• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube controller for SSB4?

Infinitroll

Smash Rookie
Well, 3rd party manufactuers have already made a classic controller styled after the SNES controller. So i could see a wii U pro controller shaped like a gamecube controller (with an extra z button). Also a 3rd party can have it hook up via usb and then there is no lag.

Attachments

Ulevo

Smash Master
I hope not. Then there will be all the Melee nuts comparing Smash 4 to it.
That was the main problem with Brawl. If you played with a GC controller you'd be trying to play like Melee. So the comparisons never stopped for most people. And that was the main reason it was unliked, because it didn't play like Melee. Too "floaty" (compared to Melee), hitstuns (compared to Melee) and harder to KO (compared to Melee).
I (and few others) sucked it up and got used to the Wiimote + nunchuck or classic controller and I preferred them much more.
Helps to separate the games you are playing. Did nobody else enjoy the complete freedom you had with the wiimote, nunchuck combo of how you rested your arms? Optimum laziness.
3 completely different games in the series, need a whole new strategy and play style to play each one, too difficult to adapt to the new style when you won't give up the past.

Uh, no.

People used the GC controller for Brawl because there were actual limitations on what you could and could not do in the game without the use of the GC controller. And even though they were different games, the fundamentals of Brawl and Melee were similar, so it made using the same controller just rational for some people. Why would a competitive player intentionally try to adapt to something new to win if they didn't have to and could use what worked?

People did not make Melee vs Brawl comparisons because of the controller options. lol

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Uh, no.

People used the GC controller for Brawl because there were actual limitations on what you could and could not do in the game without the use of the GC controller. And even though they were different games, the fundamentals of Brawl and Melee were similar, so it made using the same controller just rational for some people. Why would a competitive player intentionally try to adapt to something new to win if they didn't have to and could use what worked?

People did not make Melee vs Brawl comparisons because of the controller options. lol

I'm guessing you've never used Wiimote + Nunchuck....
Obviously using different controller gives the game a whole new feel. How can it not?
What do you mean limitations? They each do the same thing.
Playing with the Gamecube controller for Brawl makes you want to play Melee style.
Try with the Nunchuck and then try with the Gamecube controller, then you'll understand.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Uh, no.

You obviously have never played with anything other then a GC controller. I have been using the Wii Classic Controller and it can do everything the GC controller can do. Now I'm not saying what PikeJew said is true about when playing with a GC controller makes you want to play like you play Melee as thats a bunch of BS lol. Just that the other control schemes can EVERYTHING the GC controller can do. o.O

Ulevo

Smash Master
You obviously have never played with anything other then a GC controller. I have been using the Wii Classic Controller and it can do everything the GC controller can do. Now I'm not saying what PikeJew said is true about when playing with a GC controller makes you want to play like you play Melee as thats a bunch of BS lol. Just that the other control schemes can EVERYTHING the GC controller can do. o.O

The Wiimote and Nunchuck combination cannot do things the C-Stick gives you the ability to do consistently. Retreating fairs. Forward moving bairs. Stutter step forward and back forward smashes. Dairs without fast falls. Having total autonomy in the air with aerials in particular.

For the classic controller, you're right, though in most cases it is harder to make the most of the controller layout without remapping the buttons because of how the buttons are spaced on the layout.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The Wiimote and Nunchuck combination cannot do things the C-Stick gives you the ability to do consistently. Retreating fairs. Forward moving bairs. Stutter step forward and back forward smashes. Dairs without fast falls. Having total autonomy in the air with aerials in particular.

For the classic controller, you're right, though in most cases it is harder to make the most of the controller layout without remapping the buttons because of how the buttons are spaced on the layout.
All it does is take getting use to, You and I might not be able to do those things consistently with the Wiimote and Nunchuck but other people might if they are comfortable with it.

As for Classic... It jsut depends from person to person, some people feel more comfortable with the default buttons and do just fine, though I had to remap the buttons myself to get it to feel comfortable for me and now I prefer the Classic Controler over the Gamecube one as it just goes so much smoother for me now with the remapping of the buttons.

Ulevo

Smash Master
You can't move in one direction and attack in the other without a C-Stick. It's not a matter of "might not be able to those things consistently." It's a matter of the Wii Mote + Nunchuck doesn't have one.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You can't move in one direction and attack in the other without a C-Stick. It's not a matter of "might not be able to those things consistently." It's a matter of the Wii Mote + Nunchuck doesn't have one.
You can shake the Wiimote to do that.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Gamecube controllers for Sm4sh are a pipedream. Not only are they something Nintendo doesn't want to think about now that they are in a mode of pushing forward, they honestly aren't any "better" except maybe in regard to the shoulder buttons being analogue rather than digital. The Wii U Pro controller is fantastic and you will get used to it. When Melee first came out, Gamecube controllers felt as natural as the Wii U one does now. It's all about getting used to it. Not to mention that the game will obviously not be designed with the Gamecube controller in mind.

Uffe

Smash Hero
If the GameCube controller could be used for Smash 4, then that would be great. However, I don't have any new GC controllers, and some of mines have issues that I would need to personally fix. However, I lack the right tools to open one up, so I'm unable to fix that sticky R button of mine, and I refuse to use the L button to block. I am waaay to used to the right side.

Mind Ranger

Smash Apprentice
I think they are very unlikely.
Nintendo wants us to start using their new controls.
I loved the GC control, it was great. I have never played with anything else so I will suck at first.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think Nintendo would want fans to adapt to the new controller, but I can understand why players wouldn't want to after using the same one for years.

Even if they do, the Gamecube controller will of course fade out of the present after a few years. It won't always be available for Smash fans, or Nintendo fans period.

Personally I just want to be able to use the Wii mote and Nunchuck.

Top Bottom