• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Games That Other People Think Are Complete Garbage That You Happen to Enjoy

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Mine's not about what people dislike, but more about what people sort of shrugged off without giving it a real try. My pick is Mega Man X Command Mission. It's actually a really great JRPG with a good budget. Unfortunately a lot of MMX fans didn't really look at the spinoff title while a lot of JRPG fans looked elsewhere for games.

It's made by a good deal of Breath of Fire people and had a really fun battle system. It's pure turn based along with a FFX styled row that shows the order of which character or enemy gets to act next. It features some Mario RPG styled elements to power up your skills before you use them.

The game featured X, Zero, and Axl along with new characters for the game. The character design and art style's actually rather neat. You don't usually get a lot of JRPGs with robotic characters, so the designs come off rather creative instead of something too generic for me.

I'll probably get around to posting some of the music in the Light House Music Appreciation thread. Had some pretty good ones iirc.
Oh man, I got that for a birthday and loved it back in the day. I still feel like more games should take the FFX approach to just straight up showing which characters act when.

Sadly I don't remember anything aside from Axl's transformation gimmick (and I think X had a hold-the-button gimmick for one of his moves).

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Starfox Adventures
Although I wish it remained as Dinosaur Planet, I love this game dearly. It remains the only Starfox game I've played, though I'll probably get 64 3D one day. It's pretty much Rare's take on the Zelda genre. The music is great, the graphics are quite astounding, the gameplay was always fun and the different environments are really interesting. There are lots of puzzles similar to those found in the Zelda series, and instead of new weapons, you get upgrades to your Staff. My copy always seems to glitch up on the final "dungeon", shall we say, where you get the fourth spellstone. I would recommend it to anyone who likes Zelda, I think it's pretty cheap these days.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
For this one, I understand the hate. Banjo has been given ****ing cars to drive, and Kazooie has lost all of her special moves and given a ****ing wrench. What even is this game doing in the BK series?! I totally understand this view, but if you forget you're playing as horrible renditions of one of your favourite video game duo, it's actually pretty fun. The stages are interesting and provide for great vehicle experiences, the music is stunning and again the graphics are fantastic. I always play it once in a while just to play around with my vehicles, making just absolutely crazy fast boats blows my imaginative mind away.

Super Mario Sunshine
Not sure what the consensus is on this one, but I don't think it's loved like 64 and Galaxy. Super Mario Sunshine is super fun to play, the controls fit perfectly with the GameCube controller. FLUDD is a really interesting addition, providing for unique gameplay for the Super Mario series. The levels and missions are really fun, I especially loved the missions where FLUDD was removed from you, though I love FLUDD still. But, there are two things in this game that can **** off. The Sand Bird mission and the final boss. If you've played the game you'll understand why I hate the Sand Bird, and the final boss is super anti-climactic. Overall though, a decent addition to the Super Mario series, and I hope the FLUDD "mechanic" is revisited sometime in Mario's future outside of Smash.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Just off the top of my head, the Mega Man Battle Network games. Sure, it plays nothing like the other Mega Man games, the plot will hurt your brain for a variety of reasons, and the localization job was pretty bad, but the gameplay is really fun and it has amazing boss battles.

Also, if you collect all of the battle chips and powerups, you can fight some mega-OP superbosses. Don't feel bad about using a Gameshark or a guide to open the path, it's pretty much required to do so. Also, I hear that the Navi Cust in BN3 practically requires a guide to use properly, but I've only played 1, 2, 4, and 5.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just off the top of my head, the Mega Man Battle Network games. Sure, it plays nothing like the other Mega Man games, the plot will hurt your brain for a variety of reasons, and the localization job was pretty bad, but the gameplay is really fun and it has amazing boss battles.

Also, if you collect all of the battle chips and powerups, you can fight some mega-OP superbosses. Don't feel bad about using a Gameshark or a guide to open the path, it's pretty much required to do so. Also, I hear that the Navi Cust in BN3 practically requires a guide to use properly, but I've only played 1, 2, 4, and 5.
1-3's plot I enjoyed a lot. Then it took a dive, but at least the battle system started getting really good at 4.
First three games had a lot of feels.

The game wasn't that hard for me, but of course I knew how to break it with the folder making.
Beating EX boss versions or whatever their final versions were call was a cakewalk with the right folder.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1-3's plot I enjoyed a lot. Then it took a dive, but at least the battle system started getting really good at 4.
First three games had a lot of feels.

The game wasn't that hard for me, but of course I knew how to break it with the folder making.
Beating EX boss versions or whatever their final versions were call was a cakewalk with the right folder.
I actually did own Battle Network 3 and 4 on GBA back in the day, but never thought much of them, probably because they were drastically different from the side-scrolling action platformer Mega Man games I was familiar with and I wasn't really into RPG's at the time. My tastes in games have expanded since, and seeing the first few entries on the Wii U Virtual Console (and these posts) does make me consider giving the series another shot.

EDIT: As for games I like that everyone else hates, I was considering picking Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but at least that game was highly praised by the critics. Only longtime fans of the series bashed it for being a God of War clone.

On the other hand, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate didn't sit well with either crowd. It tried to mix the Metroid-inspired exploration of Symphony of the Night and the GBA/DS games with the combat of the first Lords of Shadow, but the finished product didn't turn out very successful. I thought it was decent for what it was, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I actually did own Battle Network 3 and 4 on GBA back in the day, but never thought much of them, probably because they were drastically different from the side-scrolling action platformer Mega Man games I was familiar with and I wasn't really into RPG's at the time. My tastes in games have expanded since, and seeing the first few entries on the Wii U Virtual Console (and these posts) does make me consider giving the series another shot.
I've heard 3 was very well-received, but I haven't played it yet so I can't recommend it. I'd start with BN2 if I were you. BN1 lacks polish and BN4 is just all-around bad, requiring 3 completions at the very least before you can fight the superbosses. If you missed a critical item, like a HP Memory or RegUP, you would have to complete the game twice more, in addition to your current run, to get back to it. That's far from BN4's only problem, but it's one of the worst (aside from general tedium).

BN5 is significantly better than 4 in almost every respect, but the one saving grace to the series (in my eyes, at least), the battles, have been watered down thanks to the "Liberation mission" gimmick. It's sort of a TBS type of deal, and it's not very well designed. Between BN5 and BN4, I just couldn't bring myself to bother with BN6, though I've since heard it's either the best or the second-best game in the series.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
@KingBro1 BN1 is very dated, but if you have the time, play it. Just use a guide to navigate the net and dungeons for the first BN game. In fact, you could probably do that for every BN game since the dungeons are weirdly designed mazes and that can get really annoying.

BN2 is definitely better than 1, but I do suggest playing the first game. 1st game has some fun world building and story that sets things up. Basically everything in the first two games actually sets up the conclusion of the story in 3, so I suggest playing it in order. The battle system is fun, but I wouldn't play the game just for the battle system if you're doing it for a single player experience.

If I did a quick run down on the series, it'd be

BN1: Everything begins here. Dated battle system, a really fun and contained story. I don't replay this game unless I want to revisit the story. Use a picture guide for the maps to save yourself trouble.

BN2: Outdoes the first in every way, but you appreciate it more after beating the first. Really fun story, my favorite scenario of the 6. Better battle system by giving Styles that depend on how you play. Adds a lot more diversity into the mix. The gameplay is still horribly broken and not balanced with its Program Advances.

BN3: Middle of the story isn't as fun as 2, but the ending ends off the arc in a bang. Battle system is a lot more polished, but still isn't as balanced. Navi Customizer is introduced which gives players so many options on their character.

BN4: Worst story, hands down. The 3rd game basically concluded the story, so the fourth game starts off with some weird new stuff and boring scenarios. The good though is that the battle system actually shines and gets competitive. Best battle system of the 6 games if you were playing competitively with people (imo).

BN5: Better story than 4, but still a pretty bad game. Adds some new features, but they end up just being a chore. I absolutely broke the game in this one in Team Colonel. With the right setup, I basically had an 70 percent chance to deal 2000 unavoidable damage in the first few seconds lol

BN6: Only played this in Japanese. I never played this multiplayer, but I enjoyed the story. Best story out of the last three games, and the ending was nice for me. Especially since I was Lan's age or so when BN1 came out, so it's nice to see how it progressed.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
all the Gameboy Hamtaro games
I used to have Ham Ham Heartbreak, but then a kid at my pool "borrowed" it and moved out of the state the next day. That's the reason I don't lend out games to people as often as I used to.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
The Simpsons Hit n' Run. I had so much fun with this game back in the day, in my PS2...Sometimes, I feel like I am the only person in the world that ever played this game.

Dr. Slam

Smash Cadet
Shadow the Hedgehog. Maybe it was because it was the only game I could play with guns in it until I was 16, but I found it really enjoyable! Always loved being able to choose which stage I would be going next.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I love every entry in the series, but Paper Mario: Sticker Star is my favorite PM game. It's not a RPG, I get it, and it's one of my favorite puzzle-adventure games ever. I really love the gameplay the most, plus it has the best music in the series, period. It also looks great in 3D. Then I never got the hate for the Street Fighter EX games, and I think DmC is a pretty great game on its own and would have not received so much hate if it had been a new IP.

Oh, also Spelunker HD with its terrible Metacritic score, is legit my favorite PS3 game. Get good, reviewers :p

EDIT2: Apparently a lot of people don't like Code Name STEAM. Welp, it's my GOTY so far and I like it more than both XCOM and Valkyria Chronicles.

Last edited:

Da_Shmo

Smash Rookie
I love random indie games that are fan service. Hyper Demention neptuna

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
It's been incredibily hard to get my friends to play Guild Wars 2. I guess they don't care for MMO's anymore, or WoW just ruined MMO's for them and they are so used to WoW that they can't adapt to any other MMO's that may be different. My time is limited too, but I love playing Guild Wars 2.

mistersl56

Smash Cadet

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Weren't those games made by SEGA? I wouldn't really call that indie.
Nope, Compile Heart made it. They're not the greatest developer and they're really bad programmers that their games don't even run all the well (thankfully they didn't handle the remakes). Neptunia 1 on PS3 ran at like 12 frames per second lol. They somehow gained traction in Japan. Part of that is probably because of the art and the whole console theme.

I do like the Neptunia series though. There's a lot of charm with the funny dialogue and weird references.

D

Deleted member

Super Mario 3D Land. I will never understand the ire that game gets.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Super Mario 3D Land. I will never understand the ire that game gets.
I've seen some understandable choices in this thread, but there's no way in hell that you're the only person that likes Mario 3D Land. For months the only Streetpasses I'd get they'd be playing SM3DL.

For me, it has to be the PC port of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. It has some pretty bad issues that people like to point out (glitched audio, odd controls, takes sacrificing your newborn to get controller support), but I beat the game just fine on that version.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Destiny... That game gets so much hate.
I remember a friend of mine's a fan of Halo, and was pretty hyped looking forward to it. Bought it on launch IIRC.

He ended up trading it back in. He said it was kind of boring? It looked pretty fun back at the first E3 it was at.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
I remember a friend of mine's a fan of Halo, and was pretty hyped looking forward to it. Bought it on launch IIRC.

He ended up trading it back in. He said it was kind of boring? It looked pretty fun back at the first E3 it was at.
It's just a lot of grinding, and can seem really unrewarding due to the RNG loot system. personally, I love it. It gets more fun if you play it with friends. It can be a bit boring alone.

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
Toukiden Kiwami. It's basically an hunting game like Monster Hunter. Hence why it's so hated. MH fans disregards Kiwami as garbage for copying MH's gameplay (although there's quite a lot of changes) and for being much easier. I might be odd but I couldn't like MH3U, unlike Toukiden. Maybe I'm just too bad for the challenge? Not the only reason for sure.

And I'll have to go with Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Sunshine like poeple already said. I'm still playing MKW to that day thanks to CTGPR when I dropped MK8. As for SMS it's just my favorite Mario game.

I'm not sure how much it's hated too but I'd say the Disgaea serie too. People drop it for being more grind based than strategy based but I personally find that fine. Although I like Fire Emblem much more. One thing that also happens to annoy people is the humor. Now I can imagine why someone not used to japanese humor (or just anime stuff) would dislike it, but still. I love that to be honest, and I already got some good laughs from it.

Last edited:

Stick Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sticker
3DS FC
1633-4504-2636
Does anyone else like the Pokemon Rumble series?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Star Ocean games, namely the two most "controversial" entries in the series which are Till the End of Time and The Last Hope. Some will say TTEoT was the worst; others will say TLH was. The only way imo to really judge is to play them for yourself. I liked both, personally (even though I haven't beat 4 due to the fact I only played a little bit when my former friend brought it over once). 1 and 2 are also cool.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Sonic 06. I consider it good, but the problem is physics, characters, and the story itself. It is a challenge, but I beat the game within 2 1/2 months

And my friends hate Animal Crossing because it is full of nature. I am fine with it and it's fun. I want new leaf, But I can't get it (no questions please)

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Star Fox Assault and Adventures. I never played Star Fox 64 until I was in high school, so my first exposure to the series was through those two games, first Adventures and later Assault. I'll admit that I can understand why people dislike them. Adventures isn't even a Star Fox game and Assault had some pretty questionable controls during the ground segments. Plus the story tossed aside Andross for a race of Borg clones, which upset some folks who were hoping for another showdown with the big ape. Oh yeah, and the divisive Crystal replaced fan favorite Peppy.

That being said, those two were my first exposure to the series. Not know what Star Fox was "supposed to be" really let me approach them with an open mind, and I really appreciate Assault in particular in the way it tried to move the series forward in both a game play and narrative sense. I just wish I still had my copy. I'm actually really hoping that Star Fox Wuu actually plays closer to an improved version of Assault. Although I'm not really banking on it.

Dan Rogers

Smash Rookie
Oh, this is kind of a hard one, cause I've found a lot of people who have enjoyed the games I like over the years... There are some that people don't talk about.

War of the Monsters is one of those games. It's for the PS2, and it's a giant monster fighting game. I believe it came out for the PS2 to compete with the fact that the Gamecube and Xbox had Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee. The monster designs are really cool. Togera was one of my favorites (think Godzilla with retractable Wolverine Claws). The only person who I'm friends with who knows about this game is my old friend Justin, who introduced me to it back in elementary school.

Another game is the original Smackdown Vs Raw game. I was never a huge wrestling fan, but my friends were and when I played this game over their house, I was amazed just by how much fun I was having with it. Honestly, I didn't like the other ones... the other ones just felt more stilted.

Raw 2 for the Original Xbox. Like, it's badly put together, it's hard to control, create a character is kinda hard to get a hang of, and graphically it looks kinda terrible... but for some reason I always come back to it. I guess I just like it for some reason.

Finally... I think Godzilla: Unleashed for the Wii. A lot of people complain about the motion controls and that the PS2 version, despite having less monsters, was a lot more fun. But I always found it to be a good time. Maybe because I always jump around when I'm playing it. There are a couple things I don't like (i found story mode being pretty lacking, especially since every level began with a motion comic cutscene), but all in all, I always have fun with it.

(Also the Godzilla the Series Gameboy Color games, but I find them very aggravating on occasion, so I'm unsure if I'd actually consider this a game I like.)

D

Deleted member

Since when did people not like Bioshock Infinite?
To my recollection, the critics praised it, but fans of Bioshock 1 generally either disliked it or didn't enjoy it as much as their favorite entry.

Last edited by a moderator:

finalark

SNORLAX
To my recollection, the critics praised it, but fans of Bioshock 1 generally either disliked it or didn't enjoy it as much as their favorite entry.
That's not all that surprising, given how much of a departure it was from Bioshock 1.

Although I'd hardly call it a game that's disliked. Most fans of Bioshock 1 I know really liked the game despite how different it was. From what I've experienced, it's probably a minority that disliked the game.

DrXenoPootis

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrXenoPootis
3DS FC
3969-6817-9705
None of my friends are actually quick thinkers when it comes to PC gaming and well, Crypt of the Necrodancer is the bane of their existence.

Yurika

Smash Rookie
Lollipop Chainsaw would be the biggest example. Also Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire

Last edited:
Top Bottom