• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I've decided to pick him up as a low tier because Kirby is horrible and I was basically only playing him off and on for his annoying D-tilt but then I realized Game & Watch's D-tilt is significantly more annoying and combos and shit and Kirby is horrible.

Does anyone have any good videos of how to fight Falco's laser spam?

Jim & Watch

Smash Rookie
I can say you could try a few things against falco - including wavedashing from shield, learning how to powershield lasers to start. you can notice he can duck under many lasers unless they are the lowest he can shoot them. right now im practicing powershielding with game and watch consistently, which is difficult with his small shield but possible. one of the things with game and watch thats awesome is that there is so much room for innovation, try out anything and everything :D

too bad good game and watch vids are pretty rare :p

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
I've decided to pick him up as a low tier because Kirby is horrible and I was basically only playing him off and on for his annoying D-tilt but then I realized Game & Watch's D-tilt is significantly more annoying and combos and shit and Kirby is horrible.

Does anyone have any good videos of how to fight Falco's laser spam?
First step to fighting Falco's laser spam is banning FD.

After that, I always camp platforms against Falco and just abuse edgecancelled aerial hitboxes and Dtilts. SHDair reaches through the platform and can hit Falco on his little mohawk thing so if you're lucky you can get things like edgecancelled DAir -> FFBair -> Pivot jab ->Dtilt/grab. Situational, I know but it's a great way to rack damage. For mixups, you can do things like empty SH->fallthrough aerial.

Also, crouching helps alot vs Falco with GaW because if he doesn't laser right, they'll go flying over GaW. In this situation, you can shield as its flying over you and it'll count as a powershield.

Jim & Watch

Smash Rookie
Also, crouching helps alot vs Falco with GaW because if he doesn't laser right, they'll go flying over GaW. In this situation, you can shield as its flying over you and it'll count as a powershield.
holy crap **** it seems that it gives you more time to powershield. *practicing* :O

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Yeah, the powersheild thing is weird because since I'm crouching when I sheild I screw up and end up angling my sheild downwards, which makes the laser hit my hand or my big-*** nose. Perhaps angling the sheild forwards would make it easier?

Jim & Watch

Smash Rookie
GaW has some awesome counters to some projectiles. not just his down+b with people like samus, but i use a nicely timed Fair while recovering to block shieks needles and peaches turnips.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Okay so I'm liking the idea of hiding on platforms to avoid lasers and then just doing Dairs and waveland Fairs to get in. And ducking.

Next issue.

Captain Falcon. I hate this guy. Even with Sheik. And I hate him even more with Game & Watch. Well, up to the point where I hit him, anyway. Then I love him. But hitting him is difficult. Ducking his grab is wonderful, but the Knee kills me at like 10 and I have the worst techs in the game except MAYBE Pichu. And my shield can never beat a Knee, so even if he's slow he can still sometimes get me. And I hate it.

Any tricks to this matchup? I know CC Nairs into D-tilt, I know avoid his heavy moves like Bair and Dair and Knee because I can't CC them. How does U-tilt work out? Since I spend so much time ducking and forcing him to do heavy, slower aerials, it seems on paper (at least on paper) it would be a good defense against those heavy moves. Maybe I could wait for the jump and then U-tilt on reaction to defend myself from potential stomps and whatnot. Or is it just better to get out of the way and D-tilt?

Mercifully he's super easy to chain grab with D-throw and combo.

I'm thinking I need to play super spacing oriented but I'm not sure what kind of spacing I want against him. Does Game & Watch excel in close quarters against this tights-clad macho man? Should I be aiming to stay sort of far but not really far? Should I alternatively throw spacing to the winds and be pretending I'm a bad version of M2K's Marth and ledge camp when I have a lead for gimps? It seems my throws hurt him no matter where I am onstage so I'm not sure gimping is the answer, since Game & Watch is okay at comboing into edgeguards, but a lot of time my finishers send really high because of their natural trajectory, so again I'm not so sure. Should I be aiming for gimps? Are there tricks to making him coming down from really high a pain?

All advice appreciated.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
GaW vs Falcon is an infuriating matchup. It more or less comes down to whoever attacks first is generally going to lose if they miss. But since GaW's approach sucks balls and CF is good at feinting stuff, you'll generally get ****ed up a lot.

Hella camping is done in this matchup. You have no reason to approach him. If you can call his approach however, your utilt with crush anything he has from the air, which can lead to grabs/juggles. Also, retreating fairs are good.

It's really hard to land a solid hit on a campy CF that'll lead to anything more than a few extra percent. Falcon, on the other hand, has a field day with GaW. EZ-mode tech-chases. Easy mode kills. Edgeguarding GaW is pretty easy too. Comboing GaW is like watching fireworks go off. Also, cross-stage Dthrow chaingrabs into a Knee. Gahh****it.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It sounds like you're saying

"Unless he's cornered or some ****, run defense."

And

"Do whatever you're doing just do it better. This includes combos, timing U-tilt, picking when to U-tilt, moving into and out of crouch at the right times, and using your aerials. And edgeguarding."

And

"Falcon can Z2D you because your techs are slower than most supermodels after a swig of Ultra Downy! And you die at 50 from Knee! And you can be chain grabbed! And you die at 50 from the Knee! And U-throw Uair is a true combo at some percents! And you die at 50 from the Knee!"

Dammit guys I need something more substantial than that!

n0ne

Smash Ace
Key to beating Falcon with G&W is observing WHEN that Falcon uses his 2nd jump.
If u can eat his jump, then combo from it, Falcon`s pretty much dead.
(Fair fair fair).

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
i would say never approach with fair

good things to do are: 1. run close, then full jump retreating fair 2. run in and then wd back down tilts(you may need 2 or more WD's)

never try fair on the shield into down tilt unless you have it spaced really well

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
It sounds like you're saying

"Unless he's cornered or some ****, run defense."

And

"Do whatever you're doing just do it better. This includes combos, timing U-tilt, picking when to U-tilt, moving into and out of crouch at the right times, and using your aerials. And edgeguarding."

And

"Falcon can Z2D you because your techs are slower than most supermodels after a swig of Ultra Downy! And you die at 50 from Knee! And you can be chain grabbed! And you die at 50 from the Knee! And U-throw Uair is a true combo at some percents! And you die at 50 from the Knee!"

Dammit guys I need something more substantial than that!
Sorry, I'm really bad at talking about matchups. It's just that a grounded Falcon is almost as bad as a grounded Sheik. A lot of the matchup is baiting approaches, baiting jumps, and not getting caught in your sheild. I would honestly ban FD.

I find it hard to put the matchup in words because Falcon kind of eludes me.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm realizing more and more how much I hate not being able to abuse how gay waveshielding is.

But at the same time I like disjointed hitboxes.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
does anyone use down smash on purpose? its kinda bad against spacies, but i havent tested it against floaties

trying to get the tipped part is not practical

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
D-throw D-smash is fabulous vs space animals and tips at certain percents on certain DIs

You can also U-throw D-smash FFers

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I love G&W vs Falcon. Yeah it sucks if you get grabbed, but on the other hand G&W gimps Falcon BRAIN DEAD EASILY. Many of G&W's answers are also very good at keeping Falcon honest with his approaches.

Seriously, you just F-tilt as Falcon recovers. Pretty much everything G&W does gimps Falcon offstage really easily. Then throw -> F-smash/Judgement shenanigans, I love this matchup. Kill or be killed.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Not if you tip it.

I said "certain percents and DIs" because at like 30~ or so if they DI away from your D-throw (which you can react to) you can D-smash and it tips and then does like 16% and launches them. You might not get a combo 'cuz they can go kind of far sometimes but sometimes you can then do **** stuff.

U-throw D-smash works vs some DIs on the throw at super low percents (like, sub 15, 20?), you have to walk or something to get the tip but it definitely combos. It seems like he takes less time to recover out of D-smash than U-smash so it might be worth considering sometimes? I dunno. Just a thought.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
ok

i still think going for a bigger combo or J9 would be preferred, but if you can tip it that may be a good option too, i havent tried that out yet

Top Bottom