• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon is the only smasher where I have to taboo moves...

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I tried playing with him for a week or so. I mean serious bouts to, but I have found it to my annoyance, that he is the only one where I forbid myself from certain moves, because they just only cause my trouble.

I am talking, of course, of Ganon's UTilt (the "come kick me in the groin!" tilt basically) and the warlock punch (regular B punch) for Ganon's Utilt, I can just never seem to find a good enough time to do it, even for an edgeguard method, it's WAY too laggy.

Warlock punch has some benefits, and is only used when I KNOW I can hit it....

but this is more of a discussion really. moreso, where can I utilize that savage Utilt succesfully? It's beast when it connects, but I rarely use it, because when I do, I am in a world of hurt, and sometimes? It's accidental (I go for a diagonal tilt and the controller registers it as Utilt, such is the problem of having a 5 yr old controller)

I tend to stray to a handful of moves, mixed in with a darkness move here or there.

So does anyone else taboo moves?

pdk

Smash Lord
i'd imagine most people "taboo" ganon's nair and all the moves that falcon players don't like either

though we all know who's a total WIZARD with the warlork punch, eh gimpy?

technomancer

Smash Champion
i'd imagine most people "taboo" ganon's nair and all the moves that falcon players don't like either

though we all know who's a total WIZARD with the warlork punch, eh gimpy?
Wait Falcon players like all of Ganon's moves, because THEY ALL GIVE FALCON FREE GRABS!!!112

There's no reason to use either one of those moves, because they are too slow, and though the Warlock punch spaces well in most (read: all) situations you could just smash or forward air, probably even twice if you wanted.

Billy Jean is (uh) not my loverrrr, she's just a girl (ah) that says that I am the one!!!!1

but the kid is not my son.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Almost every character has at least one move that's just not practically usable. You think Ganon has it bad; half of Game & Watch's moves are like that.

Ganon's N-air has its uses. If you're finding yourself constantly hit out of aerials, give it a try. Use it at your own risk, but I've found it able to trade hits with Jigglypuff and completely outprioritize Falcon.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think there was a thread that mentioned ganon's nair can hit cfalcon out of HIS nair. so its not completely useless, but I think if you're getting hit out of aerials, Uair might be a better choice since it comes out faster. depends on the situation i guess.

ThatOneDudeski

Smash Ace
hmmm this is a pretty lame thread..all of ganons moves are situational..you just have to know when to use them..and good ganon knows that..the is no real 'taboo' moves..ever heard of u-tilt edgegaurd..and its like..the best way to punish that sleeping jiggs..and ganons dairs..is a lot better then u guys say it is. learn.to.shffl.them. ><

ThatOneDudeski

Smash Ace
i got confused a bit..but your crazy if you say you dont need nair, wizards foot, f-tilt :3 oh and u-throw and d-throw...absolutley crazy..and lol at gimpy..gawd that was awesome..point at his pro warlock punch video*

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
i have a question say i break a shield or jiggs misses a rest which move ko's more often gannons utilt or neutral b?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
once you master the timing of the up tilt it is an extremely effective (and embarassing) edgeguarding maneuver

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
On a platform stage, you throw someone up the platform, and then jump on the platform. While they are rolling to the side, charge the Warlock's punch!

J4ke

Smash Cadet
I main Ganon, and among my friends (Marth, Shiek/Zelda/Falco's,) we named his Diar the curb stomp.

Oh the satisfaction.

Jacaranda

Smash Rookie
I main Ganon, and among my friends (Marth, Shiek/Zelda/Falco's,) we named his Diar the curb stomp.

Oh the satisfaction.
hell yeah, curb stomp them top tiers

and i dont think anyone has mentioned jab 'cause its obviously one of ganon's more important moves

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman

Oh the satisfaction.
Reminds me of something. Curb sounds like Kirb as in Kirby.

Kirb Stomp, something like the, was my favorite attack to KO Kirbies with.

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
sometimes i just wish they added a cancel button for his utilt like the cancel for foxes forwardb so if u hit it by accident u dont get completly pwned

MrGameandPwn

Smash Rookie
*bump*

jab=combo breaker
utilt=punishing broken shields, sleepers, etc
warlock punch= edgeguard
if you just practice these moves and not just write them off, you'll learn how to use them appropriately

tjrook

Smash Cadet
You know what, I have never actually thought of using Warlock Punch as an edgeguard, I wonder how well it actually works... hmm, well, thinking about it, it doesn't seem to be to good... it would work great for mindgame tactics while edgeguarding, but it doesn't seem like it would be a general edgeguarder...

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
If you are edgeguarding with warlock punch, your foe must really suck at sweetspotting.

The reverse u-air edgeguard or basicly any aerial attack would be a better edgeguard...well, practically anything would be better due to ending lag upon missing and how easy it would be to avoid.

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
I think I read somewhere that an innovative edgeguard was to JUMP out and Warlock Punch. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like you wouldn't have enough time to recover. And what are the chances of it landing? I wanna see that someday.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Yeah, jump out and warlock punch, thats a waste of a stock.

Ganon's warlock punch has no real uses other than punishing sheild breaks and jigglypuff's rest, same as his up-tilt.

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
have you ever succesfully edgeguarded with an up tilt, like kill a returning opponent with it?

Lightshade

Smash Ace
I tried playing with him for a week or so. I mean serious bouts to, but I have found it to my annoyance, that he is the only one where I forbid myself from certain moves, because they just only cause my trouble.
Welcome to Gannondorf, one of the only characters where you use none of his specials-except for recovery. No wonder you've been playing him for a week, stop focusing on the fact that those moves completely and utterly suck when you're playing someone like Falco, who can **** slow opponents-even better, you're playing a link or Marth (mainly because of swords) where your opponent has a disjointed hitbox. The wizard's foot is okay of a move, but it will punish you if you miss. No one should ever use the gerudo dragon (Over B) simply because it sucks and doesn't push your enemy any where. Just learn that those moves suck and when you're using them I'm using something better. Seriously, if you wanted to edgeguard try dropping from the ledge and up areial, it's much better then using the warlock punch or volcano kick, geez.

~Lightshade

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Lightshade, that post isn't very right. Apparently you haven't played ganon for long either.

Ganon's over-b is a great tech chase to mix things up and it does infact push your enemy up into the air for comboing purposes. The down B is an excellent punisher and a surprisingly good tech chase if you can read it well enough.

I'd say ganon's special moves are quite useful.

Even his horrible warlock punch can be used to punish broken shields and rests

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Ganon's over-b is a great tech chase to mix things up and it does infact push your enemy up into the air for comboing purposes. The down B is an excellent punisher and a surprisingly good tech chase if you can read it well enough.
I don't techchase, that defeats the purpose of the game, in a sense. I only thought captain falcon's over B pushes them into the air, are you sure?

Even his horrible warlock punch can be used to punish broken shields and rests
Think about what you're saying, When the hell does that EVER happen in a regular match? If they break their shield, they deserve to be warlocked punch. That still doesn't add a point to being able to use it in battle.

EDIT: (Didn't see part of your post, sorry) Down B is incredibly easy to dodge are you kidding?! Just roll into where they're coming from and Ganon will pass over you, if you use it while airborn (That's a different story) then that's much better, considering it spikes.

Top Bottom