• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Gameplay Q&A and General Discussion Thread

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Looking at the move's data, the way it's coded should mean that it just jumps immediately to 20% when it would be at 18%

In an actual match/with decimal damage already in place it could roll 18%, but in training it should never do more than 17.x%

also iirc the 16% bite does more KB than the 20% at low-mid%s too. I've mentioned it before but the 20% does eventually do more knockback...just not until like 130% where they'd be dying regardless anyway.
Huh, I guess that explains it then. I always the thought the 3DS version had some weird hiccups and oddities here and there.

But yeah, the 16% bite still kills earlier than the 20%.

Also interesting. I suppose go for full charge when they are over 130% to kill them across the stage?

Specifically for heavier characters to ensure they die.

Last edited:

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys been in the lab today trying to lab out footstool combo off of d-air. And I think I may have the exact steps required to execute it. Now first thing if you miss and you don't do the full hope recoverable d-air to up-b your going to die. So here are the steps:

1. the d-air must hit on the lower part of its hit box, either side of the lower tip is ok, yet it cannot hit on the sides of corrin and they must be brought down around corrin's feet.

2. Then as your falling with them and before they pop out DI horizontally towards the direction they will pop out from d-air.

3. Buffer or spam jump for when they pop out of d-air. while holding the aforementioned DI.

4. And I believe if you did these steps correctly you shall laugh as they are footstooled to their doom.

Now please by all means help lab this further, and confirm my findings . This was a very base, and rough labing of the tech. I Labbed this with ganon, mario, and dr. mario. I chose ganon initially because he is large and the AI recovers low, and then tried mario for a more rounded character size, but found it annoying to get the lower hit as his AI recovers high most the time, then switch to Dr. mario hope with his poor recovery it would be easier to force him to go low. The biggest problem I've face in addition to the AI always recovering high (really annoying to get above and get a low hit for testing when they do this), is trying to read the side they will pop out from as you fall with them with d-air. Maybe its easy and i'm missing something. Really I'm putting this out so we can have this labbed as a community, and pool our knowledge together. Hell maybe if we all get this labbed we can do some d-air corrin ken combos off this (any good way to combo into d-air?)

Edit** Added notes: after further labbing this works, but with a little more twist besides the earlier mentions. One it seems you can't hit all the hits and get the footstool, as d-air carries them further up corrin for more hits. In fact 2 hit of d-air seems to be the most optimal, but ive gotten it on 2-5 hits d-airs. Also the percentage and or floaty-ness of the character may influence how far up corrin they go per hit. All in all this is making it look less useful than FH d-air recovery gimp. It seems almost impossible to combo into a footstool able d-air as you can't hit all the hits of d-air . Really what I can maybe see it used for is if you hit a low target off of the FH d-air gimp, and then footstool them to gimp even the best of recoveries (i was gonna say to gimp someone like villager, but from testing villager kind messes up our d-air with balloons..... we hit one and fall past). In TL;DR: in full theory they need to be at corrin's feat when they pop out, and not at their chest were they end up after multiple hits, then with the di to the correct pop out, this works as a guaranteed footstool.

Last edited:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I wonder, does Corrin has a a move that can make opponents fall off the edges of platforms so they hit the ground in the state they can't tech?

Would be nice that after that to get the Neutral B for the damage.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Personally I feel that one of Corrin's worst matchups is King Dedede.He outranges everything except Fsmash and DL.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Personally I feel that one of Corrin's worst matchups is King Dedede.He outranges everything except Fsmash and DL.
I've had some problems with it, but its more unorthodox than anything. The thing is is that match up requires you to get in on dedede and stick to him and out frame data him. Which is contrary to our general corrin game plan of out ranging, and safely poking to open our opponent up to combos. Though you need to be careful cus dedede blows up mistakes with stupid dmg. Also back air is nice for out ranging DEDEDE in the air if you need to do some poking and can't get in safely. Really the hardest part of this Mu is killing dedede. Its very hard to kill him without a read with a high KGB move. And due to his heavy/fast fall nature our safe kill options like kill throws, and u-air don't kill til very high percents (150 u-air, 180 u throw). On the other hand we can combo him for days.

Side note no one gonna comment on my labbing of gaurenteed d-air to footstool? T_T

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I've had some problems with it, but its more unorthodox than anything. The thing is is that match up requires you to get in on dede and stick to him and out frame data him. Which is contrary to our general corrin game plan of out ranging, and safely poking to open our opponent up to combos. Though you need to be careful cus dedede blows up mistakes with stupid dmg. Also back air is nice for out ranging DEDEDE in the air if you need to do some poking and can't get in safely. Really the hardest part of this Mu is killing dedede. Its very hard to kill him without a read with a high KGB move. And due to his heavy/fast fall nature our same kill options like kill throws, and u-air don't kill til very high percents (150 u-air, 180 u throw). On the other hand we can combo him for days.

Side note no one gonna comment on my labbing of gaurenteed d-air to footstool? T_T
Yeah, you're right, it's just that his weight plus his recovery makes him really hard to kill...
Also I'm not sure whether it was you or someone else but one of you suggested hopping while charging full DFS off stage,I've been trying it out and I have to say,it's really good as a mixup/killer.
Now if only her recovery went just a bit higher...

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Also anyone wanna rate these clips? If I ever want to make a montage I was wondering if any of these are worthy:

Good edge-guard one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgJkxZ8B5QY

A small string ended with an aerial DFS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fae5TX_lMnk

Another small string ended by and U-b: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBKO_hL8oYM

Yeah, you're right, it's just that his weight plus his recovery makes him really hard to kill...
Also I'm not sure whether it was you or someone else but one of you suggested hopping while charging full DFS off stage,I've been trying it out and I have to say,it's really good as a mixup/killer.
Now if only her recovery went just a bit higher...
well you can recover low for the most part. She has good enough vertical to recover from really low if you have double jump and up-b. Its same as for recovery from full hop d-air off stage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
He has basically no answer to Bair and IP. Just abuse those 2 moves then capitalize off of positional advantage because Dedede is fat.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I wonder, does Corrin has a a move that can make opponents fall off the edges of platforms so they hit the ground in the state they can't tech?

Anything that makes them slide off without going airborne (their feet stay on ground) works.

I'd imagine F-Tilt would be the main one to use though I doubt it would work from a nB due to nB stunning them into the air.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Also remember that he is susceptible to combos.

Other points of note are that his Ftilt has a lot of endlag, so you can probably land a Fair if it misses.

Learning to deal with the gordos is also an important thing, as that thing gave me the most trouble.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

...fully stale sour bair against a 0% Bowser.

Other than that, no.

Edit: Actually, not even that. Bair has too much base knockback. None of Corrin's other moves have a relevant angle either.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
So I was playing against a Corrin on FG and I was charging up an fsmash for the kill. It was a tipper fsmash so I wasn't worried about the counter.He/She countered it,but the Dragon animation stomp thingamajig was so long I could punish with a tipper uncharged fsmash.
So any thoughts? I employ this strategy in so many dittos, and it works so well...

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
He outranges us on a few moves, but Corrin's moves come out basically twice the speed of his, so it shouldn't be too difficult to beat him in clashes.

Not a slam dunk for Corrin, but also not one she loses in imo.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Also this may be nothing, but I play Sm4sh on the 3DS, since I can't get a Wii U.Corrin's Bair on the 3DS differs aesthetically i.e in the Wii U version the folds of the wings curve outwardly between the "fingers" whereas on the 3DS they are more traditional in appearance.Somehow, I feel it also lacks in range when compared to the Wii U version.I can't confirm my suspicions, but this bugs me.

See what I mean?

The hitboxes for both versions are exactly the same and they also have the same animation/looks for both versions

its the same wtf.png

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
The hitboxes for both versions are exactly the same and they also have the same animation/looks for both versions

View attachment 106063
The animation is very slightly different. Look at the bottom of the wings. On 3DS there are little inwards curves, but on the Wii U version the wings are smoother. Also the "fingers" on Wii U version go out at different angles compared to the 3DS version. On Wii U, the lowest point of the wings goes past the butt, but on 3DS it stops at the hips. That part that curves upwards near her head curves upwards earlier on 3DS than on Wii U. Also the Wii U's wings appear slightly longer (relatively speaking) but I'm probably wrong about that. Regardless, I doubt any of this affects the hitboxes.

Now to actually discuss the hitboxes, that image for Bair looks off. I was testing Bair on Bowser and I found that if I spaced it perfectly or if I was in his face when I Baired, he would never get hit by a rising Bair, only a falling one. However, he WOULD get hit by a rising Bair if I tried to use the middle of the wings. This led me to believe that Bair hits lower around the middle of the wings. If that's the case, that image showing the hitboxes is false. Tagging Lavani Lavani for this.

Also does anyone know on which frames Bair pushes you forward?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
(any good way to combo into d-air?)
The only reliable way we can combo into dair is via footstool (low percent landing fair is an easy way to get this). I did some testing a while back to see if full charge DFS could be comboed into a dair near the ledge (for a potentially optimal shield break punish at mid percents) and i couldn't get it to work. Dair stopping all horizontal momentum works against us here. There might be some obscure percent ranges/terrible DI scenarios where something like landing nair/rising fair could be comboed into dair but there are usually better followups.

Oh, and offstage dair to dair shows up as a [suicidal] true combo, so yeah.
...fully stale sour bair against a 0% Bowser.

Other than that, no.

Edit: Actually, not even that. Bair has too much base knockback. None of Corrin's other moves have a relevant angle either.
Curious, does that mean that fully stale sour bair won't even jab lock at 0%? I figured it might be the only thing in our moveset that might do it, along with stale dair landing hitbox, although neither is ever gonna happen in a real match.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Bair's hitboxes aren't tied to bones, so that image is definitely accurate. That's just the early hit though, the late hit's longer and thinner. Going by Berserker's images, the wings look like they stretch a lot more on Wii U though, which wouldn't change the hitbox but would alter the visuals for lining it up.

Bair pushes you forward on the same frame it's first active (13f)

edit: spaced bair whiffs over his head, reaches too high
I'm unable to replicate close bair whiffing but it looks like an idle animation where he leans forward might be able to cause it, rising sh bair barely clips his upper back

Curious, does that mean that fully stale sour bair won't even jab lock at 0%? I figured it might be the only thing in our moveset that might do it, along with stale dair landing hitbox, although neither is ever gonna happen in a real match.
Right.

I forgot about dair landing, but it has even higher base knockback so...

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Speaking of dair it seems to have lesser landing lag than Toon Link's or Greninja's,since you can jab pretty fast out of it.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Speaking of dair it seems to have lesser landing lag than Toon Link's or Greninja's,since you can jab pretty fast out of it.
That's because it has 26 frames of landing lag compared to TL's 40 and Greninja's 32. Corrin's dair is the least laggy divekick in the game, followed by G&W/Bayo at 28 frames.

Nah

Smash Champion
So something I was wondering, what do you do against opponents who don't want to approach (either because that's how their character works and/or how they play)? Corrin afaik can't force an approach and I feel like I generally do worse when I have to approach.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
So something I was wondering, what do you do against opponents who don't want to approach (either because that's how their character works and/or how they play)? Corrin afaik can't force an approach and I feel like I generally do worse when I have to approach.
Normally I just IP at the center of the stage and await opponent's movement to decide my course of action.Not really an approach per se, but just my style.
Of course if they start out guns blazing full on, I just look for an opening to Fair strings.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Try getting to midrange and sitting around there. Most characters won't be able to hit you from there (unless they're Ike/Cloud/Villager/Shulk, and there're ways around them), and as soon as they overcommit you can hit them with a spaced falling aerial or instant pin.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
How do you normally end a stock? I find that most of my matches end with a Uair from a baited airdodge, so I'd like to hear how other people play him/her.

Nah

Smash Champion
How do you normally end a stock? I find that most of my matches end with a Uair from a baited airdodge, so I'd like to hear how other people play him/her.
Besides the airdodge baiting thing I tend to do it with bite reads, pin kicks, and Uthrow. Occasionally can catch someone's landing with Fsmash tipper.

I don't do it much myself since I'm like....not comfortable going offstage a lot with Corrin yet, but offstage Dragon Lunges and Bairs and stuff can work too iirc. There's probably a few more things than that that I don't remember/aren't aware of.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
My most common kill methods are Tipper Lunge and Fsmash, Lunge Kick, U/Dthrow (mostly Uthrow), U-air, and trump to Bair. I tend to use DFS to set up for Pins, Tippers, and RAR Bairs, so I don't get many bite kills outside of the rare Fair -> DFS. If I'm feeling cocky I'll go for the FH Dair edgeguard, but it's a little risky for my tastes. Also, lately I've been trying to implement the stage pin into kick stall to catch ledge snaps, but I still don't use it too often. If I had to pick one... I'd say Tipper Lunge. I use it at the ledge, off of DFS, offsage, reversed to catch rolls, etc. Its versatile and strong. Just my style.

N 2the ayr

Smash Rookie
Corrin main from MA checking in. I love playing her because she's so fun and has a ton of options. Admittedly I didn't like Smash 4 until Cloud was released (played him for like a month) but when Corrin was revealed I was determined to pick her up.

I've watched more guides/gameplays/etc than I can count and I've always been puzzled why people don't try to bait her counter more? Specifically competitively. CS is a great punish and can take stocks pretty early even after the nerf. Of course you can't rely on that to win but it's part of how I play her and it makes people respect her counter at all times because if you overextend or throw out a stupid attack then you're going to pay. Like for example the other night I killed my buddy's Zelda at 80% and 72% on consecutive stocks with CS and with the latter his aerial was a sour spot. Just curious on what people's insights are with this.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Corrin main from MA checking in. I love playing her because she's so fun and has a ton of options. Admittedly I didn't like Smash 4 until Cloud was released (played him for like a month) but when Corrin was revealed I was determined to pick her up.

I've watched more guides/gameplays/etc than I can count and I've always been puzzled why people don't try to bait her counter more? Specifically competitively. CS is a great punish and can take stocks pretty early even after the nerf. Of course you can't rely on that to win but it's part of how I play her and it makes people respect her counter at all times because if you overextend or throw out a stupid attack then you're going to pay. Like for example the other night I killed my buddy's Zelda at 80% and 72% on consecutive stocks with CS and with the latter his aerial was a sour spot. Just curious on what people's insights are with this.
That's simple, it's not used much because it's easy to bait out, its much to slow to be helpful in disadvantage state (frame 7), and it requires a hard read to land. It has good reward, but is unlikely to land vs good opponents. This is why you almost never see it used in high lvl play. It's ok to trying going for counter maybe once a set, but beyond that and edge guarding certain characters you probably should not be using it.

atreyujames

NNID
Atreyujames

As it was said above, the move is about as good as any other counter (WT withstanding) in that it's a pretty bad option since it's so easy to see coming. I'll skip mentioning hard reads and offstage edgeguarding because that's obvious, and instead mention 2 things that are unique to this counter and rather relevant if you want to make the most of it. First off, it hits below the stage slightly. This is important because it lets you punish some characters UpB's like Cloud, Link, Ike, Kirby, Peach, ZZS, etc. that have trouble snapping to the ledge right away. Secondly, if the counter actually activates and DOESN'T hit your opponent (projectiles and large disjoints can cause this) than it's worth knowing that the intangibility lasts right up to the FAF, meaning if you buffer and choose the right options, the attack itself is virtually un-punishable.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577

Counter Surge should be treated like a hidden weapon, in which you must limit its use to around once per set.Once the opponent remembers you have it, they are much less likely to fall for it.
To give you an example, in Corrin dittos I sometimes end my strings with a fully charged tipped fsmash, because the opponent would be hammering Counter to escape the strings, so I bait it out.
On an unrelated topic I prefer the FemCorrin's taunt quotes to the MCorrin's.

Arrei

Smash Lord
First off, it hits below the stage slightly. This is important because it lets you punish some characters UpB's like Cloud, Link, Ike, Kirby, Peach, ZZS, etc. that have trouble snapping to the ledge right away.
Actually, on that note - can anyone confirm whether or not CS will apply the slowdown effect to Ike after catching his Aether's sword toss? Witch Time does. If CS does, it might actually be the only counter that can't stop Aether, as Ike wouldn't reach the ledge before the counterattack comes out.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
So I was playing doubles and confirmed that Fthrow and Bthrow have a tipper hitbox.

It seems decent, as it killed Mario at 110 from a quarter of the stage.
Seems a bit wonky to use it as a strategy in doubles though.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Actually, on that note - can anyone confirm whether or not CS will apply the slowdown effect to Ike after catching his Aether's sword toss? Witch Time does. If CS does, it might actually be the only counter that can't stop Aether, as Ike wouldn't reach the ledge before the counterattack comes out.
Yes, CS does apply slowdown to Aether.I discovered it in FG today.
A question,how would you recommend I deal with shielding opponents? Other than grabs...

atreyujames

NNID
Atreyujames
A question,how would you recommend I deal with shielding opponents? Other than grabs...
One thing I like to go for against sheilds (besides grabs) are a B-reversed fully charged DFS as well as the full Bite. If you do it behind them, and the opponent has low enough traction, it deals massive sheild damage + pushes them too far away to get a good punish. It can even break sheilds if they aren't full enough

As well, a perfectly spaced Lunge on shield can be a good mindgame. While you sit there pinned to the ground with them in shield, you can just wait for them to do something and punish with forward kick, or back kick on their shield and run away which is very hard to punish for most character. With this option you only have to be aware that some OOS Nairs and Usmashes can catch you, in which case you want to back kick as soon as possible since the forward hit of back kick comes out on frame 6, 4 frames earlier than front kick

EDIT: Also, our run up to shield is very good (one of the best in the game) which combined with Nairs range and hitbox means you can probably run up shield + OOS retreating Nair. Would apply some shield pressure as well as being pretty safe. Can sometimes bait out their OOS which can then be reacted to

Last edited:

N 2the ayr

Smash Rookie
So I was playing doubles and confirmed that Fthrow and Bthrow have a tipper hitbox.

It seems decent, as it killed Mario at 110 from a quarter of the stage.
Seems a bit wonky to use it as a strategy in doubles though.
Seriously? How did you get it to work? I would love to be able to pull this off. Could end some stocks pretty easily in dubs.

Also thanks for all the replies about CS. Great info and I definitely get where you guys are coming from and playing earlier I noticed myself throwing it out waaaay too much (just an all around awful day of playing for me lol these days blow).

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Seriously? How did you get it to work? I would love to be able to pull this off. Could end some stocks pretty easily in dubs.
Still needs testing to see what the actual kill power is. I had rage when I noted the opponent Mario got killed around that percent.

I didn't set up for this but I noted those tippers where the opponent was jumping in trying to approach me while I had his partner grabbed, and he unintentionally ended in the sweetspot of the tipper of the throws.

I got my kills like this randomly, as I noted that the opponent I had thrown just ended in the normal throw position, while the other user approaching by the air got hit by something when I threw my grabbed opponent.

It couldn't have been my partner as he was on the other side coming back from recovering and he was KO'd on the second occasion I noted this.

EDIT: for my testing on the 3ds version of the game, and in battlefield, the CPU Mario gets KO'd from the tippered Fthrow at around 117% from the position the 2nd CPU enters when you add more CPU.

The tip does 10% too.
As for Bthrow, I was testing on Yoshi island (3DS) and from the left edge of the central platform, Bthrow can hit its tipper when the platform is tilted the slowest to the left. Seems to deal 8% and for some reason it seems to be stronger than Fthrow. Still needs more testing though. Might be easy to get comparisons on a custom Wii U stage.

It seems the sweetpot is really weird. It like exactly needs to be a bit before the tip of the lance model, as it whiffs right in front of an opponent (the tip of the lance model doesn't seem to be the center of the sweetspot)

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
The best option against shields is patience. Position yourself at a comfortable position and punish them after they drop shield. The position is match up dependant but shouldn't change much.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Can confirm fthrow and bthrow has a pretty strong tipper hitbox. Also yesturday I mmed FOWs Ness and took a game with run up counter as he naired me on reaction lol

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
How do you find the Marth MU? I have to struggle a bit due to being outranged in Fairs.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
On a recent retrospecitvie, I find it a bit difficult if you try to stay in midrange.

I got rekt by a Marth because I keep my midrange distance, so I got hit by a lot of tippers.

Other than that, I believe we should actually close in so we can avoid tippers, also marth cant easily get out of our strings, and remember Marth Fair has a somewhat considerable endlag, so you can hit after he misses it or shield it.

Top Bottom