• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FW - more than 16 directions?

julm

Smash Rookie
Whoo my first post.

So I was practicing ledge-stealing yesterday, and I found that from the same position (the leftmost "<" on FD) I could either land on the stage, or just miss the ledge. I know that it wasn't a southwest teleport because that took me out much further. So I tried this just normally on FD going right and found that I could teleport more distances between south and southeast than just south-southeast. I guess it would be like south-south-southeast or something >_>. If this is what you meant by 16 directions (it is more concise xD), then sorry, but I felt that there was enough of a difference between them to clarify, since it did make the difference between dieing and landing on the stage when ledge stealing.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
We've discussed this in the FW thread actually.. it probably doesn't need it's own thread but thats fine.
The way I calculate there are actually 40 directions, and luthien had a preliminary analysis that seemed to agree.

I think for the large majority of cases, aiming for 16 directions is sufficient.
I don't know how plausible it is to be able to aim any more accurately.

Villi

Smash Lord
On the ground, you can get as short as a couple of character distances away. It's hard to keep my thumb still on an angle so close to a notch, so I try to time it by rolling the joystick backward passed down, then back to 14 degrees or whatever. It works when you're both just standing there or you got your opponent scared of you.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Yeah it's no problem, and it was a really brief discussion anyway.
Probably only 2-3 replies in total about it.
>.< Yeah.

Sorry, I should update that thread's first post sometime soon.

At any rate, you are correct, FW does indeed go more than 16 directions. If you're using all 16 correctly, you can almost always space appropriately to recover safely. Almost.

If you ever want to go more in depth with your teleporting, the general directions I suggest working on first are the North-northeast and the North-northwest regions. These are the angles where you are under a lot of pressure to recover, and a slip up could cost you a stock.

The East-northeast and West-northwest directions generally aren't as risky, since you've got less pressure pressing too far towards the stage won't send you under it because you're farther away than when you would be using a North-northwest/east teleport. Spacing with them is important, but you can get by with a milimeter's slip of the thumb if you must. Not always true for the North-northwest/east teleports.

I'm currently trying to incorperate all of the teleport directions into my game, and mastering most of the distances has worked wonders for my on-the-ground teleporting game. However, I'm teleporting a lot less now due to punishment.

julm

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah. I think I'll go practice those now. My recovery is pretty bad sometimes T_T. Thanks for the tips :).

popsofctown

Smash Champion
wow, didn't know this.
I'm sorry to disagree, I think the difference between 40 and 16 directions is important... Sometimes I have gone straight up instead of north-north-northeast because I was certain the angle i wanted was less than 22.5 degrees.

Luthien

Smash Ace
wow, didn't know this.
I'm sorry to disagree, I think the difference between 40 and 16 directions is important... Sometimes I have gone straight up instead of north-north-northeast because I was certain the angle i wanted was less than 22.5 degrees.
Well, kind of. Generally you can space yourself so that a simple Northeast teleport will get the job done. However, sometimes you need to use a North-northeast because you're character can't get to the Northeast angle in time before you're out of recovery range. Almost always, North-northeast is all you need.

However, North-north-northeast should be used if you know you held left for a little too long and North-northeast will have you reappear below the ledge. It shouldn't be so much a planned action as it should be a reaction to overcompensation or bad spacing. Why?

Because of what you just said. The differences between North and North-north-northeast is so small that too close to north or too low will get you killed (by the way, a Northern teleport isn't limited to just pushing your stick into the top notch/corner thing. If you don't move the knob far enough away from the notch/corner thing, you will still teleport North). So how can you avoid that? Simple.

Landmarks. Try to find North-northeast first, and if you notice that you're too close to the stage, try to move your knob a tad farther up than normal. I find that this is easier than aiming North, then trying to aim North-north-northeast because it's harder to resist the urge to get away from the upper notch than it is to slide your knob from between the two notches. Practice, and it'll come.

But yeah, that said, you should be spacing so that a North-northeast teleport will work. Spacing is less risky than looking down at your controller to check where you're aiming.

Top Bottom