• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Games That Other People Think Are Complete Garbage That You Happen to Enjoy

finalark

SNORLAX
Have you ever had that experience where you hear about a game that people are claiming to be mediocre, terrible or even offensively bad? With your curiosity peaked, you decide to give this supposed "worst game ever" a spin only to find that's it's actually not that bad. As a matter of fact, it's actually pretty fun once you get past its flaws. Heck, maybe you even like this game, contrary to the general census.

So, has anyone ever had this experience? If so, feel free to come in and share your unusual opinion!

Also! This is important:

It's come to my attention that people have been getting this thread confused with this one.

To discuss awesome games that hardly anyone has played, go to the above thread.

To discuss games that you like but are seemingly universally disliked by nearly everyone who has played them, post here.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
The original Dynasty Warriors Gundam comes to mind. A lot of people I talked to about it seemed to completely hate it, but it's not bad. Not my favorite DW-style game (That's Sengoku Basara 3), but murdering a bunch of cannon fodder Zaku is always fun.

D

Deleted member

Sonic 06 is the best worst game that I have ever played. The game is so bad that I can't help but love it because it's bad.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Neverwinter Nights 2. Sure, it isn't as good as the first one (level creation in 2 wasn't as good as it was in 1 and the UI wasn't as intuitive), but I thought it still was a great game. The plot kept me hooked a majority of the time, there were numerous areas with secrets to explore, and the multiplayer worked except for only one player had cutscenes. There were a few bugs, sure, but it was an overall great game. Its main problem was that it was overhyped and there was no game that could have realistically lived up to the expectation it came along with.

Also, I wanted to put this in a different category because this only half-suits this category: the Sonic Adventure games. Anywhere from the time the game came out until about 2011, everyone would say that these games were masterpieces. The graphics were great for the Dreamcast (and still looked good on the updated GC ports), the soundtrack was good, the game didn't lag, and the game was designed exceptionally well. Chao Garden was a place I spent a majority of my childhood in that game and the gameplay was exceptional. The story usually kept me interested and it was actually the first game that made me cry (RIP E-102 GAMMA) and I almost cried again at the end of 2 (RIP? Shadow (Maybe a clone based on the end of Heroes and depending on what ending of Shadow the Hedgehog is canon)). They were great games.

[rant]
However, the general feel towards the game has shifted over the years and now for some reason people are complaining about the game. A lot of people are complaining about the cutscenes (they look bad today, but they were ambitious seeing as the game was made in 1998), the graphics (looks good compared to other games of that time), the controls (feel fine to me), and that the camera was bad (a valid point, but it was acceptable for the time). This looks, sounds, and in my opinion, feels better than Mario 64, which came out just two years before SA1. I could trash on Mario 64 all day and people would say "but it was revolutionary for its time," but in the same breath they would say "Sonic Adventure is a horrible game." I guess my problem with people trashing on SA1&2 is the fact a majority of the time, they don't actually have valid reasons and are just riding the "LOL SANIC SUX" bandwagon.
[/rant]

Last edited:

Panda Yuki

Smash Rookie
NNID
PandaYuki
Mario Kart Wii, everyone always talks about it being the worst one, but I had a blast with that game.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Despite the absurd endings...Star Fox Command was still fun to play. The touch controls never bothered me and it was cool getting to discover the different paths within the game.
(It also helped me get interested into wanting to play the other games in the series after having only played the SNES game.)
Plus, you got to play as numerous pilots besides just Fox. Freakin' Bill Grey!
I'll leave now...

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
A lot of people are complaining about the cutscenes (they look bad today, but they were ambitious seeing as the game was made in 1998), the graphics (looks good compared to other games of that time), the controls (feel fine to me), and that the camera was bad (a valid point, but it was acceptable for the time). This looks, sounds, and in my opinion, feels better than Mario 64, which came out just two years before SA1. I could trash on Mario 64 all day and people would say "but it was revolutionary for its time," but in the same breath they would say "Sonic Adventure is a horrible game."
I will argue that, despite it being a childhood classic of mine, SA1 really hasn't aged well. I don't list my criticisms mostly because they've all been said before (although I will add that the physics go to **** once you try to do anything fancy). That being said, I don't think Mario 64 holds up all that well either. IMO, if you have to excuse a game's flaws with the words "for its time" or "back in the day" that's just a sign that the game has aged badly.

But yeah, I've noticed that right the **** out of nowhere some time around the beginning of the 10s the Sonic Adventure series somehow went from the "only good 3D Sonic games" to "just as bad as the new ones." I'll second you on saying that it's because people just like to rag on Sonic non-stop. Which is a shame because I remember back in the mid-00s everyone was clamoring for SEGA to get their act together and bring the blue blur back to glory. Now that we've actually had a number of good Sonic games it looks like people preferred to make fun of him instead.

I know I've said that a million times before in a million other threads but it really irks me because Sonic is the only platformer series I've ever really cared about.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
All of my favorite Sonic games are, in mathematical terms, [Sonic Adventure, Sonic and the Black Knight].

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
IMO, if you have to excuse a game's flaws with the words "for its time" or "back in the day" that's just a sign that the game has aged badly.
Agreed. The only 3D platforms I've played from that time that hold up well are the Banjo-Kazooie games and the original Spyro trilogy (although I might be missing something because I haven't played all of the 3D platformers of the late 90s). I still think that 2 holds up decently well, but that was 2001 and all of the 6th gen consoles were released by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Speaking of Spyro, I remember liking A Hero's Tail a lot despite having some issues. Not many people liked the game because for one, it wasn't made by Insomniac. The other is that all of the characters (excluding the new guys) act completely OOC. I still don't think A Hero's Tail is bad. Enter the Dragonfly was worse.

CArniE

Smash Cadet
NNID
TokioCore
Ah theres this MMO called Jade Dynasty, it's ran by perfect world. The game is like 95% pay to win, the community managers and GMs' are non existent. The only thing added in patches are updates to the cash shop. But it's a fun game if you've spent a **** ton of money and time on it lol

swiggu

Smash Rookie
Conquer 2.0. It's a really old overhead-view MMO (kinda like Diablo) made in like 2004 or something. It was never really updated and it's originally Chinese, I believe. They still run their official servers. Nobody I know ever liked this game besides a friend of mine. It's become too easy to level up and there's really nothing good about it anymore, but I still play it for the sake of irony.

finalark

SNORLAX
Speaking of Spyro, I remember liking A Hero's Tail a lot despite having some issues. Not many people liked the game because for one, it wasn't made by Insomniac. The other is that all of the characters (excluding the new guys) act completely OOC. I still don't think A Hero's Tail is bad. Enter the Dragonfly was worse.
After years of refusing to touch the non-Insomniac Spyro games I decided to give Hero's Tail a try a few months ago. Playing it completely nostalgia free, I can easily say that it's actually a decent game. Flawed, sure, but enjoyable.

ner1n

Smash Rookie
Rugrats in Paris for the PS1 is the first game that comes to mind.
I think it's easy for a game reviewer to pick on a kid's game and say it's terrible and that the mini-games are disgusting and blah. When I was a kid I adored that game, I loved the mini-games and I loved the semi-free roaming of the tiny amusement park.

I'm pretty sure I'd be bored to death if I played it now that I'm an adult, but that doesn't make it a bad game.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Fortune Street, at least locally. I am the only one with enough patience to play one full game.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Halo 3

Everytime I play that with people they always quit against me and never play against me again ):
I miss Halo 3.

As for games I like, and no one else did, Custom Robo, God Hand, Okami, and Vanquish.

Oh, and I almost forgot the biggest one of them all: Too Human. I had a lot of fun with that game.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt for the Nintendo 64. It's hardly a good game and it got rightfully panned by critics and gamers alike, but there's a certain charm to it that keeps me coming back. If any youtuber did a game version of mystery science theater 3000 (and I have a hard time believing no one has yet), this game should be front and center on a "must play" list.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
SNES port of Castlevania: Dracula X (Rondo of Blood). Alot of people did not like this port mostly it was really hard to beat but i honestly like it in some degree. There are some parts where the level design can be a mess (Specially the final boss) and has bad enemy placement but it can be a good game.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
SNES port of Castlevania: Dracula X (Rondo of Blood). Alot of people did not like this port mostly it was really hard to beat but i honestly like it in some degree. There are some parts where the level design can be a mess (Specially the final boss) and has bad enemy placement but it can be a good game.
Rondo of Blood is basically the only CastleVania game I could play for some reason.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Rondo of Blood is basically the only CastleVania game I could play for some reason.
Fun fact: I once considered that Rondo of Blood was the hardest game i ever played lol. However once i did actually played through game with no continues but did die alot but... now i have gotten used to the game and got a 100% save file.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
I played Super Mario Sunshine a lot growing up, and still even fantasize about it sometime getting a 2-player mode. What surprised me was the amount of bad rep it got. Heck there is even a song on youtube that talks about how bad the game is. It baffled me, but the camera angles could use some use some work. I still feel it was an amazing mario game.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
As for games I like, and no one else did, Custom Robo, God Hand, Okami, and Vanquish.
You don't know how wrong you are. Tons of people love Okami alone.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I played Super Mario Sunshine a lot growing up, and still even fantasize about it sometime getting a 2-player mode. What surprised me was the amount of bad rep it got.
Most people I know like Sunshine. From what I can tell, most of the people who disliked it were the same ones who were butthurt over WW's graphics back in the day. In addition to being butthurt that every other GCN game wasn't exactly the same as their N64 counterparts.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Most people I know like Sunshine. From what I can tell, most of the people who disliked it were the same ones who were butthurt over WW's graphics back in the day. In addition to being butthurt that every other GCN game wasn't exactly the same as their N64 counterparts.
Metroid Prime isn't like Metroid 6-wait a minute.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Out of all the people I personally know, none knows about Okami.
Okami is the kind of game that people love, but it wasn't exactly popular. It didn't sell well but reviews were glowing and you hear almost nothing but positivity for it when its name is mentioned. Kind of like TWEWY, and we should both know that better than anyone.

finalark

SNORLAX
Pretty much was @ Twewy Twewy said. It's not that a vast majority of people dislike Okami, it's just that very few people have actually played it. Same goes for games like Skies of Arcadia or Beyond Good and Evil.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Exactly. They aren't big names like Mario, Halo, or Angry Birds, but that doesn't mean they aren't liked. Otherwise IGN's poorly written review of God Hand would make sense and we would all understand why the staff thinks Imagine Party Babyz is the superior game.

NintendoReaper

Smash Rookie
NNID
NReaper
3DS FC
0834-2145-7839
I don't know if Zelda Twilight Princess counts but, I do hear it getting a lot of flak. Personally it's my favorite Zelda game.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
TLoZ: Spirit Tracks gets a lot of hate for having train elements in a Zelda game, though I still love it.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I won't deny that Star Fox Assault has it's various flaws and whatnot, but I've always enjoyed this game! I've always envisioned Star Fox being more then just strictly aircombat.
They're Mercenaries! :facepalm:

Even if Star Fox might never go back to Assault's way of ground missions (with improvements of course), I'm very happy U's will have some form of ground missions with the Arwing transforming into a tank. (Thinking Star Fox 2...)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Mine's not about what people dislike, but more about what people sort of shrugged off without giving it a real try. My pick is Mega Man X Command Mission. It's actually a really great JRPG with a good budget. Unfortunately a lot of MMX fans didn't really look at the spinoff title while a lot of JRPG fans looked elsewhere for games.

It's made by a good deal of Breath of Fire people and had a really fun battle system. It's pure turn based along with a FFX styled row that shows the order of which character or enemy gets to act next. It features some Mario RPG styled elements to power up your skills before you use them.

The game featured X, Zero, and Axl along with new characters for the game. The character design and art style's actually rather neat. You don't usually get a lot of JRPGs with robotic characters, so the designs come off rather creative instead of something too generic for me.

I'll probably get around to posting some of the music in the Light House Music Appreciation thread. Had some pretty good ones iirc.

Last edited:

Polen

Smash Rookie
I never hear people talking about Kid Icarus Uprising.
It's one of my favorite 3DS games, and one of my favorite games in general.

Top Bottom