• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch buffed?

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Looks like he got a buff! He's got great vertical speed and some hard hits.

I only just started playing him in Melee this week but he sure is fun! What do you guys think about his performance on Brawl so far?

Malk

Smash Champion
Game and Watch got mega buffed. His moves all still link in the same simple combos, and his smashes are still relatively easy to land and kill with. Down throw puts people on the ground immediately for simple techchasing.

Thing is, he isn't 2D anymore. He is suppposed to be, but the game makes all the characters move so smooth that he seems like a real boy. :C

Xervah

Smash Cadet
Looks buffed overall to me, except him f-air still has considerable lag time. He leaves the hat or whatever on the ground for so long. If you miss then you are sure to be punished.

Lag

Smash Journeyman
Yep he got buffed, no doubt about it. Thank the Game and Watch gods for the shield actually protecting him now.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Yep he got buffed, no doubt about it. Thank the Game and Watch gods for the shield actually protecting him now.
I know what you mean. Characters could low attack poor old G&W in melee and he was helpless to stop em!

Kruton

Smash Ace
He is probably up there with one of the most improved from Melee (even though he's still mega light).

So many KO moves, and his down smash is SO fast now. Plus being able attack out of an up+B is always a major character advantage.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W is at MINIMUM high tier this time around. I'd bet money with someone that he actually makes top tier this time around. He singlehandedly has the most well rounded moveset in the entire freaking game. He really freaking has a move for everything this time around (yes, he has moves that are for pure ownage. =D), and his defense no longer blows (although he's lightweight).

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
I've just started playing G+W and found him really fun ^_^

Has anyone else tried using his D-Air as an edge-guard? It can spike, though I'm not sure how you have to land it to do so. Because it goes downwards so quick you can catch people out, but you can still recover afterwards, or even if you miss.

Tech chasing is also great. I did D-throw, jab, d-tilt tech chase re-grab. It's the main use I see for getting his upsmash in. Great that his fsmash seems to stay out long enough to hit someone who spot dodges it too, if with less knockback/power.

This 'pillaring' style thing with his up+B is pretty funky too, could lead to some coold stuff especially on platforms like Battlefield.

CircularGeometry

Smash Rookie
Alright, I've had the chance to play G&W this week, and he's definitely different from his Melee incarnation. The only downgrade he seemed to get was his manhole, which has less knockback than before and also hits the player to the side. However, it still comes out almost as quick as before.

However, he got many more upgrades. I noticed playing he's not as light as before. I was able to survive a lot longer and take a few smashes before being knocked off the stage. Also, the torch is as good and now so is the double hammer smash. That move covers both sides and has incredible knockback.

Tropical fish, his new Nair, is strange in that it hits lightly a few times, but it comes out very quickly. I think that the key to playing G&W successfully will be to exploit his throws and smashes on the ground, but try and keep the battle to the air. His Up A keeps characters afloat. When I played, I was able to keep Toon Link's spike off balance and escape, as well as set up air combos with Tropical Fish into it. :)

He's definitely buffed, but it's going to take awhile to see how his upgrades offset the new characters. I don't know why, but with every fighting game, new characters seem to have this syndrome of being extremely bad or ridiculously good. I'm hoping they got the balance right so that returning characters are on an even level, because G&W is going to be much more competitive.

That_Move_is_Key

Smash Cadet
from what I see, he's definitely buffed.

though his key move was already pretty good, it has a faster takeout and a quicker fall, and I believe it has one of those puffy damage areas like with Yoshi's down B (sorry I don't know all the smash terms of yet) for when you miss (assuming you would)

I think his torch hits faster, and a shorter time.

but from what I've seen so far, his uair and dtilt (manhole, right?) seem at least slightly nerfed. the executions I saw could've been misses, though.

I'm liking his new ability to attack out of up B. It'll make good combos, I think. At the least, you don't have to worry about being vulnerable after that awesome leap!

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
though his key move was already pretty good, it has a faster takeout and a quicker fall, and I believe it has one of those puffy damage areas like with Yoshi's down B (sorry I don't know all the smash terms of yet) for when you miss (assuming you would)
his dair is still similar to melee's where it has the 2 hitboxes: 1 with the key itself, 2 when you hit the ground and the area around him gets hit. with the spike and the landing hit = the good ol' 1+2 combo

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
from what I see, he's definitely buffed.

I think his torch hits faster, and a shorter time.

but from what I've seen so far, his uair and dtilt (manhole, right?) seem at least slightly nerfed. the executions I saw could've been misses, though.

I'm liking his new ability to attack out of up B. It'll make good combos, I think. At the least, you don't have to worry about being vulnerable after that awesome leap!
From everything I've observed, he's buffed to the point of top tier.

His D-air yes causes him to fast fall. Since fastfallers don't exist, and since you can Directionally Influence this particular fast fall attack, = awesome. =)

All three of G&W's Smashes are overpowered. He literally kills at similar %s to Ike as far as I have seen.

His U-air is mega buffed. Hits harder, the two hits connect more easily, and if you miss, Wind Effect push up for the win. Cosmo actually gimp kills with the wind effect in one of his matches.

His Up-B is broken. He can get insane combo options from it and he can semi-pillar with it.

His B-air is even more broken. IT FREAKING BREAKS SHIELDS BETTER THAN MARTH'S NEUTRAL B. Not to mention this attack has less lag, the hits connect better, and the last hit pushes people far away. This is the one attack you want to spam with G&W. The diminishing power factor does not make this move worse!

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Game & Watch is pretty sick in Brawl. I was pretty horrid with him in Melee, but I can already do pretty good with him in Brawl (love the light blue color). His up-tilt has IASA frames... I think... or it just ends faster. Either way, it's pretty easy to spam and doesn't leave you open nearly as much as in Melee. fair has huge knockback... makes you wanna save it for killing (due to diminishing returns)... which is why dashing into a reversed back air is soooo useful for him, since his bair is **** too. The fishbowl is great. Comes out fast and does good damage, so it and the bair are good for building damage. I even hit a computer with the bucket already, and it did good damage (filled it from a fire flower). Also, he keeps the bucket contents after death if my memory serves me correctly. Unsure if he did or not in Melee, but wanna say he lost the bucket contents in Melee upon death. About the only move I can't work in is the Side B... really short range. Of course it's random power, so not the best choice even if it did have reliable accuracy.

And he's just fun to play.

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
Game & Watch is pretty sick in Brawl. I was pretty horrid with him in Melee, but I can already do pretty good with him in Brawl (love the light blue color). His up-tilt has IASA frames... I think... or it just ends faster. Either way, it's pretty easy to spam and doesn't leave you open nearly as much as in Melee. fair has huge knockback... makes you wanna save it for killing (due to diminishing returns)... which is why dashing into a reversed back air is soooo useful for him, since his bair is **** too. The fishbowl is great. Comes out fast and does good damage, so it and the bair are good for building damage. I even hit a computer with the bucket already, and it did good damage (filled it from a fire flower). Also, he keeps the bucket contents after death if my memory serves me correctly. Unsure if he did or not in Melee, but wanna say he lost the bucket contents in Melee upon death. About the only move I can't work in is the Side B... really short range. Of course it's random power, so not the best choice even if it did have reliable accuracy.

G&W always had the bucket even with death. He only loses it if he uses it.

Bucket got SUCH a buff now that it no longer just some GAG attack. Little lag after invic frames, and most things will kill at around 60% or so if not less! 0-o;

Fair while has more landing lag ( did it NEED more?!?! ) is STILL a great areal killer, and the Bair is almost as good as a Mr. saturn for shield popping. Nair is a mixed bag of speed and multi-hitting but less pushback, Uair is just plain mean now screwing up many characters aerial assaults.

D-Smash no longer needs the tip to be good ( but landing it does kill faster... ), and U-Smash kills at lower %'s then its melee counterpart ( wait...wha?... ).

Oh ya...attacking out of UpB is uber like R.O.B.

Very few things can now stand toe-to-toe vs. this little guy...Ike, R.O.B, and Pit though seem to give him a few issues...

Ike can 4-shot G&W but then he's much slower so its like saying Ganon can 4-Shot many people in Melee...

R.O.B. can fly, nuff said...Then again G&W + Lasers = Win.

Pit not only takes a while to die, but then his attacks will go pass G&W's at times ( o_0; )...More annoying then say Puff vs. Watch...

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
i dont like the new Lag on the bucket, but wahtever once you fill it up your opponent knows he needs to like, stop. GW has enough kill moves as it is, filling my bucket a few times a match = ur a careless player

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
G&W got buffed? NOOOOO way, naaa you must be joking, he is not buffed, he has always being a smash god, you know who got real buffed up? Your mama.

And for all of you G&W mains, know this: I hate you all, sooo jealous. He is soooooo good.
Do you know how hard for someone who mains Wario, to beat a great G&W player at this stage of the game? It's so stupid, how could they decided to buff him this much, while Gannon got the kick on the balls?

The side B is BS on Level 9, so don't give me any BS about it's range b/c it's broken and you just don't understand it yet. Just imagine what if Wario's down B always have the same range but different power. It will be so broken, so there.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice

Lay off baby blue...That's mine!

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
G&W got buffed? NOOOOO way, naaa you must be joking, he is not buffed, he has always being a smash god, you know who got real buffed up? Your mama.

And for all of you G&W mains, know this: I hate you all, sooo jealous. He is soooooo good.
Do you know how hard for someone who mains Wario, to beat a great G&W player at this stage of the game? It's so stupid, how could they decided to buff him this much, while Gannon got the kick on the balls?

The side B is BS on Level 9, so don't give me any BS about it's range b/c it's broken and you just don't understand it yet. Just imagine what if Wario's down B always have the same range but different power. It will be so broken, so there.
bro quit hating
no wario's
game and watch only...

get off the board haha

final destination

DeaTh-ShiNoBi

Smash Rookie
bair

I vote G&W's turtle for best move in the game.

It's got the prio, the range, the speed, and it goes through shields o.O

FuPoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SplashWoman
i main ness and gaw in melee and i can say he got a pretty good upgrade in this game

but his 2 best moves (in my opinion) were the manhole (down-a) and his parachute (aerial neutral-a) in melee

nair got totally cut from the game an replacded for safe landing from the upB. that goldfishtank thing isnt cutting it for me sadly. the manhole. oh my god that manhole was the best move to put people in the air and good unexpected ko in melee. now its just knocks them away with little force

napZzz

Smash Hero
Yeah, his turtle is probably the most buffed move in the game. His nair is'nt that bad. Its good for keeping opponents in the air and comes out quick. But his man hole did get nerfed. It used to kill at about 90% to most characters :(

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
i main ness and gaw in melee and i can say he got a pretty good upgrade in this game

but his 2 best moves (in my opinion) were the manhole (down-a) and his parachute (aerial neutral-a) in melee

nair got totally cut from the game an replacded for safe landing from the upB. that goldfishtank thing isnt cutting it for me sadly. the manhole. oh my god that manhole was the best move to put people in the air and good unexpected ko in melee. now its just knocks them away with little force
G&W's N-air in Melee was NOT his best attack. Far from it, actually. It was way too slow. His new N-air is better due to coming out a lot faster and being a strong move defensively due to multiple hits. G&W has like way too many good kill moves srsly, so screw his old N-air. And by the way, G&W's new Up-B is absolutely broken. Quite seriously, it gives him the best recovery in the entire game and makes him a beast at juggling enemies.

His old D-tilt was very good. His new D-tilt is still very good. It's just different. You use it to play spacing games in Brawl, which you couldn't do so well in Melee because of its short range. By the way, stop fretting about his D-tilt. Look at his D-smash instead. That attack is freaking nuts. It's either a strong semispike or a vertical killer. It's just way too strong.

Mr. G&W has new attacks which are much better than both his original N-air and D-air. He has no bad attacks in his moveset. His moves are all very useful for something.

I vote G&W's turtle for best move in the game.

It's got the prio, the range, the speed, and it goes through shields o.O
Yeah, like that one. =D

Oh yeah, and now it seems his D-air is broken. Nessbounder mentioned that you can Footstool jump to D-air, and if you do it fast enough, it can't be blocked.

G&W is like so ****ing strong. Literally competing with Ike in terms of raw knockback. His Smash attacks are so bad*** now that they kill at even lower percentages than they did in Melee, and they were already extremely strong in Melee.

FuPoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SplashWoman
good thing i said opinion! the slowness of the melee nair nevered bothered me. you can throw it out randonmly while trying to edgeguard. GREAT knockback too. heck now that i think about it, if the chute was still in, itll make him more of a god than anything

Roman.

Smash Champion
GW to good
This just made me think for the past 10 minutes, then my brain kinda melted.

Even with GaW buffed and prob one of the best characters in brawl, nobody likes to use him. Whatever, more techniques for me to find.

By the way, I'm just going to make a super cool awesome G&W thread for questions and answers... look forward to it and subscribe!

Top Bottom