• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W's Up-smash

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just thought I would throw it out here since it doesn't get explicitly mentioned.

His head (not his entire body) is completely invincible while the hitbox is out.

The way I tested this was against Wolf. I put Wolf a certain distance away from G&W so that his blaster would land a glancing blow on G&W as he Up-smashed. The blaster never touched G&W during certain frames (presumably the hitbox frames) but during runs where it touched him slightly after those frames, you would see sparks indicating a glancing blow.

Don't try this against Falco's blaster...it will go a little bit inside your head, and then hit you.

Also, unfortunately, this does not protect you from Snake's grenades 99% of the time. Only G&W's head is invincible. It is possible however to Up-B into Snake as he grenade shields and escape unscathed while blowing him up.

Unless I'm mistaken, this attack can go right through Marth's shieldbreaker (happened to me during a match). Don't count on it though if he spaces it right at the very tip.

Yeah but anyhow, just to clarify why being above G&W is dangerous. There's probably quite a few attacks that we don't think of Up-smashing that we can with some good timing (I heard it was possible to Up-smash G&W's D-air for example).

Up-smashing out of shield is also possible against aggressive opponents when you realize that most attacks in this game linger around negative advantages on shield in the high 20s.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Is this really true? I remember back when this first came out people believe that his UpSmash had invincibility frames (similar to melee) but then they were proven wrong or something. I always thought it just had extreme priority and a massive hitbox.

I wonder what frames it has invincibility on. Testers, go!

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I wish I could test this. I always thought that G&W's hurtbox became smaller during certain frames and that it also has a disjointed hitbox.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
If it's only his head instead of his entire body, wouldn't that be a pointer to the Z-axis?

Or no it wouldn't, Marth's counter also has a weakspot at his left foot.

I always thought it just had extreme priority and a massive hitbox.
Extreme priority how? Not as much as dtilt or fsmash, wouldn't call it extreme ^^

Just thinking out loud, you can ignore this post.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Is this really true? I remember back when this first came out people believe that his UpSmash had invincibility frames (similar to melee) but then they were proven wrong or something. I always thought it just had extreme priority and a massive hitbox.

I wonder what frames it has invincibility on. Testers, go!
I'm very certain it's the hitbox frames. No earlier, no later.

If it was any earlier, it would probably be for 1 frame before the hitbox came out (since the charge stance has no invul frames).

I highly doubt they last significantly later than the hitbox. You can get hit out of the ending lag frames. As I indicated from testing with Wolf (his blaster never clanks), on the ending lag frames, I was able to achieve a glancing blow on G&W's head. However when I timed the attack to be out as the blaster grazed G&W, there was no glancing blow.

Neb

Smash Lord
I tested it a little bit in debug mode and there's a fat chance usmash has invincibility frames. Wolf's blaster would go halfway into his helmet, then inflict damage a frame or two later. I tested this at various timings, direction (backwards), and distances, same result. I think either 1. G&W's hurtbox is smaller while the hitbox is out, 2. the hitbox of Wolf's blaster isn't exactly at its point, 3. usmash is disjointed.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's invincibility frames for a specific part of his body. What I assume from your testing is that Wolf's blaster is hitting G&W's neck.

Smaller hurtbox is the same thing as invul frames for a part of the body.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
my guess...

gw's hurtbox shrinks massively, his head becomes a disjointed hitbox

same things sorta for his fsmash, cept no hurtbox shrinking.

Top Bottom