• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gameshark Code Collection

Madao

How would the combo meter even work lol? In training mode, it only displays player 1's hits on player 2. If I do the player 3 appear in training mode code, the combo won't even display for the hits I do on player 3. I will look into it still, but I'm not sure it will work the way you want it to, even if I get it working in VS mode. I guess 1 v 1's would still work though.

Can someone link me to the thread where the code for playing stock matched in training mode is posted?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
I enjoy this thread, thank you so much Madao and DannySSB

wish i knew how to debug and stuff as to help out with anything i can...fak.

i want to try my hand at patching a game cartridge with a patched rom soon.

if it works out ideally....no one would need gamesharks and i could just patch everyone's carts at apex/other events

the following is a selfish request, apologies beforehand/don't read if uninterested.

there is a certain syntax that codes should be in for FAST uploading to gameshark, if anyone is bored or wants to help out and do some copy+pasting then small editing...or maybe it's easier if you know what you're doing in notepad++. i use notepad++ but don't know any special shortcuts for deleting copying or editing batches of lines....ANYWAYS here's the syntax/codelist sample for uploading to GS from win98+parallel cable

Code:
.end

"Super Smash Bros."
"(M)"
F10396B0 2400
DE000400 0000
"---GENERAL---" .off
"5STOCK NO ITEMS TEAM ATTACK ON" .off
800A4D0F 0004
800A4D0B 0002
800A4D11 0001
800A4D24 0000
"SKIP TO VS MODE" .off
800A4AD0 0010
800A4D0B 0002
800A4D24 0000
"UNLOCK EVERYTHING" .off
810A4938 0FF0
800A4937 00FF
"---AT STAGE SEL. P1 HOLD---" .off
"DPAD LE BATTLEFIELD" .off
D109EFA4 0200
800A4D09 000E
"DPAD UP METAL MARIO STAGE" .off
D109EFA4 0800
800A4D09 000D
"L+DPAD RI RACE TO THE FINISH" .off
D109EFA4 0120
800A4D09 000F
"L+DPAD DO HOW TO PLAY" .off
D109EFA4 0420
800A4D09 000B
"-----FALCON FAIR/NAIR-----" .off
"SUPERMAN/DOUBLE FLIP" .off
81121D3E 0645
81121D42 1634
81121D32 06A3
81121D36 16A4
81121D44 8000
"MARIO LEDGE/DOUBLE FLIP" .off
81121D3E 06D2
81121D42 1634
81121D32 06A3
81121D36 16A4
81121D44 8000
"SLOW FRONT FLIP/JAB" .off
81121D3E 0611
81121D42 1634
81121D32 0654
81121D36 16A4
81121D44 8000
"DERP KICK/NAPO D" .off
81121D3E 0682
81121D42 1634
81121D32 06B6
81121D36 16A4
81121D44 8000
"YOLO KICK/DOUBLE FLIP" .off
81121D3E 066A
81121D42 1634
81121D32 06A3
81121D36 16A4
81121D44 8000
"WTF CIRCLE FLIP/MARIO GET UP" .off
81121D3E 06A9
81121D42 1634
81121D32 06B7
81121D36 16A4
81121D44 8000
.end

"Yoshi's Story"
"(M)"

ALSO here's some code limits per game session in gameshark

Code:
04 Bytes = 0.25
08 Bytes = 0.50
12 Bytes = 0.75
16 Bytes = 1.00 (Starts with "80" & "81")
20 Bytes = 1.25 (Starts with "D0" & "D1")
40 Bytes = 2.50 (Starts with "88" & "89")

(sum of right side of "=" sign is per session amount)
251MAX supported at once

Madao

I enjoy this thread, thank you so much Madao and DannySSB
wish i knew how to debug and stuff as to help out with anything i can...fak.
if it works out ideally....no one would need gamesharks and i could just patch everyone's carts at apex/other events
If you're willing to help out, I can help you learn how to debug. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. Sure some things are hard, but the main thing it takes is creativity and determination.

9 months ago, I didn't know anything about hacking and I started out with this tutorial. Once you read this and try out the steps, I'll teach you some tricks so that you can find things on your own and help us all out. Should I post pictures showing how to patch gameshark codes to the rom? You will need to download Nemu emulator. The default video plugin sucks, so I recommend you use a good one. Unfortunately the emulator is outdated and the input plugin is not too great (you can't change it either), but the debugger it has is amazing. Nemu + Cheat Engine = BEAST.

People say learning assembly is hard, but it really isn't (unless you want to write a big program with it). All you have to do is either memorize the instruction set, or have an instruction set list to refer to (this is what I did until I memorized most of them).

i use notepad++ but don't know any special shortcuts for deleting copying or editing batches of lines...
In notepad++ and some other editors you can vertically select what you want.
For example if I type the gameshark code with the names to the side of the code, you can highlight the code and not the words. You can also write stuff where you highlight on each row.
8115C716 ???? Fox Up B Jump Velocity (up/down/diagonal) (F) (default = 42E6 = 115)
810D7DE8 2400 DK doesn't lose his charge punch after death
You can highlight just the code part. Another useful trick is using control-f to replace text with w/e you want. You could even capitalize every letter if you wanted. When i use control f, in search mode i select extended so I can type things like \n (new line) or \t (tab). My last trick is to use a hotkey program to save time doing repetitive tasks. Say I want to press delete 3 times and press enter, I can make 1 button do that, using Auto Hotkey.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Animation is separate from damage & hitbox, so I can have the look of the knee, but with the damage and timing of any other of Falcon's moves (I tried his neutral air for damage).
Pretty sure that's what the current knee gameshark does (nair I mean). Would it be possible to take another character's hitbox? Pikachu's fsmash/thunder aura might look better (although overpowered).

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

Assuming this is possible and it happens, what is there to stop this from becoming the standard? Instead of being forced to play on a decent stage and two not great stages, we'd have several more options and no one would miss hyrule ever again. If you get that code working and you implement stock + timed, games running too long would never be an issue either.

What would prevent this from becoming the competitive standard + ruleset?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
People having to either come in contact with KP in person or having this patched cartridge sent to them so they can practice on these stages.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
People having to either come in contact with KP in person or having this patched cartridge sent to them so they can practice on these stages.

Emulator could solve this. All you need is a 64 > USB adapter and you already have access to the competitive ruleset.

And yeah while I know this isn't technically console, this is not the only community with this issue. For super street fighter 2 turbo, obviously not everybody has access to a ssf2t arcade board with a machine. Hence most players in that community have to rely on emulation and arcade perfect ports.

Madao

How much do custom cartridges cost?

Pretty sure that's what the current knee gameshark does (nair I mean). Would it be possible to take another character's hitbox? Pikachu's fsmash/thunder aura might look better (although overpowered).
I just tried it and it works to some extent. I tried giving falcon's nair the hitbox and animation of pikachu's f smash. It was pretty glitchy because if I didn't Z cancel or auto cancel, then i'd get stuck for a while when I landed, so I think giving ground attack properties to aerial attacks is a bad idea (unless you turn on auto Z cancel code). Also the hitbox and animation is weird, so it's not flawless. For now, it's best to swap with moves the character already has, or with a similar character. Lol it was funny giving my taunt an attack hitbox. If we find a way to directly access the character data, it would be much easier to modify and make codes for.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I mean it could be done theoretically, but I think this makes the game more unreachable to new players. There might be the added draw to players to play new stages and stuff, but my guess is players would be more deterred from requirements than they would be attracted to the new stages.

Also a lot of the community is console players who don't have adapters/don't use emulators. Not so hot on the idea of gameshark/hacked cartridge rulesets.

@Madao: I dunno how much they cost and I think actually getting them to players would be harder than buying them. Sure I could get one from KP easily, but for new players I dunno how simple it would be.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I just tried it and it works to some extent. I tried giving falcon's nair the hitbox and animation of pikachu's f smash. It was pretty glitchy because if I didn't Z cancel or auto cancel, then i'd get stuck for a while when I landed, so I think giving ground attack properties to aerial attacks is a bad idea (unless you turn on auto Z cancel code). Also the hitbox and animation is weird, so it's not flawless. For now, it's best to swap with moves the character already has, or with a similar character. Lol it was funny giving my taunt an attack hitbox. If we find a way to directly access the character data, it would be much easier to modify and make codes for.
How about Pika's dair? :) I think an electric attack would make more sense for the knee.

Madao

How about Pika's dair? :) I think an electric attack would make more sense for the knee.
Unforunately when I tried copying Pika's Dair & Fair's hitbox to Falcon's Fair, no hitbox would even appear. This time, the animation looked more realistic though xD. The special effects aren't there either. Honestly though, moveswap isn't really that good. When I can finally access the character data directly, we will be able to have some very fun hacks.

[collapse=How to make moveset data codes]

As you can see in the first picture Kirby's Utilt does 14 damage. When you click on the 14, it shows you where it gets the data from. This is important if you want to change that 14, into another number. The game uses some weird formula to get a lot of it's numbers for moveset data. Colums D - H are hex values that determine the characters hitbox data. If you change those numbers, the other data in Toomai's spreadsheet will also change. For damage, it will be the 6th and 7th digit of column D, to change it. If you want to change the timing of hitboxes, you can edit 2 commands. After means on frame X, it continues to the next part of the code. In the case of Kirby's Utilt, the hitbox starts on frame 4, because of the code "After 4", so you can change the 4 to any number. The command wait does exactly what it means. Wait 2 means it waits 2 frames, then continues to the next action, so if you want to increase the time that kirby's utilt is stronger, then change that 2 to w/e number you want. The most annoying part of making these type of codes is that it's specific to that stage and mode. An easy way to find the address is to copy the hex data from Toomai's chart, I usually copy 8 bytes in reverse order so say you see the values 0c03a1d0 01180000, you type in 011800000c03a1d0 and search it as 8 Byte Hex in cheat engine. If you are using Nemu with cheat engine, you can quickly convert the addresses to N64 by adding 6FFE0000. Now that you guys have some idea on how this works, you can test it and make codes yourself. I will expand on how to get addresses, later on. In the meantime, I can provide addresses on request, until I find a faster way for you guys to find it.

The addresses displayed in Toomai's spreadsheet is for Player 1 Training Mode Dream Land. 802F9548 is where kirby's Utilt starts
[/collapse]

Later I can show you guys how to patch simple codes into the rom. I guess no one tried my patch :(.

Dext3rM.

Smash Apprentice
is it posible to add the hit box code a hitsun code with red color plssss ? that would help to make more shield breaks and combos ill be waiting for ur answer thx

Madao

is it posible to add the hit box code a hitsun code with red color plssss ? that would help to make more shield breaks and combos ill be waiting for ur answer thx
If you mean making a character glow red when they are in hitstun, I don't know how to do that sorry. For now, I'm only able to do what the game is already programmed to do, with minor changes.

Madao

I somehow seemed to have completely missed this. Can I literally turn this on anywhere in the game and I'll get hitboxes like that? Is it for all characters on screen or just one?
Everywhere in the game and for all characters. If you wanted to display for specific characters, you'd have to make a specific code for it like Player 2 in Vs Mode Dream Land. Another thing about that code is it doesn't show hitboxes for projectiles so you have to turn on the projectile hitbox code if you want to display those. You could also do only projectile hitbox and not display any other hitboxes.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
does this code work for anyone?
Pokemon Stadium Melee Cheat
Cheat240="Dream Land 2 Platforms (Pokemon Stadium)",812184D0 0000,812184D8 0000,812184E0 0000,812184E8 0000,812184F0 0000,812184F8 0000,81218500 0000,81218508 0000,81218510 0000,81218408 0000,81218400 0000,80218836 00D0,8021883C 00D0,80218842 00D0,80218836 00D0,8021883C 00D0,80218842 00D0,81131410 0002​
Activate when the battle starts, then turn it off.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I tried playing 1P mode with the hitbox mode cheat on, and everything went well until I got to the polygon team, which froze the game.

Madao

@ mixa What's it supposed to do?

Also I've been trying to hack the game and I've been able to view an uncompressed rom for SSB64. If I'm able to compress it back, I would be able to do all kinds of hacks. Another issue I have with patching is, for SSB64 it won't work on PJ64, but it works in Nemu. Yet when I did a small hack (just for testing) in Mario Kart 64, it worked on PJ64 -_-. Anyone here know anything about patching roms? I know how to patch, it's just that it's giving me errors in PJ64 about a permanent loop.

I tried playing 1P mode with the hitbox mode cheat on, and everything went well until I got to the polygon team, which froze the game.
Nice find lol! I don't think there's anything I can do about. I tried using an alternate code, but it still freezes. It probably has to do with the loading screen showing all those hitbox polygons.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
using patched roms...hmm time to get a 64drive or borrow komo's for testing....LOL 200$

@ mixa What's it supposed to do?

Also I've been trying to hack the game and I've been able to view an uncompressed rom for SSB64. If I'm able to compress it back, I would be able to do all kinds of hacks. Another issue I have with patching is, for SSB64 it won't work on PJ64, but it works in Nemu. Yet when I did a small hack (just for testing) in Mario Kart 64, it worked on PJ64 -_-. Anyone here know anything about patching roms? I know how to patch, it's just that it's giving me errors in PJ64 about a permanent loop.
try refreshing romlist????

i know when i use goldeneye or mario64 hacks i had to do that, and the displayed name would be "Bad ROM? Use GoodN64 & check for updated INI" but they still worked

Madao

It's removes the top platform of Dream Land. But it's all buggy to me.
I'll try it out and see what happens.

using patched roms...hmm time to get a 64drive or borrow komo's for testing....LOL 200$

try refreshing romlist????

i know when i use goldeneye or mario64 hacks i had to do that, and the displayed name would be "Bad ROM? Use GoodN64 & check for updated INI" but they still worked
It's not the list (although that is pretty annoying too), but when I open the rom by click on file, then open rom, it gives me this error saying something about an infinite loop.

It turns out that the Crc calculator I used, didn't work for the rom I was using. Now I can edit character's UP B Jumping heights, hitstun & hitlag formula, Z cancelling, time + stock, etc :) into the rom. Idk what I can do about hitbox mode freezing vs fighting polygon team. I'd have to find a way to skip the display in the loading screen. If someone would help me with compressing the uncompressed rom back together, I could edit moveset data and character physics.

Thanks to Danny, I was able to make falcon's knee be electrical and do 20 damage. For the gameshark code, it would be quite long lol, so I just use a cheat engine script instead since it works anywhere on any emulator :) .

I have one idea, but it's really superfluous compared to other stuff that's been proposed, and I never know how hard it'll be to code it. But yeah, I was thinking about, upon starting a match, having Player 1 spawn at Player 4's position.
It was acually much easier than I thought. I apologize if the code is buggy, so only turn it on when you are playing on that stage. Basically the game hardcodes where you spawn, so you can simply edit the area of memory that the spawn coordinates are stored. Unfortunately it's part of the compressed data so I wouldn't be able to patch a rom that has edited spawn points. Another thing is that the addresses are different for every stage.
Here's the code for Dream Land VS mode though. If Player 4 is there, then they push each other.
81218976 058D
81218978 0391

I just made a program that edits your memory and writes w/e values you want. With the press of a button I can edit a characters moveset or physics. Anyone interested in trying out Falcon with faster movement speed, slightly higher jump, and a strong electric knee attack as his fair? I could upload a savestate if anyone is interested.

Madao

So, I was watching an online Japanese 12 character battle which was uploaded 2 days ago (link), and what is this new technology?

Greatness
The first link requires me to log in, but I saw the 2nd link. Looks very interesting. You think you could contact the people who uploaded that video? If we're lucky, there's some variable that shows how many hits you recently did. I did find a variable that keeps track of how many hits you landed since your last death. You try out the spawning code?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i borrowed komo's 64 drive so i can see if ROM edits can work on console, also going to look further into cart patching later on today

mixa

Banned via Warnings
The first link requires me to log in, but I saw the 2nd link. Looks very interesting. You think you could contact the people who uploaded that video? If we're lucky, there's some variable that shows how many hits you recently did. I did find a variable that keeps track of how many hits you landed since your last death. You try out the spawning code?
I'll try, but I am not expecting anything.

I tried the slot swap, it works wonders, thanks! It's cool that it doesn't crash if player 4 spawns too.

Anyone interested in trying out Falcon with faster movement speed, slightly higher jump, and a strong electric knee attack as his fair? I could upload a savestate if anyone is interested.
of course.

Madao

I will add spawn codes for Vs Mode Dream Land and Hyrule soon.

Here's a savestate for pj 1.6. Let me know if it doesn't work. Lol I made Falcon overpowered, but it's fun. I also made the cpu Lvl 9 in the savestate.

Are there any other suggestions for gameshark codes besides HUD codes? I'm trying to find more unique things to add to the code list. In the meantime, I will try and see if i can find that variable that records your combo hits.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
It's pretty fun. The knee hitbox stays out for too long, though. It could also be smaller. His aerial movement speed kind of reminds me of Melee, lol.

I think the hightlight of this was when I kneed the CPU from the top platform, and just kneed over and over for a 0 to death combo! :D

Do you think you can replicate this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lajj8aa2R90

Madao

Lol nice video.

It's pretty fun. The knee hitbox stays out for too long, though. It could also be smaller. His aerial movement speed kind of reminds me of Melee, lol.

I think the hightlight of this was when I kneed the CPU from the top platform, and just kneed over and over for a 0 to death combo! :D

Do you think you can replicate this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lajj8aa2R90
Ya I was just messing around with the numbers, I originally wanted to turn this into a gameshark code so I didn't want to do too much tweaking since it would require more lines of code. Then I decided I might as well just make program do all the changes with the press of 1 button and it works in all matches and multiple emulators. I probably will make the hitbox smaller and last shorter. You think I should keep the damage at 20 lol?

Idk if I can replicate that moonwalk. In fact I'm not sure that I even know how to do it. I'll try finding out what causes that to happen.

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
Are there ways to disassemble an n64 ROM or build a ROM from assembly? I know both C and MIPS assembly very well, and I've heard that's what the n64 uses.

Madao

Are there ways to disassemble an n64 ROM or build a ROM from assembly? I know both C and MIPS assembly very well, and I've heard that's what the n64 uses.
Yes. You can use LemAsm or 64Disasm. If you do decide to use LemAsm, you may need to use a different tool for calculating the crc. I had issues with editing certain versions of Super Smash Bros 64, the crc was somehow incorrect.

If you want to debug N64 games, Nemu has a good debugger. There are debugger versions of Project64, but I've never tried those.

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
Yes. You can use LemAsm or 64Disasm. If you do decide to use LemAsm, you may need to use a different tool for calculating the crc. I had issues with editing certain versions of Super Smash Bros 64, the crc was somehow incorrect.

If you want to debug N64 games, Nemu has a good debugger. There are debugger versions of Project64, but I've never tried those.
Very interesting. I'm messing around with LemAsm as we speak. Do you happen to know what language the game was written in? Do they use a C or LISP compiler to generate the assembly, or is it raw? Or a combination of assembly and C (or some high level language compared to assembly)?

Madao

Very interesting. I'm messing around with LemAsm as we speak. Do you happen to know what language the game was written in? Do they use a C or LISP compiler to generate the assembly, or is it raw? Or a combination of assembly and C (or some high level language compared to assembly)?
Probably C or C++. When I did some hex editing, I saw what I believe to be C functions.

Here is what I found
Code:
Mar 16 1999 18:26:57............
gobj id:%d:.fighter.....
kind:%d, player:%d, pkind:%d....
stat:%d, mstat:%d...ga:%d...weapon..
kind:%d, player:%d..atk stat:%d.....
ga:%d...item....kind:%d, player:%d..
atk stat:%d.....ga:%d...proc update:%x..
proc map:%x.....proc hit:%x.....proc shield:%x..
proc hop:%x.....proc setoff:%x..proc reflector:%x...
proc damage:%x..effect..fgobj:%x....
proc func:%x............SYS.....
BF..addr:%x.....GP..thread:%x...func:%x.....
DFC.....addr:%x.....DFO.....cam addr:%x.....
disp addr:%x...
The dots represent 0's

What do you plan on doing with roms? Also by any chance do you know about n64 rom compression? I found a tool that lets me decompress the game and while it's decompressed, you can find all the moveset and character physics data. If only I was able to recompress the decompressed rom, I'd be able to do all kinds of hacks.

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
Probably C or C++. When I did some hex editing, I saw what I believe to be C functions.

Here is what I found
Code:
Mar 16 1999 18:26:57............
gobj id:%d:.fighter.....
kind:%d, player:%d, pkind:%d....
stat:%d, mstat:%d...ga:%d...weapon..
kind:%d, player:%d..atk stat:%d.....
ga:%d...item....kind:%d, player:%d..
atk stat:%d.....ga:%d...proc update:%x..
proc map:%x.....proc hit:%x.....proc shield:%x..
proc hop:%x.....proc setoff:%x..proc reflector:%x...
proc damage:%x..effect..fgobj:%x....
proc func:%x............SYS.....
BF..addr:%x.....GP..thread:%x...func:%x.....
DFC.....addr:%x.....DFO.....cam addr:%x.....
disp addr:%x...
The dots represent 0's

What do you plan on doing with roms? Also by any chance do you know about n64 rom compression? I found a tool that lets me decompress the game and while it's decompressed, you can find all the moveset and character physics data. If only I was able to recompress the decompressed rom, I'd be able to do all kinds of hacks.

Can you link me to the de-compressor? I'd love to check it out.

To start, I'd like to be able to just edit registers and see how the game is affected. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to reskin the characters or adjust the movesets, but I'm not sure I'll have the time / ambition / ability to do that.

I'm not expert about ROM compression, but I think it's safe to say that different software companies use different compression algorithms. I would assume most use something similar to DEFLATE, or at the very least employ Huffman coding, but I'm horribly ignorant about the specific implementations used by different games.

Madao

Can you link me to the de-compressor? I'd love to check it out.

To start, I'd like to be able to just edit registers and see how the game is affected. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to reskin the characters or adjust the movesets, but I'm not sure I'll have the time / ambition / ability to do that.

I'm not expert about ROM compression, but I think it's safe to say that different software companies use different compression algorithms. I would assume most use something similar to DEFLATE, or at the very least employ Huffman coding, but I'm horribly ignorant about the specific implementations used by different games.
Smash Bros uses vpk0 I believe. I'm a decent programmer, but I don't know too many algorithms. I should study it a lot more.
There's 2 rom decompressors that I know of. http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=213 . This one is pretty good, although I'm not sure if it extracts everything. The other one is called Midwaydec, but I'll have to see where I can find the latest version. You will need python to run Midwaydec. It takes a lot longer to extract with Midwaydec, but it extracted more data out of the rom lol.

For testing, you can just memory edit and step through instructions with a debugger while playing the game. Then when you find what you need, you can apply a patch to the actual rom. The only hassle is figuring out the hex value for each instruction, so I downloaded this tool called MassHexASM, although it's missing FPU instructions lol. I recommend you just keep a list of important addresses, so you can keep track of what you find.

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
Auto Z Cancel doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? That cheat would really give my scrub friends a new appreciation for the game

Madao

Auto Z Cancel doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? That cheat would really give my scrub friends a new appreciation for the game
Are you using the code on emulator? If so, which emulator? I just tested it in Nemu and Project64 1.6 and the code worked for both of them. An easy way to test if it works is to do Link's dair.

Also since this code changes an instruction, and not a variable in memory, you have to turn the code on before starting a match (this statement only applies to emulator). If you are playing emulator and are in training mode, reseting will not fix, so you have to select exit. If you tried Link's dair and it doesn't work, let me know. I could post different codes.

Top Bottom