• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Games that Deserve Remakes

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1423]Games that Deserve Remakes[/drupal]

I was thinking about remakes today, and so then I started to think about how cool remakes of some games would be. And because I though of it, I instantly had to turn it into a blog post.

Battletoads:

If you can think all the way back to 1991, then you might just remember Battletoads, and epic beat 'em up for the NES. Because Battletoads was a NES game, that means that it obviously had eye gougingly hard difficulty (but it might be me, I was never good at beat 'em ups). Reguadless, the game was a load of fun (especially when played with a friend) and I wouldn't mind seeing a remake come out on the PSN Shop or Xbox Live Arcade.

Final Fantasy VII:

If I was a teacher at a school for video game designers, and Square turned in Final Fantasy VII, I would have given it a C-. There were a ton of things that could have used some improvement, but I'll talk about that at some future point in time. Now, if they were to re-release it on the PS3, correcting the mistakes they made and completely upgrading it to modern standards, I'd be all over it the same way Captain Kirk is all over alien females. As we've seen with Advent Children, Square is capable of some epic CGI, and while I'll admit that I'm starting to loose hope in Square of late, I think if they really wanted to they could make a good remake of FFVII.

The Spyro and Crash Trilogies:

Back at the start of the first 3D gen, two friends named Spyro and Crash decided to go into gaming. They both had a few excellent adventures (cookie for the reference) on their own, and then at the end of that gen they choose to go into retirement. But unknown to them, their evil twins, Spiro and Crunch, stepped in and took their good names! Now we have mediocre Spiro and Crunch titles left and right, made by people who can't comprehend the words "good game." It would be a miracle if Naughty Dog and Insomniac somehow got the rights back, remaking Spyro and Crash's original adventures with updated PS3 graphics and some new features. Too bad such things only happen in dreams, eh?

EDIT: OMGZ I thought of another one!

Half-Life:

Valve's game of awesomeness for the PC (later released for the PS2) goes on my lists as one of the best shooters I've ever played. And who wouldn't want to see the original tale of Dr. Freeman in fully updated Half-Life 2 graphics, eh? Honestly, seeing Half-Life updated with shiny new current-gen graphics would be awesome and would give me a graphical stiffie. And seeing the original Freeman all updated would be awesome too. But he wouldn't give me a stiffie, that would be gay.

Well, that's all I can think of, due to the fact that many games that I though needed remakes either got on, are getting one, or are getting a sequel. Oh well, I still enjoyed writing this. Any others that anyone can think of?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Majora's Mask
Donkey Kong 64

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
XD- Crash was the first thing that came into mind as soon as I read the thread title. As cool as that'd be, I prefer Crash's original blocky design over any of his PS2 era designs, and knowing people nowadays, they'd probably screw the remakes up.

Battletoads was the game I got with my Mega Drive lol, so a remake would be cool. As long as it featured an easy mode, or let you skip that ridiculous hoverboard section on the second level (after falling down that tunnel). However, I still hold a place in my heart for Battletoads.

Final Fantasy VII is a game I can see getting a remake, but that still won't make me a fan unless of course they fix all the problems the original had. All Square-Enix would do is improve graphics, voice acting, and maybe a few more sidequests and an optional boss or two.

Two games I believe deserve remakes are Zool 2 and Superfrog. These were classic platformers, and they would work fantastic on handheld systems like the DS. I'd be more than happy for 2D graphics, as long as they make them a little more neater, and slick. I spent my childhood playing those games on the Amiga 600 (which was far superior than the Amiga 1200), and to have the chance to play them again would be fantastic, for both old fans, and the newer generation.

Oracle

Smash Master
Any of the old donkey kong games need remakes. They are some of the best nintendo RPG's around

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I lol'd at the Half Life update.

Then I remember I hated that **** game. Once I managed to get somewhere on it the save files deletes itself, and tells me I have no room on my memory card to save. Then I start a new game, press save and it saves fine. :mad:.

However, from what I played of it a remake could be good, although I did think the PS2 version was fairly pretty. However, a remake must have Decay, I enjoyed that far more than the actual game. Decay online would be epic.

finalark

SNORLAX
I lol'd at the Half Life update.

Then I remember I hated that **** game. Once I managed to get somewhere on it the save files deletes itself, and tells me I have no room on my memory card to save. Then I start a new game, press save and it saves fine. :mad:.

However, from what I played of it a remake could be good, although I did think the PS2 version was fairly pretty. However, a remake must have Decay, I enjoyed that far more than the actual game. Decay online would be epic.
I have the original PC version, and I have to say. PC version >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS2 version. But all console FPS' will be slightly crippled due to lack of mouse control.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Yoshi's Island deserves an HD remake. That game was beautiful as it was, but seeing Yoshi flying around in HD... *cries at thought*
Oh yes, Yoshi's Island with HD graphics and new levels would be awesome. Maybe even a level editor...*drools*

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Pokemon G/S/C.

/thread
Oh yeahz, u just won teh thread!

Well done, once someone says FFVI Jam can lock this :laugh:.

I have the original PC version, and I have to say. PC version >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS2 version. But all console FPS' will be slightly crippled due to lack of mouse control.
I'm probably the only person who hates mouse controlled FPS games, but that's because I'm pro at Timesplitters on the PS2 XD.

A mouse should be used for point and click adventure games such as Monkey Island 2.

Talking about Monkey Island 2
C WUT I DID THAR?
a remake of that would be fantastic. Not 3D, not the style of Curse of Monkey Island, just prettier sprites, and maybe a better ending.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I'd like Ocarina of Time, but really just a port to the DS. Nothing else.

Also, Pokemon GSC and RSE (okay, more on GSC but I'd like RSE remake after the 5th generation being that's my second favorite generation)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This thread needs MUCH moar Super Metroid.

If they could do a 2.5D remake of Super Metroid on Wii I would be the happiest person in the world. A DS remake would also be awesome. Either way, really. Just give me a Super Metroid remake. :mad:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
This thread needz moar Super Mario RPG remakes.

That game was so freaking awesome.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Wait, what? FFVII? And NOT FFVI? I would love to see a remake of VI in the graphics of like FFXII or something... that would be darn epic.

What really needs a good remake is probably Castlevania 3. I would also love to see the first 4 Sonic games remade for the DS or something. Then of course Klonoa (which it will get anyway) and Klonoa 2. Super Metroid would be epic, too.
And of course a few forgotten classics: Terranigma, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana...

No. It wasn't. I found it utterly boring. I played it when people kept on talking what a gift of God that game was, and honestly: I was extremely disappointed. I expected a good game, but what I got was a mediocre one. =(

finalark

SNORLAX
I hope they make a Final Fantasy 5 on D.S., I`ve
never played FF5.
It's fun, but it's far from the best. I'd label it "run of the mill." Plus it's the third in the trilogy of Final Fantasy games with the same exact core story and class system. So I guess I kind of dislike it for that.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Spadefox, trolling mah posts!? :O :mad:
:falcon: YESZ!

But seriously, SMRPG is not as good as everyone says. It's okay, but it's not the craft of God himself.

I want a 3D Link's Awakening. It's not a crime to dream, is it?
Oh darn YEA... Link's Awakening, how could I forget the best Zelda game? I feel dirty for not remembering to put it in my list ;_;

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Skies of Arcadia remake! I don't care that Ive played the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions multiple times....a ps3 remake with improved graphics and voice acting. I could just die.
Or Jet set radio..or The hard as Gradius Shin Megami Tensei snes game.
There are just too many games to list!

D

Deleted member

How bout the NES little known classic, Ducktales? I wish someone would remake Super Castlevania IV and Super Metroid.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
How bout the NES little known classic, Ducktales? I wish someone would remake Super Castlevania IV and Super Metroid.
Wasn't Super Castlevania IV already a remake of the original Castlevania? XD
And it has been remade, afaik, as Castlevania Chronicles.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A modernized version of OoT would be nice.

A special little bonus would be a way to unlock it so that the masks world like in Majora's Mask...and with the addition of a couple other masks.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol @ Spiro and Crunch

Edit: Sonic 2 HD is coming soon. youtube it. I dare you.

Oddball464

Smash Rookie

Amen to that, I love that game. I'd also really like to see a remake of a little known game on the TurboGrafix called Bonk's Adventure.
A modernized OoT wouldn't be bad either.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Bonks Adventure, or B.C. Kid on the Amiga was amazing.
A remake would be brilliant.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
This thread needs MUCH moar Super Metroid.

If they could do a 2.5D remake of Super Metroid on Wii I would be the happiest person in the world. A DS remake would also be awesome. Either way, really. Just give me a Super Metroid remake. :mad:
Firus, you officially won this thread for me. I know a couple of other people mentioned it, but you devoted a complete post to it. That in itself makes you better than them. :)

I seriously second this. Super Metroid is my favorite of all Metroid games, and is basically just straight up amazing. Actually...did anyone notice how Nintendo has only really redone a few of their true gems from the SNES? Just LoZ: aLttP, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island if I can remember right. Someone correct me if they can think of more, however. Those just happen to be the only ones I can think of off the top of my head right now. :\

I also agree with all those who said GSC, but I'm already expecting that one some time in the near future (just a feeling I've got of them actually remaking it), so I'm putting that as more of an afterthought. <.<

Top Bottom