• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frustration

Zone

Smash Champion
Normally I am a person who understands practice makes perfect, And losing is a learning experience. I was this way hardcore when playing StarCraft or FFXI. Lately though, me and my friend Newb have been even match. But he's been winning far more lately.

and after the first 3-4 matches I do fine but when I get in a losing streak I think my mindset sets to "I suck" mode, and I respond slow and do everything slow. I keep falling for tricks, I never use to before. I feel like i'm "losing skill"

I play crappy under pressure/frustration. I never really experienced this problem til recently. Losing to someone u use to think of as ur equal over and over again. even if it is by bearly. I've tried keeping a clear head but frustration keeps arising. I don't get mad. Just dissapointed at my lack of ability to focus/tech well when i'm frustrated.

Overall, I use to love this game. I believe it got less fun to me, when me and him got competitive against eachother. It is no longer "haha oh man I can't believe the turtle came up and saved u jsut then." Now it's "Dammit omfg lucky crap". Everything seems more personal instead of fun.

Is it like this with anyone else?
Once the game goes like this should I just drop it?
What's the point in playing if ur not enjoying urself?
You think i just don't like the game cuz its one sided now?

(Note: I don't have infinite time to "Practice". Full-time + TAking many classes.)
(And I do practice tech skill with what little time i can muster in)

Thanks for ur response prior.

One more note-
He really doesn't want me to stop playing, saying only i can help him improve, I don't think so though. I'm stuck at a wall with my frustration. It's like we're are climbing stairs that are huge, I can't get higher w/o him and he can't get higher w/o me. But i'm stuck A few steps below now. He can't go any higher with me. He should move on to someone higher to pull him up.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Your not losing skill but instead your partner is learning how to play against you.He his figuring out what counter to counter and your playstyle.If you want to get better you need to let go of your ego and accept it.

Now ask yourself are you trying to be a Pro?.You have other priorities in life now.If he beats you laugh at it he'll soon get the idea and your fighting will end.When you practice try to focus on things you dont know and always implement them in battle.

You need treat your partner as training for the real thing.The way you get better is by trying new things against him and learn from it.Youll lose alot of matches by doing this but in the end youll be the winner.

Just like FFXI levels 1-75 are for gaining Experiance and training for the real thing like NM and Skygods.

Something in life is burning you out and you are taking out your frustrations on Smash. lol

Zone

Smash Champion
No I am "losing skill" when i'm frustrated. like i said I play fine only the first few matches, then my wave shine turns into a shine air dodge and my attempt to shffl sex kick turns into full jumps -.-;. not so much later.

He isn't bad about winning u know, like those pple that rub it in. No he trys to encourage me. But lately, the game is feeling more foreign, Not sure how to explain it really. Might be best If i posted a video i guess of the first 2 matches we play fresh out of the day. then show 2 matches 20 matches later.

U'll definantly see a downhill fall.

I'm basically saying. Since the game has become serious, Frustration arrives when losing. When we weren't serious. Worries of losing didn't matter. But you can't get better playing all goofy all the time.

But yea in StarCraft I lost i saved replay learned why i lost. FFXI when I die I reread the chat log to see what went wrong. I never had this problem til SSBM birthed competitive play to me, against my friend.

Ego = I have no ego to get rid of, if you have none to begin with.
in other words it's already been destroyed if i had one.

"Laugh at it" that would constitute a fake laugh. otherwords lying. Unless it really amused me. I'm not going to be fake.

Thank you for ur opinion

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Just out of curiousity what kind of tv are you using?

So you know Ive been thru this phase 2 times in my smash career and it was all because matches were one sided.

Zone

Smash Champion
T.V.? depends. a kind of small one mostly about a foot and a half wide. or a Big screen. and sometimes on the computer if We feel like recording and watching the matches to study.

Zone

Smash Champion
thanks for the tip on the big screen T.V. and yea we thought about how weird it felt since it is kinda stretched on it. But yea we mostly just play on small T.V. and it's not HDTV.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
StarCraft is fun id love to playing you sometime I hope you get out of you smash blues soon maybe others can help you.

Zone

Smash Champion
lol, maybe a good time away would do me good. make me miss it. Works kinda like anything u leave alone for a while. u start to miss it. like i'm missing SC now just talking aobut it lol!

I'm korean so my Starcraft skill is automatically +2 ;D
I went to korea and fought some pple there. I'm darn good. Beat Box 2nd best U.S.East player imo. Next to BrualS. of course it was 4-1 him being the 4 >.>;.

But yea i was in korea and i got pwned by a 13 year old korean boy and a 16 year old girl. (those stuck out cuz i wasn't expecting to lose AT ALL >.>;) lol was fun though.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Haha yes you need to unplug and play some starcraft for a bit Im going to reinstall the game so send me a PM so we can play.If you beat Beat Box Id would love to play you!!!

Zone

Smash Champion
Haha so u know who box is. that's great. sending a PM when learn how LOL. i'm not much a forumn person.

Zone

Smash Champion
Haha. No i know how. I just gonna have to relearn the hard hard parts like Cloning and macro keyboarding while microing with mouse.

Zone

Smash Champion
btw when i said Box I ment Q(O.oQ) not SlaYers_'BoXeR' if that's what ur thinking Boxer is a legend >.>

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Yes that video was a waste of time lol.I hope I play you sometime I have to sleep now so see you again.Install complete

ArC_man

Smash Ace
I think you have a bad mindset. You can't get over the fact that he has gotten better and is playing at a higher level compared to you now. Face the facts, the only way you'll start beating him again is if you practice more and play more against people. Get out to a tournament so you can gain more experience with the game.

If your tired of losing and you don't want to spend the time to get better, quit the game, you seem like you have much better **** to do anyways.

btw: Who the hell are Brujals and Box? I've been around the SC scene for a long time (I keep up to date w/ the pro and foreign scene as well) and I've never heard of them before.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Off Topic but on starcraft... Haha been a while since i played that game and all i ever used was use map settings so i could play evolves and snipers, never really liked the game online it was too slow since i sucked haha

On Topic: Take a time out when you start to lose it and grab a drink, i know where your coming from because i'm very competitive and hate to lose, so when i start i get wicked pissed. So yea thats about it take a timeout and just calm yourself down and then play and pwn on :)

Goron3

Smash Apprentice
Triple post !!!!!

Anyway, a while back i also lost interest in the game. i dunno why, but i just didnt feel comfortable with it.

About 2 weeks away i plugged smash into my cube and messed around with fox....I love the game again :D

Doraki

Smash Lord
The same things sometimes happens to me.
Like, suddenly not being able to do anything good tech-wise and mindgame-wise and the only things you notice in the match is how everything you do fail miserably.
You have to forget about your disappointment, stop being mas at yourself etc etc...., and you'll regain your skill quickly.
It's hard, it's already hard to notice it's happening, but you feel great when it goes away.

Thino

Smash Master
It happens to me too. when it does I'm just thinking I'm becoming too predictable in my moves and techs , so I try to change a bit my playstyle. Don't think you're losing skills , your opponent is just reading your moves better and getting better

Zone

Smash Champion
btw: Who the hell are Brujals and Box? I've been around the SC scene for a long time (I keep up to date w/ the pro and foreign scene as well) and I've never heard of them before.
They were the 2 guys on the East server who hung around Terran Strategy (I think) and the only pple i couldn't beat more than one out of like 13 or so matches probably. They were VERY good. People always going to them to challenge. Again this was just U.S.East server

Also, I think i'm possibly frustrated cuz I *think/thought* I was going backwards. To think of it That's the times i get frustrated with a GAme only when i go backwards. Say I didn't save a game like FFX and I die like 2 hours later cuz i didn't save. I go back 2 hours worth of gameplay thats frustrating. I guess I *Thought/think* I was going backwards since my tech skill went to poop, when I was getting frustrated from losing like 4 matches in a row. I think i'm too busy thinking about my sucking which is causing my sucking, cause instead of following his tech or DI i'm thinking about wow I can't believe I got shield grabbed twice in a row.

Sadnap

Smash Cadet
Wow, scv rush, awesomeness.

Despite your friend being ok with it, he might be annoyed slightly by your frustration too. The game should never be personal, as that would ruin the experience for both/all players.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The real challenge is not only beating him, but gaining the mindset and determination to win. If you are both supposedly equal in skill, then perhaps it's the person with the stronger will who can win. If you're worrying about when you're going to die first, how long until you KO him, are you doing ok in the match, etc., then you're distracting yourself. If you take the match seriously, you have to clear your head. Get some strategy/mindgames in there!

Or meditate before a match. I did on accident, and I think it worked. o_O

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
ZONE said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM

umm i never said that man what are you talking about...

break the mindset stop being predictable crush them

kiwiii

Smash Lord
most people play worse when they get frustrated, which is probably what's happening after you play your friend for 20 or so minutes, because he's winning. it's part of learning the game, to keep your focus and cool. i have this problem too, it's a b*tch but another obstacle to overcome if you're serious about improving.

people also get worse after learning a new tech skill, mind game, etc., because they're focusing on applying it to their game rather than playing a smart strategy overall. luckily it pays off in the end.

starcraft sucked up my life for a few years and 5 months after quitting, smash found me. haha ****it.

can you speak korean?

Zone

Smash Champion
My bad Kevin. I hit Quote button and simply cut adn pasted the words he said. i must've add it with ur name cuz i didn't want to quote his whole response. Ment to Quote Arcman (I suck at formuns)

Yea perhaps thats kinda it Kiwiii I been trying to apply 3 things with fox lately. Shffl Sex kicks (spam). Chain grabbing a fast faller, (I use to just throw them up and do up tilt like 3-4 times then smash.) and since i guess i'm trying to incorporate new things i see with fox, I'm not thinking about what's good for the situation, but making the thing i been practicing work. Hmm..

I speak Korean but basic needy stuff and some bad words. I can speak it quite well. but I can't type it.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
I found your problem as to why he started to beat you on a regular basis. You might have fallen into a rut, (The same opening combo and stratagies every time) or he has gotten used to your play style, and can predict your moves. The simple answer is all about practice, and using mindgames. Once you manipulate these techniques, you should be able to defeat him with ease.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
ahnyoungg =]
whenever i learn something new or decide to finally apply something outside of my practice into actual gameplay, i never do well because i ignore everything else. it's natural. that's why people say you get worse when you learn new tech skill, as ironic as it may seem.

::edit::
once you know how/when to apply that skill, it's only logical that you're an overall better technical player than previously to learning that move. forgot to add that part in d:

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
I lawled when I read this.

See what happens when you ask for advice on Smashboards, Zone... You LURN STUFF! :p

Lol, just messin man. I'm glad there were so many people willing to lend a hand and give advice. And I see some good advice in this thread. I'm also glad that things didn't play out something like; Zone: "I'm getting kinda frustrated losing to my friend, plz help?"
Random guy: "NO JOHNS, SON!"

As for the decision of whether or not to go through with any of the things you've read in this thread, I believe that depends on a couple of things. Obviously, it depends on how much you want to win. Though, it also depends on how much fun you're having, and in what way. Yearning to achieve something in a video game can be difficult if it's not fun. And what kind of fun do you have when we fight, Zone? Any? Does your concentration on performance during the match shut-out fun? Cus I've been there, and I know what causes it. I've said it before; Excessive losing isn't fun. Especially when you're trying your hardest at something. Even if the matches are pretty close.

Whatever the case, I hope you'll choose to improve, and furthermore, hope that you can have fun again. But, I'll understand if you don't. If I'm currently not fun enough to fight without beating consistently, why bother, right?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Stay unpredictable and take risks, never fall into a set tactic, always reinvent your combos and finishers. That's what I do and it has helped me whether I practice or not. But don't stop practicing otherwise you'll screw up easily, which happened to me after I didn't play melee for over a year.

Top Bottom