• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GameXplain's "Who's Hiding in the Flames?" analysis

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I don't know if they are right or wrong, but I am certain that there was not any newcomer hidden, they were all veterans from Smash 4, so no cut characters from past game (Ice Climbers or Pokemon trainer).
I'm more curious concerning Mario if it's the classic one or if he has Cappy with him. If that's the case, maybe old members from the cast may get an overhaul of their moveset?

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I'll agree that all those silhouettes must be of Veterans. The trailer seemed to imply that the Inklings were being welcomed by Smash's finest.
Does standing side by side in front of a giant flame ball really count as being "welcoming" tho :L

But yeah, it's probably safe to say that they are all veterans. I suppose the whole point of seeing whose silhouette are those are just confirmation on who will be in the game, though the obvious ones are just as obvious when talking about whether they'd stay or not, so...

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
@vaanrose, the guy who originally drew outlines on the characters before @NibrocRock enhanced it, noticed how some things were strange (ex: Ness's hat) so he came to the thought that the characters are actually looking at the flaming smash symbol.

Honestly I feel they truly are looking at the smash symbol rather than away.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
@vaanrose, the guy who originally drew outlines on the characters before @NibrocRock enhanced it, noticed how some things were strange (ex: Ness's hat) so he came to the thought that the characters are actually looking at the flaming smash symbol.

Interesting outlining. I think they're looking away, though, because I'm not sure why the smaller characters would be behind the tall ones.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Can't make up who is left to Peach, and in-between Bowser and Falcon. Any theories?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Can't make up who is left to Peach, and in-between Bowser and Falcon. Any theories?
I've heard one theory that it's actually Diddy between Peach and DK, standing on the latter's shoulder. You can almost see the outline to the brim of his hat.

Fox seems to be the consensus for the one between Bowser and Falcon. I'm not the most convinced that it's Fox, but I figure he has to be there and no one else matches, so I...think that's him?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Am I the only one thinking that the character with the circle in between Bowser and Samus is actually Shulk with the Monado drawn? Because that's what I think it might be.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Am I the only one thinking that the character with the circle in between Bowser and Samus is actually Shulk with the Monado drawn? Because that's what I think it might be.
I think Shulk is far more likely to be that silhouette than Ike, who lots of other people are guessing. The build is way too thin to be the Radiant Dawn version of Ike we had in Smash 4, and I doubt Sakurai would go back to the Path of Radiance look.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I've heard one theory that it's actually Diddy between Peach and DK, standing on the latter's shoulder. You can almost see the outline to the brim of his hat.

Fox seems to be the consensus for the one between Bowser and Falcon. I'm not the most convinced that it's Fox, but I figure he has to be there and no one else matches, so I...think that's him?
Yeah I can sort of see Fox. By process of elimination it would make sense as he is a original 8 so you'd expect him there somewhere.

Can't see Diddy and don't think it is him. Don't have any other theories as to what that outline is though so eh.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord

To support that idea, looking at GameXplain's video I can see a very thin black line on the level of Link's right shoulder, and that when zoomed in Link has both his bow and sword sheath also are on his right side. Also the big thing on his right is too big to be a shield, I'd say it's probably Luigi.

Interesting outlining. I think they're looking away, though, because I'm not sure why the smaller characters would be behind the tall ones.
So people who watch the video can see them. The problem in that specific situation is that either the smaller characters can see the giant Smash ball from their perspective - at the cost of them being invisible to the real world watcher - of the real world watcher can see them - at the cost of them having their view of the giant Smash ball blocked by taller characters. Having characters looking at the Smash ball - rather than away - inevitably leads to a conflict of interest.

At least it looks like they have some empty spaces between taller characters so they can see the Smash ball.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
So people who watch the video can see them. The problem in that specific situation is that either the smaller characters can see the giant Smash ball from their perspective - at the cost of them being invisible to the real world watcher - of the real world watcher can see them - at the cost of them having their view of the giant Smash ball blocked by taller characters. Having characters looking at the Smash ball - rather than away - inevitably leads to a conflict of interest.

At least it looks like they have some empty spaces between taller characters so they can see the Smash ball.
If the characters were looking at the Smash logo, then we would have seen Mario and Link's face more clearly. If the small characters were only being shown for the benefit of the viewer, then I don't think they'd be covered up as a silhouette.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Yeah it doesn't make much sense to me that they were looking directly at the giant Smash logo, they are supposed to be looking right at the Inklings like "Congratulations kids, you made it, welcome to the cult".

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
Honestly the only one who I have trouble deciphering is the one who is between :4samus: and :4bowser:, I feel that rather than :4myfriends:or :4zelda: in her TP clothing, it may be :4zelda: but rather her wearing the TP clothing or have her redesigned with her BOTW clothes like Link, they made her have her Hyrule Warriors clothing.
Clearly her clothing makes it seem like she has a cape and her hair can make it look like the headpiece Ike wears around his head. Also, since Hyrule Warriors has had a remake on 3DS and now on Switch, it doesn't surprise me they'd want to have some representation for the game.

I'd still want BOTW Zelda though.

It could also actually be:4shulk:as others are saying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom