• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube controller for SSB4?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
There seems to be an adapter that allows the connection of the GC controller to the WiiU. What are the chances of playing SSB4 with a GC controller? And if we were able to play with the GC controller, do you think that it will be allowed in tournaments?

I've talked with to many top players including Otori about the controller choice of SSB4. None of them, including myself and thousands of other players, want to adapt to a new controller after playing 12 years of smash with the same controller.

What do you guys think?

Neontiger94

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't think Nintendo cares enough. They will probably just point to the new pro controller or whatever and say "there you go". It also seems like a big inconvenience to use adapters for big tournaments but it isn't impossible.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Funny story actually, my old wii wouldn't read discs so I got myself a new one, I was pretty saddened about not having my data for my games. So when I played Brawl I realized it didn't have GCN slots. Luckily I'm getting my old wii fixed. So I want their to be GCN controller compatibility in SSB4

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Funny story actually, my old wii wouldn't read discs so I got myself a new one, I was pretty saddened about not having my data for my games. So when I played Brawl I realized it didn't have GCN slots. Luckily I'm getting my old wii fixed. So I want their to be GCN controller compatibility in SSB4
Same thing happened to me but I knew about the new version which had no GC controller support so I bought a refurbished classic Wii.
I can't let go of the GC controller, it's like an extra limb.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I like the placement of the C-Stick and the A button. I mostly use the C-stick for all my Aerial attack, except for N-air ofc. The placement of the A,X,Y,B buttons on the WiiU Pro controller seems way off, it's gonna be hard adapting to the new controller and playing Smash4 as good as when we first began Brawl.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I also notice your a newcomer here, welcome to the community, Demna. I was fine, if not better with the classic controller, but I only have one so when I play with my friends, who prefer GameCube, I only can use that because of the new wii.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I also notice your a newcomer here, welcome to the community, Demna. I was fine, if not better with the classic controller, but I only have one so when I play with my friends, who prefer GameCube, I only can use that because of the new wii.
Thank you FireEmblemnier ^_^

Didn't Sakurai state a time that he was trying to think of ways besides the Gamecube controller?
Exactly. However, most people dont want other ways of playing smash other than the Gamecube controller, competitively of course.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Since the Wii U doesn't support GameCube controllers, we will have to adapt to a new controller. Simple as that. I've been playing Smash with GameCube controllers since Melee, but I don't think the controller question is a big obstacle.

The Wii U Classic Controller looks good to play and the Game Pad doesn't look bad either.

We still have the Wii Remote + Nunchuck combination and Wii's Classic Controller, both of which aren't bad options.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Gamepad/Pro Controller
Pros:
4 Digital Triggers
Traditional Button Layout allows for
4 button combos YX,XA,AB,BY
(Smash doesn't require button combos)

Cons:
Analog Sticks placed Above Buttons
No Rubber Grips On Analog Sticks
Untested in Smash

Other Notes:
Dpad bigger than other nintendo
controllers but still as responsive
as nintendo dpads are known for.
Also Analog sticks register
360 degrees and can be pressed
as buttons.

Wiimote + Nunchuck:
Pros:
Best Dpad, Small and Elevated
Digital Z and C button
Used by many newcomers to Smash

Cons:
1 and 2 Buttons are at the bottom
of the controller out of reach.
+ and - buttons also in awkward position
Dpad placed above A button

Notes:
Skilled use of motion controls can make
up for lack of second analog (not that pros
would use a second analog in smash)
The controller works for smash, as
smash requires only 1 stick and 5 buttons.
(ABZC and bottom of Dpad)

Gamecube Controller:
Pros:
Rubber grips on Analog Sticks
Small Dpad (also rubber)
Buttons above right stick
Used in Smash for over a Decade

Cons:
Analog triggers unnecessary for fighters.
Analog sticks staggered

Notes:
Large A button prevents button combos like
XY,YB BX (unnecessary in Smash but
prevents thumb from having access to both the
jump button and special buton at the same time, whereas other controllers allow this)

Other:
Classic Controller Pro:
Analog Sticks on same level
Right stick below buttons
Same as Gamepad and Pro controller
but sticks dont click like buttons and
only register 8 directions.

None of the cons really affect a game like smash except for the gamecube controller's ergonomic button design placing the jump buttons slightly to far from the b button.
The wiimote nunchuck combo don't leave much room for new controls. I dont think The smash community recognizes the wiimote held sideways as a legitimate style of play so I excluded it from the list.

It would seem that the classic controller pro provides the best of each world in a game like smash except for the fact that it has to be plugged into a wiimote and has no rubber grips. Also by default the grab and shield buttons are swapped, but that can be fixed in the options.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
None of the cons really affect a game like smash except for the gamecube controller's ergonomic button design placing the jump buttons slightly to far from the b button.
The wiimote nunchuck combo don't leave much room for new controls. I dont think The smash community recognizes the wiimote held sideways as a legitimate style of play so I excluded it from the list.

It would seem that the classic controller pro provides the best of each world in a game like smash except for the fact that it has to be plugged into a wiimote and has no rubber grips. Also by default the grab and shield buttons are swapped, but that can be fixed in the options.
For Jumping on the gamecube, I slide the analog stick up.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I should have taken that into account, I shouldn't have assumed that everyone prefers using buttons to jump. Brawl introduced the option to disable jumping with the analog stick that I've seen many bless it for. Accidental jumping when trying to perform an up tilt is eliminated.
Disabling analog stick jumping also makes doing diagonal side attacks more realistic of an attack method as you can firmly angle the stick diagonally upward without worry of doing an up tilt or short hop instead. I'd like to see diagonal attacks have more of an emphasis like in Project M.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103

You can always use the left analog stick to jump. If you think the classic controller pro is the best choice for playing, then why do most/all top players play with a GCC controller?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I should have taken that into account, I shouldn't have assumed that everyone prefers using buttons to jump. Brawl introduced the option to disable jumping with the analog stick that I've seen many bless it for. Accidental jumping when trying to perform an up tilt is eliminated.
Disabling analog stick jumping also makes doing diagonal side attacks more realistic of an attack method as you can firmly angle the stick diagonally upward without worry of doing an up tilt or short hop instead. I'd like to see diagonal attacks have more of an emphasis like in Project M.
I'm just used to that way since Melee and I'm fine with it, I have no problem doing any attacks, unlike the people blessing it. This way of playing should at least be taking in consideration.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
@Demna
Most pros use GC controllers because melee is a gamecube game and the gamecube is only compatible with GC controllers.

@FireEmblemnier
The gamecube controller keeps your fingers always on Grab,Shield Attack and Special. A quick movement of the thumb places it on the Jump buttons, Perfect if you have incredible analog stick precision to be able to pull off tilts and diagonal side tilts 100% of the time like a smash god. For people who lack your tilting talents Just change X or Y to the Special button and then you can reach the Jump button too.Don't know why I didn't think of this before. I mean who needs 2 jump buttons?

INB4 two jump buttons are necessary

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
The gamecube controller keeps your fingers always on Grab,Shield Attack and Special. A quick movement of the thumb places it on the Jump buttons, Perfect if you have incredible analog stick precision to be able to pull off tilts and diagonal side tilts 100% of the time like a smash god. For people who lack your tilting talents Just change X or Y to the Special button and then you can reach the Jump button too.Don't know why I didn't think of this before. I mean who needs 2 jump buttons?
Up-tilt doesn't require an incredible analog stick precision in my opinion, it just needs basic training and getting used to it, I'm able to perform an uptilt, without the analog stick being disabled from jumping, in a quick and efficient manner through little practice and experiance.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I edited my previous comment to answer your first question Denma.

It also takes little skill to adapt to pressing A+B to grab on the wiimote, but cant you understand why some would disable this and change Grab to Down on the DPad?
Same with pressing R + A to grab on the GC controller. Everyone just uses Z as its simpler to have 1 button do 1 thing.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I edited my previous comment to answer your first question Denma.

It also takes little skill to adapt to pressing A+B to grab on the wiimote, but cant you understand why some would disable this and change Grab to Down on the DPad?
Same with pressing R + A to grab on the GC controller. Everyone just uses Z as its simpler to have 1 button do 1 thing.
In my perspective when using the wiimote+nunchuck, I would set the Dpad to smashes, and C to grab. I would never put myself in a situation where I'm forced to use A+B to perform a grab because I'm out of options

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Anyway I expect those gamecube controller to wii u adapters to appear in markets by the time Smash 4's release comes near. So many people would be outraged if they couldn't play the game their way.Probably gonna see alot of these

PIC

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I would love to play SSB4 with a Gamecube controller. I'd probably main it, in fact.

In all seriousness, yeah, after 12 years of using the GCN controller to play Smash, I just know a transition's going to be really, really hard for me. I'm willing to transfer, though. Being tethered to anything so dependently isn't a good thing. However, I'd be a lot more confident about picking up a new controller if, you know, I liked any of them, and so far, I just don't. The best option at the moment seems to be the Wii U Pro, but something about its design just rubs me the wrong way. It must be the lack of a C-stick. Sure, the second joystick may function like the C-stick, but the positioning is just...way too different. It doesn't help that the GCN controller is probably the most well-designed controller in history. It's just so comfortable, which really helps in a precision-based game like Smash Bros.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Let it go.

Wii U pro controller will work perfectly fine.

Am I the only one who preferred Nunchuck + Wiimote for Brawl?

D

Deleted member

I'd love to, but I don't have any gamecube controllers anymore. I'll use a Wii U controller that's functions like an Xbox controller. So the batteries can recharge.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Let it go.

Wii U pro controller will work perfectly fine.

Am I the only one who preferred Nunchuck + Wiimote for Brawl?
That's what I'd say myself, but some people can't let go of the past. In fact, I used the Wii Classic Controller way more than the GameCube Controller for Brawl.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Anyway I expect those gamecube controller to wii u adapters to appear in markets by the time Smash 4's release comes near. So many people would be outraged if they couldn't play the game their way.Probably gonna see alot of these

PIC
The likelihood of the controller being release by nintendo is very low

IceColdSmashBrother

Smash Rookie
I'm terrible with the nun chucks. I don't think I'll care as much personally to use the Wii-U remote just because it's a controller instead of two handhelds.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Having played with the new Classic Pro control a few times now, I think it's more than up to the task.

Sure we're all used to the gamecube control at the moment. But it won't take long at all adjusting.
It's built perfectly for a game like smash. Everything is in the right place, will just feel funny for the few hours of gameplay then it'll feel like part of your hand again.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Having played with the new Classic Pro control a few times now, I think it's more than up to the task.

Sure we're all used to the gamecube control at the moment. But it won't take long at all adjusting.
It's built perfectly for a game like smash. Everything is in the right place, will just feel funny for the few hours of gameplay then it'll feel like part of your hand again.
I concur. However, people want a head start on the game by playing the GCC. We can all adapt to a new controller but how long is it gonna take to play as good as we played with the GC controller? It varies from person to person and it really sucks for a person who can't adapt quickly

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
That's what I'd say myself, but some people can't let go of the past. In fact, I used the Wii Classic Controller way more than the GameCube Controller for Brawl.
I prefer the Wiichuk too so you're not alone.
I didn't like playing Brawl with the Gamecube controller at all.
Whenever I did it I felt like playing Melee style, which you can't because it's a completely different game.
I loved the N64 controller but I wouldn't want to play Melee with that.
Glad I just sucked it up and got used to Nunchuck + Wiimote, I've used the classic controller for Wii and I liked it but never ended up getting one so never really used it.
It helps to separate the games more when you use a completely different controller for each one.
Brawl just feels right with the Wii remotes, and I'm sure the new Smash will feel perfectly fine with the pro controller or even gamepad.

People just never moved on, I get that the Gamecube has a very good controller, but you shouldn't be hoping that it will be specialized for each new system as the years go by.

I concur. However, people want a head start on the game by playing the GCC. We can all adapt to a new controller but how long is it gonna take to play as good as we played with the GC controller? It varies from person to person and it really sucks for a person who can't adapt quickly

You can't expect to be as good at this game the second you play it like you were in Melee.
It was the same for Brawl. The Wiimote + Nunchuck combo was quite difficult to get used to, but after many hours of playing you get used to it. I mean how did people get good with the Gamecube controller in the first place? They practiced and played a lot. The learning curve won't be too much with this new game because the GC and pro controller are 'kind of' similar, whereas the Wiimote was a huge jump to a completely different concept.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I didn't like playing Brawl with the Gamecube controller at all.
Whenever I did it I felt like playing Melee style, which you can't because it's a completely different game.
I loved the N64 controller but I wouldn't want to play Melee with that.
Glad I just sucked it up and got used to Nunchuck + Wiimote, I've used the classic controller for Wii and I liked it but never ended up getting one so never really used it.
It helps to separate the games more when you use a completely different controller for each one.
Brawl just feels right with the Wii remotes, and I'm sure the new Smash will feel perfectly fine with the pro controller or even gamepad.

People just never moved on, I get that the Gamecube has a very good controller, but you shouldn't be hoping that it will be specialized for each new system as the years go by.

You can't expect to be as good at this game the second you play it like you were in Melee.
It was the same for Brawl. The Wiimote + Nunchuck combo was quite difficult to get used to, but after many hours of playing you get used to it. I mean how did people get good with the Gamecube controller in the first place? They practiced and played a lot. The learning curve won't be too much with this new game because the GC and pro controller are 'kind of' similar, whereas the Wiimote was a huge jump to a completely different concept.
I started playing brawl with the Wiimote+nunchuck, I was pretty decent at it. But I still think that the GC controller is most efficient controller. However, we still don't really know the playstyle of SSB4. Heck, the GCC might not even be good for it. I just hope that the Wii U pro controller would turn out to be a good controller to play SSB4 with.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The chances of Nintendo releasing a GameCube controller for Wii U is actually likely , since Wii U will have GameCube games in its virtual console.
Reggie said he'd love to see GameCube VC. Nothing has been confirmed outside of NES, SNES, and GBA.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I know Wikipedia isn't some god of knowledge since anybody can write whatever they want , but it says that "Amber McCollum stated that select Nintendo GameCube titles would be made available"

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm not saying it's never happening but Amber said that at the Wii U reveal back at E3 2011. Plus she said it'll be on WiiWare, and Nintendo has ditched the "Ware" term for a while (plus for the original WiiWare a game couldn't be any bigger than 40 MB, while GameCube had a 1.4 GB limit), kinda telling me she doesn't know what she's talking about. Plus Iwata hasn't said such thing on any of the Nintendo Directs since the Wii U came out.

It's still VERY possible GameCube can hit Wii U but nothing has been confirmed or still up to date.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I'm not saying it's never happening but Amber said that at the Wii U reveal back at E3 2011. Plus she said it'll be on WiiWare, and Nintendo has ditched the "Ware" term for a while (plus for the original WiiWare a game couldn't be any bigger than 40 MB, while GameCube had a 1.4 GB limit), kinda telling me she doesn't know what she's talking about. Plus Iwata hasn't said such thing on any of the Nintendo Directs since the Wii U came out.

It's still VERY possible GameCube can hit Wii U but nothing has been confirmed or still up to date.
I'll just be hoping then . I'm not just disapointed when something doesn't happen , but also when I was (pretty) sure it would . The worst part would be that I would have 2 disapointments : that would make the chances of Nintendo creating a GameCube controller pretty much dead...

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103

Nintendo have been getting a lot of fan messages wanting the gamecube to be a feature in the WII U. I think it might happen.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I'm one of those weirdos who CANNOT use a GCN controller in Brawl, 'cause I'll start thinking about Melee physics and stuff. I need to use a CC in Brawl (not the Pro, I HATE those), and will probably need another new controller for SSB4.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I'm one of those weirdos who CANNOT use a GCN controller in Brawl, 'cause I'll start thinking about Melee physics and stuff. I need to use a CC in Brawl (not the Pro, I HATE those), and will probably need another new controller for SSB4.
Usually the GC controller helps you adapt to Brawl faster than any other controller because you're used to it from playing SSBM. That is the case for most players and that's why they want it for SSB4.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'll probably try to use the Pro and game pad first but i will also get this adapter if the SSB4 also works with the classic controller.

The video bellow is about the adapter.

Top Bottom