• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W vs Peach Help

QERB

Banned via Warnings
So I checked my pools for Pound 4 at midnight last night when they came out. And 2 of the 4 players that I have to play against are peach mains (or so it seems after I did a little bit of scouting heh). I don't have much peach practice, only a little cheezit practice. So any advice about anything in this matchup will be appreciated.

BTW the 2 peaches are MikeyLenetia and basketofseals.

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
sorry, i dont know much about peach match ups.....

but with what experience i do have, peach will crouch cancel to dsmash at early %s, so you gotta be really careful with spacing

try to fair while keeping out of her range, try lots of dtilts to nairs?, and get 9's.....everytime....

good luck man

QERB

Banned via Warnings
sorry, i dont know much about peach match ups.....

but with what experience i do have, peach will crouch cancel to dsmash at early %s, so you gotta be really careful with spacing

try to fair while keeping out of her range, try lots of dtilts to nairs?, and get 9's.....everytime....

good luck man
thanks kuya!

yea peach's dsmash ***** g&w at low %'s, i def gotta watch out for that.

i feel like all you have to do is get peach above you, and then keep her there with u-tilts and n-airs. getting her above you is the hard part, especially on stages like FD.

Turnips are also annoying. And peaches dash attack rips through gw's shield like none other. light shielding doesnt help either cuz then you get pushed too far back to shield grab.

Any tips? Or are these just unfortunate facts that i have to deal with lol.

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
We want Peach to be up in the air.
---------

Approaching her:
She is going to be using turn ups to bate you in most of the time; let the Peach player believe that it is bating you in by getting closer immediately, and continuing to do so after the first turn up she throws. Fight off the turn ups with your Fair and Bair. Use one of these moves more than the other. Preferably the Fair so that they will least expect a Bair(our goal); you will reduce the risk of being punished from using a Bair this way too. Its also a good habit to use less Bair.

Creating suspense to make her approach you:
You can use wavedash out of shield into another shield from the bombardment of her turn ups to create suspense about your approach, uncertainty; it will make it seem like your begging for more. Ultimately induce her/the P**ch, to continue spamming.

After playing with them for a little while(mentally) by wavedashing out of shield into another shield, and you know its pretty safe, spam SAUSAGES/BACON!(hahahaha!!!). What a better way to retaliate against spamming by spamming back! One or two of these delicious bad boys will get your opponent to try and approach you(give them the old knuckle sandwich(prob. a fair) if they do). If you know the patterns, don't forget to remember the last type of sausage trajectory it had and its speed; you may get lucky later!

Thoughts
---------
I believe that Bair and Fair are the best ways towards approaching a Peach with safety.

Creating suspense by my method is safe I think. It also adds as element/style of fighting which I think you all agree is very good.

I think Sausages are pretty safe to use against a Peach. Peach isn't as fast as Captain Falcon to run away or jump from a bombardment of sausages. She can't afford to counter sausages with her neutral B(Toad) do to the long lasting animation of the attack that can be punished for.

EDIT: I don't know if Jump Out Of Dair(JOOD) to a turn up grab will work. Its Dairing a turn up then grabbing it after you jump out of the Dair. If it works, it may be mindgamey against Peaches.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
sooo my pools JUST changed and now I got ChuDat and Zoap in my pool. So only one peach...but then there's one chu dat lol. my least favorite matchup of all time g&w vs. ice climbers. o boy.

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
sooo my pools JUST changed and now I got ChuDat and Zoap in my pool. So only one peach...but then there's one chu dat lol. my least favorite matchup of all time g&w vs. ice climbers. o boy.
Its Chu Dat, its going to be a tough fight.

You know what to do; Dtilt all day =D . Well for the most part of the match.

Hmm... I've been thinking lately ICs cant grab too high and there upsmash/tilts don't extend to far. In this match maybe a JOOD would work? Its just a idea, and this has not been tested before. Its just a idea worth mentioning.

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
Recently i've been messing around with approaches, if you see peach about to pluck a turnip do a long wave dash fsmash basically this can kill her at 81% ish on some stages, your fair can be spaced very well, basically if you can shffl fair while retreating.

From facing right the button input is. X, <, >A, Down, R, you can do 4 fairs in 2 seconds creating a i would be stupid to approach this wall which only combos into more fairs which outranges everything i believe.

On stages like fd you can face away from peach wave dash away(small) wave dash towards long and then short hop fast fall bair to poke her in the air, from there try and aim for peaches lower half lol.

Good luck man

Also if you ever dtilt and peach get's sent behind you wavedash backwards and instantly utilt.

Love gaw.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
be sure to catch the turnips if you can. you`re gonna need to play super defensive against peach. and since i believe your movement is faster than her, this makes big stages very ideal. the peach may pick a stage like mute for her counter and if she`s REALLY smart, she`ll pick japes(probably gaw`s worst stage). anyways, gaw`s strat this match will be hit and run. in and out, like a robbery or a bootycall. fairs bairs and dtilts will be weapons of choice will the occasional utilt, ftilt, chef or turnip(because you will be catching them or else you will be getting effed up.) big stages will be useful because if peach corners you, you`re screwed. space fairss and bairs on her i can`t stress enough to NOT get cornered or pressured into your sheild. keep her at bay. gaw has more disjointsed range than peach so use this to your advantage. you have to play extremely tight. utilts can knock turnips into the air if you aren`t confident in your ability to catch them. catching is more beneficial though because if you consistently catch them, peach will be more wary to pull them. turnip catches can shift the momentum drastically because a shorthop throw can be wavelanded into to a grab if they sheil and a tilt or smash if they`re hit

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
double post because i`m on my phone. this is all theory. i`ve never gone against good peaches in tourney with gaw. i only play ic in tourney unless i feel confident in my gaw. also, chudat is gonna be rough with game and watch. you won`t get grabbed often if you space well. but their sheilds are tough to l_cancel off of. especially when ic does the light/hardsheild. it`s brutal. lots of dtilt in this match. keep them in the air. our dair sucks. dtilt-nair *****

QERB

Banned via Warnings
Wow thanks alot everyone, there is some really good stuff here for me to test out before pound. ****.

<3 g&w boards.

EDIT: Any more advice will still be much appreciated. heh.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
>.> I know i'm a little late here buuuuuuut I have experience against peach players, against mikey too actually. Recovering vs peach is stupid... really stupid. If you get hit off the edge you're done >.< Counterpicking I try to go to a stage like brinstar so you at least have lava to help ya out, cause you're just gonna get ***** trying to up-b back to the stage.

As far as fighting goes platforms are good, seeing as how whenever a peach is on a platform, many times they dsmash if you run below them. If you jump into it you get hit by a dsmash 3-4 times, but it's not hard to wavedash back and fair them out of it, WATCH YOUR SPACING, IT SUCKS YOU IN IF YOU AREN'T CAREFUL. I find bair generally works well against peach... I'm not sure why but I just toss it out and they tend to run into it.

@PLUR: Don't throw turnips. G&W has such a stupidly slow throw... it's like freaking bowser x.x By all means catch them, cause you won't get hit by them, but if you catch a turnip I like to jump over them and drop it, tossing a bair/dair after it depending on my momentum. Also don't always catch turnips, you'll get predictable if you don't watch out and peach players WILL **** YOU FOR IT.

If you see them come at you with a float typically they will FC fair > dsmash/grab you... don't even try to sheild it, just run and bair them if you can. once in a while you can mindgame them and just wavedash backwards with an fsmash. fsmash > peach fair =D

It's not too hard to get a nair on peach if you get ANY KIND OF SETUP AT ALL. Grab = nair, dtilt = nair! jab = grab/aerial... but grab still = nair! nair ***** peach's recovery if peach doesn't recover low. tru factz! I have a harder time edgeguarding low recoveries though.

If you wanna be fancy and can guess when they're gonna drop an FC'd fair on you you can usmash them out of it.

OH YEA! if they float right along the ground you can dtilt them out of it... though the peaches i play will float a short distance off the ground because of my dtilt =(

uhhh peach ***** G&W but not as badly as I always hear. Also Mikey is ****, I've only beaten him on brimstar with G&W x.x he's ****.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
yuh, cactuar, gaw`s throw is really slow but the risk vs reward is generally better than punishing with any of gaw`s other moves, sans maybe grab, which is situational anyways. fair is pretty much isolated damage but punishing a mistake with a turnip throw has more follow ups than that. if she gets hit, you can do anything out of it and if she sheilds then you`re safe to grab her out of it. then again, i`m nowhere near as good as you so i`m most likely wrong.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
turnips other than dot eyes and stitchfaces don't have enough sheildstun to keep peach in a sheild long enough to get a grab out. peach can OoS nair really quickly =s

also throw a turnip with G&W and look at how slow it is...

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
Cactuar, we should G&W ditto MM someday =D Also, anyone else have any peach info they wanna put up? It seems like a lot of G&W players have issues with peach and it wouldn't be bad to get opinions from people who don't suck *like me* =D

QERB

Banned via Warnings
i'll try to help, but i got ***** by peaches at pound throughout all my pools...wife, zoap...etc... just sayin lol
actually i took a game off zoap i think...anyway

u-tilt and d-air work really good against peach i found out...but it's still really difficult to approach..try not to if you dont have to. Watch out because her up-smash....yes her up-smash out prioritizes g&w's d-air

Approaching with f-air is pretty tough since you have to space it perfectly every time or you're gonna get cc d-smashed everytime. But if you get peach to put her shield up it's always a good thing since she can't do much, other than n-air out of it. Once she puts her shield up you can pressure it with d-tilts and jabs hopefully she'll jump out of her shield right when you jab her so you can follow it with a d-tilt or grab.

- d-throw to judgement/n-air all day
- one of the easier characters to pan-spike...still hard to pull off...just gotta predict when she starts "fast-falling" her up-b to the edge and you can get a quick gimp, which is nice
- if she's a platform above you and you're scared of getting d-smash, the u-air will rip through it as long as you place it right beneath her, which is sweet cuz her d-smash on platforms is usually scary.

And when you're recovering make sure to hold out that f-air to block turnips, and u-air if she throws a turnip down at you when you're trying to get your sweetspot distance.

that's about it other than that i get raaaped.

AND...there's now an official matchup discussion for those of you don't know yet! It's still being worked on but since we don't have any "pro" or dominant g&w players, we all need to pool our info together so let's get to it!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262654

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
i`ve noticed that alot of peaches can`t consistently FCnair out of sheild so they usually just settle for SHNair out of sheild. i THINK that GaW`s crouch is short enough to avoid this. i may be wrong though. The point of this is, if you attack Peach`s sheild, you`re pretty much safe if you space it and don`t miss the l-cancel.

Top Bottom