• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube controller for SSB4?

[Legend]

Smash Cadet
I would definitely prefer the GC controller over the Pro, I'm super worried about the button layout being awkward :(

That being said I assume they would allow adapters in tournaments if you brought your own, I hope anyway :ohwell:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I would definitely prefer the GC controller over the Pro, I'm super worried about the button layout being awkward :(

That being said I assume they would allow adapters in tournaments if you brought your own, I hope anyway :ohwell:
They should. But theres a chance they wont because the adapters aren't official Nintendo stuff. (legal stuff would probably be the main reason. They wouldn't want the guy who made them to get sued for stupid reasons)

[Legend]

Smash Cadet
They should. But theres a chance they wont because the adapters aren't official Nintendo stuff. (legal stuff would probably be the main reason. They wouldn't want the guy who made them to get sued for stupid reasons)
I think now is the time to voice a desire for a Nintendo adapter then, if there is a demand it would be in their interests to supply, right?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I think now is the time to voice a desire for a Nintendo adapter then, if there is a demand it would be in their interests to supply, right?
If the demands for a GC controller for smash4 rises to be very high, then Nintendo might consider to make their own adapter. However, keep in mind that Sakurai said : " The Gamecube controller isn't the only controller that you can play smash with."
That being said, I think Sakurai might stand his grounds and disinclude the GCC from Smash4.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I laugh at those who actually think Nintendo is going to officially bring back GameCube support to the Wii U. Why would Nintendo make an adapter so you can use a 12 year old controller from a 12 year old console (both of which no longer produced or distributed) that has less buttons than the Wii U Pro Controller (no stick buttons, a select button, or a 4th shoulder button) and lacks a home button (which all console controllers and handhelds have these days)? Plus the fact Nintendo removed complete GameCube support in newer versions of the Wii and same thing for the Wii U tells the reign of the GameCube is done for them. I, and probably neither does Nintendo, don't give a crap about the button placements or analog shoulder buttons of the GameCube controller or how great everyone says the controller is. It’s very clear Nintendo has moved on and so should everyone else. And I’m far more than certain that Nintendo would rather recommend you to use the Pro Controller than bother making a brand new controller that looks/plays like that legacy controller.

I don’t even have hope of any third party company making a Pro Controller in the shape of the GameCube controller either.

[Legend]

Smash Cadet
If the demands for a GC controller for smash4 rises to be very high, then Nintendo might consider to make their own adapter. However, keep in mind that Sakurai said : " The Gamecube controller isn't the only controller that you can play smash with."
That being said, I think Sakurai might stand his grounds and disinclude the GCC from Smash4.
I refuse to believe that they would think it to be okay to just not allow the GC controller to be compatible with the game seeing in how there is already an adapter for it out there, and yeah there may be other controllers for it but there are other ways to eat extremely hot food other than with utricles but if you used your hands it would be incredibly painful and wrong. Much like taking away the option to continue using a controller we've been using for yeaaaaars.

I have worn away the gloss and color on my GC controller due to the hours I've put into that game altogether, even the idea of using something else in that matter seems foreign.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I refuse to believe that they would think it to be okay to just not allow the GC controller to be compatible with the game seeing in how there is already an adapter for it out there, and yeah there may be other controllers for it but there are other ways to eat extremely hot food other than with utricles but if you used your hands it would be incredibly painful and wrong. Much like taking away the option to continue using a controller we've been using for yeaaaaars.

I have worn away the gloss and color on my GC controller due to the hours I've put into that game altogether, even the idea of using something else in that matter seems foreign.
Your questioned can be anwsered in a different PoV such as the quote below:
I laugh at those who actually think Nintendo is going to officially bring back GameCube support to the Wii U. Why would Nintendo make an adapter so you can use a 12 year old controller from a 12 year old console (both of which no longer produced or distributed) that has less buttons than the Wii U Pro Controller (no stick buttons, a select button, or a 4th shoulder button) and lacks a home button (which all console controllers and handhelds have these days)? Plus the fact Nintendo removed complete GameCube support in newer versions of the Wii and same thing for the Wii U tells the reign of the GameCube is done for them. I, and probably neither does Nintendo, don't give a crap about the button placements or analog shoulder buttons of the GameCube controller or how great everyone says the controller is. It’s very clear Nintendo has moved on and so should everyone else. And I’m far more than certain that Nintendo would rather recommend you to use the Pro Controller than bother making a brand new controller that looks/plays like that legacy controller.

I don’t even have hope of any third party company making a Pro Controller in the shape of the GameCube controller either.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Well it's a good thing I know they won't bring it back. Lol

That being said, I'm buying an adapter anyway.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I hope not. Then there will be all the Melee nuts comparing Smash 4 to it.
That was the main problem with Brawl. If you played with a GC controller you'd be trying to play like Melee. So the comparisons never stopped for most people. And that was the main reason it was unliked, because it didn't play like Melee. Too "floaty" (compared to Melee), hitstuns (compared to Melee) and harder to KO (compared to Melee).
I (and few others) sucked it up and got used to the Wiimote + nunchuck or classic controller and I preferred them much more.
Helps to separate the games you are playing. Did nobody else enjoy the complete freedom you had with the wiimote, nunchuck combo of how you rested your arms? Optimum laziness.
3 completely different games in the series, need a whole new strategy and play style to play each one, too difficult to adapt to the new style when you won't give up the past.

himemiya

Smash Lord
Anyway I expect those gamecube controller to wii u adapters to appear in markets by the time Smash 4's release comes near. So many people would be outraged if they couldn't play the game their way.Probably gonna see alot of these

PIC
Howcome the pro controller chouldn't be designed like that? I mean seriously why does nintendo have to make certain games limited to certain controllers? I don't really like that motion crap, they should make all controllers available for every games. Anyways sakurai doesn't seem to care and I think that the no gc plug-ins thing alone makes people not want to buy a wiiu for smash/other games (well legitemately atleast). The pro controller sucks and come to think about it it kinda looks like the 360 controller but with poorly designed button layout.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
The pro controller sucks and come to think about it it kinda looks like the 360 controller but with poorly designed button layout.
The pro controller does suck in my opinion. It's like a failed attempt to make a 360 controller look-a-like. The ABXYs' placement and size is just horrible.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I wish that the xbox had just copied the SNES controller's ABXY layout so that the new pro controller's ABXY layout wouldn't be such a big deal to new gamers.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I wish that the xbox had just copied the SNES controller's ABXY layout so that the new pro controller's ABXY layout wouldn't be such a big deal to new gamers.
Tbh, I'm not a big Xbox fan, I've barely played the console. I also didn't like the SNES controller when I played it a while ago. However, the wii u pro controller might be adaptive to SSB4s playstyle. We really can't tell except if we play the game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anyways sakurai doesn't seem to care
Actually, one of Sakurai's criterias for Brawl was that the game should be playable with a Gamecube controller, and not some stupid motion stuff, if Iwata didn't agree to that Sakurai didn't want to work on it. Turns out they figured out a way to integrate 4 different controllers.

It's all about getting used to something new, I dumped the Gamecube controller on Brawl's release because I wanted a new experience, so I went with the sideways Wiimote, which turned out to have problems low-jumping, so I've since changed to the Classic controller. It's not always easy adapting to a new controller, but I think that it's exciting, and I'll probably change to the Pro controller with Smash 4.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Actually, one of Sakurai's criterias for Brawl was that the game should be playable with a Gamecube controller, and not some stupid motion stuff, if Iwata didn't agree to that Sakurai didn't want to work on it. Turns out they figured out a way to integrate 4 different controllers.

It's all about getting used to something new, I dumped the Gamecube controller on Brawl's release because I wanted a new experience, so I went with the sideways Wiimote, which turned out to have problems low-jumping, so I've since changed to the Classic controller. It's not always easy adapting to a new controller, but I think that it's exciting, and I'll probably change to the Pro controller with Smash 4.
I played Brawl with the Wiimote+Nunchuck for the first year, which gave me a different experiance when I played with the GCC. However, I used to play Melee 24/7 and I found myself much better at the GCC than any other controller. Now, I and a lot of other players, are a lot better at the GCC now since we played Smash with it for 12 years. That's why people are fighting for it to be an optional controller for Smash4.

Mkan

Smash Rookie
NNID
AssertivePenguin
3DS FC
2535-3815-4887
I'm personally not all that concerned for GCN controller support in Smash 4, after all it will be a different game with a different play-style, and will probably be made to fit around the controllers that are currently available for the Wii U. I don't think we should worry about having to adapt, because Smash 4 probably won't play like Melee at all, so we may as well use the controllers setups that were made specifically for this game and not cling to the past, even if I do adore the GCN controller.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I'm personally not all that concerned for GCN controller support in Smash 4, after all it will be a different game with a different play-style, and will probably be made to fit around the controllers that are currently available for the Wii U. I don't think we should worry about having to adapt, because Smash 4 probably won't play like Melee at all, so we may as well use the controllers setups that were made specifically for this game and not cling to the past, even if I do adore the GCN controller.
We really won't know anything about Smash4's gameplay until June 4th or at E3. Until then, we can't ultimately judge on what controller will fit the playstyle.

Mkan

Smash Rookie
NNID
AssertivePenguin
3DS FC
2535-3815-4887
True, I am just speculating at this point, but do you really think Smash 4's playstyle is going to be built with the GCN controller in mind?

My point is that the game will be built with the controllers you can use on the Wii U in mind, so we may as well just move on because those are what we're supposed to play the game with.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I played Brawl with the Wiimote+Nunchuck for the first year, which gave me a different experiance when I played with the GCC. However, I used to play Melee 24/7 and I found myself much better at the GCC than any other controller. Now, I and a lot of other players, are a lot better at the GCC now since we played Smash with it for 12 years. That's why people are fighting for it to be an optional controller for Smash4.
That's completely understandable, I'm just one who likes to shake things up a bit when something new comes on the table, so I haven't played with the GCC since Melee.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
True, I am just speculating at this point, but do you really think Smash 4's playstyle is going to be built with the GCN controller in mind?

My point is that the game will be built with the controllers you can use on the Wii U in mind, so we may as well just move on because those are what we're supposed to play the game with.
Well, people didn't think that SSBB would be built with the GCN, it turns out it did and it was voted to be the most convenient and adaptive to the Smash series. It might not be adaptive to Smash4, but if Smash4 has the same mechanics as Brawl/Melee then I'm guessing it will still be the most convenient controller to the game.
That's completely understandable, I'm just one who likes to shake things up a bit when something new comes on the table, so I haven't played with the GCC since Melee.
I had the same ideology the first year of playing SSBB, and truly did enjoy the change of experiance and adapted to the Wii+nunchuck. But as competition rose, I had to change to a faster and better controller, which was the Gamecube controller. Again, this is my own opinion and might not be related to other players who might have disliked the GCN controller.

Mkan

Smash Rookie
NNID
AssertivePenguin
3DS FC
2535-3815-4887
Well, people didn't think that SSBB would be built with the GCN, it turns our it did and it was voted to be the most convenient and adaptive to the Smash serious. It might not be adaptive to Smash4, but if Smash4 has the same mechanics as Brawl/Melee then I'm guessing it will still be the most convenient controller to the game.
Good point. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Pivot

Godfather
3DS FC
4742-5223-3550
That's really cool. The Wii U controller honestly looks adjustable. As in, I think it wouldn't be too hard to adapt. I wouldn't be so quick to use a Gamecube controller from the getgo for Smash4 since there might be some advantages we haven't discovered or tested to using the Wii U controller for Smash4.

Like for example, the "A" button is much easier to access coming off the C-stick. I actually like how the C-stick is raised, since (using SSBB mentality) it would mean easier aerials (I use the C-stick for aerials).

But we can't speculate, since we don't know what which buttons will do what move. I can't see SSB4 tourneys held with those 3rd party wire things though. It just seems unnatural. I'm sure either Nintendo will think of something, or we'll adapt to the new Wii U controller.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
That's really cool. The Wii U controller honestly looks adjustable. As in, I think it wouldn't be too hard to adapt. I wouldn't be so quick to use a Gamecube controller from the getgo for Smash4 since there might be some advantages we haven't discovered or tested to using the Wii U controller for Smash4.

Like for example, the "A" button is much easier to access coming off the C-stick. I actually like how the C-stick is raised, since (using SSBB mentality) it would mean easier aerials (I use the C-stick for aerials).

But we can't speculate, since we don't know what which buttons will do what move. I can't see SSB4 tourneys held with those 3rd party wire things though. It just seems unnatural. I'm sure either Nintendo will think of something, or we'll adapt to the new Wii U controller.
I couldn't agree more, that's my prediction as well. All we have to do is wait and see the mechanics ourselves and discuss what controller would be the most adaptive to SSB4's gameplay.

Tylerflipz

Smash Rookie
I think the idea of having a wii remote to play the game should be ditched for good.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I think the idea of having a wii remote to play the game should be ditched for good.
I think your assumption of the wiimote is a tad mislead. It's definitely bad for expert-level competition, but it's also a control that helps you play SSBB with ease. A control that a casual gamer finds enjoyable. Some people like their controls to be simplistic instead of a bit complex. My nine year old brother plays the game with a wiiimote, and he's pretty darn good. He'd settle for 3rd place in a tournament with 18 year olds who can really play the game. In conclusion, playing with the wiimote doesn't necessarily imply that you're bad at the game, you can actually master is and beat player of equal skill who are using a Gamecube controller.

Tylerflipz

Smash Rookie
I think your assumption of the wiimote is a tad mislead. It's definitely bad for expert-level competition, but it's also a control that helps you play SSBB with ease. A control that a casual gamer finds enjoyable. Some people like their controls to be simplistic instead of a bit complex. My nine year old brother plays the game with a wiiimote, and he's pretty darn good. He'd settle for 3rd place in a tournament with 18 year olds who can really play the game. In conclusion, playing with the wiimote doesn't necessarily imply that you're bad at the game, you can actually master is and beat player of equal skill who are using a Gamecube controller.
It was kind of a biast opinion, I was convinced using the wii remote over all was just more difficult.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
If you're able to use it, great. If not, it's not gonna affect me. I'll adapt to the Wii U controller, Gamepad or Pro. I don't feel like buying an extra peripheral to use for one game.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
It was kind of a biast opinion, I was convinced using the wii remote over all was just more difficult.
Actually... It's too simplistic. Due to it's simplicity, people tend to not pick it up in order to perform complex actions with other controllers.

Tylerflipz

Smash Rookie
Actually... It's too simplistic. Due to it's simplicity, people tend to not pick it up in order to perform complex actions with other controllers.
Oh ok, I've used the gamecube controller for smash bros for almost a decade, I tried the Wii controller once and thought it was the stupidest thing because of the buttons used to play, it didn't feel right. So I'll stick with my gcn controller. But I didn't look at it that way, guess I don't quite understand.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Oh ok, I've used the gamecube controller for smash bros for almost a decade, I tried the Wii controller once and thought it was the stupidest thing because of the buttons used to play, it didn't feel right. So I'll stick with my gcn controller. But I didn't look at it that way, guess I don't quite understand.
Don't worry about it, you can use whatever controller you find convenient :)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I already have Pro controller i might as well try and see how it works out with smash.
but man SSB4 is going to be weird without a GC controller one of the best controllers Nintendo has ever made.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I'll probably try to use the Pro and game pad first but i will also get this adapter if the SSB4 also works with the classic controller.

The video bellow is about the adapter.

There seems to be an adapter that allows the connection of the GC controller to the WiiU. What are the chances of playing SSB4 with a GC controller? And if we were able to play with the GC controller, do you think that it will be allowed in tournaments?

I've talked with to many top players including Otori about the controller choice of SSB4. None of them, including myself and thousands of other players, want to adapt to a new controller after playing 12 years of smash with the same controller.

What do you guys think?
I don't know why you guys would bother. The Pro control will have advantages and disadvantages but will be about just as good in the end. Will only take a few hours of gameplay to adjust to.

When you want to play at a friends house without your gamecube control you'll be screwed because you haven't adapted yet. Better to just have some patience with the new control.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't know why you guys would bother. The Pro control will have advantages and disadvantages but will be about just as good in the end. Will only take a few hours of gameplay to adjust to.

When you want to play at a friends house without your gamecube control you'll be screwed because you haven't adapted yet. Better to just have some patience with the new control.
That's what I'm thinking...

Sure, I love the GCN controller... But it used to be that we moved through controllers every console generation, and hardly anybody had anywhere near the complaints that we're having these days. Sure, I don't want to have to play with the Wii Remote or gamepad. However, the Classic Controller Pro can be considered Nintendo's "regular controller" of this generation. I see no reason why we should be so stubborn.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

>Implying that I will only use a GCN controller.

I did say that I would learn to use the other controllers.

capitanfalcon

Smash Rookie
The sideways Wii controller is incredibly uncomfortable for my hands. The Wiichuck set-up is personally quite awkward for me. I've used the classic controller a few times but can't recall much about it. Overall, I much prefer the GC controller. I have no difficulties changing between the Melee and Brawl styles.

I grew up playing Smash 64. The GC controller didn't feel too different from the N64 controller (other than the moved joystick).

I'm probably getting the 3DS version and I'm quite used to using a 3DS now, so thankfully I won't have to worry about getting used to a new controller. Smash is one of those things that has become instinctual for me, and having to think about the controller is something that takes quite a bit for me to get used to.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Trust me, it will take at least a week to fully adjust to any controller, a couple of hours is way too little of a time to adjust.

Anyways, many people don't have any problem in abandoning the GCN controller for the Pro controller. However, they still prefer to use the GCN.

This doesn't favorite any controller over the GCN controllers because you can forget any of your controller as well at a friends house or anywhere in general.

[Legend]

Smash Cadet
I've recently come to terms with the pro controller, it sucks to part ways with years of familiarity but in the long run I feel like it would be better to focus on figuring out a good button layout if one is needed, and I'm sure that moving on will make one stronger when its all said and done

Kinda like moving on after a bad break up :p

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I love the fact that i said i would learn to use the other controllers and i still get lectured for some reason.

Top Bottom