• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fun and Games with Cans

imabaer

Smash Rookie
I've been using Duck Hunt a bit recently and finding him surprisingly fun. I've been playing around with can a lot and am writing a mini guide about it. Be gentle, but criticisms and observations are welcome.

Basics about the can

There are two basic ways to make the can explode: either have it reach its self destruct timer through hits or time, or to have it collide with an opponent or an opponent's shield while it is in motion. The second in particular is the important part: any of Duck Hunt's moves that move the can will give it an additional chance to explode in your opponent's face while allowing you better mix ups.

You've got much greater control over the can than I initially thought: if you spam B as rapidly as possible, it will take a more vertical trajectory. If you spread out your neutral B's, the longer it's in the air, the further it will travel with each tap: you can easily hit someone on the other end of an omega stage by doing so.

The can is amazing for controlling an opponent's air approach, because of how well you can control it; you can basically deter them from taking their typical paths.

Once the can lands, the momentum drops considerably, to the point where you'll want to make a new can if you want to stop aerial approaches. It's still great as a zoning tool and to deter ground approaches. A can on the ground mixes well with your other moves. Your side and down B will nudge it forward as well, giving it an extra chance to blow up i your opponent's face.

The can "remembers" what direction it was pushed last; subsequent B's will nudge it in that direction. You or your opponent can change this direction by hitting it.

There are 3 ways to have your can blow up in your face:
-Be next to a moving can when it touches your opponent.
-Be next to a can at the end of the self destruct timer.
-Have an opponent knock it at you with an attack.

You cannot neutral B it at yourself, nor will it blow up when you attack it (it may, however, activate the self destruct timer). Furthermore, the can does not change ownership with regular attacks from your opponent. This means that once it hits the ground, you can continue nudging it with Neutral B afterward. Reflectors do seem to change ownership. You can still nudge it with your neutral B, but it will blow up in your face on impact.

Can Dashing

The can meshes well with Duck Hunt's dash attack: if you hit it head on with the duck, it will launch at about a 40 degree angle at a decent speed. If you don't sweet spot it, it gets launched backward.

The important part is that you can stop the momentum of the can with a neutral B, and the direction of the nudge will always occur in the direction of your dash. So if you sweet spot the can, you can launch the can the length of the stage and basically have your pick of where to place it. If you sour spot the can, you can either surprise an approaching opponent or place the can into a more desirable position between the two of you.

Interactions with other Specials

Side B: Can and Clay Pigeon are best friends. You generally want to always have the can out first, as once you huck a disc, the B to explode the pigeon has priority over nudging the can. The pigeon will nudge the can, as will the explosion, meaning if your timing is good, you can remote detonate the can in your opponent's face with these. Bigger and longer lasting explosions are fun.

Down B: All of your gunmen except for the tall black one will nudge the can a good distance. If you want to reset your can's direction at a distance, these guys are a nice option to have.

Up B: There's a discovery I made with this that is potentially huge. Your default Up B will always fly you up a set distance, which makes your recovery predictable.

What this means, however, is all you need to control is your left and right movements. You can control your can in the middle of an Up B, as long as you are not holding Up on the circle pad. So basically, if you get knocked off stage, make sure you are facing the stage, launch a can, activate Up B. While you are steering DH back to the stage, you can use the can to help cover your landing by madly tapping the B button.

Recycling

There are times where your can is almost out of nudges, or it's on the very tip of the stage, or the timer's almost run out. Make a habit of disposing of useless cans by either knocking them off the stage or blowing them up early with neutral B. Can is a huge part of your arsenal, so you always want it to be available or in a good position.

Random Miscellany
-It reflects Gordos from DDD. Most projectiles will nudge it, but not blow it up.
-It seems to do slightly less damage to Duck Hunt than to your opponent. Knock back seems identical at equal percentages.

Last edited:

Spirst

Also something cool is that if you place the can right next to the ledge, go on the ledge, then do the get-up attack, the can will fly majority of the length of FD and hit someone all the way on the other side.

alonecuzzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2422-6131
nice!

it'd be cool if you could write about general strategies in terms of controlling ground space with the can... i think you mentioned vertical space a bit in terms of deterring jumping characters...

examples would be cool as well... informative stuff though

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
You forgot how The Can can explode and redirect your knockback if you're hit while in freeze frames. Which can let you survive Mac's K.O uppercut, but you'll take damage from both sources, racking a massive amount of damage on you, but you still live(unless you're above 150%)

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
This reminds me that later tonight I'll be making a video of some tricks most don't know you can do with cans. Most of them include sideb.

Also remember that the can's hitbox is actually smaller than the hitbox of the shots that move the can, meaning they can be hit by the can but not cause it to explode. Cans can combo into themselves this way.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Hitting the can with the sour spot of your dash attack (the dog hits it instead of the duck) will cause the can to fly behind you, however it can be shot reverse now.

For example

Spawn the can to the right and hit it with the sour spot, causing it to fly to the left, however you can still shoot it and make it hop to the right. It's a pretty interesting mix up.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I prefer pivoting ftilts, less strict timing and turns you around. Does go less far though. Might need to learn to utilize both.

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
Does changing the angle of the ftilt change the arc or the can when you hit it?

theDeven1

Smash Rookie
I've seen Dunnobro have the can drop straight down in mid-air and have it change direction without being hit. Does any one know how he does this? magic?

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I've seen Dunnobro have the can drop straight down in mid-air and have it change direction without being hit. Does any one know how he does this? magic?
Are you talking about that bit at 5:06 where the can falls straight down? 'Cause I'd like to know that works too!

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
He posted about it in another thread. I'll just copypaste what he dun wrote!

"I posted about it before, I call it the "soursweetspot reverse shot"

When you dash attack the can just as it's landing, it will go forward but when shot again it will come back. It'll look like you hit it normally, but make the sourspot noise when you hit.

The only way to really make use of that reliably is:

Trick shot >shoot the can once > dash attack.

It's possible to do it without shooting it once, but it gives it a generally less favorable trajectory, doesn't fake out opponents thinking it's going straight up to them, and also just plain makes it really hard to do.

This is an overall superior way to pressure opponents above you when you have the time, since it lets you cover multiple options.
(including air dodges and jumps) And if you purposely alter the timing in the event you notice them jumping behind you/your cans original trajectory, you can get the normal sourspot letting the can go behind DHD, or the normal sweetspot to have it momentum cancel in the normal fashion. (Generally useful for if you notice them going offstage/jumping away from the stage)

It's virtually impossible for them to know which way you shot/are going to shoot it until you actually do. So there's never a right decision they can make in that situation.

It's a pretty tricky timing and it's taken a long time to find out how to utilize it in real matches, but the sheer fact even failing to hit them this way results in you keeping the can on-stage and nearby makes it worth doing.
"

Last edited:

theDeven1

Smash Rookie
He posted about it in another thread. I'll just copypaste what he dun wrote!

"I posted about it before, I call it the "soursweetspot reverse shot"

When you dash attack the can just as it's landing, it will go forward but when shot again it will come back. It'll look like you hit it normally, but make the sourspot noise when you hit.

The only way to really make use of that reliably is:

Trick shot >shoot the can once > dash attack.

It's possible to do it without shooting it once, but it gives it a generally less favorable trajectory, doesn't fake out opponents thinking it's going straight up to them, and also just plain makes it really hard to do.

This is an overall superior way to pressure opponents above you when you have the time, since it lets you cover multiple options.
(including air dodges and jumps) And if you purposely alter the timing in the event you notice them jumping behind you/your cans original trajectory, you can get the normal sourspot letting the can go behind DHD, or the normal sweetspot to have it momentum cancel in the normal fashion. (Generally useful for if you notice them going offstage/jumping away from the stage)

It's virtually impossible for them to know which way you shot/are going to shoot it until you actually do. So there's never a right decision they can make in that situation.

It's a pretty tricky timing and it's taken a long time to find out how to utilize it in real matches, but the sheer fact even failing to hit them this way results in you keeping the can on-stage and nearby makes it worth doing.
"
thanks! do you have the link to that thread?

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Did DunnoBro ever explain how he made the can drop straight down?

Top Bottom