• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Games That Other People Think Are Complete Garbage That You Happen to Enjoy

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Wait, first ten chapters sounds like a lot for a game. How many are there? Also yeah, FFX was so linear that it didn't even have a proper world map (the thing on the ship doesn't count), which *really* surprised me considering how much that game is praised.

Also, a game I never hear people talk about is Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, this weird kinda point/click adventure game where you couldn't actually control Pac-Man, but would interact with his environment and suggest him to do things.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Wait, first ten chapters sounds like a lot for a game. How many are there? Also yeah, FFX was so linear that it didn't even have a proper world map (the thing on the ship doesn't count), which *really* surprised me considering how much that game is praised.
Yes. The first 10 chapters is a pretty long time but if you're willing to accept that, it isn't horrible. Also, they mix it up as it goes on. In an area called the Sunleth Waterscape, you change can the weather to manipulate the types of enemies you encounter, giving the ability to avoid extremely powerful enemies that you're actually encouraged to avoid rather than fight. Branching paths also become a lot more common as you progress and the battle system should keep your interest.

finalark

SNORLAX
FFX gets a bit of a free ride because it came out over a decade ago, meaning that it gets some protection from the almighty nostalgia barrier. Not to mention that the game was released while Square was still riding high on FFVII hype, so these two factors are why FFX never really gets criticized for linearity despite being a very linear game. Although on the whole FFX really is just a better game than XIII IMO.

That being said, I'll agree that FFXIII really isn't all that bad. I avoided it like the plague for years until it hit the $20 mark. After I finally got around to actually trying it I was surprised to find that it really wasn't all that bad. Flawed, yes, but it wasn't the horrible, franchise-ruining abomination that people made it out to be. I just wish Squeenix didn't shove Lightning down our throats at every turn.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I think there are people who like this game/series, but they're probably like me and just ashamed to like it. I'm talking of course about Bubsy. Is the game bad? Yes, but it is playable and for all the bad things about the game and series, it does one thing that no other game or series can do: make you feel happy that your main character is suffering.

As for a game that I don't think anyone could enjoy though, I'd have to say Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. The game is slow as molasses, the enemies can hit you from afar and take at least half of your lifebar and the sounds and sights of the game are bland. But for some reason I do like it for its challenge. There's the challenge of having to deal with all the BS that happens throughout the game, and there's the challenge of just making it to the next part of a level.

finalark

SNORLAX
I especially the Revelations games.
I think most people like the Revelations series because they're games with likable characters and cheesy dialog but still have a creepy atmosphere and focus on fighting dangerous monsters in tight corridors with limited resources. In other words, everything that attracted people to the series in the first place.

Fun fact, I'm playing the Wii U version of Revelations right now. This is my fourth play though of this game and it's honestly my favorite RE game.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I would absolutely kill for Reckin Balls to get a re-release or spiritual successor or something with that style and gameplay.

That and Uniracers, on the SNES.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think most people like the Revelations series because they're games with likable characters and cheesy dialog but still have a creepy atmosphere and focus on fighting dangerous monsters in tight corridors with limited resources. In other words, everything that attracted people to the series in the first place.

Fun fact, I'm playing the Wii U version of Revelations right now. This is my fourth play though of this game and it's honestly my favorite RE game.
I've been seeing Revelations and Revelations 2 getting a LOT of flak.
Especially Revelations 2.
Partially because it's an episodic game.
Partially because it's a third-person shooter.
Partially because they hate the dual character system.
But mostly because it isn't Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, and CV. And that makes me sad.
Revelations 2 is slowly rising in my ranks honestly...my favorite is the REmake but I'm really enjoying it due to a combination of Raid Mode and Moira's dialogue/everything.

finalark

SNORLAX
I still haven't played Revelations 2 because I'm waiting to pick it up on PS4 down the line, but it looks fantastic to me. Besides, the "untouchable" Resi4 is a third person shooter with segments where you have to take care of two characters. Anyone who says that game doesn't give you a whole lot of a lot of ammo is just saying that because it's Resident Evil and the games are "supposed to" not give you a lot of resources.

Wow that came out a lot more salty than I intended.

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
Custom Robo Arena - has anyone else played this on wifi back in the day?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Gotcha Force.

Everybody I know that's played it loves it, but I know very, very few people that have played it.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Never even heard of it.
Tragic.

It's a real-time team battle game that pits teams of tiny machines called Gotcha Borgs against one-another in an all-out war for playground supremacy. The characters are all anime children that have their own Borgs, so there's an element of the Pokémon / Digimon spirit to it, and you can collect more Borgs as you progress through the game, ultimately numbering in hundreds. Each Borg is also based on a different "tribe", e.g. humans, superheroes, robots, insects, vehicles and aliens.

Half the fun of the game is building the perfect team of your favourite Borgs, and the other half is actually fighting wit them. The multiplayer is great and up to four people can build teams and fight each-other in real-time action. There's also a story mode that sees you tackling the Galactic Empire and their army of evil Borgs, the difficulty scaling up pretty intensely as you progress through the campaign.

It was created by Capcom around the early Noughties and released on the Gamecube, but while it experienced a decent amount of popularity in Japan, it was totally overlooked elsewhere. It's not even a cult classic, I'm pretty sure 99.9% of vidya enthusiasts haven't even set eyes on its wondrous disc.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Tragic.

It's a real-time team battle game that pits teams of tiny machines called Gotcha Borgs against one-another in an all-out war for playground supremacy. The characters are all anime children that have their own Borgs, so there's an element of the Pokémon / Digimon spirit to it, and you can collect more Borgs as you progress through the game, ultimately numbering in hundreds. Each Borg is also based on a different "tribe", e.g. humans, superheroes, robots, insects, vehicles and aliens.

Half the fun of the game is building the perfect team of your favourite Borgs, and the other half is actually fighting wit them. The multiplayer is great and up to four people can build teams and fight each-other in real-time action. There's also a story mode that sees you tackling the Galactic Empire and their army of evil Borgs, the difficulty scaling up pretty intensely as you progress through the campaign.

It was created by Capcom around the early Noughties and released on the Gamecube, but while it experienced a decent amount of popularity in Japan, it was totally overlooked elsewhere. It's not even a cult classic, I'm pretty sure 99.9% of vidya enthusiasts haven't even set eyes on its wondrous disc.
I'm a Star Trek fan so I think of evil when I see the word Borg:)

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Gacha Force is one of those games that I would see pretty regularly, but never when I had any money. I should try and hunt down a cheap copy someday.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's come to my attention that people have been getting this thread confused with this one.

To discuss awesome games that hardly anyone has played, go to the above thread.

To discuss games that you like but are seemingly universally disliked by nearly everyone who has played them, post here.

EDIT: I'm going to add this to the OP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom