• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U gameplay impossible without gamecube controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
ive been playing on the 3DS and with classic remote, wii u gamepad
if youre not using a gamecube control you are losing about 40% control over your character
the other controls are just not responsive about half the time
which is really just turning this series into a huge waste of time and money for me

Kyuuki

Smash Rookie
Your extreme exaggerations and unwillingness to spend $20 on a Gamecube controller adapter a compelling argument does not make.

the8thark

Smash Lord
ive been playing on the 3DS and with classic remote, wii u gamepad
if youre not using a gamecube control you are losing about 40% control over your character
the other controls are just not responsive about half the time
which is really just turning this series into a huge waste of time and money for me
You have not played with a classic controller, Wii Pro controller or the WiiU pro controller. Those are very viable control methods so I have heard. I use the WiiU Pro controller for other WiiU games and it works like a charm.

Also this is just opinion. Everyone has their own favourite control scheme.
Your extreme exaggerations and unwillingness to spend $20 on a Gamecube controller adapter a compelling argument does not make.
Good luck finding one in NA.

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I like the random 40% loss rate fact. Sounds very scientific.

Really, I don't think it is a huge surprise though that a real NGC controller should be a more precise and therefore better input device than the 3DS, as we all knew how Smash43DS played itself.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I'd say weird, but it's not weird, but I think the Gamepad is the most comfortable. It's only missing the octagon joystick shell.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Pro Controller or Hori Pad for now.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Oh my god, the can't-move-on is so ridiculously strong on this one, Gamepad user for life, go wiggle little yellow sticks.
Seriously, you're making a thread to basically tell everyone that likes other, better controller options that they suck? Get real.

I definitely noticed a few unresponsive moments on my Pro Controller before my GCN adapter came, but I attested that to something I did rather than blame an otherwise entirely functional and great peripheral.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Sounds like you have trouble adapting to modern stuff, OP. That is too bad. For you.

Twigler

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twigler
I wish they made an adapter for the Wii Remote to accept the GCN controller input and use wireless to send the connection to the Wii U. My couch is too far from my Wii U, so I don't think a GCN controller will reach all the way to my couch. Anyone know how long the Smash GCN controller cord is? If it doesn't reach, I'll just use my old school Wavebird wireless controller, but I don't want to use batteries. T_T

Khao

Smash Lord
I wish they made an adapter for the Wii Remote to accept the GCN controller input and use wireless to send the connection to the Wii U. My couch is too far from my Wii U, so I don't think a GCN controller will reach all the way to my couch. Anyone know how long the Smash GCN controller cord is? If it doesn't reach, I'll just use my old school Wavebird wireless controller, but I don't want to use batteries. T_T
Not only the controller's cord is quite long, but remember that the adapter has a cord too, so the controller reaches pretty darn far.

otter

Smash Ace
Bruh

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
The only thing I don't like about the other control schemes are the fact that the right sticks are placed above the buttons, that doesn't work for smash so using the c stick is pointless. Can't wait for more adapters to be made

Luigi player

Smash Master
Why is it a waste of time? I can understand that it can seem like that if you don't use a GCC... but just use one then. I don't really see the problem here.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I played with the Gamepad for a couple days, and aside from the horrible default control scheme, it feels almost as good as a GC controller. That is, unless you try to hit L+R+A+start to end a match. That's dang well near impossible to do from a standard grip position.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
OP is on drugs. Wii U Pro Controller works smoother than a baby's bottom.

Stop being an elitist.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I played with the Gamepad for a couple days, and aside from the horrible default control scheme, it feels almost as good as a GC controller. That is, unless you try to hit L+R+A+start to end a match. That's dang well near impossible to do from a standard grip position.
I still think it's bad even if you adjust the buttons, at least for my huge, cramped hands. Grab and Shield are swapped (even from the 3DS control scheme) and the C-Stick being above the buttons sucks even if you aren't intending on using it. I've been playing nonstop for almost two days and I still just can't get used to it. I don't have a pro controller but I imagine since the same issue is intact I won't like it.

The 3DS works alright but you can't use it on every mode and I don't like changing my control scheme so I don't bother. There's almost no delay in it though so it works pretty great.

I can't really get my hands on a GC controller adapter but once I do I'll be very grateful.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Too bad they are sold out everywhere
I really don't recommend it. Maybe my copy is defected but every time I plug in the GC controller, the controls goes haywire constantly opening the Home menu or pressing random buttons. I have to press the "Turbo" button many times in order for it to get fixed temporary. Worst part is that whenever you leave it idle, the Wiimote will naturally turn off, so once you turn it back on, the adapter acts all crazy again. It's so tedious.

And it does not seem to want to work with the Wavebird either.

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It works just fine.
Um maybe you missed the part where I said the only think "I" don't like about it. I don't really care if you think it works fine because it doesn't solve my problems with it

Last edited:

Twigler

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twigler
I really don't recommend it. Maybe my copy is defected but every time I plug in the GC controller, the controls goes haywire constantly opening the Home menu or pressing random buttons. I have to press the "Turbo" button many times in order for it to get fixed temporary. Worst part is that whenever you leave it idle, the Wiimote will naturally turn off, so once you turn it back on, the adapter acts all crazy again. It's so tedious.

And it does not seem to want to work with the Wavebird either.
I'm getting the Smash Bros controller bundle with the adapter I know better than to buy Mayflash's junk products lol

Um maybe you missed the part where I said the only problem "I" don't like about it. I don't really care if you think it works fine because it doesn't solve my problems with it
What's your problem with the C stick?

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I'm getting the Smash Bros controller bundle with the adapter I know better than to buy Mayflash's junk products lol

What's your problem with the C stick?
With the game pad and wii pro controller I don't like the fact that the c stick or right stick is above the buttons rather than being below for me it's really awkward to use

Twigler

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twigler
With the game pad and wii pro controller I don't like the fact that the c stick or right stick is above the buttons rather than being below for me it's really awkward to use
Well that's why they made the GCN controller adapter! They need to milk money while allowing us to use our GCN controllers!

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Well that's why they made the GCN controller adapter! They need to milk money while allowing us to use our GCN controllers!
I know, the only problem is I couldn't find any when I bought smash 4. I wish you could use the 3ds controls with every game mode, I've been playing on it for about a month now another couple of days wouldn't kill me

Twigler

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twigler
I know, the only problem is I couldn't find any when I bought smash 4. I wish you could use the 3ds controls with every game mode, I've been playing on it for about a month now another couple of days wouldn't kill me
I bought the Smash controller bundle, but I have to wait until the first week of December for it to come in lol

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Wouldn't say impossible but it's definitely not the same level of comfort for me personally.

As for your unresponsiveness comment I didn't notice anything.

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet
My Original GC Controllers died quite some time ago so I have to shell out some cash for a controller and the adapter which I can't afford atm. I play with the gamepad and while it's not impossible by any means the GC controller just feels natural and right. Though that doesn't mean there aren't other options so don;t be so close minded. I'm sure the classic and pro controller play just fine.

Last edited:

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
My local store ****ed up the preorders and apparently "its nintendo's fault" i think i will stay with the pro controller. The only bad side on my story is that my friend wont be able to play with me.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I plan on getting the adapter, but for now, this works fine

it connects to your wiimote so your couch can be far from the TVand you're fine.

Only issue is you have to configure it to switch the L and R buttons with the Z buttons, because for some reason the default has them inverted.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Maybe if you actually played with the other controllers you would know that they work just fine.

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
Surprisingly, I don't mind playing with the Wii U Gamepad. It's size is well suited for my large hands.

And even more surprisingly, I have a GC Controller (from my Melee Days) and adapter and I absolutely cannot use it, it's much too small now.

However, I prefer to use my Wii U Pro Controller, at least for extended gaming sessions; It's just barely big enough for my hands, but it's not as heavy as the Gamepad.

For the Gamepad and Pro Controller, The controls and analogue sticks are very very very smooth and enjoyable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom