to find competition. I digress. Point is, even though I play a lot of Falcon now, I am by far the best Ganondorf in PM on the West Coast. Even my pupil I trained, Red Ranger, spanked Bizzarro Flame in money matches TWICE at PM. Bizz is better than either of us at Melee, but we got PM on lock.

The PM Monthlies are hosted by Drex in Fresno at a tea place called Teazers. The last one was called CenCal Rising and was big enough (about 50 entrants) to draw 2 carpools from SoCal, including Aero (one of the best Toon Link's in the country), Kaos (one of the best M2's in the nation) and iPunchKidsz (arguably the best Lucario in the country, 2nd in the world only to Amsa). Anyway, CenCal Rising will become a quarterly regional and I highly recommend people travel to it if possible, as they are excellent tournaments, ran efficiently and smoothly and the generous TO drexbama pays deep, up to 5th place. Here's a link to our upcoming tournament called Don't Teaze Me Bro

https://www.facebook.com/events/263122070478615/?ref=br_tf

Without further ado, here are some videos. Enjoy. Most recent tournament first.

Winner's Quarters PM Monthly #3
Mr. Brandandorf vs a CenCal ranked Marth player called ThatOneOtherDude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuysTcDCm38

Winner's Semis PM Monthly #3
Mr. Brandandorf vs Ish (Lucas) a ranked PM player from NorCal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMbN-78WkyI

Winner's Finals PM Monthly #3
Mr. Brandandorf vs DC (Marth) an old school veteran who used to whip Mango's *** back in teh day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pHwDyJa0qw

Grand Finals PM Monthly #3
Mr. Brandandorf vs Ish (Zero Suit Samus)
Commentary is a couple of newbs, I would just listen to music til game 5...watch game 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=outCpJu6rUY

Tournament match from Fresno's PM Monthly #2
Mr. Brandandorf vs Mexi (Falcon) one of Fresno's Elite Four and top ranked players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD9RLbv2wh8&index=12&list=UUdxtM8FoEgc0jFHscWwxrOA

Loser's Finals Fresno's PM Monthly #2
Mr. Brandandorf vs Obey (Falco) the #1 melee player in CenCal and probably top 3 in PM now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkLf5X4SY58&list=UUdxtM8FoEgc0jFHscWwxrOA&index=11

Grand Finals PM Monthly #2
Mr. Brandandorf vs 2hisofly (Diddy Kong) the #2 ranked player in CenCal behind me, the only person in CenCal to take a set off me in Winner's, but I came back and won the tourney anyway. Used Fox a little bit in this set, but mostly Ganon. Commentary much better at this tourney too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCrNBPdRX3I&list=UUdxtM8FoEgc0jFHscWwxrOA

Gunsmoke Revenge (Large Regional AZ tourney where SoCal showed up in force)

Winner's Finals
Mr. Brandandorf vs Aion (Sonic) Best Sonic on the west coast, we both kinda **** up and SD a lot tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWngmsR-gXw&list=PLUlQZqWo6xoTOJJajeU2MfMO9ITXwz5lq

Winner's Bracket
Mr. Brandandorf (Falcon) vs Kaos (M2) not Ganon I know, but watch the very ending, trust me. Kaos had just beaten Neon right before this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBDBCGwAeLM&index=13&list=PLUlQZqWo6xoTOJJajeU2MfMO9ITXwz5lq

Last edited:
Top Bottom