• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GameStop Street Fighter 4 Tournament Experiences?

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
Me and a fellow member of my PimpTaxi crew owned everyone at my GameStop. (Philadelphia PA)

The follow up tournament is in Villanova, and there's no way for me to get there.

I gave all my prizes away to my other crew members who lost, and told the GameStop managers me and my crew mate wouldn't be fighting in the finals, and simply declaring a tie.
They waere pissed...and tried to give the finals prize (a 360 MS points card) to someone else.
Luckily their boss didn't like that, and didn't let them give it to someone else, since it was rightfully ours at that point.

They didn't let me change my buttons, so I was ultra lucky beating other players.
Generally, I'll remap every single button, so it wasn't just some simple adjustment for me.

I'll never go to another GameStop tournament because of this.
A ton of BS...but a great tournament experience none-the-less.

I gave my finalist pass to the guy I beat in semi finals since I can't make it to the next tournament...

Would anyone here also would have objected to me and my crew mate declaring a tie???
I thought that was the most BS thing all day, even outdoing the fact they won't let us remap buttons.

(I'm a Zangief player too, always have been, always will be...)

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
You just got a crappy Game Stop. The finals in mine came down to two brothers. She just let it be declared a tie. Also, since the other store had nobody...except me, there....I got sent to that one. All in all, top 4 made it to the finals. They even let late comers enter the tournament. I had a pretty decent experience. It sucks that it was on the 360, because NOBODY there plays with at 360 controller. Also...nobody really cared for the default buttons. I just happen to know the layout so I explained it to everyone. Heck, our tournament was nice and friendly. We were giving each other advice mid-match. I can understand why you'd be a bit pissed about it, though. I've had bad experiences with Game Stop tournies in the past. Heck, I was expecting to get gayed out at some point, which I didn't, really. I lost to a good player.

Also, as a note, if anyone is still in these things...beware of spamming Sagats.

Shin Ike

Smash Rookie
personally, I think the 360 controller blows for fighting games (as do many of you I suppose), but at the Gamestop i went to they had no choice. i wanted to play in it but couldnt since i'm an employee there and i honestly could have taken it as the people who went were only decent. Then again they had to play on 360 controllers and as i knew the controller was bad.....it was actually even worse than i thought it would be when i got some friendlies in with the tournament players. All in all though it went smoothly and no one really complained even though no one used the 360 controller and couldnt change their button configuration.

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't mind the 360 pad so much, I had to grow up using horrible dpads.

NES, SNES, PSX, N64, GameCube, Xbox Fatty, any portable system.
So I've adjusted to bad dpads, and a few of the ones I listed are a bit worse than the 360's (like 64's, lol)

That said, it's no Genesis, Sega Saturn, or Xbox S controller dpad.

I guess that really only leaves Dreamcast as the middle ground system, where the dpad is just "OK."

And of course, dpad always > analog stick for fighters.

Shin Ike

Smash Rookie
I don't mind the 360 pad so much, I had to grow up using horrible dpads.

NES, SNES, PSX, N64, GameCube, Xbox Fatty, any portable system.
So I've adjusted to bad dpads, and a few of the ones I listed are a bit worse than the 360's (like 64's, lol)

That said, it's no Genesis, Sega Saturn, or Xbox S controller dpad.

I guess that really only leaves Dreamcast as the middle ground system, where the dpad is just "OK."

And of course, dpad always > analog stick for fighters.
Well an arcade stick owns all. but i actually like and can play very well on playstation controllers. same with SNES lol. i actually really didn't like the original Xbox's S controller dpad:( i actually don't have a stick for my PS3 and just play with my dualshock 3 and it does the job more than fine.

Shin Ike

Smash Rookie
Worst tourney ever imo.

Just seemed like a get in and gtfo tourney to me.
you're right about the "get in and gtfo" part of it but ive seen tournies that have been worse. But yeah, Gamestop is certainly ******** when it comes to running tournies although this one wasn't so bad.

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man the consensus here is so awesome.
I posted this on my art forums, and on SRK, and everyone there acted like I was ungrateful, and unruly, and should have been disqualified for declaring a tie, and kicked out of the store.

You guys are ownage.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That is the gamestop tournament experience for you. brawl was the same way.

However, declaring a "tie" is dumb. Imagine if the two teams in the super bowl decided that, since they were such good friends, they would just call it a tie.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
No, they didn't, not in 2006 at least. Nor at the 2005 championships. I can't vouch for all the event in 2005/2004 though (events that were not of the same scope or importance as those in 2006).

Ojanya

Smash Ace
That is the gamestop tournament experience for you. brawl was the same way.

However, declaring a "tie" is dumb. Imagine if the two teams in the super bowl decided that, since they were such good friends, they would just call it a tie.
This also isn't the Super Bowl. It's some crappy Gamestop tournament that no one will ever take seriously.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
GameStop tourney was dumb.

I did get to play some legit good players though, but the running of that tourney was worse than the infamous CoT4. lolz. Like, they let people into the tourney after the 3rd round of it was over. wtf.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Man the consensus here is so awesome.
I posted this on my art forums, and on SRK, and everyone there acted like I was ungrateful, and unruly, and should have been disqualified for declaring a tie, and kicked out of the store.

You guys are ownage.
omg u agree with me so ur cool! but if u disagree with me ur not cool!

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Alphazealot, the point here, is that there's no reason to NOT call it a tie. The top two players make it out anyway. To have them play each other when there's no point to it...well...that's just dumb. I could understand if it was the 3rd and 4th round of the tournament, then yeah, you play it out. If it's two people who don't need to play it out...why have them do it? We're talking about the 1st and second round where top 2 make it out. If the two players don't want to play it out...why make them? I understand what you're saying, but the Superbowl situation doesn't work. That's a situation where you HAVE to play it out. In this situation, you don't really.

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
omg u agree with me so ur cool! but if u disagree with me ur not cool!
Actually, it's not simply agree or disagree.

It's, "You're a arrogant little prick, and an *******, you deserve to be DQ'd from the tournament for trying to do a tie, and giving away your finalist pass. You shouldn't have even entered if you were going to give things away. You're just showing off, and your presence, and bromance will not be missed at the next tournament you don't go to."
Or it's "That's nice it ended in a tie."
And there's also "I don't think you should have ended in a tie, next time play out the finals."

The first response, is what I got everywhere else I posted this story (art forums, SRK)

The second two responses are what I got here.
See the difference?
I don't even know what Bromance is (probably something suburbanites/whitey would say,) that was just a compilation SRK and Art forums quote.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
We don't even have a gamestop in the country where I live, it'd be nice to have random tourny's like this all over the place...

I can understand how it struck you as weird that they became pissed, but on the other hand I can also get why srk thought it was weird that you wanted a tie.

All the reasons for both are in the "Ban splitting the prize" thread somewhere around this board.

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
I got banned at the first round tournament but won the second round tournament. Onto the 3rd round.

Gamestop 1st round seeded horribly. Whoever signed up next to each other had to fight, but 2nd round got it right. I wonder how it's going to work 3rd round.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I guess I should mention that I am also heading to round 3 and am heading to Little Falls, NJ this saturday. Any smashers headed that way?

Interestingly enough, I also used to have my buttons remapped, but I kinda forced myself to learn default controls that were set for this game, and now I'm so used to it I can't go back to my old controls.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Game store tournaments are just horrible in general. I've never been to a good one, or heard a good story about one.

A few of my buddies went to a Gamestop tournament yesterday (not affiliated with this), and one of the rules was no mirror matches. So of course, two of my friends who both main Ryu ended up meeting in the finals, and the higher seed got to keep Ryu while the lower seed had to switch. I have no idea how they determined seeding, and needless to say the guy who was forced to switch lost. I'm not even sure what a terrible rule like that is supposed to accomplish.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I just got back from Round 3 in Little Falls, NJ and I'm extremely irritated.

I had gotten past the first round and played an excellently close second round against another fellow Zangief player. However, because Gamestop doesn't know how to manage brackets properly, I had to play ANOTHER second round match against an odd-man for the third round position in the bracket that I already won and deserved, and ended up losing.

I kept my cool and walked away, because if it wasn't for the fact that this tournament was entered for free, plus that it IS a gamestop tournament, I would have made a major scene about it. Still, this just makes my initial second round win such a waste. I feel like they threw it back on my face.

What hits me even more is, as a former well-respected tournament host, it pains me to watch such an irresponsible display of bracket creation and handling. I wanted so bad to just step in and take over because they obviously didn't know how to evenly distribute players well.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Do I just have a cool GameStop or something? The one I went to let us stay in there for like two hours after playing friendlies with the people who worked there. They even turned the brackets into Double Elimination because of only like 16 people joining.

But WTF at the GameStop that banned mirrors... the GameStop I went to had a copy of the rulesheet out on the counter and it said nothing about that. The people at the store must've made the rule for some reason.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Thing about it...is that only the BASIC ruleset is in stone as far as the tournaments. It can vary from store to store. I think it even said it on the site. So yeah...there's a possibility that the rules reflected what the attitude of the employer(es) was toward the game or tournament itself. It could also be how much the store in general cared about the customers. I know that the Gamestop and EB in my mall like the customers and are pretty friendly with them. In essence, the tournament would have run smoothly and effciently. (The old Melee ones don't count...'cuz there was no ruleset for anything back then, xD) Like I said...mine wasn't bad...and she made accomodations to the best of her ability. They handed passes out to the top 4 because the other store didn't have enough for a tournament. You've got the cool workers...then you've got the stupid ones.

Top Bottom