• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gameshark Code Collection

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
Madao, I've been pounding my brain again at Smash 64 rom-editing, trying to get my codes into the rom itself to then inject into a Wii-wad. I've been following generic gameshark-to-hex patching guides, and I re-read the material here, but I'm still having issues properly hexing in a code of mine.
I basically had your current patch's setup (except in gshark codes), except I also had
810EA200 0001 (no hitlag)

D00A4D09 0003
800A4D09 000E (zebes = battlefield)

D00A4D09 0008
800A4D09 000D (mush kingdom = metal cavern)

8116438A 42AC
8018C874 003A (I believe one is a code for Link's triple jump height, and the other is DK's triple jump height)

If you could either patch these in yourself or give a painstaking step-by-step on how to hex in just the first no-hitlag code, I could do the rest myself. I keep arriving at things that tell me I'll have 4 digits when I have six, and even though I have edited the size of the ROM, re-crc'd it, got it to run multiple times, changed the configuration of the alterations I made and etc, I just never get the appropriate results...
Much love. Trying to take this goofy setup to my PM weeklies as a silly side-game.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Madao, I've been pounding my brain again at Smash 64 rom-editing, trying to get my codes into the rom itself to then inject into a Wii-wad. I've been following generic gameshark-to-hex patching guides, and I re-read the material here, but I'm still having issues properly hexing in a code of mine.
I basically had your current patch's setup (except in gshark codes), except I also had

D00A4D09 0003

D00A4D09 0008

8116438A 42AC
8018C874 003A (I believe one is a code for Link's triple jump height, and the other is DK's triple jump height)

If you could either patch these in yourself or give a painstaking step-by-step on how to hex in just the first no-hitlag code, I could do the rest myself. I keep arriving at things that tell me I'll have 4 digits when I have six, and even though I have edited the size of the ROM, re-crc'd it, got it to run multiple times, changed the configuration of the alterations I made and etc, I just never get the appropriate results...
Much love. Trying to take this goofy setup to my PM weeklies as a silly side-game.
what part of MA are you from and why arent you on the player map?

tehz

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how you could patch in the D0/D1 codes, without changing the underlying routine to watch for your comparison (or just avoiding it entirely), or making a listener that runs every frame (maybe?) like the gameshark code engine.

Idk though, madao will know more.

Madao

D00A4D09 0003

D00A4D09 0008

8116438A 42AC

First of all, you need to make sure the crc is correct, unless you just want to run it in Nemu which does not require you to have the correct crc. It's actually how I found out that Jabo 1.6 uses some stupid hack, based on crc, so when you modify the crc value, you get those black horizontal lines.
I used a program called rn64crc.exe to fix the crc. It's a CLI program, so you have to be familiar with CMD and such.

Like tehz said, activator codes are difficult to make into a rom hack, but some are doable. I was unable to do stage swap so far.

For these other codes, What you can do (assuming the data isn't compressed in the rom), is do a hex search. In memory editor, look at the address and copy the original value, then search that value in the rom, via hex editor. I'd copy 12 or 16 bytes, simply because 4 bytes might be too common for hex searching. If you need help, let me know.

I don't know how you could patch in the D0/D1 codes, without changing the underlying routine to watch for your comparison (or just avoiding it entirely), or making a listener that runs every frame (maybe?) like the gameshark code engine.

Idk though, madao will know more.
This is true, although there are cases where you can. With stage swap, you can just change the preset number. Although there's more to it than that, but it's doable if someone is experienced enough with rom hacking. I was unable to do it though, because it would crash the game when trying to display the stage :( .

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
The memory editor was definitely the missing link, I now remember that when I was fiddling with code creation myself, I definitely had my nose buried deep in one with the game booted up. However, no matter how many times I manually search or ctrl+f, I can't find anything for values 0EA200 or EA200 for the (810EA200 0001) code. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I must be missing something painfully obvious. Thanks for being so helpful, Madao.

Also, Herbert, I'm from the Boston area. I'm one of the founders of the Framingham Smashing Grounds tournies, and I'm also their primary graphic designer for the stream. I go by "Baka".

edit: just found a value on a whim and editted it so low that fox froze ontop of DK with a drill attack. I think I'm close...

Last edited:

Madao

The memory editor was definitely the missing link, I now remember that when I was fiddling with code creation myself, I definitely had my nose buried deep in one with the game booted up. However, no matter how many times I manually search or ctrl+f, I can't find anything for values 0EA200 or EA200 for the (810EA200 0001) code. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I must be missing something painfully obvious. Thanks for being so helpful, Madao.
edit: just found a value on a whim and editted it so low that fox froze ontop of DK with a drill attack. I think I'm close...
The simplest way to do it is to use a combination of Nemu64 and cheat engine. Be sure to use a different video plugin than the default. Unfortunately you are stuck with the default audio and input plugins. I don't like the input plugin, the GUI is glitchy and the keyboard support is poor (you don't get full range). All these problems aside, it's a great emulator for hacking, debugging, reverse engineering, etc.

Now before I elaborate, I have to clarify that any code that requires you to freeze a variable value, is difficult to implement a cheat code for. Fortunately, your hitlag code is altering a cpu instruction, so it's easy to do. So you type in 800EA200 for the address in memory viewer (either PJ64 debug edition, 1964 debugger, or Nemu's memory viewer), then copy those 16 bytes so that you can hex search them. [ 460C4282 4600540D 44028000 10A10004 ] and you will come across the offset 0x65A00 in hex editor for the rom. For future searches, you have to make sure you found the right location. You don't always have to search 16 bytes, sometimes less, sometimes more. It just has to be long enough so that there is not more than 1 location with that exact sequence of code. Just know that every single cpu instruction for N64 is 4 bytes each. Once you find the offset in hex editor, go ahead and make your changes and then fix crc.

Last edited:

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Madao. I vaguely wandered my way through and managed to get it all working. You've definitely provided enough information here for me to go and learn further on my own. Thank you so much!

Madao

Thanks Madao. I vaguely wandered my way through and managed to get it all working. You've definitely provided enough information here for me to go and learn further on my own. Thank you so much!
No problem :) . I would like to see more people hack the game and discover unknown data. So the more people I help, the more likely these things will happen.

Please feel free to ask more questions!

tehz

Smash Apprentice
This is true, although there are cases where you can. With stage swap, you can just change the preset number. Although there's more to it than that, but it's doable if someone is experienced enough with rom hacking. I was unable to do it though, because it would crash the game when trying to display the stage :( .
Yeah, I think the game uses that stage value (0x0N) to offset its various look ups for not only the images/data associated with it, but also for navigating the menu (ie, you don't go right from square 1 to square 2, you go from 0x00 to 0x02)

You could probably make it work by finding the instruction that stores the stage value to 0x800A4D09. Then add some code around there to look at stage value in the registers and change if necessary:
Code:
BNE    $StageValue    0x08    0x0C
NOP         //Is this neccessary? Can't remember if jumps or breaks execute the following line
ADDi    $StageValue    R0    0x0D
//Back to original flow
SB    $StageValue    0x800A4D09
I don't know how easy it is to add in more code, though. Also, that code is probably pretty bad, but whatever.

Now I kinda want to play around with rom hacks, since all of the other D0/D1 codes in that Stage Select Code Thread would be easy byte swaps. If only I had more free time !!

Madao

Ok basically I've already tried tracking down where it determines stages. Iirc, the game DMA's the stage values to 0x80134644. What you can do to test things is go to the stage select in VS mode, then go to 80134644 in memory editor and change the value of one if the stages (one that you're not hovering over), then when you move the selection to that stage, it will display the name and stage based on that new value.

The problem is if you pick a stage that wouldn't normally be there (like metal mario stage), the game will crash when you move the selection to that stage. If you were to change the number after moving to that selection, it won't crash the game. That's why activator codes a very convenient.

What's weird is how even changing hitstun formula, makes the game glitchy ;/ .

For your adding code idea, that seems hard to do. I know how to add code via gameshark, but through rom patch is even harder.

Madao

Is there a code for an infinite damage multiplier and unbreakable deflector shield for fox?
Idk exactly what you mean by infinite damage multiplier, but I could probably make an unbreakable deflector shield for fox. I'll try debugging that, this week.

ShadowShifterZeroX

Smash Rookie
You know how fox's shield tends to multiply item throw damage when it's deflected? Eventually, his deflector breaks and every time the shell, for example, is thrown his deflector still breaks because the item throw damage is too high. I'm sorry I didn't fully explain what I was saying. But, thank you for even considering working on it. I wasn't expecting a reply that fast.

ZenBren

Smash Rookie
I can't get the auto tech, auto z cancel, or fast fall during aerial options to work without the game freezing.

Madao

Madao is a genius, he made me a falcon code with the knee of justice ;3
Lol to be fair, most of it was from someone else, although I'm able to do some nice character hacks via Rom hacking now.
I can't get the auto tech, auto z cancel, or fast fall during aerial options to work without the game freezing.
Thanks for the feedback. I can understand maybe fast fall aerials being a problem, but not Z cancelling. I noticed I made a typo in Auto Teching LOL! It was supposed to be 81 instead of 80, i changed it now. Can you elaborate on the problems though? At the very least, auto z-cancelling and teching should work. Are you having trouble on emulator or console?
You know how fox's shield tends to multiply item throw damage when it's deflected? Eventually, his deflector breaks and every time the shell, for example, is thrown his deflector still breaks because the item throw damage is too high. I'm sorry I didn't fully explain what I was saying. But, thank you for even considering working on it. I wasn't expecting a reply that fast.
Lol I just happened to be browsiing soon after you posted :b: . Now it makes sense what you mean. Idk exactly how the reflector works atm, but I'm confident I can make it unbreakable. The other part might be a little harder to do. I will give it a shot this weekend though.

ShadowShifterZeroX

Smash Rookie
Lol to be fair, most of it was from someone else, although I'm able to do some nice character hacks via Rom hacking now.
Thanks for the feedback. I can understand maybe fast fall aerials being a problem, but not Z cancelling. I noticed I made a typo in Auto Teching LOL! It was supposed to be 81 instead of 80, i changed it now. Can you elaborate on the problems though? At the very least, auto z-cancelling and teching should work. Are you having trouble on emulator or console?
Lol I just happened to be browsiing soon after you posted :b: . Now it makes sense what you mean. Idk exactly how the reflector works atm, but I'm confident I can make it unbreakable. The other part might be a little harder to do. I will give it a shot this weekend though.
Thank you so much! I appreciate you finding the hex code for fox. :)

ZenBren

Smash Rookie
I'm using a console. I double checked my codes to make sure I had them right. The auto tech roll makes it freeze as soon as someone hits the ground during hit stun. The auto z cancels makes it freeze right at the start of matches, sometimes at the select screens.

Madao

Thank you so much! I appreciate you finding the hex code for fox. :)
You're welcome. I will try to debug sometime soon. I know I'm late xD. It's just a hassle using keyboard on emulator lol.
I'm using a console. I double checked my codes to make sure I had them right. The auto tech roll makes it freeze as soon as someone hits the ground during hit stun. The auto z cancels makes it freeze right at the start of matches, sometimes at the select screens.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I do not have a physical gameshark that supports custom codes. Anyway, I can try coming up with alternative codes you can try. For auto z cancelling, try 80150A3C 0024 . Either emulator is just that unreliable for testing codes, or your gameshark is in bad shape. I will try coming up with more alternatives if needed. Hopefully someone else here can start testing on their physical gameshark as well. I need to do some revising I guess. I need to figure out exactly how branching works because it has a different effect on PJ64, than it does in 1964, Nemu, and Mupen, if i remember correctly.

ZenBren

Smash Rookie
You're welcome. I will try to debug sometime soon. I know I'm late xD. It's just a hassle using keyboard on emulator lol.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I do not have a physical gameshark that supports custom codes. Anyway, I can try coming up with alternative codes you can try. For auto z cancelling, try 80150A3C 0024 . Either emulator is just that unreliable for testing codes, or your gameshark is in bad shape. I will try coming up with more alternatives if needed. Hopefully someone else here can start testing on their physical gameshark as well. I need to do some revising I guess. I need to figure out exactly how branching works because it has a different effect on PJ64, than it does in 1964, Nemu, and Mupen, if i remember correctly.
Thanks for all the help! It didn't like that new code at all, crashed at the loading screen, I'll try it again. Wouldn't surprise me if my gameshark was in bad shape, I'd Imagen it's pretty old, I did get some other codes to work though. Hitbox display works, no whispy/tornados works, no clouds works, redirecting maps in vs mode works fine. I'd be happy to test any other codes if you're interested.

Last edited:

Madao

Ok i started debugging the shield reflector.
From now on, I'll becareful about adding codes, so I will try testing codes before updating OP. @ ShadowShifterZeroX ShadowShifterZeroX , let me know if this shield reflector code works well.
Thanks for all the help! It didn't like that new code at all, crashed at the loading screen, I'll try it again. Wouldn't surprise me if my gameshark was in bad shape, I'd Imagen it's pretty old, I did get some other codes to work though. Hitbox display works, no whispy/tornados works, no clouds works, redirecting maps in vs mode works fine. I'd be happy to test any other codes if you're interested.
That's unfortunate :( . All i can do is try new ideas I guess and learn more about N64 hardware. Hopefully @ tehz tehz or @ KnitePhox KnitePhox can assist us by testing this alternative for auto z cancelling. I'll try contacting other people who have physical gamesharks that support custom codes as well.

Edit: I did further debugging and found all the info needed for the shield reflector code. Basically, the damage multiplier for reflecting is 1.8 (rounds up), the max limit before breaking is 50, so if the projectile is at 51 damage or higher, it will break shield. For max damage possible, the limit is set to 100.

Set the max damage of an item being reflected to 999
81171346 03E8
8117132E 03E7
Set the max damage of a projectile being reflected to 999
81166E06 03E8
81166DEE 03E7
Unbreakable shield reflector (items)
800E38B1 00EF
Unbreakable shield reflector (projectiles)
800E3209 00EF

Last edited:

ThaJakester

Valatunda! Valatunda!
NNID
ThaJakester
This is an awesome thread! But I post now concerned with problems that I am having :I

Coming in as a gameshark noob.....the first post isn't exactly the most noob friendly I gotta say. For the longest time I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my Gameshark Pro...All I wanted to do was to utilize gameshark codes...and I couldn't even get the thing to boot up my Smash 64!...Only by looking up a couple of google'd links did I realize that you have to actually boot ANOTHER game first(mario 64, goldeneye, ect) before you can actually boot up Smash 64! I knew of no such thing! I wish this thread would have explained that keycodes feature lol. Also, I went out and bought a regular gameshark to use for Smash64 before I got the gameshark pro =___= money was wasted because regular gameshark can't run Smash64!I bought more than one of those D: That was kind of frustrating, but then after I utilized gameshark with my smash 64, I find out that the game's classic mode becomes permanently glitched! Now my copy can only play Classic mode as Mario? That's so weeeeeeak :[ I have since fixed that issue by erasing my data but if this would have been my personal childhood copy of smash 64, I would have been quite upset!

Anyhow mini rant over lol. If TC wouldn't mind editing the first post for super noobs like myself, it my save others some time and frustration....Now this is just me nitpicking, but why wasn't the simple "debug menu" code on the first post? If it was there I didn't see it :I

Also I tried the "Infinite Jumps" code and my game keeps freezing whenever my character jumps! Sometimes it works and it's awesome! Most of the time sadly it freezes however. Could I be doing something wrong? I have no other codes enabled... The "not lose your up b" code that went along with the infinite jumps code also doesnt even work at all for me...

Anyhow, sorry for poor grammar! I appreciate the read none the less! :3

Madao

This is an awesome thread! But I post now concerned with problems that I am having :I

Coming in as a gameshark noob.....the first post isn't exactly the most noob friendly I gotta say. For the longest time I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my Gameshark Pro...All I wanted to do was to utilize gameshark codes...and I couldn't even get the thing to boot up my Smash 64!...
Lol sorry about that. The problem is, I don't even own a gameshark pro LOL! So that's why my thread is missing some important information. Not everything I wrote has been tested on the real hardware, unfortunately. Also at the time of creating the thread, my knowledge of n64's cpu was somewhat inadequate, so some codes may be buggy/unstable on the real hardware, despite it working fine on emulator (due to the fact that n64 emulators are not 100% accurate).

Only by looking up a couple of google'd links did I realize that you have to actually boot ANOTHER game first(mario 64, goldeneye, ect) before you can actually boot up Smash 64! I knew of no such thing! I wish this thread would have explained that keycodes feature lol. Also, I went out and bought a regular gameshark to use for Smash64 before I got the gameshark pro =___= money was wasted because regular gameshark can't run Smash64!I bought more than one of those D:
I had no idea that you had to boot another game first! That's odd lol. I guess I'll do some more reading about gameshark. Then later on, I can edit my first post and include some more information. I'll try making it more noob friendly too xD.

Ya it sucks that you have to get a gameshark pro. I only have gameshark 2.0 iirc ;/ .

That was kind of frustrating, but then after I utilized gameshark with my smash 64, I find out that the game's classic mode becomes permanently glitched! Now my copy can only play Classic mode as Mario? That's so weeeeeeak :[ I have since fixed that issue by erasing my data but if this would have been my personal childhood copy of smash 64, I would have been quite upset!
I think I have heard of that issue before. Do you know what caused it?

Anyhow mini rant over lol. If TC wouldn't mind editing the first post for super noobs like myself, it my save others some time and frustration....Now this is just me nitpicking, but why wasn't the simple "debug menu" code on the first post? If it was there I didn't see it :I

Also I tried the "Infinite Jumps" code and my game keeps freezing whenever my character jumps! Sometimes it works and it's awesome! Most of the time sadly it freezes however. Could I be doing something wrong? I have no other codes enabled... The "not lose your up b" code that went along with the infinite jumps code also doesnt even work at all for me...

Anyhow, sorry for poor grammar! I appreciate the read none the less! :3
Thanks for you feedback. You brought up good points and also reminded me of some problems with my code. At the time of writing that "not lose your up B" code, I didn't realize it was character specific, so I'd need to find the codes for each character ;/ . For infinite jumps, I'll have to investigate that and possibly make a safer alternative code. I was aware that some of my codes may have problems, so I'll need to go back and fix them. Again it's mostly due to the fact that I can only test it on emulator, also i sometimes make typo's xD.

I'm getting better at assembly programming and reverse engineering, so I should be able to make improvements and also add more codes :) .

Last edited:

ZenBren

Smash Rookie
bought more than one of those D: That was kind of frustrating, but then after I utilized gameshark with my smash 64, I find out that the game's classic mode becomes permanently glitched! Now my copy can only play Classic mode as Mario? That's so weeeeeeak :[ I have since fixed that issue by erasing my data but if this would have been my personal childhood copy of smash 64, I would have been quite upset!3
I noticed that as well, my copy of SSB now only plays only Mario in classic mode. I found this after on smashwikia:
"Unfortunately, the use of Gameshark with Super Smash Bros. also triggers a glitch that forces the player to play as Mario in single-player mode, even after the Gameshark has been removed. The only known way to undo this is to erase the game data."
I wonder why it does that.

ThaJakester

Valatunda! Valatunda!
NNID
ThaJakester
Lol sorry about that. The problem is, I don't even own a gameshark pro LOL! So that's why my thread is missing some important information. Not everything I wrote has been tested on the real hardware, unfortunately. Also at the time of creating the thread, my knowledge of n64's cpu was somewhat inadequate, so some codes may be buggy/unstable on the real hardware, despite it working fine on emulator (due to the fact that n64 emulators are not 100% accurate).
It's all good! I just google'd a couple of different tutorials. It was all a little confusing but I ended up figuring it out! But yeah! a small tutorial in the opening post of this thread would be awesome for noobs like myself!
I had no idea that you had to boot another game first! That's odd lol. I guess I'll do some more reading about gameshark. Then later on, I can edit my first post and include some more information. I'll try making it more noob friendly too xD.

Ya it sucks that you have to get a gameshark pro. I only have gameshark 2.0 iirc ;/ .
Yeeeeah :/ the Gameshark Pro tid bit was pretty lame to find out myself since I had already bought 2 regular gamesharks xD Just include that little detail in the opening post and you're good to go! I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm hating...cuz really in fact, I hardcore appreciate you! I was just speaking on behalf of bettering an already awesome thread :3
I think I have heard of that issue before. Do you know what caused it?
As the user above me stated, nobody really knows what causes it :/ Which is a real shame. The good news is that you can reverse the Mario Classic mode glitch by simply erasing all of the game data......and I believe that actually will FIX the game to forever work with gameshark without that glitch repeating...kind of like how a shot works...At least in my testing, I glitched my game with gameshark...then I erased the data...Upon using gameshark again the glitch hasn't repeated for me yet! While it is a shame that you have to erase the game data, personally, I just used the "unlock everything" gameshark code of yours to restore my whole game xD
Thanks for you feedback. You brought up good points and also reminded me of some problems with my code. At the time of writing that "not lose your up B" code, I didn't realize it was character specific, so I'd need to find the codes for each character ;/ . For infinite jumps, I'll have to investigate that and possibly make a safer alternative code. I was aware that some of my codes may have problems, so I'll need to go back and fix them. Again it's mostly due to the fact that I can only test it on emulator, also i sometimes make typo's xD.

I'm getting better at assembly programming and reverse engineering, so I should be able to make improvements and also add more codes :) .
lol you make Smash 64 hacking sound so easy! You really are a wizard bahahah. Anyhow, if you could test some of these codes on actual hardware...specifically infinite jumps, that would be fantastic! See I'm hosting Smash 64 tournaments now in my area and I am interested in incorporating Gameshark into the tournaments....For instance, I strongly desire to host a side event where we implement the "infinite jumps" code and just go to town with it! xD That is some new meta yo! ;) As it stands now currently the code freezes the game too often to make it worth while :(

ZenBren

Smash Rookie
.For instance, I strongly desire to host a side event where we implement the "infinite jumps" code and just go to town with it! xD That is some new meta yo! ;) As it stands now currently the code freezes the game too often to make it worth while :(
I wished I lived in your area because that sounds like a lot of fun. I had a similar idea accept mine was make fighting polygon stage the only legal one...

Madao

It's all good! I just google'd a couple of different tutorials. It was all a little confusing but I ended up figuring it out! But yeah! a small tutorial in the opening post of this thread would be awesome for noobs like myself!
Ya, I'll get to that eventually :) . I'm a bit of a procrastinator.
Yeeeeah :/ the Gameshark Pro tid bit was pretty lame to find out myself since I had already bought 2 regular gamesharks xD Just include that little detail in the opening post and you're good to go! I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm hating...cuz really in fact, I hardcore appreciate you! I was just speaking on behalf of bettering an already awesome thread :3
Constructive critisism is fine, especially when you provide a solution :) . I'm aware that my OP is not perfect, I just never got around to improving it, and tbh this thread is often times not even on page 1 lol.
As the user above me stated, nobody really knows what causes it :/ Which is a real shame. The good news is that you can reverse the Mario Classic mode glitch by simply erasing all of the game data......and I believe that actually will FIX the game to forever work with gameshark without that glitch repeating...kind of like how a shot works...At least in my testing, I glitched my game with gameshark...then I erased the data...Upon using gameshark again the glitch hasn't repeated for me yet! While it is a shame that you have to erase the game data, personally, I just used the "unlock everything" gameshark code of yours to restore my whole game xD
Ok, well that's sort of good news. Would be cool if someone who's save data got corrupted, could dump their save file and upload it. Then maybe I could see what went wrong. Reverse engineering is fun :) .
lol you make Smash 64 hacking sound so easy! You really are a wizard bahahah. Anyhow, if you could test some of these codes on actual hardware...specifically infinite jumps, that would be fantastic! See I'm hosting Smash 64 tournaments now in my area and I am interested in incorporating Gameshark into the tournaments....For instance, I strongly desire to host a side event where we implement the "infinite jumps" code and just go to town with it! xD That is some new meta yo! ;) As it stands now currently the code freezes the game too often to make it worth while :(
It depends on what you do. Tweaking a number is easy. Implementing game mechanics that did not exist, is really challenging. I don't think I'm able to do that yet, so I just try and see what I can tweak. I still haven't gotten around to doing a rom hack that buffs low tiers like Link :) . I don't think I'll ever buy a gameshark pro because I prefer using emulators lol. I think I know people who could test codes for me though. So when I'm in the mood for more game testing, I'll try contacting some people.

ThaJakester

Valatunda! Valatunda!
NNID
ThaJakester
Still though! I desire to push other players into using Gamesharks for our Smash 64 tournaments so that we can expand our stage list and utilize Battlefield, Final Destination, and Metal Cavern!!! But....I fear that the Mario glitch thing could turn players off :/ There surely must be a way around it! Perhaps another Gameshark code maybe!? Idk lol...

While I'm on the topic of bettering 64 tournaments with gameshark, another thing I am greatly interested in is if there is a way to program codes that automatically pre-set the game's "vs settings" to competitive defaults upon booting up the game...In contrast to what I mean, look at Project M on the Wii for example. The dev team for that game made it to where when booting the game, at default, you already have items set to off, a 4 stock timer, 8 minutes time, and friendly fire set to on, ect.......The only gameshark code I found that was similar to this idealism was the "stock + timer" code...but then I read from people that that code was glitchy! That aside if there was a way to set the vs. settings to "5 stock, no items, friendly fire on, ect...that would be really awesome!! Mario glitch may not see so scary when you have those as upsides to using the gameshark!

Ok, well that's sort of good news. Would be cool if someone who's save data got corrupted, could dump their save file and upload it. Then maybe I could see what went wrong. Reverse engineering is fun :) .
I'm interested in assisting!..........but I'll have to find another Smash 64 cartridge, and then I'll need to actually find out how to dump the save file to a computer x3
It depends on what you do. Tweaking a number is easy. Implementing game mechanics that did not exist, is really challenging. I don't think I'm able to do that yet, so I just try and see what I can tweak. I still haven't gotten around to doing a rom hack that buffs low tiers like Link :) . I don't think I'll ever buy a gameshark pro because I prefer using emulators lol. I think I know people who could test codes for me though. So when I'm in the mood for more game testing, I'll try contacting some people.
I'll test things! I want to see Gamesharks become more widely used in the Smash 64 tournament community! They're only $25!

Madao

Ok try this code out for infinite jumps, it doesn't solve the UP B problem, but this code should be safe. If not, then it means that writing legit gameshark codes are a real pain! I honestly would be pretty disappointed if this crashes the game.
8013FECF 0000

Edit: For Kirby and Jigglypuff, use this code.
801400DB 0000
They have a different jumping mechanic so they require a different code.
Still though! I desire to push other players into using Gamesharks for our Smash 64 tournaments so that we can expand our stage list and utilize Battlefield, Final Destination, and Metal Cavern!!! But....I fear that the Mario glitch thing could turn players off :/ There surely must be a way around it! Perhaps another Gameshark code maybe!? Idk lol...
The current argument against gamesharks is that it's unfair for players who don't have access. This community happens to be very hard to convince. Maybe if you run your own tournament or something, it could work. I'm sure another gameshark code could fix the save data problem, but it's unlikely that anyone will figure out how to fix it.
While I'm on the topic of bettering 64 tournaments with gameshark, another thing I am greatly interested in is if there is a way to program codes that automatically pre-set the game's "vs settings" to competitive defaults upon booting up the game...In contrast to what I mean, look at Project M on the Wii for example. The dev team for that game made it to where when booting the game, at default, you already have items set to off, a 4 stock timer, 8 minutes time, and friendly fire set to on, ect.......The only gameshark code I found that was similar to this idealism was the "stock + timer" code...but then I read from people that that code was glitchy! That aside if there was a way to set the vs. settings to "5 stock, no items, friendly fire on, ect...that would be really awesome!! Mario glitch may not see so scary when you have those as upsides to using the gameshark!
Yes, those gameshark codes exist. If they aren't in my list, it's because I probably forgot to include them. WIth this thread, I wanted to mostly focus on codes I exclusively created :) . Of course, some of these generic codes like unlock all characters, stage select, etc are not mine. I should add that debug code too. I probably just didn't feel like searching for codes already found by other people, since most people I'm sure already have a large collection of codes.

I'm interested in assisting!..........but I'll have to find another Smash 64 cartridge, and then I'll need to actually find out how to dump the save file to a computer x3

I'll test things! I want to see Gamesharks become more widely used in the Smash 64 tournament community! They're only $25!
Thanks for the offer. The real problem is you need to buy special hardware to be able to do things like dumping save files. I wouldn't want you to go out and buy them, unless you truly wanted to. I can't promise that I'd be able to solve the mystery.

Last edited:

kyletree

Smash Cadet
has anyone figured out any codes for training mode? I could really use a code that keeps the speed at the same spot when you press reset.

bb010g

Smash Cadet
How do you use a memory address obtained from Cheat Engine and figure out a N64 memory address? I'm trying to make a code to adjust item settings, but I'm stuck.

Madao

How do you use a memory address obtained from Cheat Engine and figure out a N64 memory address? I'm trying to make a code to adjust item settings, but I'm stuck.
What emulator are you using? What you can do is find the offset, and use that to convert addresses. For example, for converting cheat engine addresses with Nemu, to n64 memory, you add 0x6FFE0000 to the cheat engine address. For 1964, the offset is 0x60000000. PJ64 is a hassle, so I wouldn't bother using that with cheat engine, since the addresses are not static in PJ64.

One other issue is the fact that our computers are in little endian and N64 is in big endian. So the bytes are in a different order.
Here's the byte order
1 Byte
Big Endian:
0123 4567 89AB CDEF

Little Endian:
3210 7654 BA98 FEDC

So say you're using Nemu, the address for unlocking mushroom kingdom is 0x100C4934. When you add 0x6FFE0000, it becomes 0x800A4934. Now you have to byte swap, so 4 becomes 7. It gets tricky because for 2 byte values it's different.
2 Bytes
Big Endian:
02 46 8A CE

Little Endian:
20 64 A8 EC

If you don't like doing this sort of math, you can use windows calculator, click on view, and select programmer. I know Win XP doesn't have this, idk about Vista, but ik win 7 has this. Then for byte swaping a 1 byte value, you do XOR 3, for byte swapping a 2 byte value, you do XOR 2.

Hope this helps :) .

Last edited:

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
@ Madao Madao

you are so good at this stuff.
I just got a gameshark pro v3.3 and want to try out some of the stage selection codes, and maybe some others as well(console).
Is there an idiots guide to using the gameshark on console, and if so, can we add it to the first post of this thread or the index?

Last edited:

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
Still though! I desire to push other players into using Gamesharks for our Smash 64 tournaments so that we can expand our stage list and utilize Battlefield, Final Destination, and Metal Cavern!!!
We're trying exactly this at our weekly. We hadn't quite worked out the bugs in time for the last one, but we messed around on those stages during warmups and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive.

...codes that automatically pre-set the game's "vs settings" to competitive defaults upon booting up the game...
Then how will I show off my menu nav tech skill? j/k that's a sick idea

They're only $25!
$13 at my local game shop :)

Madao

@ Madao Madao

you are so good at this stuff.
I just got a gameshark pro v3.3 and want to try out some of the stage selection codes, and maybe some others as well(console).
Is there an idiots guide to using the gameshark on console, and if so, can we add it to the first post of this thread or the index?
Thanks. I'll need to look it up, then I can update first post.

I think it would be better to wait a while, before testing my codes, because a good portion of the codes that I myself created, have not been tested on a console, so some of them might not be safe to use. This week, I'll start checking codes and perhaps replace old codes with safer alternatives. So at the very least, wait until my first post is updated.

Top Bottom