• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Games That Other People Think Are Complete Garbage That You Happen to Enjoy

Gutei

Smash Cadet
Kid Chamelon for Sega Genesis. I have never once met another person who has played that game. It was - and still is - one of my most favorite platformers to date. It was just so rad.

Dino City from the SNES was also pretty dang cool. I was a huge platformer kid.

Maybe not a lot of people had it at home, but DDR (I had Extreme 2) was probably one of the best things for mne in MS/early HS. It was fun, I got to learn about new music, and I actually had to move. I lost so much weight getting up to Extreme/Challenge mode.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
If it counts, Hyrule Warriors. I know there are people that like the game as well, but I know not a lot do. It's probably my most played Wii U game along with a few others.

Also, Kirby Air Ride for the GCN.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
If it counts, Hyrule Warriors. I know there are people that like the game as well, but I know not a lot do. It's probably my most played Wii U game along with a few others.

Also, Kirby Air Ride for the GCN.
People don't like Hyrule Warriors? I thought everybody loved it.

With you on Air Ride, though. I have so many great memories of City Trial. Remember the Wheelie Scooter jump bug?

finalark

SNORLAX
I think when it comes to Hyrule Warriors there's just a small but very vocal group who are irked that it's not Zelda U.

On the note of Kirby's Air Ride, I loved it as a kid but back in the day it was dismissed as a Mario Kart clone, even though anyone who actually played the game could tell you otherwise. To this day my friends and I still break it out whenever everyone is in town. I'm so glad that this game has gotten such a cult following over the years, I used to think it was doomed to be forgotten about and burred under Mario Kart.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
On the note of Kirby's Air Ride, I loved it as a kid but back in the day it was dismissed as a Mario Kart clone, even though anyone who actually played the game could tell you otherwise. To this day my friends and I still break it out whenever everyone is in town. I'm so glad that this game has gotten such a cult following over the years, I used to think it was doomed to be forgotten about and burred under Mario Kart.
Believe it or not, I played Kirby Air Ride more than Mario Kart: Double Dash at the time. I still play it to this day depending on how bored I am.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Believe it or not, I played Kirby Air Ride more than Mario Kart: Double Dash at the time. I still play it to this day depending on how bored I am.
Yeah, my sister and I made an entire ruleset for city trial (trading stars is allowed only in the "trading post" beneath the city rail station (not the castle one, the other one), no hitting each-other unless someone had two legendary pieces and the other person had the third, etc.), nicknames for all of the stars, and played it until we unlocked nearly every achievement in the game. We still play it whenever she comes home from college (although since she's graduating in a year and a quarter, we might not get to play it together as often).

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Not sure if anyone played it, but I had a blast with my brother when he was alive playing Iggy's Reckin Balls on our N64. For those that don't know it was this really out of the box racing game. Was odd in such a way that was comforting. Good memories.

Oh and I like this mobile game called Heroes Charge that no one else seems to like.

Last edited:

ArcticEight

Smash Rookie
NNID
ArcticEight
Probably the original Crash games on PS1. I loved those games, but they felt a bit overlooked. Fun fact, I played Crash Team Racing more than Mario Kart 64.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Probably the original Crash games on PS1. I loved those games, but they felt a bit overlooked. Fun fact, I played Crash Team Racing more than Mario Kart 64.
Not really. I know there are people that talk about Crash a lot, so the series isn't that overlooked. Along with Kirby Air Ride, I played Crash Team Racing more than Mario Kart because I thought it was more fun and interesting. :p

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I agree that Crash Bandicoot was great, but he was extremely popular at the time and is considered one of the mascots of the PS1. He hasn't really had a good game since Naughty Dog handed off the IP over a decade ago, though, so he seems a bit forgotten in modern-day gaming. I'd put him with Spyro on the popularity scale; extremely popular but hasn't had a great game in over 10 years (PS2 games were decent but not great and I don't consider Skylanders a Spyro game nor do I consider it good).

EDIT: Wow, Heroine of Wind and I posted at pretty much the same time!

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I agree that Crash Bandicoot was great, but he was extremely popular at the time and is considered one of the mascots of the PS1. He hasn't really had a good game since Naughty Dog handed off the IP over a decade ago, though, so he seems a bit forgotten in modern-day gaming. I'd put him with Spyro on the popularity scale; extremely popular but hasn't had a great game in over 10 years (PS2 games were decent but not great and I don't consider Skylanders a Spyro game nor do I consider it good).
Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity weren't too bad, but compared to the Naughty Dog ones, they felt pretty mediocre. It's a darn shame Activison hasn't done anything with Crash ever since they owned the IP. Only thing they did with it was make iOS games, but that was it.

For Spyro, Skylanders isn't a bad series, but they're not Spyro games at all. I'm glad I stopped after the second game because I don't want to pay tons of money on starter packs alone.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Anyone remember Blinx? Back when Xbox first came out, Blinx was touted as being such a state of the art game for the most state of the art system.

finalark

SNORLAX
Anyone remember Blinx? Back when Xbox first came out, Blinx was touted as being such a state of the art game for the most state of the art system.
A friend of mine had this game and it's sequel. Time manipulation isn't exactly something that's never been done before, but I thought both games were pretty neat. It's a shame that MS never did anything with the series after Blinx 2.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
A friend of mine had this game and it's sequel. Time manipulation isn't exactly something that's never been done before, but I thought both games were pretty neat. It's a shame that MS never did anything with the series after Blinx 2.
I never played the second one. The first one kind of annoyed me so I never had the need to get the second one. Besides, it was completely eclipsed by Halo 2 hype.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
While I'm not sure this counts, I always remember liking Resident Evil 1: Director's Cut (never played the original original) for the really cheesy and corny voice acting. People bash on it, but I found it oddly endearing and entertaining.

Also, I really liked Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, but nobody seems to like it or whatever. There's also Maximum Carnage on the SNES. People say it's just a meh beat'em up, but I really had a lot of fun with it. But, the big one for me is that well, I really like FFVIII and think it's really underrated. Like, I actually prefer it to FFVII in a lot of ways, I think.

finalark

SNORLAX
Also, I really liked Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, but nobody seems to like it or whatever.
Portrait of Ruin is actually tied with Rondo of Blood as my favorite Castlevania game. Being the first one I've ever played probably has something to do with it, but damn is it fun. I've played through PoR at least four times now.

But, the big one for me is that well, I really like FFVIII and think it's really underrated. Like, I actually prefer it to FFVII in a lot of ways, I think.
I feel like FFVIII is just kind of a love-it-or-hate-it game. The only thing I can really say about it that I feel like isn't completely subjective is that the game play is deeper than FFVII's, but less accessible. In terms of story and the overall feel of the game, I think it comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:

ArcticEight

Smash Rookie
NNID
ArcticEight
I liked most Crash games up to Twinsanity, that game just wasn't my type of thing.

Portrait of Ruin is actually tied with Rondo of Blood as my favorite Castlevania game. Being the first one I've ever played probably has something to do with it, but damn is it fun. I've played through PoR at least four times now.
I have to agree, PoR is a really fun game.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Vectorman was another game I enjoyed playing when I was really young. I think there was a sequel but I don't really feel like looking it up.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Vectorman was another game I enjoyed playing when I was really young. I think there was a sequel but I don't really feel like looking it up.
Yup!

The only reason I remember is because a friend of mine had it as... some kinda bonus game, I think, on one of the Sonic collections.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yup!

The only reason I remember is because a friend of mine had it as... some kinda bonus game, I think, on one of the Sonic collections.
Thank you for clarifying. I liked how he could transform into different things.

Also I used to love the second Toejam and Earl game. Ahh, memories.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Minority report for GameCube. One of y all time favorites, especially with the cheats. Just unnecessarily stupid and violent and fun

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I keep remembering games.....I used to love playing the original Worms on PS1 (and Saturn). Someone stole it from us though.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I loved raising the "evil" ones. Strange that the evil ones were also the cutest.

Last edited:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I think everyone did.
Actually, after reading posts online, it seems that the majority of players thought Chao were a nuisance and were not very entertaining... I doubt we'll ever see them again, which is a shame, as they were so fun and unique (and the only reason I played SA2B).

finalark

SNORLAX
Actually, after reading posts online, it seems that the majority of players thought Chao were a nuisance and were not very entertaining... I doubt we'll ever see them again, which is a shame, as they were so fun and unique (and the only reason I played SA2B).
That's strange, since the Chao and City Escape are what 90% of people remember about that game. I'd image that these people are probably in the minority.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
That's strange, since the Chao and City Escape are what 90% of people remember about that game. I'd image that these people are probably in the minority.
Ah... after reading up on some forums, it seems people disliked them primarily for the fact that the were mandatory to 100% complete the game. For the people who did not want to raise Chao, but were determined to beat the game entirely, were forced to raise Chao to get Emblems.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Wait, they were mandatory for 100%?

Also just throwing it out that I would absolutely buy a bigger version of Chao Garden as a standalone thing.

finalark

SNORLAX
I hardly ever hear people talking about the Fire Emblem games without "Awakening" in its title on the internet
Unfortunately, Awakening is the the FFVII of Fire Emblem. Just give a few years to a decade, eventually people will calm down about it. Although that's just within the fan base. IMO until the end of time non-fans of the series will probably always associate FE with Awakening.

Wait, they were mandatory for 100%?
Yeah, in SA2:B you needed to get emblems for Chao karate and racing. Those didn't have emblems in SA2 IIRC which is why some completionists might be a bit irked.

Last edited:

JenDarknight

Smash Rookie
NNID
JenDarknight
Sadly, I have a lot of these...and almost all of them are FMV games on the Sega CD.

What can I say? I was one of those kids who was suckered in to wanting a Sega CD and 32X, and screamed myself red until my parents bought me one. I played Double Switch, Sewer Shark, Microcosm, the various Sega CD RPGs, Jurassic Park, and a whole slew of others. I'll willingly admit that a lot of my fairness to these games comes from nostalgia, but honestly, several of the notorious titles aren't too bad if you have the mindset for them.

Sewer Shark, while not perfect, is a decent rail-shooter with good hit detection that was marred by one of the worst learning curves I've ever seen in my life. If you don't know how to play it, it's an awful experience, but once you figure it out, it's actually pretty fun (and the story and acting are hilarious),

Time Gal is one of my all-time favorite Sega CD games. When I was a kid, it was because I could play as a cute girl, but now it's just because it's fun to watch, even if the video quality is awful on the Sega CD (and the voice acting is so bad it's good).

Jurassic Park is probably one of the least obtuse (except near the end) adventure games I've ever played, and while it's hard to figure out, a lot of the puzzles do work on real logic. Except...well, there are tricks to get through the game as fast as possible, which you have to figure out with multiple playthroughs (or an FAQ), but I think that just makes the game more fun!

Outside of the Sega CD...hmmm. Magical School Lunar, maybe. It was childish and definitely written for young girls (and messed with the canon in ways I can't even begin to say), but I thought it was charming. Though the Random Battle Syndrome was WAAAY overdone in this, with some battles happening with each concurrent step.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Props to all my Kirby Air Riders out there. City Trial crew hollah!

Right off the top of my head, Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg was a game that suffered due to a lot of bad platforming design with the game's main gimmick. Yet I cherish that game with rose-tinted Nostalgicles. It was really fun in multiplayer with friends invested in the game, hatching all those kooky creatures and sicking them on your friend and their eggs. The Sega Eggs were basically holy monoliths to us, where we would grow it right on spawn and pledge not to destroy it. Whoever did, w'ed berate our frustration at.

That game had a surrealist, stylistic charm that a lot of game lack nowadays. The chicken and egg-rolling concept was really original! I'd totally be down for a sequel as long as they fix all the parts of the game that made it lackluster.

finalark

SNORLAX
Anyone else here like Alan Wake? I was dismissed by a lot of people as just kinda average when it came out, and to be fair it is kind of is. The game play is what you'd expect from the survival horror genre in a post-RE4/pre-Amnesia world. Over-the-shoulder camera, an emphasis on combat and exploration. That being said, I really liked a lot of stuff that the game had to off. I thought the game's light/darkness motif was interesting and was utilized in interesting ways. Plus I thought the story was very engaging and I actually liked the characters and wanted to see where Remedy would take a possible sequel.

Unfortunately, the closest thing we ever got to a sequel was a short spin-off called Alan Wake American Nightmare, which was underwhelming to say the least. A sequel was in development and it would have had some really neat features like puzzles based around Alan's ability to change reality, a more confidence and experienced Alan and an Arizona setting (as an Arizonan, this appeals to me). But Alan Wake 2 was turned into American Nightmare and Remedy ditched the franchise to work on other projects.

Poppy JR.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Poppy JR.
3DS FC
3668-8475-0899
Anyone else here like Alan Wake? I was dismissed by a lot of people as just kinda average when it came out, and to be fair it is kind of is. The game play is what you'd expect from the survival horror genre in a post-RE4/pre-Amnesia world. Over-the-shoulder camera, an emphasis on combat and exploration. That being said, I really liked a lot of stuff that the game had to off. I thought the game's light/darkness motif was interesting and was utilized in interesting ways. Plus I thought the story was very engaging and I actually liked the characters and wanted to see where Remedy would take a possible sequel.

Unfortunately, the closest thing we ever got to a sequel was a short spin-off called Alan Wake American Nightmare, which was underwhelming to say the least. A sequel was in development and it would have had some really neat features like puzzles based around Alan's ability to change reality, a more confidence and experienced Alan and an Arizona setting (as an Arizonan, this appeals to me). But Alan Wake 2 was turned into American Nightmare and Remedy ditched the franchise to work on other projects.

I've always wanted to play it because I'm a big fan of Twin Peaks. I know some people didn't like it, but just the fact that it is touted as "The Twin Peaks-ish" game makes me want to play it.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Wow, someone referenced Time Gal last night? I saw a Retsupurae of a playthrough on that game and for as simple as it is, the whole thing's just ridiculously over the top.

Last edited:

Mastergabe2000

Smash Rookie
One of my definite choices for this list is Radiant Historia. Between the pretty high-average reviews and the fact it's only sold .28 million copies within the last 5 years (which is less than the amount of copies EARTHBOUND of all things sold), it's an amazing game with a great mix of a beautiful soundtrack, a pretty great story, and some of the most unique gameplay in a turn-based RPG, with the enemies in combat being based on a grid and being able to be pushed around and racking up insane attack combos later on in the game. However, beware that you may need to shell out everything short of your soul if you're too lazy to search on Amazon

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Now that I've finally played it, Final Fantasy XIII. It doesn't live up to the massive amount of hype that was built around it but I still think it's a good game.

Yes, the areas within the first 10 chapters are super-linear but it makes sense in the context of the main characters being fugitives and constantly on the run. Honestly, I feel like the game's pacing is a much bigger issue. Also, Final Fantasy IX and X were very linear games as well. I have no experience playing X, but I remember being pretty irritated early on with how restrictive FFIX's world map could be in the earlier parts. At least Final Fantasy XIII has a story reason for its earlier parts to be so linear and at least it doesn't try to fool you by appearing more open than it is.

I just wish there was better pacing and less repetition. Still, I love the battle system and I love the kind of difficulty it presents the player with. It throws a lot of powerful enemies and bosses at you and yet it provides you with all the tactical tools you need to overcome them with the Paradigms. So far, I've fought a lot of memorable battles.

Top Bottom